Export (or save as) .csv with text delimiters

Has anyone found a way of coercing Excel 2000 to export .csv files with
delimiter text?   e.g: as "Mickey Mouse","Minnie Mouse","Donald Duck"
not  Mickey Mouse,Minnie Mouse,Donald Duck

Thanks

Caroline

--
CarolineP
CarolineP's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=20007

http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/textfiles.html

--

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"CarolineP" <CarolineP.1kk29z@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message

> Has anyone found a way of coercing Excel 2000 to export .csv files with
> delimiter text?   e.g: as "Mickey Mouse","Minnie Mouse","Donald Duck"
> not  Mickey Mouse,Minnie Mouse,Donald Duck
>
> Thanks
>
> Caroline
>

> --
> CarolineP
> CarolineP's Profile:
http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=20007
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=345941

0
terre081 (3244)
2/16/2005 4:57:08 PM
And another alternative:

I think that Earl Kiosterud's Text Write program:
www.smokeylake.com/excel
(or directly:  http://www.smokeylake.com/excel/text_write_program.htm)

has options built into that do what you want (right out of the box).

CarolineP wrote:

> Has anyone found a way of coercing Excel 2000 to export .csv files with
> delimiter text?   e.g: as "Mickey Mouse","Minnie Mouse","Donald Duck"
> not  Mickey Mouse,Minnie Mouse,Donald Duck
>
> Thanks
>
> Caroline
>
> --
> CarolineP
> CarolineP's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=20007
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=345941

--

Dave Peterson
0

Saving Question
Why does Excel sometimes ask me if I want to save my spreadhseet even though I haven't made any changes? For example, I just brought it up, made no changes, did nothing, and when I close it out I'm asked if I want to save. Never understood that. Some functions are "volatile" and force a recalculation upon opening the workbook. These commands include TODAY(), NOW(), AREAS() and some others I can't think of right now. Once the workbook is recalced, Excel assumes that it has changed, even if you didn't really change anything. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft...

Summing instances of text across worksheets
Hello, I have a workbook with separate sheets for each month. The sheets contain a list client names (entered exactly the same on each sheet). I need to summarize how many times a client name appears in total. For example, John Brown may appear Jan & Feb (=2) where Mary Brown may appear Jul, Sep, Dec (=3). I've been trying pivot tables without luck. Hoping someone can help. Thanks in advance! Never mind, I consolidated all the worksheet data into one and the pivot table works fine. Thanks anwyay! "George" wrote: > Hello, I have a workbook with separate sheets fo...

Find feature does not work with HTML messages (Content-type: text/html)
I have Outlook 2000 SP-3 running under Windows ME. When using the Find feature to locate all e-mails with a given word in the message, no items are found if the e-mails are of "text/html" content-type. The Find feature appears to work for any messages that have URLs embedded and are "multipart/alternative" or "text/plain" content-type. I noticed a similar post several months ago (see http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=%23qSBYIssDHA.2224%40TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl). Is there a work-around for this problem, or should this be reported t...

Saving size of CSplitterWnd
Hello! This is a rather long winded question but I hope that someone will read it! I have a MFC application with a Splitter Window. I use CreateStatic and it only containes two rows In CMainFrame::OnCreateClient !m_mainSplitter.CreateStatic( this, 2, 1 ) I then Create 2 views using !m_mainSplitter.CreateView( 0, 0, RUNTIME_CLASS(CCAMLaserView2), CSize(cr.Width(), cr.Height()/2), pContext ) !m_mainSplitter.CreateView( 1, 0, RUNTIME_CLASS(CCAMLaserView2), CSize(cr.Width(), cr.Height()/2), pContext ) I save the view sizes when ending the application so if this is the second ...

Excel should default to autoformat for chart text boxes
Excel in (Office 2003 and as far as I can tell all previous versions of Excel) should default to autoformat for chart text boxes - it currently selects "none" for outline and background options ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.micr...

How to keep display format when exporting XML?
First thank you for taking the time to read about my problem. My problem is this. When exporting my xml data, the time/date values loose their display format. A time of 01:30 am, for example, becomes something like 0.001353 when exported.. What do I need to do to keep the same format as is displayed in Excel? It would sure be great if you could help. Kind regards ...

Syntax to save ActiveCell to MyActiveCell then select later
Using 2003 Have been attempting to capture the range (or whatever I need) of an active cell to reselect later. I would like to perform the essence of the code below (but the syntax is not correct) Sub ReturnToOriginalActiveCell() Dim MyActiveCell As Range MyActiveCell = ActiveCell.?????????? [Other VBA Code] MyActiveCell.Select End Sub TIA Dennis Hi try sub foo() dim old_cell as range set old_cell = activecell 'your code old_cell.select end sub -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Dennis wrote: > Using 2003 > > Have been attempting to capture the range (or wh...

Need help extracting text from EDLs
I really am trying to learn this stuff, but I haven't programmed anything since my TRS-80 Basic days and I'm a bit overwhelmed. I want to extract text from Edit Decision Lists so that I have a list of shots used in a film. Here is an example of one event of an EDL: 002 TAPE004 V C 04:45:22:06 04:45:24:14 02:00:08:00 02:00:10:08 FROM CLIP NAME: 7C-4_B_ DLEDL: PATH: /raids/luc_1/bun/reel_02/oscans/1222/bun_7c_4_b_02/2048x1556/ The text that follows "FROM CLIP NAME:" is the name of the clip that I want to extract so that I have a document on onl...

problem with csv
When I export from a database I get the top line all in csv which appears to be in row A (which is the names of all the columns and the rest of the sheet is correct with all the data in relevant columns. How do I split that top row (which is Comma Separated) into coulumns automatically. I'm sure it is a simply process. thanks plato There is an easy way in Excel to split apart a cell without having to re-type its contents. Click on the cell. Pull-down Data > Text to Columns... > then check delimited and next check comma. The single cell should then split. Good Luck -- G...

FRx
We have an FRx report containing 12 columns - one for each month. We are using the P<=B Print Control in the column layout to only print those months that are less than or equal to the Base Period. When we generate a report that contains six months or more and export it to an .XLS spreadhsheet it looks fine. However, if the report contains less than six months (fewer columns), we don't get our report heading. Is this due to a setup option somewhere in the catalog id? Have you checked the "Header Options" under your column layout? Look at the "spread from and ...

Saving customized toolbars?
Is there a file we can back up (like Word's normal.dot and Excel's Excel.xlb) that holds Publisher's toolbars? I have Publisher 2000. Tx. There isn't a customized toolbar menu for Publisher 2000. There are a few options, but nothing important enough to backup. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "StargateFan" <IDon'tAcceptSpam@IDon'tAcceptSpam.com> wrote in message news:45akl1lh36qjejkk01st55sb709qtn5inn@4ax.com... > Is there a file we can back up (like Word's normal.dot an...

Text-To-Columns Fixed Width
When using Text-To-Columns, Excel "recognizes" that the data fits the Fixed Width criteria and PRE-assigns the width. In most of the cases I work with Excel is wrong 99% of the time. Is there a way to force Excel to NOT pre-assign the width (leave everything blank)? On the first panel of the wizard click Delimited, then on the second panel click space as the delimiter. Hope this helps. Pete On Feb 4, 12:50=A0am, TP <T...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > When using Text-To-Columns, Excel "recognizes" that the data fits the Fix= ed > Width ...

Automatically display set text based on users composition
Hi, im trying to do something really simple, trouble is i dont know what the feature's called to be able to search for tips on how to do it. Basically in outlook messages, when a user begins writing a sentence e.g. "in the terms of" i need a tag to pop up that allows the user to press enter and then the remainder of what they will want to type in will be inserted in, its a yellow tag that comes up above the words. i dont know where it needs to be created and enabled. Cheers, Rhys. ...

Code to send SMS text message?
Hi, I would like to send an SMS text message to a cel phone via code within Excel 2007. Has anyone done this? What code / services / products do I need to accomplish this? Does anyone have an example? Thanks in advance. --Dan What gateway are you using? What you would need to do is to snd a internet message to a gateway provider which would then send the messae out on the wireless land. Most likely you are using a webpage interface from your PC to interface with the gateway. So opening up an internet explorer and goiong to an URL is probably the method to use. ...

Access 2007 Rich Text Question 04-28-07
Hi All In the plan text version of a Memo field you can easily add a date by pressing Ctrl+Colon which makes life easy for the end user. However, if the Memo field is set to the Rich Text Property this no longer works. Or am I missing something? Tom gave me a part answer last week but I cannot see a way of inserting a date on a Rich Text Memo field by using keystrokes Thanks ...

Text box and formatting?
I am working on class schedule and have one text box which spans a few pages. Pages are double columns. I have a header for each class and paragraph given for class description. On the last page, last column, one description appears at the top with empty space for the rest of the column. I would like to change the formatting of the text in the whole text-box so that most of the last column is used. I can select the text in the text box which expands over the few pages and play with the font size, but that would mean that all the text would be the same size. Is there a way that text...

Suddenly not able to save new or open previous files with name lengths over 45 characters
I'm using Excel 2003 if it matters ... I'm wondering if there is a known bug/issue on this. For what ever reason, when I try to save a new file (or for that matter open something done previously) with a name that has more than 45 characters or so (might be off by a couple), I get message that it can't save and then gives me a bunch of reasons (file path might not exist, might have too many characters, folder might be read only, etc). I know file exists in the folder I'm checking - I can email myself the file and open from the email so its definitely there! Any sane insight? ...

How can I save an email in Outlook to offline storage?
I am new to Outlook. Previously, I saved my emails, after reading, to a zip disk, in a WORD document, and organized them according to subject. I cannot find a way in Outlook 2003 to do this. There is no "save" or "save as" in the Files list; it is greyed out. How can I continue to save my emails as I desire? If you open a mail item you can use the File menu > Save option there to save an item individually or you can copy/export them to another PST file for storage together with other mail items/folders "Sandyc" <Sandyc@discussions.microsoft.com...

How do I use text in a cell as a range name in a formula
If cell A1 had the text TEST in it and TEST is the name I have given to a group of cells using the name box what formula can I use to give me the sum of TEST, thats is the sum of the cells in the group called TEST. I understand that I can simply have =SUM(TEST), but I want the formula to refer to Cell A1 to get the name ie =SUM(A1) doesn't work obviously Any help appreciated Thank you In this case, you want to use the INDIRECT function. E.g., =SUM(INDIRECT(A1)) -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "Kiwi" &...

Export data to txt format file
Can I write a VB procedure that will export a table of data with specific widths? I done it manually, but no success with VB procedure -- pad On Thu, 3 Dec 2009 19:36:01 -0800, paduanow <wpaduano@go.com> wrote: >Can I write a VB procedure that will export a table of data with specific >widths? I done it manually, but no success with VB procedure Take a look at the Help for "TransferText". Yes, you can create an output specification with fixed width files, in code just as you can using File... Export. -- John W. Vinson [MVP] ...

wrapping text in a query field
I set up the field in table to memo and tried entering a lot of information but when I open the report that field does not expand to show all of the entries. Can this be done in query and reports both. Thanking you in advance. Mary Lou On Dec 12, 12:06 pm, MaryLou <Mary...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I set up the field in table to memo and tried entering a lot of information > but when I open the report that field does not expand to show all of the > entries. Can this be done in query and reports both. > > Thanking you in advance. > Mary Lou Go to the p...

XML Load and Save Exclusively
Hi, The following code just appends another copy of Xml to existing one. using (FileStream fs = new FileStream(path, FileMode.Open, FileAccess.ReadWrite, FileShare.None)) { xmldoc = new XmlDocument(); xmldoc.Load(fs); // would like to do something, like add a node. // for example below, do nothing here. xmldoc.Save(fs); } I would like to read an Xml file exclusively, append a node and save. The above code, which does nothing other than just open and save immediately, will attach two copie...

Publisher does not recognize tab-delimited text files in a mail m.
I am a student who is learning MS Publisher 2003. In mail merges, publisher does not recognize tab-delimited text files. If you try to mail merge with a tdt file, the data appears as one column entry, making it impossible to sort by separate fields or insert separte fields as a formally formatted address block. Converting the file to a comma-delimited text file (comma separated values) solves the problem. The fields appear separately as they should in the Mail Merge Recipients dialog box, so that you can sort by separate fields and then set up a properly formatted address block. Pl...

CSV file with 13space characters in blank cells
In my office we've just received a recurring report which has been modified (by someone. Previously (a CSV file) the Data area (say A1:M30 ) had numbers or blank cells representing 0 (zero) values. Now, however the blank cells ARE NOT BLANK (although they appear blank) all cells without numbers have 13 hard-space values in them, which is causing #VALUE! problems; I temporarily added an intermediate sheet with formula: =IF(ISNUMBER(VALUE(MySheet!B2)),MySheet!B2,0) to eliminate the #Value! problem; Is there a better way? I'm sure there is, just not certain at this point in time. Any ...

Pasting "Character Spacing" adjusted text
Our church office secretary has the Bible on a CD in a Word document. They have used Format>Font>Character Spacing>Position >Raised>by 2.5 rather than "Suberscript" for all the verse numbers. Is there a way to Copy the text and paste it into Publisher to maintain the appearance of the raised verse numbers? I do not see the Character Spacing formatting features in Publisher. We are using Office 2002. Jim wrote: > Our church office secretary has the Bible on a CD in a Word document. > They have used Format>Font>Character Spacing>Position >Raised>...