Excel XP hangs while inserting package

When I select Insert, Package, Excel hangs. This started
after I upgraded from Office 2000 to Office XP.
0
anonymous (74722)

My Excel 2000  doesn't have Insert | Package.  Perhaps it is put there by an
add-in that is not fully compatible with Excel XP?

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

> When I select Insert, Package, Excel hangs. This started
> after I upgraded from Office 2000 to Office XP.

0
Bernie
6/4/2004 6:13:24 PM
Sure you are not looking at Insert Page Break????

"Bernie Deitrick" <deitbe @ consumer dot org> wrote in message
: My Excel 2000  doesn't have Insert | Package.  Perhaps it is put there by an
: add-in that is not fully compatible with Excel XP?
:
: HTH,
: Bernie
: MS Excel MVP
:
: <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
: news:186bb01c44a52$c1e21750$a001280a@phx.gbl...
: > When I select Insert, Package, Excel hangs. This started
: > after I upgraded from Office 2000 to Office XP.
:
:

0
nospam202 (664)
6/4/2004 6:22:25 PM
Probably looking at Insert>Object>Create New>Package.

Don't know why Excel would hang in this case.  Did it work OK in Excel 2000?
I have never used Excel 2000 so don't even know if the Packager was included.

My Excel 2002 has about 30 seconds of hour-glass before the Packager opens.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 14:22:25 -0400, "Lady Layla" <nospam@nowhere.now> wrote:

>Sure you are not looking at Insert Page Break????
>

>"Bernie Deitrick" <deitbe @ consumer dot org> wrote in message
>: My Excel 2000  doesn't have Insert | Package.  Perhaps it is put there by an
>: add-in that is not fully compatible with Excel XP?
>:
>: HTH,
>: Bernie
>: MS Excel MVP
>:
>: <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>: news:186bb01c44a52$c1e21750$a001280a@phx.gbl...
>: > When I select Insert, Package, Excel hangs. This started
>: > after I upgraded from Office 2000 to Office XP.
>:
>:

0
Gord
6/4/2004 10:23:48 PM
Gord,

I just tried it for the first time, on xl2002 (developer edition).
Wow, got the fastest shut down and reboot I've ever seen.
What is it supposed to do?

Jim Cone
San Francisco, CA

"Gord Dibben" <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote in message news:r1t1c0t6dsdan7u1pfjc06g6514sgadho5@4ax.com...
> Probably looking at Insert>Object>Create New>Package.
>
> Don't know why Excel would hang in this case.  Did it work OK in Excel 2000?
> I have never used Excel 2000 so don't even know if the Packager was included.
> My Excel 2002 has about 30 seconds of hour-glass before the Packager opens.
> Gord Dibben Excel MVP
> On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 14:22:25 -0400, "Lady Layla" <nospam@nowhere.now> wrote:

0
jim.coneXXX (771)
6/4/2004 10:52:12 PM
Jim

From Help when Packager is open(if you can get it open).

package

An icon that represents embedded or linked information. That information may
consist of a complete file, such as a Paint bitmap, or part of a file, such as
a spreadsheet cell. When you choose the package, the application used to
create the object either plays the object (for example, a sound file) or opens
and displays the object. If you change the original information, linked
information is automatically updated. However, you must manually update
embedded information.
See also: embedded object, linked object, OLE

Do not know what the range of uses would be.  Have never had occasion to avail
myself of this feature.

Gord

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 15:52:12 -0700, "Jim Cone" <jim.coneXXX@rcn.comXXX> wrote:

>Gord,
>
>I just tried it for the first time, on xl2002 (developer edition).
>Wow, got the fastest shut down and reboot I've ever seen.
>What is it supposed to do?
>
>Jim Cone
>San Francisco, CA
>
>"Gord Dibben" <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote in message news:r1t1c0t6dsdan7u1pfjc06g6514sgadho5@4ax.com...
>> Probably looking at Insert>Object>Create New>Package.
>>
>> Don't know why Excel would hang in this case.  Did it work OK in Excel 2000?
>> I have never used Excel 2000 so don't even know if the Packager was included.
>> My Excel 2002 has about 30 seconds of hour-glass before the Packager opens.
>> Gord Dibben Excel MVP
>> On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 14:22:25 -0400, "Lady Layla" <nospam@nowhere.now> wrote:

0
Gord
6/4/2004 11:16:33 PM
Gord,

Thanks for the info.  I am not going anywhere near it again.
However, that does ring a small bell. From what I can remember, Windows 3.1 or maybe Windows 95 had a straight forward object
packager that worked. I believe I tested it a couple of times.

Regards,
Jim Cone
San Francisco, CA

"Gord Dibben" <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote in message news:ve02c0lfaripcmt24oab1cnhqekca000ap@4ax.com...
> Jim
>
> From Help when Packager is open(if you can get it open).
>
> package
>
> An icon that represents embedded or linked information.
> That information may
> consist of a complete file, such as a Paint bitmap, or part of a file, such as
> a spreadsheet cell. When you choose the package, the application used to
> create the object either plays the object (for example, a sound file) or opens
> and displays the object. If you change the original information, linked
> information is automatically updated. However, you must manually update
> embedded information.
> See also: embedded object, linked object, OLE
>
> Do not know what the range of uses would be.  Have never had occasion to avail
> myself of this feature.
>
> Gord
-snip-

0
jim.coneXXX (771)

Can I insert a ruler onto a word document?
I have made a graph in word for my boss and he would like a ruler along the side and bottom if possible. Does anyone have a suggestion, or is there a better program to use? Wrong newsgroup. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "Bonnie, VSI Construction" <Bonnie, VSI Construction@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6EF5A38A-3002-487D-9FC7-894ADAC9B90B@microsoft.com... >I have made a graph in word for my boss and he would like a ruler along the > side and bottom if possible. Does an...

Excel click through
At work I can double click on a cell that is linked to another spreadsheet and it opens that spreadsheet. How do u turn this on? Does it work in office 2000 or do u need Office pro? Keith -- keithgg ------------------------------------------------------------------------ keithgg's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=29961 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=496590 Try: Tools|Options|Edit Tab uncheck Edit directly in cell keithgg wrote: > > At work I can double click on a cell that is linked to another >...

Excel does not return to previous cell
Hi all, I am running into an problem with my users. We have a Excel 2000 spreadsheet. I know that typically, the sheet/cell that is selected when a user closes the spreadsheet will be the same when a user opens the spreadsheet the next time. However, the problem I am seeing is that the proves true with some users, but not with all users. Some users open the spreadsheet and instead of going back to, say cell A972, it opens to, say cell B4. I would welcome any input on this issue. Thanks, Jeff Averhoff <<<"I know that typically, the sheet/cell that is selected when a user...

How to insert Header will full text across page
what is the best way to do this? How would you insert a table row in the header so that it flows all the way across the page? I think this can be done; I've forgotten how. I want to repeat the header row and put a Table continuation notation above that. -- Janet A. ...

Removal of broken Hyperlinks from data copiedfrom a web page in to an Excel Spreadsheet
I have copied over 600 + lines into excel from a web page data base. I have cells which appear as hyperlinks (blue underlined text). When I put the insertion point over the cell, I get the little "hand" and a hyperlink box opens but is blank. I do not want the text in the cells to be hyperlinks nor do I want to open any hyperlinks. I went to the edit menu to select links to remove all but links is grayed out. I can remove each one, one by one, by using the arrow key to move into the cell, doing a right click and select, remove hyperlink. This works, but will not accept multiple...

Limits of Excel 2003
The worksheet have 256 columns. There are some way to increase this columns to 800 Hi no, not possible -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "ReneCabrera" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:0afb01c4a258$85bdd990$a501280a@phx.gbl... > The worksheet have 256 columns. There are some way to > increase this columns to 800 ...

Hi All, I would like to load an Excel spreadsheet directly into a single table in Oracle. Both the spreadsheet and the table have the same ordering of columns and have compatable data. I am aware that a way to achieve this would be to convert the .xls file into a .csv file and then use sql loader. However, I am interested in doing this in a quicker/easier way directly from Excel, eg. by adding in some functionality and clicking on a new button for loading into the database. We are all able to read from a database in Excel by importing external data. Surely there is a way to change that...

Excel automation to access a workbook
I want to utililze Excel Automation to obtain properties from an Excel workbook. Given path of the Excel workbook, how can I get the properties of a workbook without making the Excel application or the workbook visible. Then obviously close the Excel workbook and the Excel Object after I get the properties Any help with this would be appreciated Here is some code I am using. I need help getting it to work. When I run it, I get an error message "Run-time error '-2147417851 (80010105)' Method 'Open' of object 'Workbooks' failed" I am in a form in Acc...

Custom Error Bars in Excel 2007
When choosing the option to add a custom error bar in Exel 2007 and trying to set the range to a worksheet that does not contain the chart I receive an error in Excel that closes down Excel. The steps I perform are: 1. Click on a bar in my chart 2. Click Layout 3. Click the drop down for error bars 4. Click more error bar options... 5. Choose custom and click specify value. 6. Click to set the range where this is then displayed ={1}. As soon as I change to the worksheet to set the range Excel errors out and shuts down. I have recreated this on more than one machine and the result is t...

How can I change default for inserting a picture
I edit a newsletter and I insert lots of pictures. I insert the pictures but I ALWAYS want them to be TIGHT for text wrapping and I want them to have a red border with a weight of 1 1/2. I always do each picture one at a time to change the format. Sometimes I have 90 pictures. Is there a way to tell word to always insert the picture the way I want? -- Thanks Very Much! Art Nittskoff Recent versions of Word let you choose the default wrapping format for pictures. For example, in Word 2007, you'll find the option here: Office button | Word Options, Advanced category: &...

XP/Pub97 print problem
Looking for help last night I saw a question concerning using Publisher 97 on XP. Since the answer was yes, I have a different question. I used to print statements with publisher, and had a clip-art at the top. Now, since I upgraded to XP, the clip-art does not print. Late last night I found that if I save the file then reload it, I can print one copy. The second print operation drops the clip-art. As long as I reload the file first, I can print another copy. I feel this is a 'settings' problem, but can't find anything that seems to fit. I really don't know where to loo...

Excel Invoice
I have an excel invoice that had macros from excel 4.0 when I open the invoice it ask me to enable or disable the macros I hit enable....I need to edit the cells and change some of the formulas around to get diffent figures...but i get an error that says the shaded cells are automatically calculated by excel therefore I cannot edit them I have unlocked the cells and ranges as well as have permission to the invoice but nothing seems to work....Do I need to have access to the workbook if so wouldnt that workbook be on my system so I could do this...??? I got a copy of this template from ...

insert nd delete row in protect sheet
hi, I wants 2 combo box button like insert nd delet row in protect sheet 2003. when user select any row nd press insert button row will automatically insert with formula and same as delete button. pls tell me what micro or code i m using. pls help me urgent. rks ...

Outlook XP exporting into Entourage v.X
Is there anyway to import directly from Outlook XP into the new Entourage v.X? The only outlook that says is capable of direct import is Outlook Express 5. This makes no sense. Any assistance would be appreciated. Thank you. ...

Problem with Importing .csv into Excel
Hi, I have a csv file with a number of words (probably 1000-2000) separated by the "|" character. I wanted to import this file into Excel (Office 2003 Excel), so that I could get each word on a separate line so I could paste them into a blank text document. The problem is, when I go to import the .csv file, Excel imports each word into a column heading, & seeing as how it is limited to 256 columns, my file is not fully imported. I see that Excel has a 65000 row limit, which is more then enough, but I cannot see a way to get Excel to import each word as a separate row, rather tha...

Convert *.BMP to Excel shape
Hi there, I have *.BMP file with freeform outline. Does anybody know any method to convert this *.BMP to Excel AutoShape? Of course I can Insert Picture from this file and then make new Freeform shape using my *.BMP as a template but I need to make about 50 shapes: Thank you. ...

Excel Solver Issue
I am trying to use the excel solver and am running into some issues. The solver is giving me results that I know are wrong and I cannot get it to give me the correct results. I am using it to calculate a linearity which is based off of the STDEV and AVERAGE of a group of numbers. The formula I am using is: =TRUNC(SQRT(SUM(($B$2-AVERAGE($B$2:$B$6))^2,($B$3-AVERAGE($B$2:$B$6))^2,($B$4-AVERAGE($B$2:$B$6))^2,($B$5-AVERAGE($B$2:$B$6))^2,($B$6-AVERAGE($B$2:$B$6))^2)/4),0)/AVERAGE($B$2:$B$6) This is basically the longhand version of STDEV/AVERAGE which I have found gives the actual number I am lo...

Problems with formating and formulas in Excel 2002
I am having problems with the sum formula in Excel 2002. I take a straight copy of data in an acess database (not an export) and paste it into an excel spreadsheet. I can not seem to format the cells nor can I use the Sum formula to calculate. If I manually re-type all the numeric value these problems seem to disappear. The problems seem to have started when Access XP was installed onto the PC but niether removing Access no re- installing the PC has worked to correct this problem. Has anyone else seen something similar? Hi It sounds to me like the cells are coming in as text, rathe...

KbFilter_ServiceCallback -- inserting and deleting packets
Hello, Presently I'm adapting a simple 'kbfiltr.sys' driver. Have it working and performing some modifications in the scan-code/key-press stream. Now would like to insert and delete packets from the stream. No luck finding an example of how exactly it's done. Seems the incoming packet array is typically a section of a ring queue, but have no way to know when to wrap the pointers or where the beginning of the buffer lies. Don't see a way to replace the buffer either. Is it possible to insert an event? Or are the comments misleading in this regard? Do...

Excel XP crashes when printing, etc.
When I use Excel, there are some functions that cause the application to crash. These include printing, changing font attributes and other common operations. The application error info is: AppName: excel.exe AppVer: 10.0.6501.0 ModName: ntdll.dll ModVer: 5.1.2600.1217 Offset: 00033905 I have tried repairing my installation as well as deleting the entire Office XP install and doing it again from scratch. I am running all current WinXP and Office XP patches from the Windows Update and Office Update sites. Any Ideas? Sounds like your print driver is bad. You might check at the man...

excel formula to convert server time in seconds
I extracted data from my server. It keeps a log of time like this 1069255091 (this morning) I converted the data into excel but now I need this cell value to b the actual date and time. Any one have the easy answer ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com One way =DATE(1970,1,1)+F1/86400 format result as mm/dd/yy hh:mm:ss -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "frogman1001" <frogman1001.x5hub@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:frogman1001.x5hub...

Excel charts #12
I am trying to format the individual labels on the category axis on an Excel chart. I want every other label in a different color and bold. But the entire category axis is formatted. Does anyone have a suggestion? The category axis is years - 1990 through 2005. I want the odd years to be bold and a different color than the even years. When Excel doesn't let me do what I want with a chart axis, I draw my own: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ArbitraryAxis.html Use this technique to make two different axes, one for even and one for odd, and hide the default axis Excel draw...

can I import excel cells into word as labels
I am using Office 2000, and I'm trying to import excel data into word as labels. I have one column of numbers(approx. 350 cells) I would like to import into Word as individual labels. can this be done? -- Trial and Error takes too long! Use Mail merge. :) http://www.officearticles.com/word/mail_merge_labels_in_microsoft_word.htm ************ Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "wichita6" <wichita6@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E79D3E90-8093-4B9F-B195-DF6C4C54ED0D@microsoft.com... >I am using Office 2000, and I'm trying to import excel data into ...

Outlook XP issues with AOL accounts
'Morning all, I have an XP Laptop running Office XP and I'm having a particular issue with sending to and receiving from AOL accounts in Outlook. Quick setup note: The laptop is on our network, the Server is a Server2000 box using RRAS and all the other workstations have no problem getting and sending to AOL accounts. Only the particular laptop is having this difficulty and I initially thought it might be some blowback from the whole RPC and SoBig fiasco several months ago, but both the laptop AND our network are free from all viruses (etc.) and our firewall(s) are set u...

starting Excel from Command
Hi, Created a XLT workbook which "should" load data from an XML File. In order to do that, I added in my registry a new extension and linked it to Excel... Anyway, I can't figure out the correct command line to set the xml path as a parameter to my xlt file... I already have to function which retrieve the parameters list. In my Shell/Open/Command registry key, I tried this : "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE" "/%1" "MyTemplatePath" Where %1 is my xml file path. Unsuccesfull... Please help :( You could saving this in the XL...