Excel won't highlight selected cells

Hi.  Just started having a problem today with selecting cells.  I have
worksheets that need to have the formatting changed on certain cells.  Some
need to be merged, some need to have different fonts, etc.

Before today, I was able to hold the CTRL key down and select whatever cells
needed to be changed (as a group).  I can still do that, but only the Title
row and columns (A,B,C...1,2,3,4...) are highlighted but not the individual
cells that I have clicked on.

The problem is more of a large annoyance and I can still get my work done
but it takes much longer because I can't easily see what cells I have
selected.  I have a looming deadline and need every second in order to
complete the project.

Does this make any sense to anyone or do I need to explain it better?
Anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks,

David K.

David,

AFAIK there is no inbuilt way to change/remove the highlight colour of a
selected cell(s) and because the row/col headers are still highlighting then
I don't believe this is happening in your case.

Have you tried changing the contrast on the monitor. Users often complain;
particularly about E2007, that the highlighting is too feint.
--
Mike

question.

"David K." wrote:

> Hi.  Just started having a problem today with selecting cells.  I have
> worksheets that need to have the formatting changed on certain cells.  Some
> need to be merged, some need to have different fonts, etc.
>
> Before today, I was able to hold the CTRL key down and select whatever cells
> needed to be changed (as a group).  I can still do that, but only the Title
> row and columns (A,B,C...1,2,3,4...) are highlighted but not the individual
> cells that I have clicked on.
>
> The problem is more of a large annoyance and I can still get my work done
> but it takes much longer because I can't easily see what cells I have
> selected.  I have a looming deadline and need every second in order to
> complete the project.
>
> Does this make any sense to anyone or do I need to explain it better?
> Anyone know how to fix this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> David K.
David

If you want a permanent fix for the selected cells coloring in Excel 2007
here is a Registry hack.

Start>Run  regededit.exe

Drill down to

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Excel\Options

Right-click on Options6 and  Modify>Decimal........change the 32 to 16

When you select multiple cells all but the active cell will be black.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 2 Mar 2010 12:56:01 -0800, David K.
<DavidK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi.  Just started having a problem today with selecting cells.  I have
>worksheets that need to have the formatting changed on certain cells.  Some
>need to be merged, some need to have different fonts, etc.
>
>Before today, I was able to hold the CTRL key down and select whatever cells
>needed to be changed (as a group).  I can still do that, but only the Title
>row and columns (A,B,C...1,2,3,4...) are highlighted but not the individual
>cells that I have clicked on.
>
>The problem is more of a large annoyance and I can still get my work done
>but it takes much longer because I can't easily see what cells I have
>selected.  I have a looming deadline and need every second in order to
>complete the project.
>
>Does this make any sense to anyone or do I need to explain it better?
>Anyone know how to fix this?
>
>Thanks,
>
>David K.

0
Gord

Recalling more than one cell by inputting a single command
Hello everybody, I have a master list of books and course. each course has a course number.for each course there are different number of books.the books are linked to the course by the course number. So in a new sheet when i enter the course number, for example 09001: English, 10 books required,price all comes up without a problem. the problem comes when i try to recall the book list. it cycles through and only prints the last book in that section. i've been using the vlookup function. Is there a way i can get excel to print out all the books by inputting the course n...

numbering cells
Hi- I have over 200,000 lines and I'd like to numbering each cell 123...etc. The problem is some cells are blank and I can't seem to do as much auto refill and it just time consuming to drag cell all the way to 200K line. So i'm wondering if there is a quickest way to numbering cell from 1 through 200000 Thanks Soth Running this tiny macro will number rows 1 thro 1000 in column A: Sub NumberThem() Set r = Range("A1:A1000") r.Formula = "=row()" End Sub Make the obvious adjustments to change the column or the last row. Macros are ...

autorun macro at Excel open
Searched, found nothing. How do I run a macro on Excel open? I have a macro that calls my form, but I can't find how to autorun the macro. Thanks much Duane, Two ways. Call the macro Auto_Open and put it in a general module. Use the Workbook_Open event macro in ThisWorkbook, and put your code in there. -- HTH Bob Phillips ... looking out across Poole Harbour to the Purbecks (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Duane" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:02b001c39b20$490c0890$a101280a@phx.gbl... > Searched, foun...

Open correct version of Excel in Word
I have Word 2003, Excel 2003 and as of today Excel 2007. In a Word macro, I am using: Set myExcel = GetObject(, "Excel.application") and if that errors because Excel isn't open, an error handler with: Set myExcel = CreateObject("Excel.application") Now when I run my Word macro even if I have Excel 2003 open, the GetObject does not find that Excel is open and will go to the CreateObject and create an instance of Excel using Excel 2007. Is there a way to force it to open the spreadsheet in Excel 2003? GrannyM wrote: > I have Word 2003, Excel 2003 ...

Auto changing of Excel file name
Ever since we changed our server's O/S from Windows Server NT 4.0 to Windows Server 2003, all excel files' name will get changed by itself when they are accessed from any terminal within the LAN, which is running Windows 98 or Windows XP. What could be the cause(s) of this strange problem? Any solution? ...

Excel Sum with Filter & Copy specific Data
Hello, I have two questions regarding Microsoft excel. If you could help me I'd really appreciate it! QUESTION #1 I have 2 worksheets. One has a list of ID numbers (unique - one of each) and a column for totals (which is blank as of now) WORKSHEET1 A B ID #: Total: 1 2 3 4 5 The other has a list of ID numbers (many listed multiple times), has a number entry which I need to be summed and a date (which I filter by to get a range) WORKSHEET2 A B C 1 345 Jan 1 2 327 Feb...

Excel sheet: scroll down, but leave first lines visible
Hi all Have to solve a problem fast: Excel sheet has in the first 4 lines text that i want to have visible at all times ( fix on top ) even when i scroll down on the sheet...... How can i do it. Thanks for your help either here in the NG or to: wette-2(at)ballonfahrer(dot)ch Hans Select the Row under the last one that you want to remain visible and the select Window > Freeze Panes If you want the first 4 line to also print on every page then select File > Page Setup > Sheet > Rows to Repeat at top enter 1:4 -- HTH Sandy In Perth, the ancient capital of Scotland and ...

Office 2004: Accessing a network share causes Word, Excel and Powerpoint to crash
Just wondering if any other early adopters have come across this bug in Office 2004 for the Mac. So far I have experienced this with Word, Excel and Powerpoint. If you have a network drive mounted that is the same name as the home directory on your local Mac (i.e. your username in both locations e.g. juser on the local Mac and JUSER as the server share name) then Office applications will crash if they try and access the network drive under some circumstances. The circumstances appear to include: * If the default file location is set in Excel to any directory inside the network share Excel w...

Moving selective data from one sheet to anouther
Hi, I would like to move a range of data within a row from one sheet to anouther sheet automatically when the data in a cell within the range that would be moved, is greater than zero. Is there a formula that will do this? One non-array formulas play which "yields" the desired output .. Assume source table is in Sheet1, cols A to D, data from row2 down, where the key col is col D (the " greater than zero " criteria) Use an empty col to the right, say col E Put in E2: =IF(D2="","",IF(D2>0,ROW(),"")) Copy E2 down to say, E100 to cover the ...

Shared Excel file
Hi, I have an excel file (.xls) which is shared among 2 computers and only one is allow to open at a time. Occasionally, when the 2nd PC user try to Save the file, it asks to save it as different file name. The user only want to 'Save' not 'Save As', as the file is continually added data. We are currently using Office97 with SP2. Any one have any ideas? Thanks in advance. John. ...

insert excel charts as objects
Hi, I insert excel charts into publisher using the insert object command. It allows me to double click on the chart and modify it in excel eve though it has been pasted in publisher. I have two problems with this The first is that I am drastically shrinking the charts and when I tr to modify them in excel they often become distorted. The secon problem I have is that I would like to shrink the chart befor inserting it into publisher. Is there a way to do this while als shrinking the background? Now I just end up with a small chart, bu tons of blank space around it that gets inserted as w...

Make Excel check for an external file
Hi, In A1 I have a path to an image on my Hard Drive.. let's say "c:\images\image1.jpg" Is there any formula that would say YES or NO as a result if the image (file) actually exist on the folder? If so, how could I address this need ? Thanks a lot! Alex Alexander, Public Function FileExists(FileName As String) As Boolean ' Simple function from Dana DeLouis to check if a file exists FileExists = Len(Dir(FileName)) End Function An example of how it's used in VBA: Private Sub ExternalFilesExist() dLetter = Left(ThisWorkbook.Path, 3) fPath = "yourpath"...

Excel Increment columns in rows
How do I increment columns into rows in a formula. A1 = b4 + 2, A2 = C4 + 2, A3 = D4 + 2 etc. Excel XP Try this in A1: =OFFSET($B$4,,ROW()-1)+2 HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message----- >How do I increment columns into rows in a formula. A1 = b4 + 2, A2 = C4 + 2, >A3 = D4 + 2 etc. >Excel XP >. > In A1 enter & copy down: =INDEX($B$4:$N$4,1,ROW()-ROW($A$1)+1)+2 Adjust the range B4:N4 to suit. FGM wrote: > How do I increment columns into rows in a formula. A1 = b4 + 2, A2 = C4 + 2, > A3 = D4 + 2 etc. > Excel XP One way: Put in A1: =OF...

How do a import data from a text file to an excel worksheet
I have more than 66,000 lines of data to import into excel (v.2003). Can I do this without loosing data? -- mad ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=45e3503c-395d-4b02-923d-b07371...

How to fill missing cells in the collumn of dates?
Hi, I have large set of data. I have two columns for every variable: first consists of dates (from 01.01.2000 to 01.01.2008) and the second column consists of values for every date. The problem is that some dates are missed (for example I have 01.01.2000 and next row is 05.01.2000). Is it possble to insert row for every missed date and fill the date in the first column? I can do it manually but I have 7 variables with different set of dates so it will take ages to do it manually. Thanks. In column A I have: A,B,blank,blank,C,blank, blank,blank,D In G1 type =A1 In G2 type =IF(ISBLANK(...

Cell Box - one of the 4 cell lines is open
What was the set of search "words" to find the answer... please? I have spent an hour. ( I don't want to tell you that I spent more time - mentioned). Oh yea! The lines are call borders and are part of cell formatting. Format > Cells... > Border > Outline > OK -- Gary''s Student - gsnu200826 "MUTTMIND" wrote: > What was the set of search "words" to find the answer... please? I have > spent an hour. ( I don't want to tell you that I spent more time - > mentioned). Oh yea! No worky. Excel 2007 - home tab - cells (ins...

Default Gridlines/Cell Border Colors
By default the gridlines on a worksheet and any borders that you put around cells are the same color - black. If you change the gridline colors using Tools - Options - View all the cell borders that you have created also change color. Is this a way to change the color of the gridlines in a worksheet and keep the default color for cell borders black? >>Is this a way to change the color of the gridlines in a worksheet and keep >>the default color for cell borders black? I don't believe so. The automatic color for borders is whatever the color for gridlines is, unless...

Possible to link Excel cells to text box in Word using Word's text formatting?
Hi everyone. Here is one of those "is this possible" type situations, which if possible, would make my Augusts less stressful each year. Each August I'm in charge of putting together our annual statistics and producing maps of the state to show activity in each county. Initially my maps were Word documents with individual text boxes for each #. I still have that version saved, but recently I've converted it to a pdf document to make changing the numbers a lot easier (although not being able to add lines of text is a hindrance sometimes). What I'd love to be able to do i...

cell to show 0 instead of #NA
Hi there excellers I am using this formula and I need it to show a 0 when there is nothing in colunm 2, "instead of the #NA" any help appreciated =VLOOKUP(B1,Sheet1!$A$1:$B$500,2) regards Ditchy ditchy =if(iserror(VLOOKUP(B1,Sheet1!$A$1:$B$500,2), 0, VLOOKUP(B1,Sheet1!$A$1:$B$500,2)) Just watch the word wrap. I am not sure if it will show properly. But just piece it together if required. Regards, Kevin "ditchy" <ditchy@ncable.net.au> wrote in message news:dda1ad29.0310301940.7d33ac60@posting.google.com... > Hi there excellers > I am using this formula ...

adding Excel 2003 file
running Windows XP Hone, Service Pack 2. Publisher and Excel 2003 I'm trying to insert on a blank page in a newsletter a simple one page list that I have in Excel. What's the easiest way to to that and have it look like the preview in Excel? (with the same layout, outlines, page size, etc) I need the file set up in landscape mode to almost fit an entire page. I E-mail the newsletter out as a PDF file, so the list needs to be a part of the Publisher document Appreciate the help CCarter Copy and Paste should work perfectly. You may have to turn off the grid lines in the Options. ...

FS: need help with Excel formulas
Hello I am desperately searching for help with how to do two things in Excel with using formulas. I'm sure to some of the Excel experts in this forum, they may be quite simple, but I'm killing myself searching on the net and in Excel Help for the answers and can't figure it out. So if you can't help me, I'll be forever greatful!! QUESTION ONE: How do I make a formula to copy text if the value of a cell matches another in another tab. Specifically, I am trying to associate hockey statistics from one tab to another. I have data to be dropped in tab "injuries". I th...

Text spacing uneven when copying charts from EXCEL 2007 to WORD 20
I'm trying not to whine, however, amongst the many problems and frustrations in making the transition from the current Office environment to Office 2007, we have experienced some uneven text spacing when copying charts from Excel 2007 to Word 2007. Our method is as follows: the charts are objects on the worksheet. We select the chart, copy as a picture in Excel and paste into Word as an enhanced metafile. Our default font is Arial. I have tried this using every combination of copying (as picture) in Excel and pasting into Word and the problem persists. I have used both our blac...

Can't find "Password to open" box in Excel 2000
I need to put a password on a workbook to stop unauthorized access but can't find "Password to open" box in to tools->options->general dialog box That's because it's not in Tools/Options/General in the Excel menu. You need to select File/Save As, then click Tools, General Options in the save as dialog. >-----Original Message----- >I need to put a password on a workbook to stop >unauthorized access but can't find "Password to open" box >in to tools->options->general dialog box >. > ...

How to insert a number sequence in irregular rows or columns of Excel
Hi, I cannot find in the Help files of my Excel '97 how to insert, in effect, a field which would increase by one every time I copy it into a different cell. I only know how to insert such a series over a contiguous set of rows or columns using the Edit>Series menu. Does anyone here please have an answer to this problem? Or is there one?? Thank you for taking the trouble to read this enquiry. avril To create sequential numbers in column A, enter the following formula in cell A2: =MAX($A$1:A1)+1 Copy this formula to another cell in column A, to create the next number. av ...

Determining the month name base on text in a cell
I've got a cell (A1) with the following contents. 9/1/2005 To 9/30/2005 This cell will always contain from the first to the last day of the month. However, the month will obviously vary. I'm trying to come up with a formula in which the result would return the month name that is being referred to by the cell contents. In this case it would be "September". Any ideas? Thanks, Paul one way of several =TEXT(VALUE(LEFT(C2,FIND("To",C2)-3)),"mmmm") -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "PCLIVE" <pclive@livenet.net> wro...