Excel / VBA - How to add or remove the description displayed on the "Macro" pop-up

Hi,

I am trying to find how to add or remove the description displayed on
the "Macro" pop-up menu (Alt-F8). Generally macros recorded have a
banale description giving the time/date & username, others that I write
directly in the VBE have none.

Can anyone point how to add/modify this description?

thanks,
Scott

---

Scott,

When the macro recorder fires up, the first dialog allows you to put
whatever description you want in, including none if so desired.

The value gets saved as comments, but changing the comments does not change
the pop-up description that I can see.

Is that not good enough?

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"hscowan >" <<hscowan.zi3tw@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to find how to add or remove the description displayed on
> the "Macro" pop-up menu (Alt-F8). Generally macros recorded have a
> banale description giving the time/date & username, others that I write
> directly in the VBE have none.
>
> Can anyone point how to add/modify this description?
>
> thanks,
> Scott
>

> ---

bob.phillips1 (6510)
1/4/2004 10:27:05 AM
(1) On the menubar in Excel : Tools > Macro > Macros
(2) Select the macro.
(3) Click the 'Options' button.
(4) In the 'Description' box, enter your description (or Ctrl V to
paste into this box).

HTH
Paul
Be advised to back up your WorkBook before attempting to make changes.

>Hi,
>
>I am trying to find how to add or remove the description displayed on
>the "Macro" pop-up menu (Alt-F8). Generally macros recorded have a
>banale description giving the time/date & username, others that I write
>directly in the VBE have none.
>
>Can anyone point how to add/modify this description?
>
>thanks,
>Scott

One way:

When you first choose Tools/Macro/Record New Macro, a dialog pops up
asking where to put it. In that dialog, there's a textbox for the
description.

To change it later, choose Tools/Macro/Macros.... Select the macro
and click Options. The dialog that opens has a textbox with the
description for you to edit.

In article <hscowan.zi3tw@excelforum-nospam.com>,
 hscowan <<hscowan.zi3tw@excelforum-nospam.com>> wrote:

> I am trying to find how to add or remove the description displayed on
> the "Macro" pop-up menu (Alt-F8). Generally macros recorded have a
> banale description giving the time/date & username, others that I write
> directly in the VBE have none.
>
> Can anyone point how to add/modify this description?
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
1/4/2004 3:17:41 PM
tools|macro|macros...
type in your function name (you won't be able to see it on the list)
(when you spell it correctly, the buttons on the right hand side will be
enabled)

Then click Options
type what you want

I like to give short descriptions of the function's parameters are.  (I'm not
sure anyone else has ever read them, but I sometimes do!)

"hscowan <" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to find how to add or remove the description displayed on
> the "Macro" pop-up menu (Alt-F8). Generally macros recorded have a
> banale description giving the time/date & username, others that I write
> directly in the VBE have none.
>
> Can anyone point how to add/modify this description?
>
> thanks,
> Scott
>
> ---

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com
0
ec35720 (10082)

I need a macro

Help w/ getting F2 into a macro
I have an Excel 2000 speadsheet with 9000 rows of data which someone imported from some other software. The one column should contain numeric data, but the import left it with some preceding spaces and a following asterisk. This needs to be converted to numerical format which can be referenced by formulae. I really don't want to plow through 9000 lines and am trying to set up a macro to do this. The following keystrokes have the right effect. F2 (function key to go to edit mode) Backspace (to delete the training asterisk character) Enter (which writes back to the cell a...

Macro to change worksheets in the same workbook
I am in sheet 1. I need a macro that will move me to sheet 2. Can someone provide the code? Thanx! - Ji -- James ----------------------------------------------------------------------- James C's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1211 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=47758 How will you trigger the code? Button? Keystroke? Other method? More info, please. The basic line of code is: Sheets("sheet2").Select where "sheet2" is the name of your sheet 2 -- swatsp0 -----------------------------...

Call Macro
Can I call a Macro to run from a scheduled Task. If yes, How. Thanks for your help. Jim Walsh Hi, You could do this. Create a task that opens a workbook at the required time and in that workbook utilise the Open event to call your macro Private Sub Workbook_Open() Call MyMacro End Sub Sub MyMacro() 'Do things End Sub -- Mike When competing hypotheses are otherwise equal, adopt the hypothesis that introduces the fewest assumptions while still sufficiently answering the question. "jswalsh33" wrote: > Can I call a Macro to run from a sch...

Macro Command Button
I'm trying to assign a command button on the worksheet to a macro. If I read the help instructions correctly it states to put a command button on the worksheet then 'right click the command button and select shortcut to macro'. I don't get a shortcut option when I right-click the command button????? I've to 2 macros created and working but I'm unable to setup the button. Help anyone....thanks There are two buttons that look alike, but behave differently. It sounds like you used the commandbutton from the Control toolbox toolbar. Delete those and grab a button f...

excel attemps to repair files with macros and then crashes
Office XP installed on a Dell. Computer using windows XP professional. Local network. When opening excel files with macros the program attempts to repair the files and in doing so they become corrupted. The opened files are useless. Excel crashes sometimes Other computers running same version of Excel are able to open the same files without problem. Excel has visual basic running. Opening of excel files without formulas works without a problem. Access also does not open.. all updates to excel have been downloaded. ...

Macros
How do I remove the pop-up messages when running a macro with several queries which are make table ones? Many Thanks Hi Before the macro runs the queries insert the 'setwarnings' action to no and remember to switch it back on again as necessary. James On 7 Jun, 15:53, Peta B <Peta B...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > How do I remove the pop-up messages when running a macro with several queries > which are make table ones? > > Many Thanks On Thu, 7 Jun 2007 07:53:10 -0700, Peta B <Peta B@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >How do I remove the pop-...

sheetchange event macro.. what am I doing wrong?
hi.. i'm just tryin to make it so that when the user inserts a 'g', 'r', or 'y' into a cell, the font for that cell changes color appropriately.. this looks fine to me but nothing happens... --------------------- Option Compare Text Private Sub Workbook_SheetChange(ByVal sheet As Object, ByVal cell As Range) If cell.Value Like "*g*" Then cell.Font.ColorIndex = 4 ElseIf cell.Value Like "*r*" Then cell.Font.ColorIndex = 3 ElseIf cell.Value Like "*y*" Then cell.Font.ColorIndex...

How to hide the macro code that no one can open & see the code?
Hi, In Microsoft Excel, I am using a Visual Basic for Applications macro t run an application. I wanted to hide this macro/ code from other users except me. Should we use password in order to open the code or is there somethin available in EXCEL via which can hide the code? How should we hide the macro so know one can open and see the code? Thanks Jumm -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi You can protect your VBAProject with password (right-click on VBAProject in Project window, open properties, and set password on Protection tab) - then without password the user don'...

Formatting (macros or templates)?
What is the best way to apply consistently apply formatting to excel spreadsheets? I have spreadsheets that dump from S-Plus. I need to format them in a Memo type format with the company logo at top and other header info. What's the best way to do this, a template in word or macros in excel? Thanks for any advice. ...

Macro Help Please excel 2003
I need a button so that when pressed it exports the data from the cell range sheet 1: A21:S81, it also exports the info from the same range A21:S81 on sheet 2 to an external excel workbook. I need it to export all the data onto sheet 1 of the external workbook, and each time the button is pressed it needs to find the first available row of the external workbook and copy over, this is so that all data is always saved on a massive long list. Thanks Neil. let us stick on to the original post. I have posted a response for your latest request. -- Jacob "Neil H...

Macro not working between versions
Hi, I have developed a macro in VBA for Apps for Excel 2002 that seems to fail in an Excel 97 system with: 'Microsoft Visual Basic Compile error : Can't find project or library' Is there any way that the correct libraries can be set up for the Excel 97 application? Regards, Nick. ...

Need Macro to Collect Multiple Worksheet Names
I need a macro to collect the names of every worksheet in a workbook such that the names are in adjacent cells in one worksheet. The number of worksheets can vary and ideally I don't want to collect the names of the last 2 sheets but I can always just delete them manually. B3 = sheet1 name B4 = sheet2 name B5 = sheet 3 name and so on Thx. Run this sub in a new sheet (it'll list all sheetnames), then just delete whatever is not required Sub ListSheetNames() Dim wkSht As Worksheet Range("B2").Select For Each wkSht In Worksheets Sel...

Formatting within this macro
I am new to VBA and can follow along fairly well, but don't know how to do certain things. I have the following macro that runs like a champ, but now I need to automatically format the SummarySheet. Specifically, I need to set Columns A,C,E and G to a width of 2 and to have a color of Light Gray (in Office 2010 it's White, Background 1, Darker 25%). I also need to set Rows 1 and 3 to a height of 6 and have a color of Light Gray. Then I need to change the output font to Tahoma, 12, Bold. Finally, I have to have a cell at the bottom of Column F that says "Totals&q...

is it possible to use macros when the sheet is protected
My sheet is protected but still I am able to paste information into cells. However I have written a macro that allows me to change the size of the row if the size of the text is bigger than the size of the cell. It seems however that I am unable to use this feature when the sheet is protected. Is there a way to solve this problem and use this macro when the sheet is protected. Thanks In xl2002+, you can allow formatting (including rowheight) when you protect the worksheet. You could also protect the sheet in code and tell xl you want to let macros change things on that protected wor...

Help Require (Macro Save button )?????
Dear All, I have a form named form1 With following description. Po #. W.O # ses#. Contract #. Total Amount and Retention Amount. I want to generate a table where i can store all the above fields. I want a macro (Save button) in form so that if i click the Save button all the corresponding fields saved to Table. Please assist ? Help is deeply welcome. Attachment is for your ref. Rgds, Aligahk06 If your form is based on (bound to) the table, then the data saves automatically. -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-...

Macro that will add multiple emails based on a range of cell values
I need a macro that will basically look at one column and if it says =93Yes=94 put the email address in the email column in the .bcc. All the email addresses need to be in one email by the way. Here is what my data looks like starting in A4: Yes Job Title email1@work.com No Job Title email2@work.com Yes Job Title email3@work.com No Job Title email4@work.com The list of emails is going to be variable too from month to month. Thanks for the help, Tyson See http://www.rondebruin.nl/sendmail.htm Choose a Outlook example and clik on the tip link http://www.rondebruin.nl/mail/tips2.htm -- ...

Flip data within cell macro
My wife inherited a spreadsheet in which column A has peoples names in the format of John Doe. She needs to change those all to format Doe John. I've been trying to write a macro to do this but haven't been successful. Any ideas? Thanks, Dan -- ------------------------------------------------------------------------- FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM! Download Spam Inspector, the Award Winning Anti-Spam Filter http://mail.giantcompany.com "Dan Royal" <droyal7399@comcast.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:Ybc6b.369278$YN5.248298@sccrnsc01... > My wife inherited a sp...

Variable Ranges in Macros
At the end of every month I import a financial report and format it for populating 30 to different subsidiary financial reports. I have created a macro that does this formating but, each month, the length of the imported file changes causing the old static macro to be unusable. I would like to create a macro that can accomodate this variability. Any ideas? Note: The original report is about 3,400 rows long and contains financial data for over 30 subsidiaries. The macro removes headers marking page breaks for same subsidiary but leaves the starting header for new subsidiary. I have all 30+ wor...

Need help with a macro
Hello there, I would appreciate any help you guys could give me. I have a spreadsheet which have 3 labels(alpha, beta, production). Underneath each label I have two columns (number, resolution). Thes labels together with the columns are pushed up and down depending o how many cells are copied underneath of them(non-static labels). No here is what I am trying to accomplish: Under the column resolution there are 3 different items (reso, ente assi) that I would like the count of how many each one of them ther is. so I would end up with something like this: 2 reso, 4 ente, 0 assi. The spre...

Help Me Make Macro
have a form in my access 2003 database on which i embedded a "find record button". when i clik on this button a window opens asking What to Find: Look in: Search Form Match: (options are: Whole Field, Any Part Of Field, Start of Field) Search: (options are: All, Up, Down) It works fine when i select "Any Part Of Field". The code for the above FIND BUTTON is: Private Sub Find_Record_Click() On Error GoTo Err_Find_Record_Click Screen.PreviousControl.SetFocus DoCmd.DoMenuItem acFormBar, acEditMenu, 10, , acMenuVer70 Exit_Find_Record_Click: Exit Sub Err...

need help with macros
Hello folks. Cant say that I know much about macros. I am a computer support technician trying to help someone who also does not have a strong understanding of macros. I'll get right to it. The way this was explained to me was that a macro was created in excel file #1. I am told that (and I have observed this) when you open excel file #1 and excel file #2 (no macro created in #2) and then go back to file #1 and click tools > macro > macros you should see the name of the macro created already there and you should just be able to click the "run". But the name of the ma...

is this a bug? macro? virus?
I don't know how this started, but I open my Excel, and everything i fine... I open a file, and things are fine... but once I click on cell in the document, it continues to select wherever my mouse goes and nothing seems to stop it! if I leave the file open, but alt-tab, it will keep scrollin indefinitely, into 6-figures of cells. ack! my macros are set on high security, and I don't have any enabled. any ideas, please -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi you have probably invoked the 'extended selection'. Check if there is an 'EXT' in the statusba...

Cool Outlook macro!!!
great macro that solves the most annoying pain: http://www.metacafe.com/watch/423623/wow_cool_outlook_trick/ a must have!!!! ...

Can macros be retained in an emailed Word document?
I have added some macros to a template for other people to use. I tested sending the document with the macros as an attachment to an email to myself, and the macros were retained, but when I sent the document attached to an email to someone else, the macros were not imbedded in the document. Is there some way to correct this, or will I have to save the document with the macros on our network in a directory accessible to all who want to use it? I suggest you take a bit of time and read up on how macros and template actually work. The behaviour you describe is not at all unexpe...