Excel VBA - Accessing row and column indices from named ranges?

Hi,

I'm using a named range to mark the right most and bottom most column
and rows of interest. "lastrow" and "lastcolumn" respectively. There i
data outside this area that I wish to keep but the number o
rows/columns inside can grow with the project.

My intention is to select this area with a construct similar to

cells("lastrow","lastcolumn").select

Of course this will not work unless I can derive the column index fro
"lastcolumn" and row index from "lastrow".  How is this achieved?

I've just thought I can place a named cell at the intersection of thes
two ranges and use that as a range however I'm sure I'll want to get
row index or column index from a named range so I'll continue with thi
post.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Billy60

You have a range name for the lastRow and a range name for the lastColumn?

dim LastRow as Range
dim LastColumn As range

with activesheet
  set lastrow = .range("lastrow")
  set lastcolumn = .range("lastcolumn")
  .cells(lastrow.row,lastcolumn.column).select
end with

or...

dim LastRow as Long
dim LastColumn As Long

with activesheet
  lastrow = .range("lastrow").row
  lastcolumn = .range("lastcolumn").column
  .cells(lastrow,lastcolumn).select
end with

might work for you.

"billy600 <" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using a named range to mark the right most and bottom most columns
> and rows of interest. "lastrow" and "lastcolumn" respectively. There is
> data outside this area that I wish to keep but the number of
> rows/columns inside can grow with the project.
>
> My intention is to select this area with a construct similar to
>
> cells("lastrow","lastcolumn").select
>
> Of course this will not work unless I can derive the column index from
> "lastcolumn" and row index from "lastrow".  How is this achieved?
>
> I've just thought I can place a named cell at the intersection of these
> two ranges and use that as a range however I'm sure I'll want to get a
> row index or column index from a named range so I'll continue with this
> post.
>
> Many thanks in advance for any help.
>
> Billy600
>
> ---

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com
0
ec35720 (10082)
7/6/2004 5:02:18 PM
Many many thanks

hide a row
I have a worksheet with information in column A and B. If Column B has no information I want to do nothing, but if there is something in Column B, I would like to hide the row. Is this possable in an if statement? Hi not possible with a formula. This would require VBA -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Bob" <bobolah@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:OSOK8hisEHA.2556@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > I have a worksheet with information in column A and B. > > If Column B has no information I want to do nothing, but if there is > something in Column B, ...

Reporting from Project Server

Looking for Excel Help

New to excel

Auto transfer of row
I have a list of components to be ordered in each row is a cell with order number entered in it. What I want is to copy the row to anothe sheet (which is to be displayed at goods) when the order number i entered in that cell. Is this possible? many thanks for any help -- alanle ----------------------------------------------------------------------- alanled's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3094 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=57297 this could be acheived by using VLOOKUP function. if you want a perfect soluti...

More Columns #2

Excel button problem

Excel 97 #9

learning Excel #3

Columns #4
My columns in Excel have disappeared how do I get them back? Hi Me! I'm just guessing what you mean. Use: Tools > Options > General Remove check from "R1C1 reference style" OK -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au Excel and Word Function Lists (Classifications, Syntax and Arguments) available free to good homes. "me" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:12D9050B-079C-476D-B5B6-84445F60EA51@microsoft.com... > My columns in Excel have disappeared how do I get them back? Another gue...

Setting a dynamic range in a formula

Problem with Range

Access to User Calendar

q Emailing Excel Sheet With Outlook