EXCEL TROUBLESHOOTING #2

I have an excel file (2000 format), that after I made a
number of changes is causing me problems when I re-open
the file.  Windows task manager goes to 100% CPU
activity, and i cant do anything within the excel file.
However, if I set recalculation to manual before I open
the file, all seems fine.

Obvioulsy I have a problem.  But how do i find that
problem ?

Thanks in advance.
0
gburke4 (2)

I have had some experience running large spreadsheets lately. Above a
certain size, the recalculation time seems to climb very fast. While Excel
is recalculating, you can't do anything anyway.

Best in my view to set recal to manual, work on the file, then press F9 just
before you take a break. Some of my sheets have taken an hour just to
recalculate, and while that's happening, you can't do anything else with the
PC.

Microsoft software, don't you just love it?

"Gary B" <gburke4@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
> I have an excel file (2000 format), that after I made a
> number of changes is causing me problems when I re-open
> the file.  Windows task manager goes to 100% CPU
> activity, and i cant do anything within the excel file.
> However, if I set recalculation to manual before I open
> the file, all seems fine.
>
> Obvioulsy I have a problem.  But how do i find that
> problem ?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Percent increase in excel #2
How could I do a percent increase when I have two tables with money values, one from last year and one from this year? One way: A1: <last year's value> B1: <this year's value> C1: =B1/A1-1 Format C1 as a percentage. In article <29182E64-291B-4B10-804E-88FE105D24AB@microsoft.com>, "Aiko" <Aiko@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > How could I do a percent increase when I have two tables with money values, > one from last year and one from this year? Thank you for your answer, I send you and e-mail because I came up with new pro...

Outlook quitting immediately after opening #2
Outlook quitting immediately after opening Outlook quits straight after it opens. I have removed it and re-installed it but its made nodifference. I get a half second view of the inbox (which is still my original inbox which seems strange after removal and reinstallation?) -----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =----- http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =----- ...

synchronize 2 exchange 2003 servers
Hello all, How can i sync. 2 exchange servers ? Is this possible with InterOrg ? (i want also sync the GAL) thnx, Mel. Since these are 2003 servers, you need to sync AD's, really. I don't think that the old InterOrg product will work for you, but MIIS might. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/miis2003/techinfo/planning/miisgalarch.mspx "mel" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1f8fa01c45826$3511d860$a101280a@phx.gbl... > Hello all, > > How can i sync. 2 exchange servers ? > Is this possible with InterOrg ? (i want also...

shared workbook in excel 2007
So many horror stories about shared excel workbooks crashing or losing data. I would like to have a shared excel workbook for our budget, shared among 30 people, who would enter in their budgets for specific departments. Are there users that have sucessfully utilized shared workbooks with 20-30 users? If so, what tips/secrets do you have to avoid the pitfalls of other sites, who have problems??? Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice How to Create a Quiz with Free Quiz Template in Adobe Flash MX, Flash 8, Flash CS3, Flash CS4 http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tuto...

.qfx file in excel
my bank for some reason will only allow me to download my statement in a qfx file (quicken) but i dont have any quicken programs i use excel to manage my finances how can i open this file up??? If the bank does not have .text (.txt) or comma separated variables (.csv), which would probably be listed as spreadsheet format, then I would complain to the bank. Meanwhile you could copy and paste from your checking activity HTML pages. --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001] My Excel Pages: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm Search Page: ...

Pasting excel chart into powerpoint
Office 2003. When I paste an excel chart into powerpoint, it's not pasting proportionally. I've added text boxes to the chart (in Excel). Also, the original chart is a full page in Excel, however when I paste it into Powerpoint, it's being reduced in size. when I enlarge it, the text boxes (that I added) then overlap one another in powerpoint, where they didn't do this in Excel. I just switched from '97 to 2003 and this wasn't a problem. Perhaps I'll also post this to the powerpoint newsgroup, in case the problem is there instead of excel. I have so...

Running Balance in excel pivot table
Hi, Have rows: Product, transaction no have data fields: qty rec, qty iss, balance (calculated field: qty rec - qty iss) want balance to be a running total with base field of product so want something like: ======================================================= product--------doc no-----------------rec-------------------- iss-----------------------balance ======================================================= acetic acid -------------------opnbal/ 1-----------------4----------------------0---------------------- (4-0)=4 -------------------sales/ inv-----------------0--------------------...

Excel Formula Help #6
Hi Everyone I have six numbers and letters in a cell on a spreadsheet and I am using the formula =RIGHT(F1,1) to obtain the first letter or number. However the formula is not picking the first number or letter in the string in all cases. Some of the cells are left blank. Any help would be much appreciated. Kind Regards Celticshadow > .. Some of the cells are left blank Probably these are trailing white spaces which can be cleaned up using TRIM Try it as: =RIGHT(TRIM(F1),1) High-five? Click YES below -- Max Singapore http://savefile.com/projects/236895 Downloads:23,500 Files:370 S...

Merging Labels #2
Hello, I'm back with the same question. How do you get labels to merge from a database on one sheet? Not individual names on one sheet each? The instructions I have received so far does not work: 1. Under setup page size, create a blank page that is the size of one label. 2. Under Page Setup, select the option "Change Copies per Sheet", Click on "Multiple Copies Per Sheet". I still get multiple labels on one sheet with one name???? >-----Original Message----- >Hello, I'm back with the same question. How do you get labels to merge from >a database...

Unable to start up my Excel files
One of my users have this odd issue with his Excel 2003. He's unable to start the files directly but instead he must start a blank excel sheet then open his files from there. Is there a solution to this issue? Please advise. Thanks! Dell 170L P4 800mghz 1gbram Windows XP Pro SP2 Office 2003 SP2 Could the problem be that he cannot open files by double-clicking on them from Windows Explorer, but must open Excel (which will launch a blank sheet) and then open them directly from there using File / Open... If so then tell him to try Tools / Options / General / untick 'Ignore Othe...

drawing excel like grids on access reports
Hi All, I want to draw excel like grids on my access reports. The line should start from the top of each label in the page footer to the bottom of the corresponding text box in the page footer.(For each text box in the detail section, there's one unbound text box in the page footer to display totals). I don't know how to do this. can anyone please help me? -- from chanakya Baruva Can't you use rectangle or line controls in your various sections? These should work unless your sections are set to Can Grow. If this is the case, you may need to use the Line method ...

Exchange Troubleshooting assistant
Using the exchange troubleshooting assitant. I get to the step where it wants to collect performance data or use an existing .blg file. What I want it to is use an existing .etl file that I collected with exmon. Later in the process as I step through the wizard it does prompt for an existing .etl file, this is confusing. It makes you choose a .blg or create a new one but then latter asks you have a .etl file. Not sure what log file it it is using at this point. So...is there a way to convert a .etl to .blg so that I can use my exising ..etl log file, or can somebody explain why it...

How can I print page 2 of each sheet in a workbook?
If I understand your request, the first point to clarify is that "each sheet" does not have a page 2 - If there are 10 sheets & each one contains 2 pages of data, each page is still sequentially numbered 1-20. One option is to select the area to be printed on each sheet and go to File>Print Area>Set Print Area. Once you do this for each sheet, go to the Print dialog box and select Entire Workbook. HTH |:>) "sflower" wrote: > ...

Change Default View #2
Is it possible to determine a user's business unit and set the account entity default view depending on the business unit? I know it is not standard, I just am not sure if there is a way through javascript or the SDK to do it. Thanks You may be able to use a plug-in on the SavedQuery RetriveMultiple event. Here is an example to hide system views :- http://msdynamicscrm-e.blogspot.com/2008/02/hiding-view-in-crm-40-using-plug-in.html This is just a starting point to give you an example. You would have to check if the query being passed is to return the default view, and if so overr...

Why is Excel trying to access the network
I'm pasting some text into a cell - it did come from a website, but it's not a link or anything. It's just plain text - why the need to access the network? Maybe it's another cell, switch to formula view and see if you see something else. Because the formula view may not show everything, you might want to copy to another sheet so you can adjust columns to see your formulas better without affecting the column widths on the original. --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001] My Excel Pages: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm ...

Excel no more new fonts
I'm getting the message "no more new fonts may be applied to this workbook". How can I get around this? Thanks. Tuan, Any chance that you have a lot of charts in the workbook? There's a limit of 256 fonts in a workbook and each chart uses up two of them. Check here for more info. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-ca;168650 John "Tuan Ma" <tma@conocophillips.com> wrote in message news:0e5201c365f4$c036d370$a001280a@phx.gbl... > I'm getting the message "no more new fonts may be applied > to this workbook". How can...

2 questions from a beginner
Hi i have 2 questions on how to do things if anyone could help it woul be great. I need to create a text box and a button where when you ente a number in the text and click the button it mutiplies the number, th question actually looks like this... a) Define a variable Mult in you code b) When the user clicks the button if the textbox has an empty string set the variable Mult to 10. If it is not empty, set the variable Mul to the number they typed into the textbox. c) Use a for..next loop to fill in the values in column A and B a shown in the sample. Hint use the cell property. and the othe...

What's wrong in this formula???? #2
I don't really understand: I have several 'ElseIf' conditions, for 3 it should be multiplied b 100, for 4 by 125 etc. So i have precise amounts to calculate according to the number of hours (2,3,4,5 or over). I don't see how can a MAX or MIN determination be the solution. Could you please clarify this? Cheers -- Ekse ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Ekser's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1140 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27484 Did you try it? -- ...

Excel charts into powerpoint
Is there some simple code that I can use to get a group of excel charts into an existing powerpoint presentation? ...

CRM 1.2...What kinds of language is available ???
Hey, I heard CRM 1.2 is availbale in 9 languages.... but don't know what languages are included.... so please, let me know what languages are included!!! Thanks!!! Here you go: U.S. English International English German French Italian Spanish Dutch Danish Brazilian Portuguese Frank Lee Workopia, Inc. San Francisco, CA >> Other Microsoft CRM Online Forum Resources: http://www.workopia.com/Links.htm >-----Original Message----- >Hey, >I heard CRM 1.2 is availbale in 9 languages.... >but don't know what languages are included.... > >so please, let me know...

Advice on Exchange 2003 Recovery #2
I have spent the last 6 hours going over the MS docs on Exchange 2k3 recovery, but none seem to address this situation I have. 1 Seattle office 1 New York office Both have a domain controller serving a single domain. The single Exchange 2003 server is in the Seattle location. Disaster Recovery Scenario: Seattle is Nuked Somehow I and my colleagues survive. We go to our disaster recovery facility in Portland, OR and install a fresh copy of Windows on new hardware, VPN to New York, and add the new server as a second DC to the New York DC. My question is how am I to recover exchange? I have...

Display comments as data #2
thanks a lot , this worked exactly as required, the comment go converted to data Now just one more thing . is the vice versa possible i.e if i have dat in column A can it be shown as comment in column B. the reason i need this is bcos i am shifting some data with thei comments to MS access(Hence the need to convert omments to data) processing them and again converting them to excel (the need to conver data back to comments -- sonik ----------------------------------------------------------------------- sonika's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=...

How to 1. Jump to a specific page (in a massive document) based on a search then 2. Copy and paste an string of characters a few lines above it.
BACKGROUND/CONTEXT I am working from a very large word document, approximately 1000 pages long. Each page has one 'article' on it. I am currently doing something manually, which I would love to do using a macro. I am populating a table (which happens to be in an Excel spreadsheet) One column is the Article number 'xxxxx'. One of the other columns is a 'Topic' which is typically three alphanumeric characters (like AA1, AD4, BB4 DO6 etc.) PROBLEM/TASK This is what i have to do Step 1 - Jump to the page with the article number. Achieved by p...

Virus in Excel ???
I can't right click, copy and paste a cell. I can use ctrl c and ctrl v but that puts the info in the clipboard. The blinking dotted box no longer appears. Is this in a worksheet of yours, that nobody else has used? There is a way to use VBA code to prevent you from using right click to do anything. tod >-----Original Message----- >I can't right click, copy and paste a cell. I can use ctrl c and ctrl v but >that puts the info in the clipboard. The blinking dotted box no longer >appears. >. > Yes a new worksheet. The right click works. I can copy but when ...

Excel 2002 Problem
My first message accidentally sent before I finished typing in the second problem. Second problem again: Macro buttons that I have created and placed on my Formatting toolbar do not work when I open Excel 2002 and have two or more workbooks open. The macros for each button are stored in my Personal workbook. I get a message saying "A document with the name PERSONAL.XLS is already open. You cannot open two documents with the same name." However, if I go to customize toolbars, I can reassign the macro to each button and the buttons work fine. If I close Excel and open ...