Excel should allow independent zoom adjustment of split panes

I use the split pane feature of Excel, but I feel it could be improved if one
could independently adjust the zoom of each pane.   One of the panes could
then be used as a sort of outline at fractional magnification, while the
other pane could be used to modify individual cell content at higher
magnification.
0
User (142)

Hi

if you'ld like to let MS know - send them an email at
mswish@microsoft.com

with Excel in the subject line.

cheers
JulieD

"One Excel User" <One Excel User@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I use the split pane feature of Excel, but I feel it could be improved if
>one
> could independently adjust the zoom of each pane.   One of the panes could
> then be used as a sort of outline at fractional magnification, while the
> other pane could be used to modify individual cell content at higher
> magnification.

0
JulieD1 (2295)
1/11/2005 3:56:26 PM
One,

One issue would be that the rows (or columns) would no longer line up across
the panes, as they do with split panes. You may wish to use a separate
window (Window - New window).  You can put the windows side by side, and
have total control of sheet selection, zooming, etc., in each.  More
trouble, but it might be worth it in for your requirements.

--
Earl Kiosterud

"One Excel User" <One Excel User@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I use the split pane feature of Excel, but I feel it could be improved if
>one
> could independently adjust the zoom of each pane.   One of the panes could
> then be used as a sort of outline at fractional magnification, while the
> other pane could be used to modify individual cell content at higher
> magnification.

0
nothanks4548 (968)
1/11/2005 3:58:56 PM
This is a peer-to-peer newsgroup, so there's no real expectation that
anyone from MS will see your suggestion.

Try sending an email, with Excel in the subject line, to

    mswish@microsoft.com

In article <E3588DE6-D474-4DFB-B2C9-5D31BDABCF00@microsoft.com>,
 "One Excel User" <One Excel User@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I use the split pane feature of Excel, but I feel it could be improved if one
> could independently adjust the zoom of each pane.   One of the panes could
> then be used as a sort of outline at fractional magnification, while the
> other pane could be used to modify individual cell content at higher
> magnification.
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
1/11/2005 4:00:02 PM
Instead of Split Panes use two side by side Windows, which can be zoomed at
differing values.

With your workbook open to a sheet, select Window>New Window

Then Window>Arrange>Vertical.

Each window can have the same or different view of the sheet or a different
sheet or even a sheet in a separate open workbook.

Not what you asked for for, just an alternative.

To reach MS with your suggestion go to

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 07:53:06 -0800, "One Excel User" <One Excel
User@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I use the split pane feature of Excel, but I feel it could be improved if one
>could independently adjust the zoom of each pane.   One of the panes could
>then be used as a sort of outline at fractional magnification, while the
>other pane could be used to modify individual cell content at higher
>magnification.

0
Gord
1/11/2005 6:54:28 PM
just some further info...

After you do that window|new window, and you'll see something like:

book1.xls:1
book1.xls:2
(the :# represents those windows--not separate copies of the workbook).

When you get tired of seeing those separate windows, select the one you don't
want anymore.  Hit ctrl-w to close it.

Remember to save the workbook the way you like.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Clip art in Excel 2007
Hello, I have two clip arts in my Excel 2007 one is check mark and the another is a "X" in a particular cell I would display the text "Balance", which I like to have the check mark clip art appear. If the same cell has the text "Not Balance" then I want to show the clip art with the "X" and the clip art with the check mark disappear. Is this possible? I would appreciate any tips. Thank you in advance. If you want check to appear when text in cell a1=balance and x when text reads no balance try this in B1 =IF(A1="balance...

excel 2007 schemas
PLEASE HELP :( i am trying to link a pdf file to excel thru a schema i think what i am missing to get the correct mapping is locking or labeling the column headings anyone out there who can help will earn major karma points thanks ...

Assign Macro to button in Excel doesnt work Any ideas?
I have followed the instructions in help but when I get to step 3 "right click to bring up shortcut menu & enter Assign Macro" the assign macro" option does not appear!! Any Ideas Hi Mike can you see assign macro - but it is greyed out? or is it not an option at all? if it is greyed out you'll notice around the button little diagonal lines, click on these and they should go furryish .. now try right mouse clicking. if the option is not there at all, please post back letting us know how you created the button. Cheers JulieD "Mike@Becketts" <Mike@B...

Arrow Keys in Excel #3
While typeing in Excel, my arrow keys suddenly changed from moving from "cell to cell" to scrolling the screen. I cannot figure out how to change the keys back so that they move from "cell to cell." Any suggestions? Hit the scroll lock key. -- Damon Longworth Don't miss out on the 2005 Excel User Conference Sept 16th and 17th Stockyards Hotel - Ft. Worth, Texas www.ExcelUserConference.com "Claude" <Claude@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:20EFD914-65E1-4B08-8522-F284276F7E2A@microsoft.com... > While typeing in Excel, my arrow...

Independently Formatting Columns and Rows
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Is there a way to independently format the width of a column on specific cells? In other words, if I wanted to change the width of the cells in the middle of the document, can I do so without affecting the width of the cells above it and below it? On 2010-05-28 12:40:38 -0400, monks617@officeformac.com said: > Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: > Intel Is there a way to independently format the width of a column on > specific cells? In other words, if I want...

Using a two-dimensional array in Excel 2002 or 2003
I am trying to improve my coding skills in Excel VBA and I just can't seem to find a good, very basic, example of how to use a 2-dimensional array. I've looked in several reference books & browsed VBA Forums but can't find an example I can understand. What I was trying to do was define a 3 x 4 Array that has a data type of Single. My sample data is located in Cells E1:H3. E F G H 1 3.4 8.1 11.6 100.3 2 5.2 7.3 45.2 632.4 3 1.7 9.6 39.7 161.5 I've been trying to use the LBound and UBound functions too, thinkin...

Excel Macros #4
I am running Excel 2003 and when I start one of my worksheets I get a message about the worksheet having macros. When I go to Tools Macros there are none listed. I did attempt to create a macro years ago, under Excel 97 but I could never find it or use it. How can I get rid of any macro remnent when it does not show in the list of macros. The security message is a pain in the neck when I know that there is no macro in existance Thanks of any help DJT When you record a macro, Excel creates a module in which the code is stored. When you delete the macro, the module is not automatically de...

import fixed-length text file into excel
- 2 2299 Del Pietro M Wintervill NC 1:18:26 2:44:0 2:44:11 6:16 - 1 2045 Robert Marchinko M Salisbury NC 1:15:34 2:31:1 2:31:20 5:47 I have a text file where each field starts at same column and of th same length in each record. I tried cut&Paste, I tried opening it in excel as a tab delimited file I tried as a fixed-length file None of these worked. Data came in scrambled or into scrunched columns If the data were a table then cut&paste works great. What's the secret in loading above 2 records into Excel? I couldn' simulate the look ...

Why with Excel Xp takes too much time to open and in 2003 fast?
I have 2 computers, in one I have Excel XP (2002) and in the other I have Excel 2003, I've been receiving files wich I need to check with my Excel XP, the problem is that it takes too much time to open, and when I try to open it with Excel 2003 it open normaly (fast). What can I do? Urgent, please I will thank you to send answer : eguevara2000@hotmail.com Thanks ________________________ Tengo 2 computadoras, una con Excel Xp (2002) y la otra con 2003, he recibido archivos pero con Excel XP tarda mucho tiempo en abrir los archivos, mientras que en 2003 lo hace normal (rapido), a ...

Excel 2003 #21
When doing “Local Save As”, under Tools on the Save As dialog, there should be “Save Options” but this is not on menu?? Has this been disabled in office 2003?? There is no Local Save As for Excel--any version. You are likely using some kind of Document Management Software. If you upgraded Excel, you may have to upgrad the other program as well. tj "Ritu" wrote: > When doing “Local Save As”, under Tools on the Save As dialog, there should > be “Save Options” but this is not on menu?? Has this been disabled in office > 2003?? Ritu File>Save As>Tools>Genera...

How do I hide formulas in Excel cells?
I have a worksheet with lots of different formulas. I need to have the complete sheet show the formulas and not the results. I did this before a few years ago but don't remember how. I am working on Excel 2000. Any help would be greatly appreciated. TOOLS / OPTIONS / FORMULAS HTH, Gary Brown "Rita" wrote: > I have a worksheet with lots of different formulas. I need to have the > complete sheet show the formulas and not the results. I did this before a > few years ago but don't remember how. I am working on Excel 2000. Any help > would be gr...

Excel Window Menu
Hi all, I am using Excel 2000 and I am working with over 20 excel files at the same time. The window menu shows only the first 9 files and I want to know if it is possible to see all open workbooks in the window menu without clicking the "More Windows" button? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Oguz Hi Oguz. If you are using Windows XP as your operating system, you could right click on your XP toolbar and select properties, then check the 'Group similar taskbar buttons'. I just opened 24 files and it showed them all when clicking on the minimised toolbar button. R...

Excel and ebay lists
Has anyone found a way to put the contents of ebay files, including pictures, into an excel database? I am trying to keep track of prices for items sold. Thanks ...

Excel Link to another Excel file and formulas
I have a formula that I want to "fill" down through my spreadsheet ='I:\filepath\[filename.xls]worksheet!$B$5 When I fill the formula down it does not change the reference. e.g. ='I:\filepath\[filename.xls]worksheet!$B$6 ='I:\filepath\[filename.xls]worksheet!$B$7 ='I:\filepath\[filename.xls]worksheet!$B$8 Everything remains as referencing $B$5 How can I get around this issue? Thanks, RICK The problem is that your use of an absolute reference is holding the cell reference constant. Try changing the $B$5 to: $B5 if you want to keep the column set as B as you...

Excel #158
I recently completed testing at a temp office and on the test I was asked to perform a Pack and Go Wizard in Excel. What is a Pack and Go Wizard? There is a Pack and Go Wizard in PowerPoint, which allows you to package the PowerPoint presentation onto a disk or CD to be shown on another PC. That other PC does not necessarily need PowerPoint installed. Could that be what you tested on? "Cola" wrote: > I recently completed testing at a temp office and on the test I was asked to > perform a Pack and Go Wizard in Excel. What is a Pack and Go Wizard? ...

Excel spread sheet #2
Every time I open ANY excel document on this CP it displays each individual cell as a page.......how do I change this setting? Moving each page break takes too long abd does not alway work. Hi try this macro to remove them all at once: Sub remove_them() ActiveSheet.ResetAllPageBreaks End Sub -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "dlam25mmm" <dlam25mmm@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:94BDFE5F-6CB2-4717-BE90-14A4245E0023@microsoft.com... > Every time I open ANY excel document on this CP it displays each individual > cell as a page.......how d...

Excel says: "links cannot be updated"
I have two linked files. One references cells from the other. When opening the file with the references in it while the other file is closed Excel gives the error message "This workbook contains one or more links that cannot be updated". However, there's a button "Edit links..." that shows no problems with the linked file. It's status is "OK". All of the links are indeed updated, so the error message seems wrong. Anyone seen this before? The two files are normal Excel-files (version 2003), the "update remote references"-option is checked an...

Chart disappears in Excel 2000 after scale is changed
When the scale of the chart is changed, the chart disappears. The chart and its data are on the same worksheet. ...

PDF Format for Excel
Can Excel spreadsheets be save in PDF format? Thom, Excel can't save files directly to PDF files. You need a third party product like Adobe's Acrobat (full version, not just the free Reader), or something like PDF995 (www.pdf995.com) . -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "Thom" <thancox@lgbcpa.com> wrote in message news:090401c3cfb4$a5eef630$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Can Excel spreadsheets be save in PDF format? Thom, Yes, but you need a program capable of doing so... A popular one is Adobe Acrob...

Why doesn't the tools/options work in Excel?
About a month ago I was not able to get to the "Options" screen under tools. I still can't even after reloading and repairing Office. I can get to the "options" under Word but not Excel. I am using Office 2003. Help me get it so that I can get to Tools/Options. Is it gone or what happens when you try to open options? If it's gone, do view>toolbars>customize. select commands, scroll to toolbar and select in the left pane, in the right pane scroll to options (at end) then drag it to its place. You could try to rename *xlb to something like *.bak res...

Excel XP 2002 compatibility with older versions (macros)
I have developed a spreadsheet that has macros in it. I have sent it out to be used by others, but an error message pops up when those with older versions of Excel try to use the macro. Is there something I can do to make this macro work for those with older versions of Excel? That depends entirely on exactly WHAT the error message is. If you are using VBA functions that correspond to features not available in the older version(s) of Excel, then you'll have to remove that code. Potentially you can alter it to do it the "old" way so that it works, or you can perform a tes...

How do I format text as a bulleted item in Excel? Is it possible?
It's a manual effort. You can use Insert|Symbol (if you're using xl2002+) or copy the bullet you want from CharMap. (Windows start button|charmap). You'll have to select that character in the formulabar and change the font to what you want. Chip Pearson has an addin that may help (if you're using xl2k or lower). http://www.cpearson.com/excel/download.htm (look for Symbolizer and make sure you get the correct version) DRB wrote: -- Dave Peterson Dave Peterson <petersod@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote in news:43062E62.984DE524@verizonXSPAM.net: > Or with: http://...

how to change between Excel 2003 and 2010 as default
How to change between Excel 2003 and 2010 as default on your pc (note excel 2003 must be installed in a special directory so that it does not overwrite excel 2010 files): excel2003.bat rem Enter this first to disassociate an excel version... "c:\program files (x86)\microsoft Office2003\Office11\Excel.exe" /unregserver "c:\program files (x86)\microsoft Office\Office14\Excel.exe" /unregserver rem Then enter this to specify the default version... "c:\program files (x86)\microsoft Office2003\Office11\Excel.exe" /regserver excel2010.bat rem Enter this firs...

Export addresses from Word to Excel
How can I export addresses from Word to Excel so that the address lines stay in one cell Thanks, Benedict How does your data look in Word? >-----Original Message----- >How can I export addresses from Word to Excel so that the address lines stay in one cell? > >Thanks, Benedict >. > Dave Peterson posted the following advice to a similar question: '========================================== I do this: Inside Word, select the table and do two Edit|Replaces. First one replaces paragraph mark (^p) with a unique string ($$$) second one replaces manual line break (^l) (l...

Convert Access Database to Excel?
I am a very new Access/Excel user. Is it possible to convert an Access database to Excel? Thank you -- mae Somewhat. At the core of Access, there are tables which are easily transferrable to Excel. Limitations are that Access can store MANY more records/rows than Excel (pre-2007) can hold. To check, open up the Access tables, and see how many records there are. (note that its from here you can easily select all data, copy, and paste into XL) Typically, Access is used when dealing with large amount of records, or if you need lots of interactions/relations between the tables. But, wit...