Excel saved as Word

A colleague opened a spreadsheet in Word, made changes and
saved it. Now it cannot be opened in Excel and only the
first Worksheet is available. Anyone dealt with this?

Thanks!
0
anonymous (74722)

> Anyone dealt with this?

Yup - killed the colleague.

Not much you can do unless you have a backup.

In article <976401c3ea61$1d23f950$a601280a@phx.gbl>,
 "Dean" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> A colleague opened a spreadsheet in Word, made changes and
> saved it. Now it cannot be opened in Excel and only the
> first Worksheet is available. Anyone dealt with this?
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
2/3/2004 2:26:42 PM
Thanks. IT is working on finding the backup. I'll deal
with the colleague....

Dean

0
anonymous (74722)
2/3/2004 3:22:28 PM
Ways of dealing with colleague:-

Tools / Options / Autocorrect or Tools / Autocorrect Options

Put a 1 in and have it change to a 9
Put a 2 in and have it change to a 9
Put a 3 in and have it change to a 9
Put a 4 in and have it change to a 9
..
..
..
Put a 9 in and have it change to a 1

You get the drift.

Also, Tools / Options / International / View Current Sheet right to left

Or

Tools / Options / Edit / Fixed Decimal places - Tick and put in 2.

Wait 1 day then put them out of their misery.  :-)

--
Regards
                  Sys Spec - Win XP Pro /  XL 00/02/03

"Dean" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks. IT is working on finding the backup. I'll deal
> with the colleague....
>
> Dean

---

ken.wright (2489)

Working with Excel #2
Dear friends! I have the following problem - I am needing to represent in Excel a number with 20 (or more) digits. How can I do this? Many thanks! Hi Igor2005, > I have the following problem - I am needing to represent in Excel a number > with 20 (or more) digits. How can I do this? > That is only possible with either: - an addin (search google, there should be something for this, I recall seeing it but misplaced the link). - or by formatting the cell as text (but you won't be able to do math with the number easily then) Regards, Jan Karel Pieterse Excel MVP www.jkp-ad...

Excel 2007 and XML with inline schema
Hi. I have XML data that I want to be more user-friendly when its opened in excel. The user can create a web Query which will return the xml to them - ( pointing to the URL with the XML information)- and they can refresh the query each time they open the document in excel. Unfortunately- they have to format the data in excel manually. I wanted to associate an inline schema with the data to format the date cells, number cells etc. but the schema is not recognised in Excel. I have been just trying to get excel to recognise an inline schema- is this possible in the Excel? Any information regardi...

Practical Jokes in Excel?
Hello - What practical jokes have you played with Excel, either VBA or just built-in features? With all of the creativity on this Board, I figure there's got to be quite a few gems out there ... One of my coworkers thinks he knows it all, so I'd like to punk him ... my initial thought was a macro that would speak something (using text-to-speech) or play a sound when a specific key is pressed (say, the SHIFT or CTRL keys). I have absolutely no idea where to start with this ... thoughts? Looking forward to seeing what's been done before! //ray On Mar 2, 12:43=...

Using Word 2003 as email editor in Outlook 2003
Hi When I try to use Word 2003 as my email editor I get instead: " Microsoft Word is set to be your email editor. However, Word is unavailable, not installed, or is not the same version as Outlook. The Outlook email editor will be used instead." This used to work prior to my changing file servers at work a couple of weeks ago. I have tried a LOT of suggestions, including those in the Show Help button of the error dialog and here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906307/en-us and here: http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/wizard.mspx?query=word+as+outlook...

save e-mail on server
Everytime I sign on to check my e-mail I have discovered the "advanced" setting to save my e-mail for 60 days on the server is turned off. How do I get this setting to permanently stay activated? Hard to say without any configuration details and what exactly you did where. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://www.msoutlook.info/ Real World Questions, Real World Answers ----- "Irish Travelor" <Irish Travelor@discussions.microsoft.com>...

Excel loads slow
We just recently upgraded to XP SP2 with Office XP SP3. Before, on 2000, our users did not have a problem opening files from a certain directory. Now, while in Excel, the click the open folder and it takes 30-45 seconds for them to navigate to each folder in the directory. Any thoughts as to why XP is slower when drilling down through the folders? Thanks. Right-click on the My Computer icon on the Windows desktop, left-click on Disconnect Network Drive, and disconnect any mapped drives that are not currently available. Shane wrote: > We just recently upgraded to XP SP2 with Off...

project mgmt add on for excel
Is there a project management add on for excel inc. gant charts? ...

Excel For Mac 04-23-10
Several people in our company recently started to use MACs. They cannot open ..xlsx files we have created in Excel 2007. Does anyone know what the solution is to this issue. Thanks. We do not need to run macros. But they just need to open the files. Mike H. - Be sure Mac Excel 2008 has the most recent updates, currently 12.2.4, and then run the Mac disk utility to repair permissions. If you have the problem when you're using 12.2.4, I suggest posting in the very active newsgroup microsoft.public.mac.office.excel. To avoid offending some Mac users, be sure to re...

Embedded Word Document
Hi, I have got an excel sheet with an embedded word document within it. I have a problem when it comes to printing out the sheet. If the user has type information into the embedded word document and it has gone over two or more pages, only the first page gets printed. Is there a way to get the others printed out? Thanks for any help. pG -- purplegerbil ------------------------------------------------------------------------ purplegerbil's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28461 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=4...

Copy a word doc to excel and hyperlink data between the 2.
I have a chart on an excel document and a long word document explaining the data in the chart. I would like to place the word document under the chart in excel. Then I would like to hyperlink the data from the chart to specific places in the word document. Help.....I have been trying to figure it out for days. Thank you. ...

Saving copy of e-mail on server
How do I stop saving copies of all my e-mails to my server. It's gettoing jammed. Thanks! >-----Original Message----- >How do I stop saving copies of all my e-mails to my >server. It's gettoing jammed. Thanks! >. > What kind of a server do you use? POP3, Hotmail, MSN, or IMAP? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Cent...

bmp files in Excel Hyperlinks open with wrong program
I have a list of tools in Excel, and I have used Excel's hyperlinking feature to allow displaying a picture of the tool by clicking the link. They always open with Paint, regardless of what I do in the "Folder Options >> File Types" box. I have customized the .BMP file type by adding "Edit with Paint" and "Edit with PhotoEditor" entries to the default settings. Does Excel look for the entry actually labeled "Open" or does it just grab the first entry from the list? (in this case, "Edit with Paint" is first, because they are ...

Excel 2007 convert into tab delimeter text file with extra tab spa
Hi , Sub: I have excel 2007 trying to save as tab delimeted text file having an issue. I have saved my excel 2007 as separate Tab delimited Text files. I see extra tabs stored in the tab delimited text files. But when I do the same with excel 2003 it works fine there is not extra tabs stored in my tab delimited text file. My excel 2007 conveted to tab delimited text file looks like as shown below(Extra two tabs at the end of the each record). Data0<Tab>data1<Tab><Tab> Data2<Tab>data3<Tab><Tab> Appreciate your help in advance. Rega...

Word cannot complete the save due to a file permission error
Hi there, One of my corporate users is experiencing an odd issue producing an error message when attempting to save a Word 2007 document. 1. User has the pre-existing (not new) document open and clicks the save button. 2. In what seems to be a random occurrence, the document will bring up a "Save As" dialog box asking him where to save, as if Word forgot where the document is already saved! Odd thing is, it shows the proper location where the file already exists. 3. User will choose the same location and replace the file. Sometimes it will overwrite and save prope...

Bug Report
On Mac ----------- Construct linear plot in Excel including: 1. Title 2. X-axis label 3. Y-axis label Copy and Paste into Word Save and send to PC On PC ---------- Open file in Word Notice Y-axis label is gone I'm a Biochemistry student who uses Excel to do lots of number crunching. I use a 1.25G Powerbook G4 with OS X 10.4.3 and the newest version of Office. I copy plots from Excel to Word often when writing reports without any problems. Recently, I've began submitting reports electronically via email and my professor uses a PC. When he opens my files, Y-axis labels are mis...

Word found no merge fields in your main document.
I have been having good luck with mail merge but have suddenly encountered problem merging Excel data into a word document. All goes well until I elect Entire worksheet. It is at this point, an error? window opens with this message: Word found no merge fields in your main document. Choose the edit main Document butto to insert merge fields into your main document As this may be more a Word problem, I will post in both areas. Here is additional information. I have Office 2000 and XP. Recently working with this same database I created a phone directory. It turns out the data was old and I have...

Temporary Excel files.
Hi, does anyone know where Excel stores its temp files to managing multiple opened copies of the same workbook? Word stores its lock files in same directory of the opened document, but Excel? Thanks in advance for the answers. Alex On a single user (non-networked pc), excel will put a few files in your windows temp folder. But I think it does more than just that. (Just guessing!) When the workbook is on a network, excel/windows is smart enough to be able to tell that second person the the file is in use. If the only indicator were on the first user's temp file, then the seco...

VBA to export large tables from Excel to SQL Server

Import into Access from Excel, passing a variable as the field...
Hello all, I have an Excel spreadsheet with a header that contains the exact same 30 names as the corresponding 30 fields in an Access DB table, and Row 2 below the Header contains the data I want to import. Instead, of physically typing all 30 fields in the code, I have a macro that loops through each "field" name that it got from the spreadsheet header. When I run this macro I get "run-time error '3265' Item not found in this collection', however, when I specify the actual field Name manually it works. This what I have: Dim iColumn As Integer Dim FieldName As ...

how to use RichInk control for Mobile word
Hi all, I am trying to view the word documents in Pocket PC. I got some MFC code in the following link. http://www.pocketpcdn.com/articles/word_embed.html It is doing well for reading Pocket PC 2003 word document (.psw). I tried this to read Mobile word ( Word document for WM 5.0).It showing some same invalid data for any input. If anybody has idea on it please help me.. Thank you, Supriya. ...

when inserting a chart excel is saying i cannot add any new fonts
When I attempt to insert a chart i am getting a message which says,"no new fonts may be added to this workbook". I am adding it to a billing process and I did the first 100 or so before it began this doing this, I am not adding any new fonts but I am getting this message, any suggestions on what is the cause so I can overcome it? I've described the problem and fix here: Error: "No more new fonts may be applied in this workbook" http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/FixFonts.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier Peltier Technical Services, Inc. http://peltier...

Excel 97 on Windows XP data sort error
I have had sorting errors using Excel 97 running on Windows XP. Is there a fix for this? I check Excel updates and the microsoft website says I already have all updates. Please tell what sort of errors. "Steve P" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:00af01c39601$ad0c3d20$a001280a@phx.gbl... > I have had sorting errors using Excel 97 running on > Windows XP. Is there a fix for this? I check Excel > updates and the microsoft website says I already have all > updates. Sort errors are almost always data problems. You might have numeri...

Excel saved as Word
A colleague opened a spreadsheet in Word, made changes and saved it. Now it cannot be opened in Excel and only the first Worksheet is available. Anyone dealt with this? Thanks! > Anyone dealt with this? Yup - killed the colleague. Not much you can do unless you have a backup. In article <976401c3ea61$1d23f950$a601280a@phx.gbl>, "Dean" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > A colleague opened a spreadsheet in Word, made changes and > saved it. Now it cannot be opened in Excel and only the > first Worksheet is available. Anyone dealt with th...

Excel Font Problem
Every time I enter a number <1 into my Excel worksheet, it prints in white which is too hard to see. I have the font set at black. How do I get ALL the numbers to print in black One thing to possibly check: 1. Tools > Options > Color and try Reset. HTH Select those cells and see what Format>Conditional Formattting reveals. Sounds like you have a setting that whites the font on values <1 Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 08:09:04 -0700, Heather S <Heather S@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Every time I enter a number <1 into my Excel worksheet, ...

Memories of Lotus 1-2-3
Way back in the deep dark recesses of my memory I seem to recall some way of extracting all unique values of a certain field from a database in Lotus 1-2-3 to a different portion of the spreadsheet. I have a need to do the same thing now, but like most of the world, I am using Excel now. I can't seem to figure out how to get this done in Excel...in Lotus...I think it was with a data - extract command. Thanks for the help !! Put a label cell on top of the column containing the data Click on the label cell and then pulldown: Data > Filter > Advanced Filter... Check Copy to a...