excel putting random cells into date format

I opened a new spreadsheetand started inputting data.
About 100 lines into a very simple sheet of only 3
columns the numbers started turning inot dates all by
them selves.  I highlighted the cells and reformatted to
the general formatting and it immediately went back to
the date format.  Additionally, when I printede the
spreadsheet it printed pages and pages of blank gridlined
sheets until I realized it and turned off the printer.
THen when I saved the file it was 7meg!  This file had 5
pages, 3 colums each and no more than 300 rows each.  I
cut and pasted the data into a spreadshet somone had
emailed me and when saving that one it was only 114 k.
What am I missing?
0
rmudge (1)

Hi Rob,

Was the data originally numbers or text?

Lane

Vlookup return most recent date (value)
Hello, I have a set of data where Column A contains an personal ID# (001). Column B contains a timestamp. My table has multiple entries for each ID# and different timestamps for each entry. I want to use a vlookup to find the MOST RECENT timestamp for EACH ID. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Ryan With your data in ColA/B and the query ID in cell C1 try the below =SUMPRODUCT(MAX(($A$2:$A$100=C1)*$B$2:$B$100)) -- Jacob (MVP - Excel) "ryanholliday" wrote: > Hello, > > I have a set of data where Column A contains an personal I...

excel database 25,000 plus names #2
I am working with a database i set up in excel. It has over 25,000 names, total size of file is 274mb. If i transfer all my data from an excel database to access, will i work faster. Right now it takes forever to open and save. I am told it is not my computer. any tips??? -- mikedipaol ----------------------------------------------------------------------- mikedipaola's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3568 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=55465 ...

conditional formatting sort

Looking for Excel Help

New to excel

Excel button problem

Excel 97 #9

Need Help, Task Start Date is wrong

default values in a cell

learning Excel #3

random number generator
Hey is there a way to generate random numbers like you would for a draft. In other words, i have numbers 1 through 10 and generate a random order for those? Use the RAND() function. If 1-10 are in A1:A10, enter =RAND() in cell B1 and copy it down through B10. Recalc (F9), then sort by column B. Hope this helps, Hutch "pat67" wrote: > Hey is there a way to generate random numbers like you would for a > draft. In other words, i have numbers 1 through 10 and generate a > random order for those? > . > You would have to generate 10 random numbers ...

Excel VBA

q Emailing Excel Sheet With Outlook