Excel Pivot Table - Calculated Items Problem

I have created a Pivot table with the following fields:

Customer; Product; Actual; Budget; Variance where 'Variance' is
calculated Item within field name 'Version' using formul
'Actual-Budget'. (ie Some records in the raw data have version set t
'Actual' and others have version set to 'Budget'. I am trying t
compare Actual and Budget). The problem I have is that when I use thi
calculated Item, the results displayed include combination of ever
possible Product and Customer even if the data does not include such
combination. This means that I have a huge pivot table with hundreds o
blank lines.

Has anyone encountered this problem, and if so, does any one know of
suitable fix?

Please advise.

Thanks

Bobs:confused

If you have Excel 2002, or later version, you can use a macro similar to
the following, to hide calculated items that are zero:

'=============================
Sub HideZeroCalcItems()
'hide rows that contain zeros for calculated items
'by Debra Dalgleish
Dim r As Integer
Dim i As Integer
Dim pt As PivotTable
Dim pf1 As PivotField
Dim pf2 As PivotField
Dim df As PivotField
Dim pi As PivotItem
Dim pi2 As PivotItem
Dim pd As Range
Dim str As String
Set pt = Sheets("Pivot").PivotTables(1)
Set df = pt.PivotFields("Units") 'data field
Set pf1 = pt.PivotFields("Item") 'column field
Set pf2 = pt.PivotFields("Rep") 'row field
Set pi = pf1.PivotItems("YearVar") 'calculated item

For Each pi2 In pf2.PivotItems
   pi2.Visible = True
Next pi2

i = pf2.PivotItems.Count
For r = i To 1 Step -1
   On Error Resume Next
   str = Cells(r + 5, 1).Value
   Set pd = pt.GetPivotData(df.Value, pf1.Value, _
     pi.Value, pf2.Value, str)
   If pd.Value = 0 Then
     pf2.PivotItems(str).Visible = False
   End If
Next r

End Sub
'==============================

For earlier versions, you could use the following code to hide the rows:
'==========================
Sub HideZeroRows()
'hide worksheet rows that contain all zeros
'by John Green
Dim rRow As Range

For Each rRow In ActiveSheet _
   .PivotTables(1).DataBodyRange.Rows
   If Application.Sum(rRow) = 0 Then
     rRow.EntireRow.Hidden = True
   Else
     'DD --I added this to unhide
     'any previously hidden rows
     rRow.EntireRow.Hidden = False
   End If
Next rRow
End Sub
'=========================

BobsySpud < wrote:
> I have created a Pivot table with the following fields:
>
> Customer; Product; Actual; Budget; Variance where 'Variance' is a
> calculated Item within field name 'Version' using formula
> 'Actual-Budget'. (ie Some records in the raw data have version set to
> 'Actual' and others have version set to 'Budget'. I am trying to
> compare Actual and Budget). The problem I have is that when I use this
> calculated Item, the results displayed include combination of every
> possible Product and Customer even if the data does not include such a
> combination. This means that I have a huge pivot table with hundreds of
> blank lines.
>
> Has anyone encountered this problem, and if so, does any one know of a
> suitable fix?
>
> Please advise.
>
> Thanks
>
> Bobs:confused:
>

> ---

Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

0
dsd1 (5911)

Banking Services Update Problem #2
I have successfully completed all of the steps as provided for in the update instructions. Initially updates were received as usual. However, now all of the accounts that were disabled and set-up again are failing to update. Message received is "Update unsuccessful" and call summary message is "Microsoft Money could not update your account. Please try to update your account again." Also after updating, the accounts that were updated never displayed a password text box. I went through the disable and set-up process again and still no password text box on the upd...

Looking for Excel Help

New to excel

Excel button problem

Excel 97 #9