Excel not displaying German characters correctly.

This is a real puzzler. Has our entire office and IT
department stumped.

We have two machines (M1 / M2) which are equal spec/
operating system, applications, versions, etc...

The only difference that we can see between the two
machines is that one (M1) has Internet Explorer encoding
set to "UTF-8" with "Automatic" selected.
The other (M2) has "Western European ISO" with no automatic
selected.

Now, when the machines log into a web application and
choose to download a German Excel file, M1 and M2 get the
file correctly if they have their encoding settings as
above.

However, if M1 has it's encoding set to "Windows European
ISO" then all the characters which should have an umlaut
appear as an accented "y".

And if M2 has it's encoding set to "UTF-8" with "Automatic"
selected then all the characters which should have an
umlaut appear as an accented "y".  (00FD in unicode hex)

This is really bizarre behaviour, and the only reason we're
even looking into it is that our German customers are
having the same issue. Some machines in their office are
seeing a problem with umlaut characters, and some are not.

We don't think it's a codepage issue or anything like that,
because code page corruption would involve changes of a 1:1
mapping. But we're seeing a-umlaut and u-umlaut both being
transformed to the 00FD character.

We think the encoding setting has to be involved somehow,
since changing it and only it, influences the results.
But we don't see how it can possibly effect it on it's own.
There has to be something else. And it has to be something
that would also exist on our German customers machines.

(We use English regional settings by the way.)

Does anyone have any idea what the heck could be causing
this?
0
anonymous (74722)

SQL in Excel data
Hi all, Is there a possibility/way to run an SQL query in an excel data sheet? I have quite some data like the sample below, now i would like to have the sum of spending for each person. Like it is possible in Access. A1 B1 Field1 Field2 Chuck 12,89 Mike 23,09 Jean 9,34 Chuck 30,00 Mike 3,80 Chuck 22,00 Mike 7,23 Jean 10,55 Jean 10,75 Jean 31,45 Chuck 19,99 Result Field1 SumOfField2 Chuck 84,88 Jean 62,09 Mike 34,12 Advice would be appriciated. Cheers, Ludovic Hi You could use a formula like this ...

Excel 2003 extract repeating cells

excel spreadsheet
How do I delete columns from my spread sheet? When I right click the word "delete" isn't highlighted, so it doesn't work. Is the sheet protected or shared? -- Regards, RD ===================================================== Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit! ===================================================== "Ang" <Ang@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:418A7E09-1E8E-41E1-9988-82460B633629@microsoft.com... How do I delete columns from my spread sheet? When I right click the word "delete" is...

Check correction patch for Microsoft Windows
--jgfiyombh Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="kgqnlddpakhbjo"; type="multipart/alternative" --kgqnlddpakhbjo Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="pdizbrrdstws" --pdizbrrdstws Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable MS Consumer this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which resolves all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three new vulnerabilities. Install now to maintain the securit...

Forcing String Literal as Wide Character Unicode
Hello, I am under the impression that using _T("...") will convert my string literal to either a char or a wchar depending on what is defined, but I would like to force my string literal to be a Unicode String ( i.e wchar_t ) How would I do that? Would it be something like: wchar_t string[] = "hi"; something like that? Or is there a way to force my literal string to be unicode? "sleeper" <TheFakeJon@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1159489470.136737.259600@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > Hello, I am under the impression that using _T("...&q...

Excel 2000 macro security Level
Hi! I am running an ASP.NET application which ideally opens an Exce spreadsheet with a macro included in it. When I try opening spreadsheet without a macro, everything works fine, but with macros, i hangs on the opening command. I tried to go to Excel 2000 and go t Tools->Macros->Security Level->Low but it still hangs when I try t open the macro spreadsheet. All works fine with the spreadsheet no containing macros, so it really is a question of macro security. But put it to low, so I don't understand how it is still not opening!! An help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks and...

Running an Excel Macro from an Access Command Button
Hi , Can anyone help me with this, I am trying to run an excel macro from an access command button. I want the macro to Bold the Headings on a excel spreadsheet. The code runs without any errors but the macro doesnt seem to work, I think I have got the line ExcelApp.ExecuteExcel4Macro "RUN(""PERSONAL.XLS!BoldHead"")" wrong The code: Private Sub cmdRunMac_Click() Dim ExcelApp As Excel.Application Dim ExcelBook As Excel.Workbook Set ExcelApp = Excel.Application ExcelApp.Visible = True Set ExcelBook = ExcelApp.Workbooks.Open("C:\Documents and Settings\...

Formatting Cells in Excel 97

Backup Excel file

Excel devides every number by 100
Even when I open a brand new file. I input a number (ie 5) and get 0.05 back. I have tried doing everything in cell format etc.. anyone have an idea? it is very annoying and adding loads of work to my project. thanks "=?Utf-8?B?a2luZ3M=?=" <kings@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:48A39EFC-2D09-420F-B2DF-6EF5C0DB6109@microsoft.com: > Even when I open a brand new file. I input a number (ie 5) > and get 0.05 back. I have tried doing everything in cell > format etc.. anyone have an idea? it is very annoying and > adding loads of work to my project. > ...

Excel Histogram -- Incorrect Bins
I am using the Histogram tool in Excel 2004 for Mac -- I am finding that = Excel is shifting all my data one bin to the right. =20 For example, with data... 2,2,2,7,7,7 and bin range selected as 0,5,10 I am EXPECTING 3 items in bin 0 (between zero and five) and 3 items in = bin=20 5 (between five and ten). Excel is RETURNING a histogram with nothing in the zero bin, and 3 items = each in the 5 bin and the 10 bin. This is driving my bonkers! I can't find a solution...can somebody = please=20 help? Eric Anderson - > I am using the Histogram tool in Excel 2004 for Mac -- I am...

Combining Lists within excel.
I'm hoping someone can help here. I'll try to explain the problem I have. I have 2 worksheets both containing a product list. I have entries on one worksheet which I need on the other, so basically my question is... might there be a way of combining these two lists so one updates the other with the missing entries. Help on this would be great, as they are very large lists which I dont much fancy the thought of looking through them manually. Are you familiar with the VLOOKUP function? I use it all the time for this type of problem. vlookup(Product cell in first sheet, Array...

Import excel named range into Access error 3011
Hi, I've read a few posts on this topic, but none addresses my particular problem. I use Office 2003 on an XP SP3 machine. I am using transferspreadsheet to import a named range in an excel file into Access. This has worked beautifully until suddenly it stopped working. I find now that if I extract the address of the named range from within the Access VBA code, it looks like this: =#REF!$A$1:$Z$166 rather than this, which is what it should be: =Data!$A$1:$Z$166 When I open the spreadsheet and get the address of the named range in the immediate window, it also has the #REF error....

Excel AutoSave #2
In Excel 2000 was this feature available? User is not seeing it. Excel 2000 had the AUTOSAVE.XLA Add-in Should be in Tools>Add-ins. If not available there, do a file search on your computer. If not there, install from the CD. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Thu, 6 May 2004 13:26:16 -0700, "Ssolano" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >In Excel 2000 was this feature available? >User is not seeing it. ...

auto hide toolbar in Excel won't work
I have the toolbar at the bottom of the screen set to 'autohide' but when I'm in Excel sometimes it does 'hide' until the cursor is moved over it, but mostly it won't autohide so that I cannot see the Sheet names at the bottom of the screen. I am running Windows XP Home and Microsoft Office Professional 2003. Can anyone help please? -- teecee8 Hi Every time you move your cursor too far into the bottom area, the toolbar will pop up. Normally it disappears when you move your cursor up again. If it does not, try clicking on you spreadsheet. If you right click o...

'Incorrect username/password' error, even though both are correct!
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Power PC I've installed a G5 running Tiger on a network in our London offices, it's the first Mac I've put in there. It auto-configured its net connection, MSN and shared drives without me doing a thing - but Entourage hasn't been so simple. As with my own set up back at base I have configured Entourage to pick up mail from the server (Windows Server 2000) using POP but here it's not working (I've tried using Exchange too - without luck) I just keep getting an 'Incorrect username/password' error. ...

Excel comparative query
I'm respectfully requesting assistance with the correct formula to use for the following query: I'd searching all of column A on spreadsheet 1 to see if a value in column A of spreadsheet 2 is there, and placing a result X (or another) next to (adjacent cell) the confirmed value on spreadsheet 2. Please help if you can. Chris Hi Chris see your answer in puclic.excel -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Chris wrote: > I'm respectfully requesting assistance with the correct formula > to use for the following query: > > I'd searching all of column A on ...

Opening Excel from Access
Hello, Wasn't sure where to drop this question. I'm using Access 2003. After I dump a bunch of data to an Excel file, and save it off, I'd like to give the user the prompt to open the Excel file the app just created for them. I did a little digging, and found out that the FileDialog object does not support the Open file dialog type in MS Access, or as MSDN puts it: msoFileDialogOpen Not supported in Microsoft Access. So, anyone know of a workaround or a different approach to be able to prompt the user to open an Excel file from within Access? Thanks, Scott On Thu, 2 A...

In excel how do I delete an option button form already in worksht
Hi Va Run, Try: Activesheet.Shapes("Option Button 1").Delete Change the name of the control to accord with your situation. --- Regards, Norman "Va run" <Va run@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3F4F80A0-347F-4603-ABAB-25B635E96C84@microsoft.com... > ...

Displaying time from 00:00 to 0.00
I want to do the opposite to what I have seen on the forums and convert time back to decimals ( I work on aspreadsheet but it has been passworded so I can't crack it. :) I want to be able to write (van out) (Van back in)(Total Van time) 7.25 11.25 4.00 Can anyone help me please ( or a way to crack passwords):cool: -- North for Short ------------------------------------------------------------------------ North for Short's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=22695 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthrea...