Excel not detecting that a file is currently being edited

I am having a problem with Excel files located on our NetWare 6 server.
I am not sure if it is a NetWare issue or an Excel issue. If a user
opens an Excel file with the edit password and then a second user open
the same file, Excel does not detect that the file is already being
edited by another. It allows the second user to enter the edit password
and does not give the "locked for editing" dialog box. When either user
trys to save changes to the file, there is a sharing violation.

We are use both Excel 2000 and 2002 to edit the file. This problem has
just started in the last few weeks. We had no problems before then.
Office has been updated on all machines. Any help with this problem
would be greatly appreciated.

--
cds_tech
cds_tech's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24679

Try using the IsFileOpen code on open of the workbook.

"cds_tech" wrote:

> I am having a problem with Excel files located on our NetWare 6 server.
> I am not sure if it is a NetWare issue or an Excel issue. If a user
> opens an Excel file with the edit password and then a second user open
> the same file, Excel does not detect that the file is already being
> edited by another. It allows the second user to enter the edit password
> and does not give the "locked for editing" dialog box. When either user
> trys to save changes to the file, there is a sharing violation.
>
> We are use both Excel 2000 and 2002 to edit the file. This problem has
> just started in the last few weeks. We had no problems before then.
> Office has been updated on all machines. Any help with this problem
> would be greatly appreciated.
>

> --
> cds_tech
> cds_tech's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24679