Excel Newbie-Simple Question Regarding Numbers Formats

Trying to enter positive numbers (no decimal places)
into cells that start with the number zero.No luck.

Tried "Help"...couldn't figure it out (after 30 minutes).

Can somebody walk me through it? I'm using Excel 2000.

TIA!

The only way I know a number starting with zero (0) can be entered in
cell without losing the 0 is to put an apostrophe before entering th
number, e.g.

'012345

and this will register in the cell as 012345. But then, technically
this is not in a number format. This will be a text.

BTW, how can a number starting with 0 not have a decimal place in fron
of it? I am just wondering.

Frank Lodge wrote:
> *Trying to enter positive numbers (no decimal places)
> into cells that start with the number zero.No luck.
>
> Tried "Help"...couldn't figure it out (after 30 minutes).
>
> Can somebody walk me through it? I'm using Excel 2000.
>
> TIA!

I don't know if this'll work, but can you format the cell(s) a 'special
and then zip code. I know it will then keep the 0 in the eastern zi
codes

If the numbers won't be used for calculations, you can type an
apostrophe at the start of the number, e.g.  '0123
The apostrophe won't be visible in the cell.

Or, use a custom number format:
Select the cells
Choose Format>Cells
On the Number tab, select the Custom category
In the text box, type zeros for the number of digits that you need.
   For example, for 00034 in your cells, type  00000
    in the text box
Click OK

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)

Excel button problem

Excel 97 #9

Question -Problem

conditional formatting sort

Find and Replace Footnote Numbering
I often have documents where I need to put formatting before or after the footnote number for every footnote, often for hundreds of footnotes...anyone know how I can do this in one shot? I know I can specify ^f in find and replace, but only in the find portion...it gives an error if you put it in replace. ...

New to excel

Looking for Excel Help

Document Template question
It's legal for a document to have multiple views into it's data, but when CMultiDocTemplate is created, it is only passed one runtime view class. How are multiple views handled in the document template context? Should all views of your document be derived from the class passed to CMultiDocTemplate? This is confusing me because MDI AppWizard did the work of setting up a document view class for me, but now I'm just using a child window with an imbedded static splitter window to show two different views of my document, and these views have nothing to do with CMyProjectView that...

Pivot Table Question #5

learning Excel #3

random number generator
Hey is there a way to generate random numbers like you would for a draft. In other words, i have numbers 1 through 10 and generate a random order for those? Use the RAND() function. If 1-10 are in A1:A10, enter =RAND() in cell B1 and copy it down through B10. Recalc (F9), then sort by column B. Hope this helps, Hutch "pat67" wrote: > Hey is there a way to generate random numbers like you would for a > draft. In other words, i have numbers 1 through 10 and generate a > random order for those? > . > You would have to generate 10 random numbers ...

question on os authenticity
I purchased a laptop with Windows 2000 preinstalled from a dealer who claims to be a Microsoft Authorized Refurbisher. There was no COA attached to the body of the computer and he claims that he was not required to because he owns the license to it, not me. Is this correct? -- julesrh77 Good question but not for this community. You need to post your question in a Windows community. But, I think he's wrong and you should call Microsoft directly to ask them. You can find their phone number by going to www.microsoft.com. -- Charles Allen, MVP "julesrh77" wrote: > ...

number format with leading 0

Excel VBA

q Emailing Excel Sheet With Outlook