Excel-Multiple Cells Being Hi-lited

Sometimes when I'm setting up a worksheet and I left-click in a cell,
multiple cells in the same column are hi-lited.  After it happens the first
time, it continues as I move through the worksheet, reducing my ability to
get work done considerably.  After some trial and error, it seems to occur
when I've been adding and/or deleting columns and/or rows, after a header has
been installed.  I can move throughout the worksheet using the arrow keys,
but it is a time consuming and cumbersome technique.  I think the version I'm
using is Office Professional 2007 (file extension is xlsx).  Any help would
be appreciated.

Thanks,

Make sure you have not accidentally hit the F8 key - look for Extended
Selection in the status bar.
Seem to recall also some people had this type of problem with a certain
mouse with wheel.
best wishes
--
Bernard Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

--

"Lased & Confused" <Lased & Confused@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:D57ECEA3-D745-44B5-9318-4B0734E8F3CC@microsoft.com...
> Sometimes when I'm setting up a worksheet and I left-click in a cell,
> multiple cells in the same column are hi-lited.  After it happens the
> first
> time, it continues as I move through the worksheet, reducing my ability to
> get work done considerably.  After some trial and error, it seems to occur
> when I've been adding and/or deleting columns and/or rows, after a header
> has
> been installed.  I can move throughout the worksheet using the arrow keys,
> but it is a time consuming and cumbersome technique.  I think the version
> I'm
> using is Office Professional 2007 (file extension is xlsx).  Any help
> would
> be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,

0
Bernard
1/6/2010 5:25:16 PM
hi
this appears to be a bug in 2007. there have been a number of posts on this
issue and it seems that adjusting the zoom usually helps.

see this previous post.
http://tinyurl.com/3wofsf

regards
FSt1

"Lased & Confused" wrote:

> Sometimes when I'm setting up a worksheet and I left-click in a cell,
> multiple cells in the same column are hi-lited.  After it happens the first
> time, it continues as I move through the worksheet, reducing my ability to
> get work done considerably.  After some trial and error, it seems to occur
> when I've been adding and/or deleting columns and/or rows, after a header has
> been installed.  I can move throughout the worksheet using the arrow keys,
> but it is a time consuming and cumbersome technique.  I think the version I'm
> using is Office Professional 2007 (file extension is xlsx).  Any help would
> be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,

Linking cells #4
I'm trying to set up a worksheet where I can type something into one cell, and the information automatically shows up in another cell that I designate. I tried using functions, but I get different results. Basically, I want the designated cell to be blank until something is entered in the source cell. I was able link the cells by using "=" and "+" and setting the cell format to "General". However, I get a "0" in the designated cell when nothing is entered in the source cell. Is there a better way? Thanks in advance! -- careyc -------------------...

Multiple criteria for countif()
Is there some method to use countif for multiple criteria instead of adding several single-criteria countif's together? --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Knight, We generally use SUMPRODUCT to count rows meeting conditions. =SUMPRODUCT((A2:A7=5)*(B2:B7="Good")) =SUMPRODUCT((A2:A7=5)*(B2:B7="Good")*(C2:C7=1)) -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "theillknight >" <<theillknight.1askww@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:theillknight.1askww@excelforum...

Outlook 2007 multiple signatures alternative?
I'm testing Outlook 2007 on one of my work computers, and after some searching discovered that -- unlike in Outlook 2003 -- you cannot attach multiple signatures to the same message. We use multiple signatures for relaying frequent messages to our users in replies, like our address, populat links on our intranet, directions for using a distribution list, attaching a public mailbox to their Outlook, etc. -- basically they're used to store text we can easily retreive and paste into the message. Is there an alternative in Outlook 2007 we can use instead of signatures? Thanks. Ma...

excel crashes upon opeping.....
hello, I am getting the following error messages when when excel and office crash. (everyday) what does this mesage mean I don’t know how to do this. if you have just installed a new version of Mac OS X and you used the Archive & Install option, the preferences files have been archived to the Previous Systems folder on your hard disk. To restore these files, move them from the Library/Preferences folder of your Previous Systems folder to your current Library/Preferences folder. How do i know which is the previous and which is the new? If you don't get an answ...

Excel 2003 Filter Problem
I recently upgraded to Excel 2003 and am having a problem with filtering. Occasionally (and I don't know what I'm doing that causes it!) when I apply a filter, it "freezes" the worksheet and I'm unable to filter on other columns or even to remove the filter. I'd appreciate any help or ideas! Have you been screwing around cleaning up workbook/worksheet names? Do you see the arrows, but when you click on them, they don't do anything? If yes, maybe this will fix the problem. Select your cells with the arrows -- just the header row is enough. Then Insert|nam...

Excel help #8
Hi Please can someone help with this Excel error type message, using Windows 7 & Office 2000. Many thanks in advance. Regards, Problem Event Name: APPCRASH Application Name: EXCEL.EXE Application Version: 9.0.0.2719 Application Timestamp: 36f43422 Fault Module Name: EXCEL.EXE Fault Module Version: 9.0.0.2719 Fault Module Timestamp: 36f43422 Exception Code: c0000005 Exception Offset: 0004e154 OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48 Locale ID: 2057 Additional Information 1: 9816 Additional Information 2: 981626252e0734cfbb061d9ef2627bd4 Additional Information 3: 35...

Compare records in multiple sheet -> report
Hi! I have a workbook consisting of ten sheets. To simplify my question let�s say that the three first columns of every sheet denotes the spatial coordinates x,y,z and the fourth column is a scalar value. Some x,y,z-triplets exist in all 10 sheets, some exists in only a few sheets, if the triplet exists, then also the scalar value of the 4th column exists. What I would like to do is to find all unique x,y,z-triplets and show them in the first column of a new sheet. In columns 2-11, I would like to show the scalar value(from the corresponding x,y,z-triplet of course) in column 4 in s...

Testing Cells
I am trying to test and count non-contiguous cells in form our HR department made. There are to be numerical values entered in these cells, but not every cell. I figured I could use CountIf, but I'm a little rusty on Excel. Something like: =CountIf([Referenced Cells], AND(>0, ,6)) but I keep getting an error. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Paul I probably wasn't clear, I want to return a count of the number of cells that meet that criteria. "Paul" <Paul_News@comcast.net> wrote in message news:9114C22A-E18B-4FCA-A042-88BC607F7D0B@microsoft.com......

Excel VBA: need a command to free the memory allocated to Excel
Hi, I would like to know if their is any command in VBA which can fre memory used by excel? reply if any questions! Holysou -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com you can free memory used by VBA references to Excel objects by setting them to nothing, but you cannot free memory used by excel itself except by deleting things such as worksheets. Charles ______________________ Decision Models FastExcel Version 2 now available. www.DecisionModels.com/FxlV2WhatsNew.htm "holysoul >" <<holysoul.163d0e@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:holysoul.163d0e@...

Where can I find help to make a crossword with Excel?
Re: Where can I find help to make a crossword with Excel? Try: http://www.microsoft.com/education/Crossword.aspx -- Rgds Max xl 97 --- GMT+8, 1� 22' N 103� 45' E xdemechanik <at>yahoo<dot>com ---- "Pedrov" <Pedrov@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:98AA6C62-8DD6-4BDE-87DA-ECBF4F4AC065@microsoft.com... > ...

Multiple months in calendar view?
Is there anyway in OL 2003 to view four months at one time in order to facilitate some long-range planning? Or is there some other way to do long rang planning with OL? Thanks. Not with Outlook itself, but there is a 3rd party addin called Outlook Year View that can do this -- see http://www.planetsoftware.com.au/products/yearview.aspx. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** "byhamr@cmalliance.org" wrote: > Is there anyway in OL 2003 to view f...

Excel graph column and two lines. Help
I need to create a combo chart with three data points, One as acolumn and two lines Waynes, First, create a simple line chart containing all three series that you want to plot. After the line chart has been created, click once on the series (line) that you would like to change to a column. To change the series to a column, go to the standard toolbar and select Chart -> Chart Type -> Column -> OK. ---- Regards, John Mansfield http://www.pdbook.com "Waynes" wrote: > I need to create a combo chart with three data points, One as acolumn and two > lines ...

excel repair, remove records from xml part
morning all. I've been experiencing what strikes me as a problem since we bought office 2007, just over two years ago now, and now a colleague just experienced the same problem. Occasionally we'll receive an error message stating that some equation, or record, etc... was damaged and needed to be removed from the record. The worksheet/book gets repaired, and we must save the repair. Typically it's at least two worksheets in the "xml.part" of the file. "sheetA", and "calcChain." For me, I just go into the developer tab, open the VBE, locate the a...

Formula/Macro to tally up numbers in Excel
I have a list of numbers in a column, e.g. :- 1 4 6 1 35 14 15 15 2 1 6 6 1 19 15 5 and want the computer to work out for me, how many times number x has turned up in column B? I presume this is possible with a function/macro within excel fairly easily? Any advice/pointers in the right direction would be appreciated. Please prefably reply in the newsgroup, or via email to "newshelp@the-core.freeserve.co.uk.DELETE", removing the .DELETE from the end of my address. Thanks, Mark Pyne Hi Have a look at COUNTIF() and try something like: =COUNTIF(B:B,1) to count how many 1s there ...

Selection change code with merged cells
Happy new year everyone. I have an issue with the code below and wondered if there was a way to get round the problem. The issue is that R11:S11 and R12:S12 are merged cells. With single cells, the code toggles between a tick (Wingdings character 252) and blank when each cell is selected. With merged cells nothing happens. Is there a way to enable the code when the cells are merged? Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range) '----- ENABLE TICKS IN RELEVANT BOXES ----- Application.EnableEvents = False On Error GoTo sub_exit With Worksheet...

Excel dates
My versions of Excel (2002 and 2003) should that 2/29/1900 exists. However, 1900 was NOT a leap year. Is this a bug? The story is that it was a bug in one of the early versions of Lotus 123. When excel was developed, they decided to have the same bug. My guess is that would make it easier to convert from Lotus 123 to Excel. I would think that if MS didn't duplicate this error, then there would be some people who wouldn't convert. Earl Takasaki wrote: > > My versions of Excel (2002 and 2003) should that 2/29/1900 exists. > However, 1900 was NOT a leap year. Is this ...

Excel 2003 help doesn't work. I got both Excel 2003 and 2007 insta
I have both Excel 2003 and Excel 2007 installed. The Excel 2003 help doesn't work, but the Excel 2007 help works fine. When trying to open help in Excel 2003, the help window open, but it's all grey. ...

Sum if with multiple ranges
Here is what my spreadsheet looks like. These are are grouped by weeks, so each person will have multiple entries down column A. A B John 1/14 16 1/15 15 Jane 1/14 16 1/15 12 Joe 1/14 10 1/15 13 I'm looking for a formula to add say all of Johns values based on a certain date. I've tried sumif but it will not let me use multiple ranges. On Jan 20, 10:54=A0am, TB@work <TBw...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Here is what my spreadsheet =A0looks like. =A0These are are grouped by we= eks, so &...

Creating a Graph from a Drop Down List in Excel
I wanted to know if it was possible to create a type of dynamic graph from a drop down list in Excel. What I mean is that I would have one graph that changed dynamically based upon the selected item in the drop down box. -- Craig sure -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett@gmail.com "cb" <cb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BD059825-760E-4E12-82D7-E9B7B296C2BB@microsoft.com... >I wanted to know if it was possible to create a type of dynamic graph from >a > drop down list in Excel. What I mean is that I w...

Next Referenced Cell
I am trying to get a generalised next referenced cell in a column o numbers in a worksheet and I am stumped. For example A1 62 A2 23 A3 44 A4 56 A5 45 A6 44 A7 12 B6 =(A3) C6 =(A1) D =(A6) B7 =Value of C7 =Value of D7 = Valu of Next Next Next Referenced Referenced Referenced Cell Down Cell Down Cel Down 56 in this case 23 in this case 12 (A4) (A2) ...

Conditional cell values
Does anyone know if it is possible to make the input conditions of cell dependent on the value/formula of/in another cell WITHOUT usin excel? something like the example: if (cell_a = pre_defined_value_a OR some_condition/formula_is_true/false) then (cell_b pre_defined_value_b OR some_condition/formula) otherwise (user_can_enter_a_value OR user_can_choose_from_drop_down_list) Thanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Removing Carriage Return characyers from a cell
Hi All, I have a spreadsheet that is full of info exported from a crm. One of my cells has characters indicating a carriage return. The character appears as two double bold bars in the row. If I have the cell open, then the character appears as a small box. I am unable to use the find/replace feature for this. This character just appears as a space when I paste it in find. I wante to delete these characters, thus deleting the carriage return. I can do it manually on a per cell basis - but I am working on a 10,000 row spreadsheet, and that is just not gonna happen! Thanks in advan...

Excel 2003/XP Pro conflicts? Sticky pointer & lock out
When using Excel 2003 and XP Pro I have trouble with my pointer sticking to cells and locking me out of excel. Hi try hittig F8 -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Mills" <Mills@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:0971030F-2482-407F-BE8D-685735790311@microsoft.com... > When using Excel 2003 and XP Pro I have trouble with my pointer sticking to > cells and locking me out of excel. ...

moving cells
I have a roster with 30 names on a fixed schedule for 15 weeks i want to move the names through the schedule. Thanks Hi Paul, I would try an Excel web search on your Google toolbar or at http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en for excel rotation OR rota schedule OR timesheets and a Google Groups search on a dropdown on your Google toolbar or at http://groups.google.com/grphp?hl=en&tab=wg&q= rotation OR rota schedule OR timesheets group:*excel* to get you started then ask specific questions if that does not provide enough information. --- HTH, D...

Conditional formatting using part of the cells contents
Hi, i'm doing some MPG calculations at the moment and using a formula from a seperate worksheet which then displays on the first worksheet (="You average "&Round(&Sheet2!A4,2)&" MPG") and i want to format that cell (that displays the "Your Average is xx.xx MPG) so that if, for example, my average MPG is <=10 then the whole cell is red, >10 <30 Yellow and >30 Green i hope this makes sense... Cheers for your help Hi, use conditional formating, where the formula is, in the first option enter =A2<=10 choose green 2nd ...