Excel menus are locked when opening an XLS file using IE

A financial website (www.investors.com) is publishing
daily an Excel spreadsheet.

When I click on the link, Internet Explorer asks me
whether I want to save the file or open the file.

When I choose "Open" the Excel file shows up nicely in my
browser ... the IE menus change to Excel menus.

Problem: I can only use the File menu choices;  the other
menus are LOCKED.

Why?  I'm using Office XP on Windows 2000 Professional.

At work I'm using Office 2002 and things work fine.

Is this an Office XP issue, or is ther somewhere a setting
that I have to teak?

Any help is much appreciated!

Thnaks,

---Hugo
0
hdegroot (1)

Hugo

Maybe what you effectively trying to do is edit their information on their
website!! If you can access the File menu, go for Save As . . . and save it
on your PC.

Andy.

"Hugo de groot" <hdegroot@usa.net> wrote in message
> A financial website (www.investors.com) is publishing
> daily an Excel spreadsheet.
>
> When I click on the link, Internet Explorer asks me
> whether I want to save the file or open the file.
>
> When I choose "Open" the Excel file shows up nicely in my
> browser ... the IE menus change to Excel menus.
>
> Problem: I can only use the File menu choices;  the other
> menus are LOCKED.
>
> Why?  I'm using Office XP on Windows 2000 Professional.
>
> At work I'm using Office 2002 and things work fine.
>
> Is this an Office XP issue, or is ther somewhere a setting
> that I have to teak?
>
> Any help is much appreciated!
>
> Thnaks,
>
> ---Hugo

0
andy2763 (218)
10/21/2003 7:52:54 AM
The only other option I can suggest is that you right-click on the link and
select 'Save target as . . ' and save the file to your desktop.

Andy.

> No, on my PC at work it works, on my personal laptop it
> doesn't work.
>
> The only difference I see is Office XP on my laptop, and
> Office 2000 at work.
>
> Any other suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
>
> ---Hugo

0
andy2763 (218)

circular files; iterating to a "correct" solution
I am working with a circular file. I have been making changes to the file, and I have noticed at times when i manually calculate that the file iterates to an obviously "incorrect" solution. No amount of changing the max no of iterations or the max change seems to fix the problem. It iterates to the same "incorrect" solution every time. It is like it is stuck in a rut and can't get out. I have also noticed that, if I manually calculate each worksheet separately (that is, hit shift - f9 simulaneously on each worksheet individually, from left to right) all the ...

find action on log file

File size #11

Looking for Excel Help

New to excel