Excel macro to insert rows if a cell does not equal the value above that cell

I have a spreadsheet listing columns of information for many different
people.  If more than one row exists for the same person, I'd like to
insert 2 rows after the row so that the group is separated from the
next group.  For example, here's how the data appears now:

LastName    Account#    Balance
Martin         1         500.00
Martin         2         750.00
Smith          5         100.00
Thomas         9         900.00

Here's what I'd like it to look like after running the macro:

LastName    Account#    Balance
Martin         1         500.00
Martin         2         750.00

Smith          5         100.00

Thomas         9         900.00

Any thoughts?

Thanks a bunch for the help!

If you want to SEE extra space (rather than actually HAVE
2 blank rows), then changing the row heights for Smith and
Thomas would do the trick, and this can be done easily
with formulas. In an unused column, say in G3, enter:
=IF(G2<>G3,1,true) and fill down as far as necessary.
Then select column G, use Edit/Goto Special, select
Formulas and DESelect text,logical,and Errors (leaving
only numbers), then click OK. Now, all the 1's are
selected. With this selection, go to Format/Row/Height,
and change the height to 30, then clear (or hide) column G.

0
anonymous (74722)
8/12/2004 3:07:39 PM
JSD,

In the macro below, change the myCol = 3 to the column number that you want
to base the insertion on. A=1 , B=2, etc.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

Sub TryNow()
Dim myRow As Long
Dim myCount As Long
Dim myCol As Integer

myCol = 3
myCount = ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Rows.Count

For myRow = myCount - 1 To 1 Step -1
If Cells(myRow, myCol).Value <> Cells(myRow + 1, myCol).Value Then
Range(Cells(myRow + 1, myCol), Cells(myRow + 2, myCol)).EntireRow.Insert
End If
Next myRow
End Sub

"JSD" <jasondugdale@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I have a spreadsheet listing columns of information for many different
> people.  If more than one row exists for the same person, I'd like to
> insert 2 rows after the row so that the group is separated from the
> next group.  For example, here's how the data appears now:
>
> LastName    Account#    Balance
> Martin         1         500.00
> Martin         2         750.00
> Smith          5         100.00
> Thomas         9         900.00
>
> Here's what I'd like it to look like after running the macro:
>
> LastName    Account#    Balance
> Martin         1         500.00
> Martin         2         750.00
>

> Smith          5         100.00
>

> Thomas         9         900.00
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks a bunch for the help!

0
Bernie
8/12/2004 3:09:11 PM
I'd just like to add that this solution is the one I prefer. Adding blank rows
can create all sorts of headaches with formulas, etc.

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 08:07:39 -0700, "Bob Umlas Excel MVP"

>If you want to SEE extra space (rather than actually HAVE
>2 blank rows), then changing the row heights for Smith and
>Thomas would do the trick, and this can be done easily
>with formulas. In an unused column, say in G3, enter:
>=IF(G2<>G3,1,true) and fill down as far as necessary.
>Then select column G, use Edit/Goto Special, select
>Formulas and DESelect text,logical,and Errors (leaving
>only numbers), then click OK. Now, all the 1's are
>selected. With this selection, go to Format/Row/Height,
>and change the height to 30, then clear (or hide) column G.

0
anonymous (74722)

Looking for Excel Help

New to excel

Excel button problem

Excel 97 #9

hide a row
I have a worksheet with information in column A and B. If Column B has no information I want to do nothing, but if there is something in Column B, I would like to hide the row. Is this possable in an if statement? Hi not possible with a formula. This would require VBA -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Bob" <bobolah@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:OSOK8hisEHA.2556@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > I have a worksheet with information in column A and B. > > If Column B has no information I want to do nothing, but if there is > something in Column B, ...

Auto transfer of row
I have a list of components to be ordered in each row is a cell with order number entered in it. What I want is to copy the row to anothe sheet (which is to be displayed at goods) when the order number i entered in that cell. Is this possible? many thanks for any help -- alanle ----------------------------------------------------------------------- alanled's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3094 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=57297 this could be acheived by using VLOOKUP function. if you want a perfect soluti...

'top' is not a valid value for the 'vertical-align' property.
Well, it is, actually, and the resulting .chm file works properly in HTML Help. But it's a bit tedious getting that wrong useless error message from VS2002 on every build. (Well, not every build, it only does it sometimes actually.) Any idea how I can persuade it to stop telling me this? -- Tim Ward Brett Ward Limited - www.brettward.co.uk ...

default values in a cell

learning Excel #3

I need a macro

q Emailing Excel Sheet With Outlook