Excel loads slow

We just recently upgraded to XP SP2 with Office XP SP3.  Before, on 2000, our
users did not have a problem opening files from a certain directory.  Now,
while in Excel, the click the open folder and it takes 30-45 seconds for them
to navigate to each folder in the directory.  Any thoughts as to why XP is
slower when drilling down through the folders?  Thanks.
0
Shane (53)

Right-click on the My Computer icon on the Windows desktop,
left-click on Disconnect Network Drive, and disconnect any mapped
drives that are not currently available.

Shane wrote:

> We just recently upgraded to XP SP2 with Office XP SP3.  Before, on 2000, our
> users did not have a problem opening files from a certain directory.  Now,
> while in Excel, the click the open folder and it takes 30-45 seconds for them
> to navigate to each folder in the directory.  Any thoughts as to why XP is
> slower when drilling down through the folders?  Thanks.

Excel, Word
I have a windows XP computer that when I open word or excel the program does not even begin to open for about 30 seconds. At one point I saw that it was executing DDE Commands???? ...

Excel Memory Saving Issues
Whenever updating one of our budget files (which is attached to consolidation files), it will ask me if I want to "save changes"? (yes or no) I will click on yes and a box says "not enought memory (with a box to click okay)" It will then say unable to save external link values and it appears to be going ahead and saving the file. Is there anyway to have enough memory? Should I be concerned with data integrity? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Hi Robert, If you are trying to save to a removable medium and Excel won't let you then consider your...

return value from access into excel based on criteria or content
I have two unique challenges that I need help figuring out: 1. I have an access database of names Example: Name: Van Gogh, Vincent I have an excel sheet that has Name but may have incorrect spelling or variances. Example: Name: VanGogh, Vincent Vincent Van Gogh Van Go Vincent (etc) I would like to find a way to pull in the correct value for name and title from access into excel based on exact match, close match or keyword. 2. I would also like to do the same for name and title combination. Example- access database has Name and Title Name: Van Gogh Title: Starry Night the excel sheet...

In Excel how do i automatically replace a number with a phrase if.
I need to set my spread sheet so if a specific number in a colum appears it is replaced with a a warning in words Hi not exactly what you're looking for but why not use 'Format - Conditional Format' to highlighzt such cells "Adamb" wrote: > I need to set my spread sheet so if a specific number in a colum appears it > is replaced with a a warning in words I'd use an adjacent cell: =if(b1=12345,"Hey, it's a neat number,"") format it bold/red and it'll get the user's attention right away. (If it's different from 12345, the c...

Trimming letters in an Excel field
I have email addresses that contains the first name, I need to trim up to the character "@" in each and retrieve each name in a separate column. Please help -- Lady_Dee Hi =TRIM(LEFT(B12,FIND("@",B12)-1)) change range to fit your needs "Lady_Dee" wrote: > I have email addresses that contains the first name, I need to trim up to the > character "@" in each and retrieve each name in a separate column. Please > help > -- > Lady_Dee Data/Text to columns Delimited/ @ -- David Biddulph "Lady_Dee"...

minimizing Excel application
Normally there is a group of three boxes in the upper right corner that allow one to "minimize", "maximize", and close the application. Last night when I had unrelated problems, something changed. Now they do not show. What did I change? Windsurfer I suspect the something you did that was un-related was related, unless you had not noticed they were missing before. Try right-clicking on any toolbar, select 'customize' and then on the toolbar tab, select worksheet menu bar and click reset (You will lose any changes made to it) -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft M...

How do I copy excel macros from one pc to another?
I have written macros in excel for which I use regularly. I want to copy them to a new PC however I am unable to do so. How do I get them from one pc to another? Unable, how are you unable? You can copy over the files that hold the macros and they will be copied as well, you can export the macros as text file (*.bas) and import them (alt + f11, right click the modules and select export module or file>export, to import do file>import to import) Regards, Peo Sjoblom "KenK" wrote: > I have written macros in excel for which I use regularly. I want to copy > the...

Time in Excel
I have a legacy spreadsheet that deals with times. We have values like min:sec and use 12:00:00 AM in the cell for 00:00 To input a time, I need to edit the cell. Is there a way to go to a cell and type "656" and get 06:56? Also, I'd like a way to average several cells containing times as above. What function would I use for that? -- John Oliver, CCNA http://www.john-oliver.net/ Linux/UNIX/network consulting http://www.john-oliver.net/resume/ *** sendmail, Apache, ftp, DNS, spam filtering *** **** Coloc...

excel worksheets getting deleted in shared files on P4
Hi all I am using a workbook of 3 Mb on a network where I am using Excel 9 and MS Windows. File contains 32 worksheets for a month. Network trafic is more but th comp has 512 MB ram and uses some oracle app also. The files are sometimes shared and contains some 3d as well as arra formulas. The worksheets are getting deleted automatically when we are trying t save the file. What can be the possible reasons. Why do sheets ge deleted????? Thanx in advance Keda -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Attach File very Slow in Outlook
Dear , One of our users is using Outlook 2000. When he tries to attach file from a network drive which has 12,000 files with 441 mb, his PC will be frozen. It may take him more than 10 minutes to display the folder. The files on the network drive are all jpg files. Thanks in advance! -- Best Regards, Rebecca Lip What happens if he tries to attach a comparably sized file from his local drive? How quickly does it attach? If it's significantly quicker, then it's probably not an issue with Outlook, but more with network latency. You may need to do some network diagnostics ...

Printing Excel Charts Pasted into Powerpoint
Often, our chart dates end up as blacked out areas on our HP Color LaserJet 5550dtn printer (not on our HP 1200 LaserJet). Any solution other than resizing fonts in Excel and pasting again? ...

Excel-colume with size
hi all..i'm a new user off Microsoft Excel,i have a question abt Excel here.what format did Microsofe Excel using for the colum measurement?"cm"?"mm"?"point"?or else? can the format be change? if can,how to change it? In all WinXL and most MacXL versions, the units are the number of numeric characters of the standard font that will fit in the cell. The standard font is set in Tools/Options/Preferences. With MacXL 2004, by default you set the width directly in inches or centimeters. You can also set the width as the number of numeric characters. In ...

Backing up Excel file
Hello all, Is there another way to back up an Excel file, besides the AutoRecover settings in Options and the Always Create Backup feature in the General Options of Save As? What I am looking to do is to create a backup copy automatically in a directory that I want (other than the directory where the original is). Thanks. Use windows explorer and just copy|paste? AccessHelp wrote: > > Hello all, > > Is there another way to back up an Excel file, besides the AutoRecover > settings in Options and the Always Create Backup feature in the General > Options of Save As? &g...

Outlook 2003 Personal Folders: Does encryption slow access to mail?
Hi, I have a 2Gb .pst file that I have built up over several years. (Never have deleted good mail or autoarchived anything). This .pst file is of course a 97-2002 version .pst file. I have reached the file size limit for this. I an error message coming up that I need to switch to the new kind of .pst file. When creating a new file there is the option for "compressible encryption" or "high encryption". With a large mail box (2Gb) would using either encryption method this significantly slow down Outlook functions such as searches through contacts and mail folders. Would one ...

XY Labeler and Excel 2007
I'm hooked on the XY labeler add-in http://www.appspro.com/Utilities/ChartLabeler.htm, and have recently upgraded to 2007... BUT now I can't figure out how to get to the add-in. I've loaded it (under the microsoft office button) but don't see it in the ribbon under add-ins or in any of the chart options... What am I missing?! Hi, Did you download the latest version. It works fine on my machine, its on the Add-ins ribbon. Is it showing in the Add-in area under Active Application Add-ins in the Excel Options dialog box? Cheers, Shane Devenshire "Megan" wr...

Excel 2007: Conditional Formatting and Ribbon Data
I have several cells have conditional formatting equations which refer to a date value in cell H1 (for example). I want to be able to move the value stored on this cell to a control on a Ribbon. 1) Is it possible to put a Date Picker control on a Ribbon? 2) Is it possible to refer to the value of this or any other control on a Ribbon from a Conditional Formatting equation? Thanks! JJ ...

Can I stretch an Excel document vertically when printing?
I want to print a document in Excel. I have shrunk it to one page wide but now it is too flat. I want to stretch it so it fills the whole page. Is this possible cause I can't seem to find a setting? Maybe you should change the page layout to landscape and see what that looks like. Regards Trevor "jstratman33" <jstratman33@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E23E8AF4-1D1D-4558-9FD7-5A8F556C785F@microsoft.com... >I want to print a document in Excel. I have shrunk it to one page wide but > now it is too flat. I want to stretch it so it fills the who...

Excel: Conditional Formatting
Dear sir, I found out it is very difficult to use the Conditional Formatting when I meet the case as following: Cell B2 contains a time:8:0AM and Cell B3 contains another time:10:00AM. My question is that in cell C1 which contains NOW() which is 9:00AM, and I want the cell C1 become red color when the time in C1 fall between B2 and B3. I found out that the Conditional Formatting has no such function at all. Can you advice? Many thanks, Wilchong -- Message posted via OfficeKB.com http://www.officekb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/excel-new/200902/1 Since NOW() returns *both* the DATE and TIME it...

Wrap text problem in Excel 2003
I am having probems with wrap text. The last line, in a ten line entry, won't wrap. Is there anything I can do about this as it is happening on at least five cells Many thanks James Have you tried to manually place the "carriage return" by editing the cell (F2), moving to the appropriate spot and simaltaneously hitting the Alt-Enter keys? or is manual entry not an option in this instance? "jamesp@premiercs.co.uk" wrote: > I am having probems with wrap text. The last line, in a ten line entry, > won't wrap. Is there anything I can do about this ...

How do I create a mailing list with current data in Excel?
I have a list of names, addresses and I would like to make it a list that can be used in a mail merge. Is this possible and how? http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/mailmerg.htm -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please) "Amanda" <Amanda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:095EF751-B349-4C6C-BA5B-9D91ADF7DA9E@microsoft.com... >I have a list of names, addresses and I would like to make it a list that >can > be used in a mail merge. Is this possible and how? ...

EXCEL SPREADSHEETS #3
TRYING TO SET UP SPREETSHEET TO MONITOR CASHIERS OVER SHORT Let us know what you have tried and what parts you are stuck on and we can then give you some specific help. -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission :-) ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- "LADY" <LADY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6...

How to add %'s to chart columns in excel??
On Excel 2003, how do you include %'s as well as values in chart columns. The % option in Data Series is recessed. Calculate the percentage values in the worksheet, then use one of these fine utilities to add them to the columns as data labels: Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler, http://appspro.com John Walkenbach's Chart Tools, http://j-walk.com - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "John Stewart" <John Stewart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messag...

Always show the content of a specific cell in the frame of Excel
Is it possible always to show the content of a specific cell in the frame of Excel (so you always can see it). Then it is possible always, for examble, to see the sum of some cells, when you are filling the underlying cells with numbers. In QuattroPro ver. 8.0 this was possible. In Danish this cell was called "Lyncelle" - perhaps "Quick-cell" in English. Best wishes Niels Danstrup Excel 2002 and 2003 have a Watch Window toolbar that displays the value of one or more cells. That may be what you want. -- Jim "Niels Danstrup" <NielsDanstrup@discussions...

Generating Excel XML with embedded char(10)s
I have a script that generates an Excel file in XML. Everything is working wonderfully except for one column where I want to embed line feeds in the cells. It appears that the characters are there because when I view the XML file in a text editor, the contents of those cells are on separate lines but when I view the file in Excel, the line feed character seems to be replaced with a single space. So, for instance, I have: <Row> <Cell ss:StyleID="Default"><Data ss:Type="String">ABC Corp</Data></ Cell> <Cell ss:StyleID="Default">...

Excel formula problem =IF(0<B7<20;1;0)
Need excel to return the value 1 if the value in field B7 is larger tha 0 and smaller than 20. =IF(B7<20;1;0) kinda works except that if B7 is empty 1 is returned I then tried to indicate the range from 0 to 20, by doing this: =IF(0<B7<20;1;0) this results in excel returning 0 no matter what write in field B7 What am I doing wrong? Flemmin -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi try =IF(AND(B7>0,B7<20);1;0) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany > Need excel to return the value 1 if the value in field B7 is larger > than 0 and smaller than 20. ...