Excel: keeping rows together when ordering order of left column

in my spreadsheet I want to order the left hand column (in ascending numbers)
but when I do I want the rows to move with cells too, keeping the items of
data in the rows with the original items of data in the left hand cells when
they move place

Select the data say A1:J10 and then from menu Data>Sort>

--If your data has headers then select 'My data range has' headers ..
--Select 'Sortby'..and hit OK

--
Jacob

"Tangojon" wrote:

> in my spreadsheet I want to order the left hand column (in ascending numbers)
> but when I do I want the rows to move with cells too, keeping the items of
> data in the rows with the original items of data in the left hand cells when
> they move place

Date Month comparison in Excel
Hi, If I have Feb or February in cell A1 and Mar or March in A2, or any tw months or dates at 2 different cells, how can I compare that Februar 2004 comes before March 2004 and February 2005 comes after March 2004 -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi if you have real dates in both cells simply use =IF(A1>A2,"A1 is after A2","A1 is not after A2") >-----Original Message----- >Hi, > >If I have Feb or February in cell A1 and Mar or March in A2, or any two >months or dates at 2 different cells, how can I compare that February >2004 come...

help in bar charts in excel
I have two categories of income to report, every month from Marchl to December. There are three programs to report this two seperate incomes. We want a stacked bar for each program. How do I make these seperate charts sit on each other Each month I'd have three bars each reporting two figures. Thanks. You can do it by proper arrangement of the data: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ClusterStack.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "AK Franchesca" <...

excel vba
When I open my vba project, a window pops up asking me if I want to lin the workbooks, or just continue and don't link them. I don't want t link them, how do I stop this screen from coming up -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com You should always mention your Excel version. In Excel 2002 and 2003 use Startup Prompt feature in the Edit, Links dialog. The only other way to suppress the dialog is by opening the file with a macro which is probably not worth the bother. -- Jim Rech Excel MVP "chief >" <<chief.1657li@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote i...

Purchase order numbers not defaulting correctly
My users are complaining that purchase order numbers are not defaulting correctly and they have to manually overwrite it. For example: Our purchase orders should be in the 10000 series but they keep going back to 7000 series. What are the different conditions under which default purchase order numbers resets itself? What is the way around this? This is Great Plains 9. Dear KT, if you moved the old purchase orders to history then at the time of purchase order creation it will bring the old ponumbers this may be the one of the reasons it is going back to old numbers. Sharat Mittakola ...

Automatically open Excel file set to "Enable Macros"
Is there any way in Excel 2003 to set a spreadsheet to automatically open enabling macros, so the user doesn't get that annoying dialog box? -- Lisa M Lisa M wrote... >Is there any way in Excel 2003 to set a spreadsheet to automatically open >enabling macros, so the user doesn't get that annoying dialog box? If there were, don't you think macro virus writers would take advantage of it? Your users could set macro security to Low, but that's a bad idea. Or you could digitally sign the VBA projects in the workbooks you produce, then configure each of your users' PCs...

How to create chart with columns and 2 lines?
Excel will let me create a combination chart with two sets of columns and one line. I'd like one set of columns and two lines. Can I get it to convert the second data series from columns to line points? Hi, Just create a standard line chart and the select the series you want to plot as columns. Right click and choose Chart Types. Select the required line chart. Cheers Andy Robert wrote: > Excel will let me create a combination chart with two sets of columns and one > line. I'd like one set of columns and two lines. Can I get it to convert > the second data seri...

Automatic expanding formula bar in Excel 2007?
Hey guys Im using Excel 2007 In top of screen the active cell content is shown in a formula bar This bar is to expand by drag and drop if necessary. In Excel 2003 this bar was automaticly expanded when formulas/text was too long to show in one row. Are there any setting in Excel 2007 to make a automatic expanding as in Excel 2003? Best Regards Snoopy I don't think so, because it is a different concept, the formula bar now pushes the other windows down so that the formula cannot overlap your spreadsheet. -- HTH Bob "Snoopy" <blaksnm@jjuc.no> w...

how to change default comment format in excel (2000)
I want to change the default font for comments. I know how to do this each individual time but want to make the change permanent so I don't have to do it each time I enter a comment. Debra Dalgleish has some notes how to change the Font size at: http://www.contextures.com/xlcomments02.html#Default And she has a macro that can do more: http://www.contextures.com/xlcomments03.html#Formatted superiorparties wrote: > > I want to change the default font for comments. I know how to do this each > individual time but want to make the change permanent so I don't have to do >...

excel 2007 chart data label
I have a chart with 3 lines with a data label. Is there any way to automatically put the Highest number to be over the line and the other line data label? -- Sue Hi, You could use another series to display data labels based on a condition. See Jon's example which does it for points, but the same principle can apply to data labels. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/PointAtPoints.html And this labels the last point but again can be adapted. http://www.andypope.info/ngs/ng17.htm Cheers Andy Sue wrote: > I have a chart with 3 lines with a data label. Is there any way to > aut...

IS there a way to find the name of GIF file over Excel cell
Please help, please!!!! Is there a way to find the name of GIF image over a sheet cell. these images are small tick marks and I need to store the count of these images into each respective cell. There can be upto 3 GIF images at the top left side of a cell. Thanks -- gggkkk ------------------------------------------------------------------------ gggkkk's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=29653 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=493638 Over a specific cell? You can cycle through all the pictures and look to see...

Excel Completely Dysfunctional! HELP!
Windows 98SE crashed and I needed to reinstall it. I also needed to reinstall OfficeXP, which I did over the previous installation to save my settings. I don't use Access, and Powerpoint is fine. But Word and Excel are really a mess! Each time I start Word, a Preparing to Install window appears. Then it's fine. The same thing happens for Excel except it gets worse. After the Install screen, there's always an Install Exceling Feature screen that seems to update something (each time I open Excel!). Then when I try to save my worksheet, I get an error that Excel will attempt to restor...

office keeps quitting
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I got a Macbook pro with office 2008 installed. I transfer all my files from the old powerbook G4 and uninstalled Office 2004. I updated everything and the problem is that I open word and powerpoint and the programs unexpectedly quit, more than 100 times now. What is going on? On 8/18/09 9:37 AM, in article 59b7a7ae.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "joche@officeformac.com" <joche@officeformac.com> wrote: > I got a Macbook pro with office 2008 installed. I transfer all my files from > the old powerbook ...

X axis in column chart
When I create a column chart, on the x-axis I have dates (30-Sep-04, 30-Sep-05 and 30-Sep-06) that repeat. (It's a double x axis where I have different office codes and the dates are shown for each office). When I first create it, the dates display nicely in a vertical orientation. However, when I add in the data table, it turns the dates all horizontal and cuts them off (all I see then is the 30-S). Any help on how to fix this? Thank you Data tables can mess up your chart. If there's little enough data to make a data table legible, you have to ask yourself whether you even ...

stop view and lock columns
Hi, I need to hide two columns on my worksheet such that when I send it to a user, they cannot "unhide" the columns to see salary data. Is there a way to hide columns and deny access to other users? Thanks so much! You can use a macro to make the columns VERYHIDDEN and then protect your macro code from novice users . If you send it to me I can easily take a look. -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett@gmail.com "Psychokitten" <Psychokitten@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DE9BE966-948B-4D10-864D-36FE...

Excel 2007 Funnel/Tornado/Pyramid Charts
Hey, In excel 2007, how can I create Funnel/Tornado/Pyramid Charts? (based on a pivot or something), is there a template for it? I find to hard to believe it doesn't exist... :) Thanks, Ron There may be templates. Google would know better. If you don't mind building it yourself: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/tornadochart.html Tornado charts aren't the best way to display data: http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/2008/03/02/tornado-charts-and-dot-plots/ - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services, Inc. http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/ ______...

Turn off font Auto Scale globally in Excel 2003?
Is there a way to tell Excel globally to uncheck the Auto scale checkbox on the font tab for all chart elements? Or at least turn it off for all elements on the current chart? The default seems to be to have auto scale on and the only thing I can figure out to deal with it is to turn off each chart element's auto scale, one at a time. For my situation this is truly an obnoxious default setting. Try first unchecking font auto scale with the "Chart Area" selected (the outside of the chart). You could set your chart preferences as the default chart type, see Chart types, C...

Average every 24 rows
Hi, I have large data sets with hourly values and want to calculate daily, weekly and monthly averages. For example: average C4 - C27, average C28 - C51, ..... - C43827 I tried: =AVERAGE(INDIRECT("c"&(ROW(C4)-1)*24+4&":c"&ROW(C4)*24+4)) but that didn't work. Does anybody know a solution? Thanks a lot! Tim --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Pivot Table?? As long as you have Dates in a column in your data, then you will have 24 values for each date. Stick it all in a Pivot table and you will have all the daily averages you like, in ...

Can I convert documents from Quattro Pro to Excel?
How can I open Quattro Pro files in Excel? ...

How can I subtract cells in a row
I need to be ablt ro do d=b-c on each row, but not have it give a cumulative total. If you want to start in Row 1, put this in D1: =b1-c1 And copy that formula down as far as you need. wildfyre wrote: > > I need to be ablt ro do d=b-c on each row, but not have it give a cumulative > total. -- Dave Peterson Is there a way to do it at the top, so that it will automatically do it on every row? "Dave Peterson" wrote: > If you want to start in Row 1, put this in D1: > > =b1-c1 > > And copy that formula down as far as you need. > > wildfyre wro...

Regarding excel and VBA
Hi, I m a noob using VBA currently. I have this excel sheet which requires me to use solver together with for loop. I have some problems declaring some variables as follow: For i = 40 To 40 Step 1 valueForSetCell = "$AT" & i valueForSetCell2 = "$AS" & i valueForByChange = "$AK" & i & "," & "$AI" & i & "," & "$AG" & i valueForByChange2 = "$AK" & i & "," & "$AI" & i & "," & "$AH" & i & ",&...

..scan a table in excel
Hi every one, I wonder if there is a way i can scan a document with tables into excel or it is not possible. I was trying to, but when it offered options to save the just scaned paper, it listed different formats (extentions) but there was not excel extantion listed. I did on txt, but is there way in excel. Basicly i would like to scan a table in excel so that i can change entries whenever i like. Any thougths? Thank's Margots Text may end up being your best bet. What other common extensions were offered? Anything ending in .DB or .DBF? "Margots" <makapacs@hotmail.com> wr...

Excel Pivot Table Features
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I am familiar with and able to create a pivot table report with Excel for both PC and Mac. In the PC version, you are able to &quot;select multiple&quot; items in the page (pivot) field. In the Mac version, you can only select all. There is no option to select multiple items (check boxes show up in the Windows version). It is also not possible to command/select multiple items. Is this functionality not available on the Mac version. Please help. On 2010-05-27 13:23:58 -0400, mspeicher73@officeformac.com...

Does anyone know where the brochure button is in excell
I can't find the brochure button, I am assured it exsists... please help what is the brochure button? >-----Original Message----- >I can't find the brochure button, I am assured it exsists... please help >. > Hi linzig, Not familiar with a brochure button, do you mean the "print" button that I always use File, Print instead, or "print preview". Did the button come with Excel, did you lose track of an entire toolbar or just one button. Or perhaps a button from some addin, such as Adobe Acrobat, or other software that can produce a PDF file. ...

Problem with Excel distorting pictures during printing
I have a circular business logo which when printed gets distorted. This only happens in Excel and not in Word. It almost appears that the aspect ratio is not locked... but it is. Any help would be appreciated. ...

Problems Setting Columns to Print
I have a speadsheet (Excel 2000) that consists of a range of cells (A1:AV44) - I want to print columns A thru Y on page one and columns Z thru AV on page 2. I cannot figure this out. The margins are all set at 1" all the way around. I changed the scaling, margins, fit to 2 pages by 1 page. I don't know what else to do. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you Hi one workaround: - start recording a macro - select columns A:Y and goto 'File - Printarea - set the printarea and print this range (one one single sheet) - now select the other range, set the printarea and...