Excel Jululian 04-28-10

Good morning

please help

can i create an index sheet for all my excels files (XLS)

regrads

yes george, if thats what you want to do.

RegMigrant

"George A. Jululian" wrote:

> Good morning
>
> please help
>
> can i create an index sheet for all my excels files (XLS)
>
> regrads
oh, go on then

two ways - build an excel macro what gets the information from windows so
can (kind of) keep itself up to date.

I am guessing you have no macro background so i offer the much cheaper way:-

got to Start, run type "cmd" without quotes and hit return
navigate to directory you want to start at (if you need help with this part
then close the window and let us know - you arent ready to play in there!)

you now going to copy the driectory structure with all excel files to a text
file by typing the following at the command prompt:-

dir /B /D /N /S /X *.xls > files.csv

This creates a file called 'files.csv' with a list of all .xls files in the
current directory and below.

if you type "files.csv" at the command prompt it will be loaded into excel
and you have your index.

hth

RegMigrant

"George A. Jululian" wrote:

> Good morning
>
> please help
>
> can i create an index sheet for all my excels files (XLS)
>
> regrads
First thanks on your support

please i did not undersatnd that can you be more clear

regrads

"Reg" wrote:

> oh, go on then
>
> two ways - build an excel macro what gets the information from windows so
> can (kind of) keep itself up to date.
>
> I am guessing you have no macro background so i offer the much cheaper way:-
>
> got to Start, run type "cmd" without quotes and hit return
> navigate to directory you want to start at (if you need help with this part
> then close the window and let us know - you arent ready to play in there!)
>
> you now going to copy the driectory structure with all excel files to a text
> file by typing the following at the command prompt:-
>
> dir /B /D /N /S /X *.xls > files.csv
>
> This creates a file called 'files.csv' with a list of all .xls files in the
> current directory and below.
>
> if you type "files.csv" at the command prompt it will be loaded into excel
> and you have your index.
>
> hth
>
> RegMigrant
>

> "George A. Jululian" wrote:
>
> > Good morning
> >
> > please help
> >
> > can i create an index sheet for all my excels files (XLS)
> >
> > regrads
WHAT ABOUT IF THE xls FILS ARE IN SUB DIRECTORY
REGARDS

"Reg" wrote:

> oh, go on then
>
> two ways - build an excel macro what gets the information from windows so
> can (kind of) keep itself up to date.
>
> I am guessing you have no macro background so i offer the much cheaper way:-
>
> got to Start, run type "cmd" without quotes and hit return
> navigate to directory you want to start at (if you need help with this part
> then close the window and let us know - you arent ready to play in there!)
>
> you now going to copy the driectory structure with all excel files to a text
> file by typing the following at the command prompt:-
>
> dir /B /D /N /S /X *.xls > files.csv
>
> This creates a file called 'files.csv' with a list of all .xls files in the
> current directory and below.
>
> if you type "files.csv" at the command prompt it will be loaded into excel
> and you have your index.
>
> hth
>
> RegMigrant
>

> "George A. Jululian" wrote:
>
> > Good morning
> >
> > please help
> >
> > can i create an index sheet for all my excels files (XLS)
> >
> > regrads
the "dir /b /d /n /s /x *.xls > files.csv" line, will, if entered at a
command prompt, list all of the .xls files from the current directory and
every sub-directory in the tree below it - so if you run it in the root
directory of C: (ie: C:\>dir /b /d /n /s /x *.xls > files.csv) it will list
every xls file on your c: hard disk

If the problem is that you dont understand the use of command prompt and
"dir" command in the first place then I suggest you go down the route of
using a macro instead.

you can find a 'make your own' at ozgrid - run by one of the MVP from here
http://www.ozgrid.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51306

or download a pre-packaged one
http://www.vbaexpress.com/kb/getarticle.php?kb_id=837

hth
Regards
RegMigrant

"George A. Jululian" wrote:

> WHAT ABOUT IF THE xls FILS ARE IN SUB DIRECTORY
> REGARDS
>
> "Reg" wrote:
>
> > oh, go on then
> >
> > two ways - build an excel macro what gets the information from windows so
> > can (kind of) keep itself up to date.
> >
> > I am guessing you have no macro background so i offer the much cheaper way:-
> >
> > got to Start, run type "cmd" without quotes and hit return
> > navigate to directory you want to start at (if you need help with this part
> > then close the window and let us know - you arent ready to play in there!)
> >
> > you now going to copy the driectory structure with all excel files to a text
> > file by typing the following at the command prompt:-
> >
> > dir /B /D /N /S /X *.xls > files.csv
> >
> > This creates a file called 'files.csv' with a list of all .xls files in the
> > current directory and below.
> >
> > if you type "files.csv" at the command prompt it will be loaded into excel
> > and you have your index.
> >
> > hth
> >
> > RegMigrant
> >

> > "George A. Jululian" wrote:
> >
> > > Good morning
> > >
> > > please help
> > >
> > > can i create an index sheet for all my excels files (XLS)
> > >
> > > regrads

Excel
Hi, I am trying to populate blank cells in my spreadsheet with value from another column. For example I have a column J with some blan fields in it. I am looking for a formula I could use to populate thes fields with the corresponding column value in DQ. Any help with this will be greatly appreciated. Thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Select column J. Then Edit / Go To / Special / Blanks This will select all blank cells in the column, with the first one highlighted. Type = and then enter the corresponding reference in DQ. You can then hit Ctrl Enter to populate all...

Analyse with Excel
In Access 2000 when I used the Analyse with Excel button to export a report, text fields are truncated (to 170 characters). How can i get round this problem. -- Thanks MuJAy On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 07:51:03 -0800, MuJay <MuJay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: Have you tried: DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet -Tom. >In Access 2000 when I used the Analyse with Excel button to export a report, >text fields are truncated (to 170 characters). How can i get round this >problem. ...

Illustrator to Excel
I have got some floor plan layouts which created in AutoCAD. Since it is allowed to export as EPS / AI, as I am not familiar with AutoCAD, then I do some updating and saved as AI format. The floor plan are boxes and lines just like we can do in Excel. However, I can't copy them to Excel as Excel creation but it comes out as a graphic. Are there any way copy and paste as Excel Drawing? Or, I have to draw all boxes and lines in Excel again if I need to? =?Utf-8?B?aGFuYXdha3Vu?= <hanawakun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:B16CB61A-2721-468F-9355-77B8ED821B2E@microsoft.com...

Updating Header / Footnote in Excel 2007
Our company has a Spread Sheet with multiple Sheets (Tabs). Some of the Sheets are Portrait and some are landscape. Sheet one is a data input sheet (Tab name is = Input Sheet). Any Data that is used multiple times throughout the Spread Sheet is Input here. That part was easy, but getting the Header/Footnote to update on all sheets without changing the page formatting is difficult. We are trying to get the following for the Header: Town: Cell #: D5 TEO No: Cell #: D34 Page 1 of ? Office: Cell #: D38 Supplier Order No: Ce...

print an excel document from a computer without excel
Is there a way to print a excel document from a computer that does not have excel Can I use print to file? If so, how do I print the file? Francine, Download the Excel Viewer here: http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2000/xlviewer.aspx John "Francine" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E471F5C6-936D-42D5-8646-2CBF82428917@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to print a excel document from a computer that does not have excel? > Can I use print to file? If so, how do I print the file? ...

Excel Macros will not run
I have Excel 2002, when opening & trying to record a Macro, it will not record at all. I have set my security level to medium & ran a detect/repair. Still no results. Any suggestions??? Hi Theresa What do you mean by "will not record". Does the Record Macro dialog box come up? Does the Stop Recording toolbar come up. Did you check in the Visual Basic Editor to see if a Module is being created Please provide some more details Regards Mark Graesse mark_graesser@yahoo.co Boston M ----- Theresa wrote: ---- I have Excel 2002, when opening & trying ...

sav excel doc in various folders one click
How to save an excel doc in several folders with one click? Hi geo You can use SaveCopyAs, see the Excel help for more information. Sub test() ActiveWorkbook.SaveCopyAs "C:\ron.xls" ActiveWorkbook.SaveCopyAs "C:\Data\ron.xls" End Sub -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "geo" <geo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E1CFF1AA-D7FD-4F61-88B5-BE349DB1EAA1@microsoft.com... > How to save an excel doc in several folders with one click? ...

Excel Programming in VB
I want to program Excel in VB to open an existing Excel file and edit some custom cells so new updated data for those cells are entered. Can some help me with some suggestions or codes? THanks I think I'd start by recording a macro when I did it manually in Excel. Then the next question: Do you really mean VB or VBA? ms newsgrp wrote: > > I want to program Excel in VB to open an existing Excel file and edit some > custom cells so new updated data for those cells are entered. > > Can some help me with some suggestions or codes? > > THanks -- Dave Peterson ...

MS Excel 2003 automating new worksheet & transfer balances
Hi, Im a fairly basic Excel user and need help from the experts! I have just converted a manual daily cash sheet form to an excel spreadsheet. I want/need to automatically generate each new days cash sheet and have it transfer the balances (bank balance & cash on hand) from the previous day. At this time we are copying the original cash sheet template to be used for the current days receipts and manually entering those running balances from the previous day. Is there a way to automate this process so the balances are transferred when each new worksheet is created? Much appreciated! ...

A user says he can't get my drop down list to work in Excel.
I have a spreadsheet (Office 2003) where the first three columns are controlled by drop down menus. Everyone else can click on the boxes and see the drop down choices but one user says that when he left-clicks nothing shows up. He also says that the right click only works on the two drop downs next to the first one. So for those he can use the 'Pick from List' feature. I don't understand why he is unable to see the dowp-down lists and only right click on two of the three boxes. Is there some error with older versions of Excel? Is there some secret checkbox on an Option...

Excel: Combo Box
Hi: In Excel, I want a combo box, which can control on each cell. How can I do that? Because after I create the combo box, then cell link is B1, then the combo box only control B1 value, I want it control all cell like this: ___A_B 1____Y 2____N 3____Y 4____N 5... etc.. How do I fix that? Thanks. Thanks. -- accessman2 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ accessman2's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27953 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=474566 in another cell i use ind...

how can I add hours in Excel?
I am trying to add payroll hours using excel. I know there is a really easy solution to this but this is what I'm doing. For example: IN 6:06 OUT 11:34 IN 12:35 OUT 3:59 My formula to get total per day is =(A2-A1)+(A4-A3) This formula IS giving me the right hours added, but when I add the totals per day to get a total for payroll (2 weeks) I am getting some extremely off number. My formula for that is just =SUM(C8+C13+C18+C23......) Can anyone help me out?? I know I might need to format my totals so that it adds hours and not time. make sure that you format the total...

CHAR(10) does not create new line in excel 2007
I am copying contents from multiple cells into one cell, I would like a new line for each cell content being copied. I use the following forumula and do not see a new line being created. I found this on microsofts site; however, it does not work in Excel 2007... HELP!! Where is your formula? Anyway try this. Copy the below formula and paste it in any the cell ="ABC"&CHAR(10)&"DEF"&CHAR(10)&"GHI"&CHAR(10)&"JKL" Then copy that cell and do right click and select paste special and select values and give ok. Now ...

cannot access online help in excel
online help works in all office 2003 programs except excel ...

Formula Help 06-02-10
I need a formula (will be in L2) to do the following-- IF G2 contains the text "bail" then L2 should be the contents of cells B2 G2 H2 separated by commas. If G2 does not contain the text "bail" then I want L2 to remain blank. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! Heather =IF(G2="bail",B2&","&G2&","&H2,"") -- Best Regards, Luke M "HeatherJ" <HeatherJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B7DF0AE9-6B35-4EFA-8A93-9C053B1AB388@microsoft.com... >I need a formula (wil...

how to copy Excel file on to a web site?
Excel will not allow Select All in Edit to copy the file so it can be put on a web site so how can it be done? It's difficult to understand what your trying to do, but in versions after 2000 you can go to File>Save as web page -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England www.nickhodge.co.uk nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS "drace19" <drace19@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DAAD8558-EBFC-4F21-94FE-AB7BC92EC9B1@microsoft.com... > Excel will not allow Select All in Edit to copy the file so it can be put > on > a web ...

windows 7 newsgroup? 01-27-10
Is there a Windows 7 newsgroup? __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4808 (20100126) __________ The message was checked by ESET Smart Security. http://www.eset.com On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 21:40:51 -0700, *BUSY* wrote: > Is there a Windows 7 newsgroup? > > __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus > signature database 4808 (20100126) __________ > > The message was checked by ESET Smart Security. > > http://www.eset.com alt.windows7.general "*BUSY*" <krem...

Workbook Crashes Excel
I am in the process of learning how to apply what I know about Visual Basic to VBA in Excel. When I attempt to open a particular Workbook I get an error message that says Excel "..has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down." Under Details I find: EXCEL caused an invalid page fault in module VBE6.DLL at 01a7:65004f34. Some of the VBA Code is set to run when I open the Workbook. 1. Is there some way to Disable the Code when I open a Workbook so I can look for the problem? 2. I have a Hex Editor and a backup of said file. Is there anything I can modify so the file ...

DDE very slow with Excel 2002 repost
I have a DDE server app that my clients use to import data into Excel. After some of my clients upgraded to Excel 2002 & Windows XP I received numerous complaints about sevier performans deterioration. For example a spreadsheet with 150 DDE links used to update for 2-3 min with Excel 200 on Windows 2000. With Excel 2002 on Windows XP it take 15 to 20 min for the same spreadsheet !!! As they spent lots of money for the upgrade, everithing was blamed on my DDE server. I took some of their documents and made some test with different versions of Windows, Excel and OpenOffice 1.1. I o...

would like to open .LCD (lucid 3d) extensions in excel
have .lcd worksheets that i would like to convert to excel ...

Business Portal (with GP 10)
If an Approver is out of office and already created requisitions are stranded in the Approval Hierarchy, is it possible to add to the list of User Permissions to extend approval permissions by Select Final Approval for Self, allowing approver to self approve his/her on requisition created prior to this new permission?? If not, how do we rescue stranded requisition in Appover's absence? - Bharat ...

Hard to explain
Okay - this is really tough for me to explain but I have a code for my macro that I have an error on and I CANNOT figure out why! I am not too good at explaining this so please ask any questions on info you may need!!! Thank you so much in advance!!! Here is my code - please please help me! Sub Macro2() ' ' Macro2 Macro ' Macro recorded 5/2/2006 by Authorized User ' ' Keyboard Shortcut: Ctrl+z ' Sheets("Corp").Visible = True ActiveSheet.Select Range("A2:M2").Select Range(Selection, Selection.End(xlDown)).Select Selection.Copy ...

Cell formatting problem, Excel 97
I am encountering a problem with Excel 97 which is being used by th executive vice-president of our company, and I would appreciate an guidance in solving this problem. She is inputting data into a worksheet she created by typing it in "NN/NN" format, and would like to see it appear like this. Certai cells she types into display the data correctly. However, other cell automatically re-format the text into some variation of a date format If you click on "Tools" and select "Format cells" and change th formatting, it is not a permanent change; if you type any new d...

Excel Problem
Last night Excel started messing up on my computer. Dell Computer about 6 years old. Windows XP Pro, MS Office 2002. Open a spreadsheet, Excel opens to a blank spreadsheet and then says it has encountered an error and shuts down. Error appears to be something about a kernel 32.dll (not sure). Tried detect and repair, safe mode, nothing works. Does it from a file open, shortcut or program launch. Need some advice. Google is your friend http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&q=kernel32.dll&aq=3&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=kernel&gs_rfai= -- Don ...

Why are the Edit, Insert and Format menus greyed out in Excel?
Lately, when I open any files in Excel, the Edit, Insert and Format menus are always grayed out. I am unable to access these functions in my Excel files. For your information, this happens when I open any file in Excel. How do I restore Excel back to its original condition? It's possible to switch the menus off in VBA, maybe you have run a workbook that has done that as part of a protection routine, and it hasn'r re-enabled them after exiting. You may have also saved your standard Excel template with the code to do this, so that's why it happens everytime. write some VBA c...