Excel is not counting

merry x'mas
In excel 2003, i entered a number in a column and dragged down the rows to
count the consecutive numbers automatically, but it was just copying the same
number instead counting. How to change so as to count?
--
Life isa journey not a destination

Do the same while holding the CTRL Pressed.
Micky

"Sherees" wrote:

> merry x'mas
> In excel 2003, i entered a number in a column and dragged down the rows to
> count the consecutive numbers automatically, but it was just copying the same
> number instead counting. How to change so as to count?
> --
> Life isa journey not a destination
Enter 1 in A1.

Right-click and drag down.

Release button and "Fill Series"

Or 1 in A1, 2 in A2  select both and drag down.

Excel needs to see a pattern.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 25 Dec 2009 03:44:01 -0800, Sherees
<Sherees@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>merry x'mas
>In excel 2003, i entered a number in a column and dragged down the rows to
>count the consecutive numbers automatically, but it was just copying the same
>number instead counting. How to change so as to count?

0
Gord
12/25/2009 4:26:19 PM
need more than 1 entry when doing it without using the control key. enter a 2 in
the next row, then select both and drag.

--

Gary Keramidas
Excel 2003

"Sherees" <Sherees@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> merry x'mas
> In excel 2003, i entered a number in a column and dragged down the rows to
> count the consecutive numbers automatically, but it was just copying the same
> number instead counting. How to change so as to count?
> --
> Life isa journey not a destination

0
Gary

using excel as a database for movies and cd collection help
hi, ive been using excel to maintain a list for my cd's and moves etc just wanted to make it more functional but as im a noob im not sure what i can do, as it stands i have a workbook with a sheet for each catagory cd's movies tv shows etc, with a cell comment giving details of the item like the list of episode titles in a tv series. im using ctrl + f to search and using a red cell for stuff ive lent to friends, i would really like to enhance this workbook maybe add a stats page, see if there is some way to list the number of red cells etc, improve the searching, count the no. o...

export excell into outlook calender
Does anyone know how to export or insert an Excell 2002 spreadsheet (representing a calender) into outlook 2002 calender? Much appreciated. ...

Excel formatting #4
I am trying to sort a spreadsheet. I want it to sort like this: 1112 1112a 1113 It will only sort: 1112 1113 112a How do I fix this? Thanks! Lori ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ If you put an apostrophe in front of each number, it will allow you t treat it as either text or a number when you sort (Excel will ask yo how you want it treated) ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and po...

Parsing excel field help !
Does any know how can I check all the characters of a field and check that there is not an alphanumeric character (a-z) and if there is one changing to zero. Ex. 5J00 = would like to change it to 5000. 20A5 = would like to change it to 2005. Thank you. Luis try Sub changecharactertozero() For Each c In Selection For i = 1 To Len(c) If Not IsNumeric(Mid(c, i, 1)) Then c.Replace Mid(c, i, 1), "0" Next i Next c End Sub -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com <luis.a.roman@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1170511995.662504.85390@q2g2000cwa.googl...

Pasting values not formulas in Excel 2002
How does one copy and paste values rather than formulas in Excel 2002? I have Excel 97 and Excel 2000 and in both one can do this through Edit -> Paste Special But Paste Special does not give you this option in Excel 2002 and I cannot find any help in the online Help with about how to paste values. Hi Stephen, I use XL2002 and I can Copy --> Paste Special --> Values with n problem. Edit Paste Special Values Values is in the Paste Section in "Paste Special" and is the thir option on the left. I hope this helps you. Carlos Lopez -- Message posted from http://ww...

Excel 97 worksheet with macros won't open in Excel 2000
I've got a workbook saved in Excel 97 that has some embedded macros (not sure where-we don't really need them). When trying to open from Excel 2000, get error message "An error occurred while initializing the VBA libraries (126)" and the workbook won't open. Any ideas on how to make this work in 2000? Or maybe even find where the macros are and get rid of them? Thanks, Marion ...

Disable format painter in excel 2003
The format painter icon keeps appearing when I add or delete columns and rows - it keeps blocking me from seeing what is in the cell and is a general nuisance. I do not need the format painter, but I cant seem to find a way to deactivate it, permanently if possible. Anyone have any ideas? Actually it is probably not the Format Painter, but the Insert Options button that is bothering you. Tools>Options>Edit. Uncheck the Insert Options and for me, also the Paste Options button. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 15:43:04 -0800, tenchsama <tenchsama@discussions.microsoft...

Excel 2007 Bar and Line chart on 2 Axes
I used Excel 2003 to create a "bar and line chart on 2 axes" and now have 2007. I can't find where or how to create these charts using Excel 2007. Can someone tell me how to do it? Start here http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/HA102004991033.aspx Then Google "Excel 2007 chart"; look at a few sites Then come back here with specific questions and we will help you get it right. best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme remove caps from email "Nancy" <Nancy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message...

In Excel 2000, How can I change the order in a pivot table?
I am having problems changing the order of my pivot table. The "Drop Column Fields here" is date related and I grouped that area by month. I can change the chart data series order, save the file, close the file, then reopen it and the changes go back to the default view before the series order in the chart changed. I have another co-worker that has Office 2003 and it does not happen to her. It retains the information as she saved it. Is it a glitch in Excel 2000? ...

Recover excel file
Can I get an autorecover file, if I closed Excel without saving changes? Sorry Jimp If you closed without saving, it's gone. Did you happen to E-Mail it to someone before you closed ?? Because it would be in sent email. Otherwise, it's start again I'm afraid. Regards Michael M "jimp" wrote: > Can I get an autorecover file, if I closed Excel without saving changes? ...

PDF'ing in MS Excel 2003
I'm noticing this while trying to PDF in MS Excel (2003). When I try to send the pages I'm interested in PDF'ing to the printer to create an Adobe document, the tabs are all saved as separate files. I have up to 200 pages that I need to PDF, and many of these documents are in fairly complex Excel models in different tabs. Is there any way to bypass this - in other words, have all the tabs that I've selected to print, save as a single Adobe file, so that I don't have to combine them later into one, consolidated document? By the way, I noticed that when I do this at ho...

Excel / VBA
Hi, I am trying to find how to add or remove the description displayed on the "Macro" pop-up menu (Alt-F8). Generally macros recorded have a banale description giving the time/date & username, others that I write directly in the VBE have none. Can anyone point how to add/modify this description? thanks, Scott --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Scott, When the macro recorder fires up, the first dialog allows you to put whatever description you want in, including none if so desired. The value gets saved as comments, but changing the comments does not chang...

excel
I experimented with Text to Voice and now I CANNOT TURN IT OFF! It operates in every spreadsheet and in every cell - it is driving me nuts! Please - how do you stop it! - the toolbar does not work - it stops it if I am quick enough for the one cell but carries on in all the rest!*! Thanks Ally64000@yahoo.co.uk Go 'View' > 'Toolbars' > check 'Text to speech' and the toolbar will appear Toggle the icon on the right, 'Speech on enter' to off Regards, "ally" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:079701c46e53$e386cde0...

excel #118
Can someone tell me if Excel can round up to the nearest ten? Yes. One way: =CEILING(A1,10) In article <DC37A92F-F3A2-4246-BBBB-68F4F2A1D368@microsoft.com>, Warren <Warren@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Can someone tell me if Excel can round up to the nearest ten? hello warren use ceiling(number, significance) or if u wanna have the other wa round go for floor(#, Sig -- m_anoo ----------------------------------------------------------------------- m_anoob's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1989 View this thread: http:...

Excel Football Prediction competition
Hi everyone, I am running a small competition at work (30-40 players) for the forthcoming 2004-2005 English Football Premier League. Basically the entrants have to predict the scores of each game and they receive points for correctly guessing an Away Win (1 point), Home Win (2 points), Score Draw (1 point), No Score Draw (2 points) and then extra points (5 points) if the score is completely correct. I have a sheet for each player (Player Name) where their prediction is posted and an identical sheet (Results) where the actual results are entered as they happen. I have i...

Excel files are 'read only' when accessed over network.
How do I make them accessible please. Also I cannot get access to Windows folder via network. Ideally I would like to get access to everything over the network if I need to. I have ticked sharing and security boxes. Since these are network drives, you may want to have your IT folks look at it and see if you have access to the drives/folders you need. gracenote wrote: > > How do I make them accessible please. > > Also I cannot get access to Windows folder via network. Ideally I > would like to get access to everything over the network if I need to. > I have ticked sharing...

Previous Excel Files
You know how Excel lists the four most recently used workbooks under the "File" menu for easy access. Well I have lost this feature everytime I closed down Excel and open it again. Is there a way of switching this feature on & off? Would appreciate anyone's help. Hi Yes there is a way to switch it off and on... Go to Tools>Options>General tab. There is a checkbox for Recently Used File List and a box for number of files to list. Please note that when you switch it back on it will only list the files you open/save from now on so it will not list recent files op...

Excell Formula
I have a list of over 1000 Product in column A and in column B over 30 Supplies and in column C the price of each product from different Supplies. Each Supplier may offer same product but with different prices ( e.g. Table below ). All the information is in sheet 1. A B C 1 Product 1 Supplier 2 £10.00 2 Product 2 Supplier 1 £8.00 3 Product 3 Supplier 2 £8.00 4 Product 2 Supplier 2 £6.00 5 Product 1 Supplier 3 £11.00 6 Product 3 Supplier 1 £7.00 I have created sheet 2 ( e.g. table below ) I need formula which updates u...

excel 06-05-10
I have a spread sheet and in it i have data validation tables when i finish picking from them and email the sheet i then want to clear the info in the tables but not the data validation table and not usr macro I'm not exactly sure about what you want to do, Is the whole range filled in with data validation in the cells to create your table or only part. If you can select all the cells with data validation then you can press delete on the keyboard to clear all the contents, but the data validation remains. Or if this is difficult because the data validation is dotted about the...

dates in excel #2
hi all need help with the date function this is the situation i use excel daily to create a report. as this report is printed out i just save changes made. except at the weekend when i also make backups so that my boss can send the report by email on monday mornings. in the report we use the NOW function to display the date. when we used to open the backups the date never used to change ie if saturdays backup was opened on monday morning it used to still display saturdays date. now for some reason the date is automatically updating. anybody know how to prevent this happening You probabl...

lookup and match from another excel file
Curious if someone can help. I have a dispatch log that I made for m company, I would like to set up a payroll system that will automaticl pull all rows that meet a certain name and date range. and put it o another new sheet for that weeks payroll if anyone has some ideas le me know, I can post an example of my dispatch log if needed. Thanks Sorry Sort of newb to this. Actually here is the file, I have macros on it for sorting Attachment filename: new daily log.xls Download attachment: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=63792 -- Message posted from ht...

I don"t office,but need Excel or some part of it to open a web pag
help me I don't won't to load all of office "cowboy" wrote: > help me I don't won't to load all of office Hi you can buy Excel as separate product. -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "cowboy" <cowboy@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:5B015950-A7AC-49D0-9386-7EFFF9B9404D@microsoft.com... > help me I don't won't to load all of office Hi, When about to load office, choose custom. You can then choose when to load certain parts. You can install them when you use them the first time. The installer will ask ...

CLSID Error on excel 2000 start up
I get this error twice every time I start up Excel 2000. It says "Class not registered. Looking for object with CLSID:{AC9F2F90-E877-11CE-9F68-00AA00574A4F}. Anybody know how to correct this? or even whati it means??? This means that there is an error with your windows registry. One of three options should fix the problem: 1. Remove Excel and then reinstall or 2. Try to repair it 3. Create a reg file on another working installation with the below key and then import it into your computer. "Shane" <gtech@gci.net> wrote in message news:2d54401c46a1a$22af6330$a5012...

Anyone Else Use Database Query to Query Another Sheet in the Same Excel Workbook?
Wow! I tried this out, and it seems to work beautifully. It's odd, though, that I haven't seen this technique mentioned in any of the several Excel references that I've looked at. Basically, I have a workbook with several worksheets...one worksheet contains a large list with all the records. I wanted to set up the other worksheets to have certain functions...I wanted them to use only certain columns from the main list, and to contain only certain records from the main list that met specified conditions. This is the best solution I have found so far - i.e., creating database q...

Counting Null Values in a Report
I have a report that is grouped by people, then by Reason Closed. I want to count how many entries do not have a closed date. I tried the previous posts but could not get it to work. I have a group header for each person to group their categories together. Thanks. Hi Dea, Try: =Sum(-IsNull([ClosedDateFieldName])) Note the minus sign just after the first paranthesis. IsNull() returns a -1 when the item is null, otherwise 0. So by summing up the negative of each (-1)s you are in essence counting 1 for each null item. Alternatively you could move the minus...