Excel is changing the last digit to 0

I am trying to enter some numbers into an excel spreadsheet and the program
keeps changing my last digit to 0.  These are 16 digit numbers.  Is there any
way to fix this?  What is going on?

Excel is limited to 15-digit precision. To enter longer numbers,
precede the number with an apostrophe.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Heather Lisco" <HeatherLisco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
>I am trying to enter some numbers into an excel spreadsheet and
>the program
> keeps changing my last digit to 0.  These are 16 digit numbers.
> Is there any
> way to fix this?  What is going on?

0
chip1 (1821)
12/12/2005 2:14:41 PM
Thanks Chip!!!

"Chip Pearson" wrote:

> Excel is limited to 15-digit precision. To enter longer numbers,
> precede the number with an apostrophe.
>

> --
> Cordially,
> Chip Pearson
> Microsoft MVP - Excel
> Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
> www.cpearson.com
>

> "Heather Lisco" <HeatherLisco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message
> >I am trying to enter some numbers into an excel spreadsheet and
> >the program
> > keeps changing my last digit to 0.  These are 16 digit numbers.
> > Is there any
> > way to fix this?  What is going on?

Excel Pivot Table Creator Issue
Hi all, I'm unable to Export to Excel my pivot table created in the Excel Pvot Table Creator. I select my dimensions, measures, rows, and data then hit the Excel button. I keep getting the following error: Unhandled object exception: Initialization of the data source failed.Check the database server or contact your database administrator. Make sure the external database is available, and then try the operation again. If you see this message again, create a new data source to connect to the database. Any ideas? Are SQL Analysis Services running? Were all the server setup steps com...

add source data to chart in excel
I can't get Excel to accept more than 19 data points for my X-axis in a chart? Is this a limit? How do I add more data points? (As soon as I try to add the 20th point, all of the other points are lost.) Hi Susan I have had this trouble in the past. Try.... Right click chart and select 'Source Data'. Delete any existing source data and close dialog box. Select the source data you require and copy it. Click on the chart and paste. Sandy "Susan" <Susan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C7D47720-BCF1-4066-911D-555E386F4FEB@microsoft.com... > I ...

how can I show leading zeros in excel
I am trying to input some numeric data into a spreadsheet, some of the entries have leading zeros, every time I move to the next cell, Excel changes the data by removing the leading zeros. I have tried reformating the cells in question in Number & General, both give me the same problem. Can somebody please help. Using Excel 2002. Thanks. You could either format the cell as Text (then type your data) or you can start with an apostrophe '000123 or you can use a custom format: Format|cells|number tab custom in the type box, put as many 0's as you want 000000 The first two op...

how do I set up pull down menus within a cell; excel
Using the subject as if it is the question. see Excel -- Data Validation -- Combo box using Named Ranges http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal11.html http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html -- --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001] My Excel Pages: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm Search Page: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/search.htm "pull down menues in a cell" <pull down menues in a cell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F51618FF-5974-4A1A-A4AA-82BAD5AC7B53@microsoft.com... > Ta...

Change the working directory for a MFC application
I am trying to change the working directory of a MFC application after the application execution begins. Chdir or setcurrentdirectory doesnot work for a MFC application. Can anyone suggest how i can do this? Thanks, - Akila. Akila wrote: > I am trying to change the working directory of a MFC application after > the application execution begins. > > Chdir or setcurrentdirectory doesnot work for a MFC application. > > Can anyone suggest how i can do this? > > Thanks, > - Akila. > SetCurrentDirectory does work for a MFC application. If it doesn't seem ...

Formating Issue
Having done a download to an excel spreadsheet from Sun Accounts (using Vision)I find that the 4 chr cost codes are formatted as general. When I insert a new line, edit copy special all, the cost code is the same general format definition (Note: summing will give the value 0). BUT, if I was to type over either of the cost codes with a new cost code this input is treated as a value (another words the sum now equals value of new input yet the format appears to be identical - ie. still general.) As I use vlookup on the cost code to reference this data in other sheets, I could have...

Standard Cost Changes Screen
I'm trying to enter a proposed standard cost on a finished good item but the Proposed Standard Cost Field is greyed out. Cards >> Manufacturing >> Inventory >> Standard Cost Changes. Any ideas as to why it's Greyed Out, and how can I fix this? regards, davidv Is the Bill of Materil a "Phantom" item? "tintin91" wrote: > I'm trying to enter a proposed standard cost on a finished good item but the > Proposed Standard Cost Field is greyed out. > > Cards >> Manufacturing >> Inventory >> Standard Cost Changes. &...

MS Excel file extension changed through e-mail
MS Excel .xlsx files sent as attachments are received without the x, as a .xls instead. The same is true for MS Word .docx changed to .doc Answered in the Word group. Please don't post the same question in multiple groups. It not only causes responders to waste their time replying to questions that have already been answered but it also makes it more difficult for you to follow up on the replies. If it truly is an issue that involves more than one app either post to the Office group rather than the individual groups or use a newsreader rather than the web interface & learn to ...

Excel will not auto format all row heights
I have a large workbook that some cells will auto row hight but, it leaves a extra line and could be a smaller height. The cell formatting is the same as other cells that adjust correctly. What can i do then, other then manually changing row hight? I have done the find and replace alt 0010 and alt 0013 and the space was still there. also the formatting is in general with wrapped text "Sebastian" wrote: > I have a large workbook that some cells will auto row hight but, it leaves a > extra line and could be a smaller height. > > The cell formatting is the same as ot...

Cannot change account type.
I have an HSA with a credit union that is updated online, I want to have it listed under the Investment Accounts instead of Bank Accounts. The option to change the account type is greyed out with the message "...online-enable account cannot be changed" Was there a question here? I think the message you got tells you about three fourths of the problem. The final fourth that the first three fourths prevents you from getting to is that an Investment Account and a Bank Account are fundamentally different types--one holds Investments, the other holds cash--so a change from one ...

Can you make excel auto save your workbook?
I need Excel to automaticly save my work every 2 or 3 minutes if that is possible. Can it do that? Hi what Excel version are you using? -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Rhiannon" <Rhiannon@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:FE6930C8-D9D4-46D0-825E-0C25A02C1B71@microsoft.com... > I need Excel to automaticly save my work every 2 or 3 minutes if that is > possible. Can it do that? Excel 2003 "Frank Kabel" wrote: > Hi > what Excel version are you using? > > -- > Regards > Frank Kabel > Frankfurt, Germany &g...

Add Word and change format
1) Let say colomn A is a product codes, such as "PK0021", "UQ05P8", etc...Now I want add a "Z" in front the codes. To be "ZPK0021, ZUQ05P8". What's the faster way in case I got thousand of codes? 2) In my colomn B is such code as "18-521-65, 18-81-84, 18-1112-65" and etc. Now I would like to make it to be standard to 4 digit for the middle number to be "18-0521-65, 18-0081-84, 18-1112-65" ... As the same senario as above, I got more than thousand of such codes... What's the faster way? Kelvin The first could be done wi...

Problems with re-setting the last active cell in an Excel workshee
I am trying to re-set the last active cell on an Excel 2002 worksheet (in this particular sheet it should be cell DA197). I have used both the methods described in the Knowledge Base article (deleting rows and columns and re-saving; and the Excess Format Cleaner add-in). Deleting the rows and columns does not work; using the Excess Format Cleaner does not work either and it then also hides the rows from 198 to 65536 - but does not do the same for the columns. I have checked that there is no protection on the worksheet. Has anyone else come across this problem and if so can you please ...

Excel Form "Component Not Registered"
I am using several excel spreadsheet that are working on many other machines but they all of a sudden started giving me a "component not registered" error. I don't know of any changes to my workstation environment. In order to debug, I stripped down the excel spreadsheet to the bare minimum. I noticed that when all the forms were removed from the spreadsheet that the problem disapeared. I removed everything in the spreadsheet except for one form and a Workbook_Open() procedure. No problem occurs if I have an empty procedure but as soon as I even put a comment in th...

Email a single Excel worksheet instead of the whole workbook.
I have an Excel workbook with several worksheets. I want to email just one of these worksheets to a friend. It would be great to be able to right-click the worksheet tab and find the option to send worksheet as an attachment. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the ...

excel database lookup
newbee done some homework on excel i wold like to have data from a database such as access be used to fill a drop down combobox if possible as user enters data in combobox i want combobox to scroll example if user enters character R i wan combobox to scroll down to r and soon as data is entered from kewboard any suggestions, url etc really appreciated Hi see your other post -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "ilaboo" <plener@earthlink.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:yT_Xc.1707$JT3.423@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net... > newbee > done some homework on exc...

Partially protected sheet in Excel 2007 (Win) turns into fully protected sheet
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Hi! <br><br>I have to modify an Excel spreadsheet which is provided to me. On Windows, part of the sheet is password prrotected so it never is modified. If I change it under Windows, I can change the cells I am entitled to. Works fine. On Mac Excel 2004, when I open the same spereadsheet, the whole sheet is protected and Excel asks that I remove the password before I can modify the sheet. This is not very good as you can imagine. <br><br>Is there a way to fix this? Is this a bug or the e...

OE 6.0 and XP home SP2
Daughter's OE is not working and instructions say re-install. Unable to delete the failed OE because it does not show up in add/remove program. Can I download OE without removing the remnants of the failed OE? Thank you, Seamus J. Wilson Seamus J. Wilson wrote: > Daughter's OE is not working and instructions say re-install. > Unable to delete the failed OE because it does not show up in > add/remove program. > Can I download OE without removing the remnants of the failed OE? Outlook Express is actually discussed in microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general. You'll...

Change Withdrawal/Deposit to Transfer
Hi folks. How do you change a transaction that's already been recorded from a Withdrawal or Deposit to a Transfer? Thanks. Dave I'm assuming you are using Transaction Forms. Most people who have used Money for a long time would advise just turning them off. You can also change the category to Transfer: or one of the Expense categories. There is also For a WD -> Transfer switch the Transfer seems Options|Change Transaction To. <bvdesk@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1175621813.359866.84060@b75g2000hsg.googlegroups.com... > Hi folks. How do you change a transaction...

Serious performance issues when changing roles
Just a heads-up: don't change roles during times of heavy user activity or you may have severe performance issues. When you change a role, the MSCRMSEcurityService evidently kicks off a massive job that updates the securitydescriptor field in every record of every major object. Last time I did this, it attempted to obtain a table lock, and as a result, brought my system to its knees. The process was trying to update 46000+ rows from the annotationbase table (you can see this by looking at the last SQL command for the process that is blocking other processes). Evidently bec...

approach to excel
Can I transfer a complete database from lotus approach to excel? Will the dats be safe afterwards Thanks Julian I would expect the data to be as safe in excel as it was in Lotus. Verify that your conversion to excel worked ok. (Depending on your version of Lotus, you may have to save it as an excel file (while in Lotus) or an earlier version of Lotus, so that excel can open it. (Excel doesn't open .123 files.) And keep backups. (I've found the biggest threat to the integrity of my data is me--not the application! I can screw up really, really fast.) Julian Campbell wrot...

How do I change the text size in a drop down box
I am using excel 2003. It seems to default to 10pts. Changing the size in the source list or the default in the general tab did not change the size. ...

excel charts and graphs
I want to assemble several pages of excel charts and graph in the form of a poster without printing them out. THOR ...

insert a JPEG into EXCEL 2002
Hello - I was asked to "pretty up" an Excel invoice for work and need to place a JPEG into the file. I know I can't insert a picture into the header/footer with Excel 2002, but can't I just insert it into the body of the file? In Excel Help it simply says to click on Insert Picture, but for some reason the Insert Picture option is ALWAYS greyed out. Any suggestions? I would REALLY appreciate it! Cheers! Hi mckee You can insert a picture into the header / footer with XL 2002. Go to File>PageSetup. Select the "Headers / Footers" tab and select "Custom ...

Excel worksheet programming for time restrictions.
I have several cells (properties) that will be visible or not depending on the time of day. I am using VBA to set the value of the properties and need a way to use not just the TIME function to establish the system time but, a way to test for a period of time, for example the DAY SHIFT, SWING SHIFT AND GRAVEYARD SHIFT. Using If Then Else conditional statements to test the system time to a span of time to indicate the shifts aforesaid. What I am not clear on is the syntax in VBA to use when identifying the shifts and testing for conditions met. HElP? Is this any help? Dim tim0800 Dim ...