Excel: how to merge data from 2 workbooks with 1 col. in common?

I've got two separate workbooks. Each workbook contains unique columns except
for one, which is a "key" column, or an id field.
Example: I have a client # column in both workbooks. In the first workbook,
I also have first name and last name columns. In the second column, I have
phone number and address columns. How do I merge the two workbooks into one
so that for each client # I have their first name, last name, phone number,
and address.
0
Cesare (2)

Well, I think I'd start by getting all the data into one workbook.  With both
workbooks open, select the worksheet with the phone number and address then
click Edit>Move or Copy Sheet.  Select the target book under 'To Book' and
select it's required destination under 'Before Sheet'  Check the 'Create a
copy' checkbox then click OK

Once the data is all in one place you can copy the require columns to where
ever you want them

0
bigwheel926 (227)
6/24/2005 9:14:03 PM
Use VLOOKUP

I assume second worksheet has ColA: ID #, ColB: Phone #, ColC: Address

Sort the second worksheet by ID number and name a range covering A1 to last
row in C as 'data'.

In the first worksheet D1 enter
=VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!data,2,false) - this will return the phone number if ID
is present.

In E1 enter
=VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!data,3,false) - this will retun the address if ID is
present.

Copy D1 and E1 down all rows - job done.

HTH

"Cesare" wrote:

> I've got two separate workbooks. Each workbook contains unique columns except
> for one, which is a "key" column, or an id field.
> Example: I have a client # column in both workbooks. In the first workbook,
> I also have first name and last name columns. In the second column, I have
> phone number and address columns. How do I merge the two workbooks into one
> so that for each client # I have their first name, last name, phone number,
> and address.
0
Fred1060 (110)

Rollup 2 and Office 2007

Convert Excel Tables to Pivot Table Lists
Excel Tables to Pivot Lists Hello, I'm trying to convert excel tables into pivot table lists and I am looking for a method to do this besides cutting and pasting. The table has 6 columns (see below) with count of product for each year e.g. xxx1 prod1 100 in Yr1, 200 in Yr2, 300 in Yr3 etc. I want to end up with a 4 column list like, (see "Get into pivot table list in this form) Thanks Home....Prod....Yr1....Yr2....Yr3....Yr4 xxx1.....prod1....100....200....300....400 xxx2.....prod2....110....210....310....410 xxx1.....prod3....120....220....320....420 xxx2.....prod4....130....2...

Outlook 2003 keeps crashing #2

Microsoft POS #2

Excel not Access

Lookup based on criteria in 2 columns

MS Money 95 data files

Auto-format in Microsoft Excel.

data input in text box

Looking for XPathReader 1.1
Where is XPathReader 1.1 available for download? I have 1.0 and found the 2005 MS announcement for 1.1 but the link was for godotnet which no longer exists. Nothing shows up in a search at the MS download center or Google. Bill ...

Excel 2007

Personal Macro Workbook
I had some macro stored in the personal macro workbook but now I can not find the workbook. When I try to do a new macro and store it in the "Personal Macro Workbook" I get the error message "Personal Macro Workbook in the startup folder must stay open for recording". I click ok and get a message that I'm unable to record. I can record macro to other workbooks. What happened to the personal macro workbook ? Thanks ...

Sorting Data #5

How do I use traffic lights in excel

Opening Excel Workbooks

Linker Error after upgrade from VC7.1