excel: How can I color code rows based on a value in a cell?

Jexample: If the value in cell J2=P, then shade the entire row in yellow.

1. Select row 2.
2. Go to Format > Conditional Formatting. Select "Formula
Is"
3. Insert:  =$J$2="P"
4. Click the "Format" button and format as desired.

HTH
Jason
Atlanta, GA

0
jasonjmorin (551)
2/1/2005 10:13:10 PM
Parker

Select the entire row to color.  Doesn't have to be row 2.

Format>Conditional Formatting>Formula is: =$J2="P"

Pick a color from from the Format button.

Note the $J2 must be entered as is with the $ sign.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 13:43:02 -0800, "Parker1333"
<Parker1333@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Jexample: If the value in cell J2=P, then shade the entire row in yellow.

0
Gord

trouble with copying a cell to other cells.
Info adds +1 (so 3oo goes to 301) and in the same function, 2 stays a 2 when copied to another cell. How do I mark what changes and what doesn't? I found the info posted on a different post. by BenjieLop for Copying a formula 9/20/2004 I want to copy a formula from one cell to several others, it is a basic formula =c5*d12 when i copy and paste the formula changes..( =c6*d13 and so on...) I want the second part d12 to change but i want to anchor the first part somehow so the c5 is constant in every formula c5*d13 c5*d14 etc.. The formula =$C$5*D12 will do the trick ...

how do i enable dde in excel?
i am posting a DDE link into an excel cell from an external program and getting the message ' DDE Not enabled' in the cell once the link is pasted in. how do i enable DDE? ...

Paste Several Values into one Cell
Hi all. I have data in several cells (I2:GJ2) on one row. I want to copy all of this data into one cell as it appears now (in a particular sequence). Is this possible? Thx in advance. Not sure if this is what you want but to concatenate data from several cells into 1 cell, use formula =Concatenate(I2," ",H2," ",G2) just add more cell references with commas and " " to give a space between each cell value for all the cells you want. "sgarrett" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:110F5183-D1CE-4C5A-A7F8-90D01E500FBE@micr...

excel file can't be opened #2

How to transpose in excel file

Can't auto-complete e-mail addresses
Dear All, I just imported about 2000 contacts in my Outlook 2000 Address Book. Able to see them in the address book and create groups etc. But when i compose a new message and i try to enter some e-mail addresses in TO and then why do outlook do not give me suggestion to auto-complete them? I tried most of the settings. It wont work. What may be the problem? -Sameer Outlook 2000 has no such feature. Autocompletion didn't start until Outlook 2002. Versions of Outlook earlier than Outlook 2002 have a feature called auto-resolution. If you enter part of a name or a nickname then tab out o...

Can't restor backup file, "Please insert the next backup disk.....
I have money 2005 backup file (.mbf) and my original file has gotten corrupted somehow and can't repair it (computer hung and had to be restarted). Whenever I try to restor the backup file, I get the following message, Window Title: Money Multiple Disk Backup Message: Please insert the next backup disk. (The disk containing file "".) I was backing up on a different connected single harddrive and there is only one file. The file is not in multiple pieces and on different drives. When I click OK, it doesn't do anything and cancel just stops the process. I even down...

How can I shade area under a norm dist graph?
I have graphed a normal distribution curve. =Normdist(x,4,4,false) for x=-8 to +18 Now I would like to shade the areas where 8.5<x<12 and x<-3. That is, the left tail and a portion of the right tail. How do I do that? TimH - For one method, see http://www.mikemiddleton.com/ShadedNormalDensity.xls - Mike Middleton http://www.DecisionToolworks.com Decision Analysis Add-ins for Excel "TimH" <TimH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:31235839-5F38-48E1-98EF-69A0BB22C634@microsoft.com... >I have graphed a normal distribution curve. =No...

Headers in Excel #3
Can you tell me if it's possible and if so, how I can change the header cells, i.e. A B C D E ... etc? Thanks. Andrea (508) 842-3880 Hi Andrea no this is not possible. The best workaround you can achieve is: - use row 1 as header - goto cell A2 and to the menu 'Windows - Freeze Panes' to always show row 1 - in 'Tools - Options - view' you can hide the row and column headers -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Andrea" <shrews.receptionist@nitco-lift.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:12ff301c44354$b88982b0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Can you tell ...

Autofill from column to row
I have a worksheet with data in a column and want the data on another sheet in a row, sorted in another way. I tried to use autofill to get data from every 25th cell in the column to the row on the other sheet, ['sheet 1'!F2"] in cell B2, ['sheet 1'!F27] in cell C2, ['sheet 1'!F52] in cell D2 and so on. Excel autofill wont understand what I want, is there any other way of solving this? One way In the destination sheet: Put in B2: =OFFSET('Sheet 1'!$F$2,COLUMNS($A$1:A1)*25-25,) Copy B2 across to D2 B2:D2 will return the desired contents, viz.: in...

portfolio value over time
I run Money 2004 and i can't do some things i think are really basic - main two (related issues) that bother me are: 1) is there any way to view the value of my entire investment portfolio over time (e.g. as a chart showing basically just price * volume of shares i own for each investment, combined to show all investments together)? 2) is there any way to view price history for all my holdings as an indexed value (0% at the start growing up or down based on % change in price) as opposed to absolute value? Some shares are $20 each some are $200 each - doesn't make sense to sho...

Excel -> Access Import Bizarreness

sum values from range of cells if cells correcponding have the sam
hiya, i have a small project and i've spent too much time on this already - can't figure it out myself. What i need to do is to create a formula which will find the same values in column A and will sum the corresponding to them values from columns B:E. this is a sort of result i want to get: A B C D E F RESULT: 1 A1 1 5 2 3 A1 31 2 B5 2 6 3 3 A2 19 3 C1 3 7 4 3 B1 22 4 A1 4 8 5 3 B5 37 5 B5 5 9 6 3 C1 33 6 C2 6 1 6 3 C2 16 7 A2 7 2 7 3 8 B1 8 3 8 3 9 C1 9 4 0 3 I would appreciate any ideas how to do this. Thanks and regards, Assume in G1 down are the unique item...

Is this possible within Excel 2000?
Hi, I've used Excel on a get by basis for many years at work, and I'm just beginning to realise its vast capabilities, having viewed several groups which I didn't know existed previously. I subsequently would like to ask if it is possible for Excel to look at the numerical or text content of a cell on one worksheet and then look at a predefined range on another worksheet and find the equivalent cell content and then move the cursor to that cell? This has me stumped presently. Thanks in advance for any assistance. J.J. To actually move the selection, you'd need to use a litt...

Excel 2000 fail to open workbook

HowTo add row to series data
1) insert row with ShiftDown 2) apply new data to the newly emptied cells 3) preserve original chart series range 1) after this code row 2 is empty cells Excel.Worksheet chart = (Excel.Worksheet)book.Worksheets["Chart Data"]; Excel.Range rngToday = chart.get_Range("A2", "D2"); rngToday.Insert(Excel.XlInsertShiftDirection.xlShiftDown); 2) this puts todays date into A2 rngToday.NumberFormat = "MM/dd"; rngToday.Value = DateTime.Today; 3) OOPS - the chart data is now A3..A7 because of the insert above How do I reset the souce data to A...

can't add transfers to my budget
I have 3 accounts and I want to have 2 budget plans I want to have one "main" budget that has all my expenses, then another budget for my girlfriend and I's joint expenses. We have a joint account. I wanted to add the transfer from my checking into our joint account in my "main" budget. I have a group named "Transfers out of budget accounts" but I can't add anything to it or edit it. How can I accomplish this? I say one post here: http://umpmfaq.info/faq.txt that sounded hopeful, but when I tried to follow the instructions, nothing happened. Is t...

Spreadsheet name in a Cell
I am looking for a cell formula that would recover the spreadsheet name and display it in a cell - more or less as "=CELL("row";A1) function is able to return the line number of cell A1 or as "=CELL("filename";C18)" will return the full path of the Excel workbook housing cell C18... Thanks a lot - Alain79 See http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.xlFAQ0002.html -- HTH Bob Phillips "Alain79" <desaivresanospam@free.fr> wrote in message news:ddsce3$94f$1@s1.news.oleane.net... > I am looking for a cell formula that would recover the spre...

incremental counter for dup number values
my wife, accountant, is very often bringing home work where she wants to match offsetting records from two record sets by value only. However, where one set may have 10 instances of $25, the other may only have 2 instances of $25. How can I effectively limit the pick of only two records from the set with 10 dups? ...

how do I insert rows without changing formula
In a cashflow worksheet how can I add rows without having to re-do all the proceeding formulas. use absolute references e.g. =$A$5 -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "tinka" <tinka@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4ED4569E-0FD6-469B-82B1-F30139B1A280@microsoft.com... > In a cashflow worksheet how can I add rows without having to re-do all the > proceeding formulas. ...