Excel Help Please quick question

i want to have a cell automatically fill its self in when another cell says a
certain thing.

eg - if i type "blue" into D5 i want D6 to automatically change to "yes"

Is this possible

Thanks

In Cell D6 put this formula

=3DIF(D6=3D"blue","yes","")

On Nov 15, 7:13=A0pm, Tom Jacques <Tom
Jacq...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> i want to have a cell automatically fill its self in when another cell sa=
ys a
> certain thing.
>
> eg - if i type "blue" into D5 i want D6 to automatically change to "yes"
>
> Is this possible
>
> Thanks

0
muddan
11/15/2009 2:25:51 PM
oops typo !
in cell D6
=3DIF(D5=3D"blue","yes","")

On Nov 15, 7:13=A0pm, Tom Jacques <Tom
Jacq...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> i want to have a cell automatically fill its self in when another cell sa=
ys a
> certain thing.
>
> eg - if i type "blue" into D5 i want D6 to automatically change to "yes"
>
> Is this possible
>
> Thanks

0
muddan
11/15/2009 2:27:15 PM
Put this in D6:

=IF(D5="blue","yes","no")

"no" in this example is what D6 will show if D5 does NOT contain "blue"

Hope this helps,

Hutch

"Tom Jacques" wrote:

> i want to have a cell automatically fill its self in when another cell says a
> certain thing.
>
> eg - if i type "blue" into D5 i want D6 to automatically change to "yes"
>
> Is this possible
>
> Thanks
Thanks for the reply Hutch,

Can this work with multiple ones, like if D5 said blue it would change D6 to
yes if it said Red then it would change D6 to No etc

Thanks again

"Tom Hutchins" wrote:

> Put this in D6:
>
> =IF(D5="blue","yes","no")
>
> "no" in this example is what D6 will show if D5 does NOT contain "blue"
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Hutch
>
> "Tom Jacques" wrote:
>
> > i want to have a cell automatically fill its self in when another cell says a
> > certain thing.
> >
> > eg - if i type "blue" into D5 i want D6 to automatically change to "yes"
> >
> > Is this possible
> >
> > Thanks
=IF(D5="blue","yes",IF(D5="red","No",""))
0
muddan
11/15/2009 2:53:02 PM
Yes, you can..
=IF(D5="blue","Yes",IF(D5="red","No","Neither Yes nor No"))

In Excel 2003 you can have upto 7 IF nested like the two above.

You should use VLOOKUP if you have many conditions.

"Tom Jacques" wrote:

> Thanks for the reply Hutch,
>
> Can this work with multiple ones, like if D5 said blue it would change D6 to
> yes if it said Red then it would change D6 to No etc
>
> Thanks again
>
> "Tom Hutchins" wrote:
>
> > Put this in D6:
> >
> > =IF(D5="blue","yes","no")
> >
> > "no" in this example is what D6 will show if D5 does NOT contain "blue"
> >
> > Hope this helps,
> >
> > Hutch
> >
> > "Tom Jacques" wrote:
> >
> > > i want to have a cell automatically fill its self in when another cell says a
> > > certain thing.
> > >
> > > eg - if i type "blue" into D5 i want D6 to automatically change to "yes"
> > >
> > > Is this possible
> > >
> > > Thanks
Depends upon how many conditions are included in "etc."

May have to use a VLOOKUP formula if more than 7

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 06:40:01 -0800, Tom Jacques
<TomJacques@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Thanks for the reply Hutch,
>
>Can this work with multiple ones, like if D5 said blue it would change D6 to
>yes if it said Red then it would change D6 to No etc
>
>Thanks again
>
>"Tom Hutchins" wrote:
>
>> Put this in D6:
>>
>> =IF(D5="blue","yes","no")
>>
>> "no" in this example is what D6 will show if D5 does NOT contain "blue"
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>>
>> Hutch
>>
>> "Tom Jacques" wrote:
>>
>> > i want to have a cell automatically fill its self in when another cell says a
>> > certain thing.
>> >
>> > eg - if i type "blue" into D5 i want D6 to automatically change to "yes"
>> >
>> > Is this possible
>> >
>> > Thanks

0
Gord

Stupid question regarding reports
I am a former Quicken user switching to Money and I have what seems to me a very dumb report question. How do I create a new report? I've looked in the help file and in the online tutorial and users guide and find plenty of references to customizing an existing report but nothing about creating a new one. I realize that it must be there somewhere. Someone please help this dummy (it would be nice if they gave you even a 5 page manual though). Bob Had me guessing for a while also. Just click on "reports" and select which one you want. Don't forget to use "custom...

Excel 2007

Auto-format in Microsoft Excel.

Excel not Access

Help with income/expenses

help with simple maths in excel

Opening Excel Workbooks

Need help with Auto Filter

How do I use traffic lights in excel

HELP! remote data not accessible msg

Help with a simple database
I am attempting to use Excel to develop a simple database for my office. The database basically lists a variety of orders purchased from various vendors, and my goal is to categorize and sort each vendor seperately. For example: GC Group 4/24/03 7831.1 $1,000.00 Alpha 1/20/03 7003.1 $2,000.00 Chandler 5/6/03 7050.1 $345.50 Is what the main chart looks like. Now, what I'm trying to accomplish is, suppose I added Tomsen 4/20/03 7873.1 $200.00 to the very bottom, Excel would automatically create a new tab (or even worksheet, if possible) tit...

Looking for help on timing within a function
At the facility I work, our associates use a very basic access database to sign out individual work orders on an interval of around every 12 minutes. They have asked if it would be possible to put a timer on the front page of the database to show how long they have been working on the current work order, updating each time they sing out another order. I am not very adept at access nor is the rest of our management staff. Is it possible to add this function, so they can better keep time of their work being done? Use the Form Timer event. Here is an example of how it can be done. In this ex...

Newbie Question: Using Web Services
Hello All. I've been trying to implement Infopath with CRM with no success. I've tried the example, http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnmbscrm1_2/html/mbs_crminfopathcrmintegration.asp, to no avail. I have followed the example to the letter, but find the information about publishing the Web Service to the server to be somewhat lacking. Admittedly, I am not a programmer, and I am continually running into an error in line 54: xmlDoc.LoadXml(objQuery.ExecuteQuery(objBizUser.WhoAmI(), strAllAccountsFetchXML)); Has anyone else ...

Can anyone help ?

Excel DNS query

Please ignore #2

Need Query Help