Excel Help #9

I have Office 2003 including Excel. I click on Help and search for "pivot"
(I want help on creating a pivot table) and one of the matches is "Creating
and Formatting a Pivot Table" but when I click on that it opens or downloads
a file (type *.cbl) which appears to be some type of INI file. How do I
actually get help?

Wayne

Wayne

I have Excel 2003 with Office 2003 Professional Edition.

When I type "pivot" in Help, I get 30 returns.......none of which are
"Creating and Formatting a Pivot Table".

Same edition?  Some intermediate step I missed?

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 08:48:45 -0700, "Wayne  Wengert"
<wayneDONTWANTSPAM@wengert.com> wrote:

>I have Office 2003 including Excel. I click on Help and search for "pivot"
>(I want help on creating a pivot table) and one of the matches is "Creating
>and Formatting a Pivot Table" but when I click on that it opens or downloads
>a file (type *.cbl) which appears to be some type of INI file. How do I
>actually get help?
>
>Wayne

0
Gord

Show Excel in two separate instances/two monitors?
I've recently been upgraded to two monitors (one of the few things IT has done right around here!). But try as I might, I can't get two Excel (2003) workbooks to show in two separate instances so I can put one on each monitor! Any solutions? Ed Hi Ed, open 2 workbooks -- click the Maximize button (so you are in resize mode) --- drag a workbook by the titlebar to the second monitor... Warm Regards, Crystal * (: have an awesome day :) * MVP Access Remote Programming and Training strive4peace2006 at yahoo.com * Ed wrote: > I've recently been upgraded to t...

hyperlink to existing excel file
When I create a hyperlink to an existing excel file and then click on it, explorer opens to the folder that the file is in instead of the excel file opening. Just to test I pointed it to a word document and the doc file opened fine. How do I get a hyperlink to open the excel file? Thanks. Are you sure it isn't to the folder instead. Only way I can reproduce that is if I select the folder instead of the file when I create the hyperlink. As expected if I use a hyperlink to a particular file it will open.. -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "purplehaz" <software@for.me> wrote i...

Why does [group] appear after the filename in Excel 2003?
I upgraded from Office 2000 to Office 2003 this morning. An Excel document I created yesterday in a shared network location that has never been touched by anyone but me is now opening with [Group] status. I need to activate Autofilter, but it is unavailable (greyed) on the Tools --> Filter menu. I also can't locate a definition for this setting or how to turn it off, nor do I have any idea why it is in this "group" mode. It is definitely not a shared workbook. Please help! You may have more than one sheets selected simoultaneously. Righclick a sheet tab and select ...

Removing characters from cell
Hope someone can help me with this one.... I have text in column "A" a list of parts like the following..... ...nhg1234 ..nhg1235.54 nhg3456 ....nhg1253.7 Is thier anyway of removing the dots in front the part number? I dont want the points moving after the the main part of the number. Please help TiA mag()() Do you part numbers all start with nhg? If yes, you could select column A edit|Replace what: .n with: n replace all And keep hitting the replace all button until all are fixed. "Mag()()" wrote: > > Hope someone can help me with this one.... >...

How can I asign a number value to a text line in Excel?
tI have a Backgammon Club with Internal Club Rankings that are in Text. I want my members to report their wins - 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place - in tournaments to my web site . I would like them to imput: their nickname, date of tournament, tournament Room #, tournament points played for, and host of the tournament. I would further like the calculation to display any change in Ranking as a text cell. Additionally, I want to show for the member, how many more points are needed to get to the next levle and what that (Text)level is. If there is a "what if" for this please advise. Ri...

Plot area of embedded charts unexplainably shrinks in Excel 2003 S
I am working on a large spreadsheet full of numerical data. It contains several dozen bar and line graphs embedded across several worksheets. I have a decent understanding of Excel and Excel graphs but do not use VBA. The problem I have with Excel is that it sometimes – and unpredictably – (vertically) shrinks the plot areas of the embedded graphs. This can happen between opening the document and printing it. Other times, the plot area would shrink if I click on the plot area with my mouse, and then click off on to a cell in the same worksheet. The chart area remains the same siz...

Is there a way to setup excel to prompt for a backup copy upon ex.
I want to automatically create a backup onto a disk each time I exit program. "sonny" wrote: > It depends on which version of Excel as to how. It is also preferred that the content of you request not be typed in the Subject field. Please take advantage of the Message area, even for short inquiries. Thanks |:>) "sonny" wrote: > I am currently using 2000. Thanks "CyberTaz" wrote: > It depends on which version of Excel as to how. > > It is also preferred that the content of you request not be typed in the > Subject field. Ple...

Sounds with Excel
Hello Friends Is it possible and how can I do this task with ExcelXp: If the value of cell A1 on "my worksheet" in "my workbook" is "1"-play any sound, If cell A1 is empty-don't play sound. For the next cell on the same sheet B1: if B1=1- play sound different than the sound for the cell A1, if B1 is empty-don't play sound. If both cells A1=1 AND B1=1 play sound different than the sounds for cell A1 and cell B1. I'm running WindowsXP. Thank you. Hi Tim have a look at http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/tips/tip87.htm Frank Tim wrote: > Hello Friends...

External Link-help!
Hi there, I am trying to get rid of an external link to my excel spreadsheet that I created. When I email the excel file to a coworker, the file asks to update links. But, I want to get rid of all the links so that when others open it, the message will not come up. Under the Edit menu, the Links option is not highlighted. Somehow, the external link got embedded into the file, and I need a solution to delete it out. My job is depending on this resolution! Thanks, Tina I could really use some help! Try Bill Manville's addin. It'll find those pesky ones. Findlink.zip ...

!!HELP!! OWA ans Outlook do not synch
OK so I rebuilt my SBS 2003 server and used Exmerge to exmerge all my users mailboxes out. Successfully exmerged them back into Exchange. Had to recreate new profiles on the users workstations but all appears to be good. One slight problem. For my external users who use Citrix and log onto the Citrix server desktop they cannot use Outlook there. I do have a case open with Microsoft regarding this issue however my immediate issue to resolve is why I can log on as a user here in the office, open Outlook and all their mail is there. However when I use OWA the mailbox is incomplete. Does no...

forgot password?please help
I FORGOT MY PASSWORD ON MY MICROSOFT MONEY 2000 BUSINESS - PERSONAL I TRYED EVERY NAME AND NUMBER FOR 2 DAYS tsger@aol.com wrote: > I FORGOT MY PASSWORD ON MY MICROSOFT MONEY 2000 BUSINESS - > PERSONAL I TRYED EVERY NAME AND NUMBER FOR 2 DAYS That's got to be VERY FRUSTRATING! Not only that, but your CAPS LOCK KEY is stuck! I'm sorry for you! ...

display countdown timer in Excel
I'd like to display (in Excel 2003) a countdown timer in a worksheet (either in a cell or a textbox or other control). I want the user to be able to see the clock tick down from say 20 seconds to 0 in one second increments (or decrements, I guess). Is there a function that will do this? If this is somethingVBA can handle better, I can post this question in the programming newsgroup. Thanks, Bert It has to be done through VBA. You could write code or have someone do it for you. That someone would be Bob Phillips who has a free downlaodable workbook with a Timer setup. http://...

Excel 2000
Hi! *First off:* I have created a spreadsheet that has a dynamic range an data validation. *Next:* i know i can add options to the 'dynamic range' and my dro down menu will add the option to its list. *Problem:* How can I make it so the user can add data into th validated data list/drop down menu rather than having the user addin it into the dynamic range? *Example:*this drop down menu indicates how often a system is updated weekly, monthly, etc. etc... i don't want to restrict it, so i want t make it so they can indicate their own time on how often those update occur. TIA -...

publisher 97 #9
will pu 97 work with XP? In news:315601c48ee7$ad717520$a301280a@phx.gbl, tpd <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> posted: || will pu 97 work with XP? Yes, it will. -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.publishermvps.com ~pay it forward~ This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. ...

need a bit of help.....
I have generated a form that shows money amounts. yet i want two colums that separates the dollar amount from cents. I have for example colum *H* as the dollar amount and colum *I* as the cent amounts. Now i have tried Format Cell to set it up but it doesnt work. for example i tried the custom format for the dollar amount and it rounds it. and if there's an amount of 1108.83 the cell will show 1109. so it does not show the true value amount. i also tried the same approach with the =RIGHT(H1,2) but with the left and Mid but still didnt work, because i would have to enter the same amount o...

Help! page range prob in print
Hi I worked on print.Everythings working perfectly except one problem.ie. When i set the PageRange option to 'ALL' option and press print button..instead of displaying only the pages which has information ..its displaying that all pages from 1 to 65535 r going to be printed. How do i remove this problem? thanks, vani I thing you may failed to set the maximum number of pages to print. Check CPrintInfo::SetMaxPage(nMaxPage); method regds Jibesh -- ------------------------------------------------------------------------- FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM! Download Spam Inspecto...

MSP 2007 resources help
Hi all, Three questions: 1. What the constraint A<B,C means and how can I entering in the MSP? 2. I have 3 kinds of human resources. Lets say for example, kind A are engineers. I have 8 of them and everyone is costing 1500 Euros/month. Task A needs 4 engineers. How can I assign them to the task and add the appropriate cost? 3. I have 3 machines as a resource. Each machine has a usage cost of 3000 euros per task and function cost 2400 euros per month. How can I assign them in the appropriate tasks? And how can I distribute their cost? Thank you in advance -- - Hello...

Link Help!!!
hi, How can I add or remove link from “My Work” under workplace, like Calendar or Reports...? And where the file sitelog.xml?? thnx, ...

Preventing Excel files from being moved or deleted
What permissions setting is used to prevent users from moving or deleting an Excel file on a network? This is more of an network operating system setting question. I would think putting the file on a share that the users only had readonly access would be enough. But this would mean that the users could still copy (not move) the file. And they wouldn't be able to update the workbook. bg500 wrote: > > What permissions setting is used to prevent users from moving or deleting an > Excel file on a network? -- Dave Peterson All explained in Start>Help and Support "p...

Excel or Access?
I have server data that is about 200-300 rows/records and includes abou 25 columns/fields. Coworkers have suggested that this data shoul reside in a database, such as Access, and then import/link to it fro Excel for reporting purposes. Does anyone have a recommendation/comment/suggestion on this? I a comfortable using Excel as my "database" for this data that will no grow much larger than it already is, and is easier for me to perfor the reporting in Excel simply on another sheet. Thanks! Ric -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi, Why fix what's not broken? ...

trendline HELP!
I have a chart that i am making of PPMs for the year of 2006. I have jan-may in the data series and the rest are left blank. I am trying to get a trendline in where it will stop at whatever month I am at but update when a new month's data is entered into the box. However, I cannot figure out how to do this, when I do have a trend line it goes to like -4000. can anyone help me please? Make a dynamic chart: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Dynamics.html http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/newsgroups/dynamic_charts/index.html http://www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme/ExcelTips/Dynamic.htm...

Help what kind of formula?
I've used Excel formulas in a basic way (sums, averages, divisions, and multiplication of cell data) for about a year. I came across this formula today for a project I need to complete. I've never seen the "SUMIF" or the dollar symbol, OR the ampersand! After hilighting the formula to see if I could just figure it out, I'm stumped. Any chance someone could explain what function these symbols serve Here is the formula =SUMIF($D$3:$D$28,"="&$C38,H$3:H$28) :confused: -- Emil0 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Emil...

Was this post helpful to you?
Hi gang, Just curious about the Yes, No selection on the question, "Was this post helpful to you? " In a case where I posted a question and received numerous helpful responses, which collectively provided the final solution, do I select Yes for each response that was helpful, or just select Yes on the very last post when the topic has ended? Thanks Peter On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 13:44:01 -0700, Petermgr <Petermgr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi gang, > >Just curious about the Yes, No selection on the question, "Was this post >helpful to you? "...

Need help from fellow Admin about Mailbox sizes
I need a little help from some fellow Admins that have successfully created some policies about mailbox limits. Currently I am fighting the small company mentality in a growing company. We have about 150-200 mailboxes and I am looking for some suggestions on at what size is a good idea to start the warning messages, then stop send and then stop all traffic. I have some users that are getting to the 2GB size. What do you guys suggest? Thanks in advance. There is no standard or best practice for quota settings except that you should set a limit, even if a high one, for "Prohibi...

Automatic open locked excel file through access control
We know,Excel has prompt password to open it files. Is it possible to create a code that can supplies the excel prompt password?.So that when we open the excel file through our access control in a form, the excel files can be opened automatically.But when the excel files opened from its default icon,it will prompt a password first. On Jul 10, 8:43 pm, "shiro" <s...@play.com> wrote: > We know,Excel has prompt password > to open it files. > Is it possible to create a code that can > supplies the excel prompt password?.So that when we > open the excel file throu...