Excel Frequently Used Worksheets

I am looking for a funtion in Excel similar to the MS-
Word menu option "WORK".  In Word, this feature keeps a
separate list of frequestly used documents that could be
used a default docs such as a monthly report, letter(s),
project headings/sections, etc.  This list is separate
from the standard 1-9 last opened documents.

In Excel I see this feature as a great way to keep a
similar set of spreadsheets that one must access
frequently, but in the recently used list (1-9), could
get rolled off.

I looked through all the commands in Excel and could not
find it at all.
0
anonymous (74722)

As far as I'm aware there's no such function in Excel. (Although I have seen
a fairly cumbersome macro that can do something similarly, which someone may
give you).
What I do is write a macro for each file I want to treat this way and put it
in the File menu.
The code would be something like this which I store in the Personal.xls
workbook:
Sub LoanTapes()
    Workbooks.Open Filename:="C:\My Documents\TAPES\loan tapes.xls"
End Sub
(You'll need amend it to put the correct path to the file.)
Rob

"Bill M" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am looking for a funtion in Excel similar to the MS-
> Word menu option "WORK".  In Word, this feature keeps a
> separate list of frequestly used documents that could be
> used a default docs such as a monthly report, letter(s),
> project headings/sections, etc.  This list is separate
> from the standard 1-9 last opened documents.
>
> In Excel I see this feature as a great way to keep a
> similar set of spreadsheets that one must access
> frequently, but in the recently used list (1-9), could
> get rolled off.
>
> I looked through all the commands in Excel and could not
> find it at all.

0
robnobel1 (59)
1/9/2004 12:43:32 AM
Not sure of where you found a menu option called "Work".
What version of Word do you use?
Are you talking about templates?

--
Regards;
Rob
"Bill M" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am looking for a funtion in Excel similar to the MS-
> Word menu option "WORK".  In Word, this feature keeps a
> separate list of frequestly used documents that could be
> used a default docs such as a monthly report, letter(s),
> project headings/sections, etc.  This list is separate
> from the standard 1-9 last opened documents.
>
> In Excel I see this feature as a great way to keep a
> similar set of spreadsheets that one must access
> frequently, but in the recently used list (1-9), could
> get rolled off.
>
> I looked through all the commands in Excel and could not
> find it at all.

0
NotLikely (282)
1/9/2004 12:52:58 AM
In Word, v 2000 it's in Customise>Commands>Built- in menus.
Rob

"RWN" <NotLikely@mts.net> wrote in message
> Not sure of where you found a menu option called "Work".
> What version of Word do you use?
> Are you talking about templates?
>
> --
> Regards;
> Rob
> "Bill M" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I am looking for a funtion in Excel similar to the MS-
> > Word menu option "WORK".  In Word, this feature keeps a
> > separate list of frequestly used documents that could be
> > used a default docs such as a monthly report, letter(s),
> > project headings/sections, etc.  This list is separate
> > from the standard 1-9 last opened documents.
> >
> > In Excel I see this feature as a great way to keep a
> > similar set of spreadsheets that one must access
> > frequently, but in the recently used list (1-9), could
> > get rolled off.
> >
> > I looked through all the commands in Excel and could not
> > find it at all.

0
robnobel1 (59)
1/9/2004 1:02:42 AM
Also see http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/General/WorkMenu.htm for more info.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 11:32:42 +1030, "rob nobel"
<robnobel@nospamdodo.nospamcom.nospamau> wrote:

>In Word, v 2000 it's in Customise>Commands>Built- in menus.
>Rob
>
>"RWN" <NotLikely@mts.net> wrote in message
>> Not sure of where you found a menu option called "Work".
>> What version of Word do you use?
>> Are you talking about templates?
>>
>> --
>> Regards;
>> Rob
>> "Bill M" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I am looking for a funtion in Excel similar to the MS-
>> > Word menu option "WORK".  In Word, this feature keeps a
>> > separate list of frequestly used documents that could be
>> > used a default docs such as a monthly report, letter(s),
>> > project headings/sections, etc.  This list is separate
>> > from the standard 1-9 last opened documents.
>> >
>> > In Excel I see this feature as a great way to keep a
>> > similar set of spreadsheets that one must access
>> > frequently, but in the recently used list (1-9), could
>> > get rolled off.
>> >
>> > I looked through all the commands in Excel and could not
>> > find it at all.

0
Gord
1/9/2004 2:42:46 AM
I had the same request as you and below is a response
from the community member - "Kieran"
<Kieran.yidsm@excelforum-nospam.com>

QUOTE " I have used the attached add-in to create the
Excel equivalent of the MS Word work menu.

Basically it allows you to create a static list of
favourite files under a new menu item.

From memory it has probelms if the fiels are laready open
by other users, otehr than that it works fine.

Attachment filename: excel_97_2000_workmenu.xla

Download attachment:
http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=383355
" END QUOTE

I found this to work just like the word version.
It also works in XP version of excel.
However, just like MS Word, you can't delete individual
files you don't need anymore.

RORY

0
anonymous (74722)
1/9/2004 7:42:40 AM
"However, just like MS Word, you can't delete individual
files you don't need anymore."

Not entirely true Rory.
In Word, try (with CAUTION!!) .....
CTRL+ALT+Hyphen.
When you get a thick long hyphen you can delete what you like (even menu
items).
Rob

"Rory" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I had the same request as you and below is a response
> from the community member - "Kieran"
> <Kieran.yidsm@excelforum-nospam.com>
>
> QUOTE " I have used the attached add-in to create the
> Excel equivalent of the MS Word work menu.
>
> Basically it allows you to create a static list of
> favourite files under a new menu item.
>
> From memory it has probelms if the fiels are laready open
> by other users, otehr than that it works fine.
>
> Attachment filename: excel_97_2000_workmenu.xla
>
> Download attachment:
> http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=383355
> " END QUOTE
>

> I found this to work just like the word version.
> It also works in XP version of excel.
> However, just like MS Word, you can't delete individual
> files you don't need anymore.
>
> RORY

0
robnobel1 (59)

Can i use Windows Search to find a number within Excel?
If i use Widnows search of the CONTENTS of files (not file names), i find in Excel, that for cells that contain text, they can be found. But, it does not appear to me that numbers can be found. Of course the number as Excel stores it may differ from how it is displayed. But, does anybody know if this is possible? For instance, i have a cell with the number 3,709,227 in it, as it appears in Excel (as formatted). I tried typing the number both with and without the commas, into WIndows search, but Windows search still does not find the Excel file that contains that number. So, any kn...

Excel 2007: Problem with refresh screen (when minimizied)
Hello On our network (around 40 workstations; Win XP Pro and Office 2007) we have particular the following problem: The user minimized the Excel programm window and do some other works in other applications, return to the minimized Excel window and want to maximize the Excel window. Result: The Excel window is empty. You can paricular see some rows or colums but often not. We try out also other graphic card but get no success. Any ideas? Kind regards, Martin Schweizer ...

Using installer Cleaner
Sorry, my initial post mentionned mistaken Registry cleaner. I meant Installer Cleaner. Installer Cleaner is a neat tool when the standard uninstall process fails. I am wondering if there is a way to track changes made to the registry while removing a given entry with this Installer Cleaner? -- John Doue If you mean the windows installer cleanup utility, read the caveats before using the tool; which in any case only removes the installer entries, and not the actual program "John Doue" <notwobe@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:ORyraR2zKHA.6112@TK2MSFTNGP0...

excel 97 filename truncation in Windows XP Pro
I have a legacy application that runs in Excel 97. I have Excel 97 and Excel XP loaded on a new machine that runs Windows XP Pro. The legacy application fails because the filename of a workbook is truncated during the saveas command. When I do a manual saveas in Excel 97, the filename truncates to the first letter. If I do the same thing in Excel XP, the saveas works normally. There have been a few posts describing the same problem. I searched google and found this: http://google.com/groups?threadm=020101c30916%2442320250%24a501280a%40phx.gbl The last post in the thread suggested an answe...

Paying a lot of money for a formal dress that you will only wear once can be frustrating. Used clothing stores can offer an extensive selection of formal wear at affordable prices that you or your d
Paying a lot of money for a formal dress that you will only wear once can be frustrating. Used clothing stores can offer an extensive selection of formal wear at affordable prices that you or your daughter will love. http://www.shoesbootjeans.com http://www.shoesbootjeans.com/Replica_Mens%20Shoes_1.html http://www.shoesbootjeans.com/Replica_Womens%20Shoes_1.html http://www.shoesbootjeans.com/Replica_Boots_1.html http://www.shoesbootjeans.com/Replica_Boots_1.html http://www.shoesbootjeans.com/newarrivals.html http://www.shoesbootjeans.com/hotproducts.html Used clothing stores are full of ite...

Changing the fields the LOOK FOR facility uses
Hi, Ive had a good look round the system and dont think this is possible, just wondered if anybody else has any ideas. The issue is as follows :- If I go to the default cases view (All Cases), I can see all cases against all accounts. I would like to be able to Look For all or part of an account name (or potentially other fields) to quickly filter this list. Is it possible to alter or add the fields that the Look For facilty will use to return results? or Can an advanced find use take arguments? Cheers Dan Hi, Go to Settings - Customization, and customize the Case enti...

Office 2003 Opening a new Excel Doc.
I just updated to Office 2003 and everytime I open up a new workbook a blank workbook name PERSONAL opens as well. How do I change that from happeneing?? Thanx, Jesse Hi Jesse Window>Hide and save the personal.xls When you record a macro you have the option to save the macro in this hidden workbook so you can use the macro in all your workbooks. You can find the file in your Xlstart folder -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Jesse" <Jesse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:65505D55-31EB-4BAA-A32D-B052F70E03AD@microsoft.com... >I just...

Two Excel tables in MS Query
How can I link two tables in two Excel-files, in MS Query and result view in PivotTable? ---------------------------------------------------------------------- I can link two tables in one Excel-file. ActiveSheet.PivotTableWizard SourceType:=xlExternal, SourceData:=Array( _ "SELECT `TKG_DATA$`.YEAR, `TKG_DATA$`.MONTH, `TKG_DATA$`.DAY, `TKG_DATA$`.TIME, `TKG_DATA$`.`INC/OUT`, `TKG_DATA$`.`C59/170`, `TKG_DATA$`.`C46/158`, `TKG_DATA$`.`C356/137`, `TKG_DATA$`.`C355/358`, `TKG" _ , _ "_DATA$`.`C354/357`, `TKG_DATA$`.`C32/142`, `TKG_DATA$`.`C30/116`, `TKG_D...

Merging excel office data into a publisher office project(Australi
Having problems when I get to the point in the merge wizard "catalog merge template", with the DOB format to be entered into the membership card that I have made in Publisher. It reverts back to American date format. Could the problem be in the edit record section? All seems to be okay till then. I have checked the regional settings etc., all okay. When I have finished template of merge & highlighted the DOB field gone to language on tool bar and set language it still doesn't work then preview, it has reverted to American. ...

Does anyone still use vbAdvance?
I want to customize my DllRegisterServer function and vbAdvance (http://vb.mvps.org/tools/vbAdvance/) sounds like it would be perfect. Unfortunately after downloading and installing, I try to register the Custom Registration example project "DllRegisterServerSample.dll" with regsvr32 and I get an error x0..05. I traced the problem to the code that starts the required vb stuff, in MRuntimeInit, line 106: hMod = GetModuleHandle("mydll.dll") .... pGetClass = GetProcAddress(hMod, "DllGetClassObject") If pGetClass Then CopyMemory pCall, Init...

how do I tell excell 2003 to print sheets back to front?
In excel 97 I could tell printer to start printing from the back page to the front so the job would come off of the printer in the right order. I cannot find that command in excell 2003. Am I overlooking it, or have they changed the command convention to an obscure, hard to understand, jargon. FILE | PRINT... | Click on the PROPERTIES button | PAGE ORDER, i.e. back to front. "goochiepepper" wrote: > In excel 97 I could tell printer to start printing from the back page to the > front so the job would come off of the printer in the right order. I cannot > find that co...

How can i get more 3D shapes for Auto shapes in excel?
Please suggest how i can get more shapes (simple as well as 3D ) in Auto Shapes of drawing toolbar in excel & word? ...

Export Excel file to SQL
I'm currently doing a project where it require client to export excel spreadsheets to SQL. the application that is using the excel spreadsheet exported is a web-based application. Is it possible to do that? Any suggestion or recommendation is greatly appreciated. thank you Go to Enterprise Manager. Browse to your database in the left pane (object browser). Right click your database. All Tasks --> Import Data. Next. Set your datasource to Microsoft Excel 97-2000 or whichever Excel version you have. Click the ... button next to the File Name text box and browse to your Excel sheet. M...

Excell Cells: Auto Formatting
I have protected a workesheet and unfortunately when the people submit information on the cells and it is too long than the actual height of the row and it wont extend. What can I do? When protecting the sheet allow users to format cells and rows. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Tue, 9 Feb 2010 13:14:01 -0800, Sophie <Sophie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have protected a workesheet and unfortunately when the people submit >information on the cells and it is too long than the actual height of the row > and it wont extend. What can I do? How do I jus...

When using Terminal Server
When remote users open Outlook from a Terminal Server session, they only see a small portion of the messages in their inbox (and other folders) that are on the Exchange Server, yet when they log in at the main office, they see all messages. What controls the two different views and how is it changed. Thanks in advance for any help, Bob Showalter, Packer International ...

How do I create a drop down list in Excel 2003
How do I create a drop down list in Excel 2003. I've tried to use the help menu and I cannot figure it out. See: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal01.html -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Lenny" <Lenny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8F05DEA1-E264-4760-9DDE-3C97319AA1D4@microsoft.com... > How do I create a drop down list in Excel 2003. I've tried to use the help > menu and I cannot figure it out. ...

Watermark in excel 2000
Hi I'm trying to insert a watermark from a jpg file. The probem is the watermark always stays on top and cover the text, no matter I use the "send to back" button on or the item. TIA /Per Hi maybe the following sites will help you: http://www.xl-logic.com/pages/formulas.html http://www.rondebruin.nl/files/Watermark.zip And for Excel 2002+: http://cpap.com.br/orlando >-----Original Message----- >Hi > >I'm trying to insert a watermark from a jpg file. >The probem is the watermark always stays on top and cover the text, no >matter I use the "send ...

Deleting Rows Automatically using a Text File List
I have a text file list of .jpg files that I want to delete (rows) from Excel. The list has 800+ items in it. Deleting these rows one at a time in Excel (after doing a "find") is terribly time consuming. Does anyone know how to make Excel read my text file and delete the rows with that filename in it (automatically). The filename (listed in the text file) is in a column (in my excel sheet) called "filename". Any help would be most appreciated!!! Seriously! I may have to spend hours on this otherwise! Thank you, Arielle -- mirdonamy ------------------------------...

Maximum value to use autofiler feature in excel
Hi, does anybody know the maximum value to use autofilter in ms excel? I heard my friend told me that excel could filter only select data is less than 1000. He told me that he has 4000 row and use autofilter, an expected record is more than a thousand but the record display only 1000 maximum. I want to test like him too but I don't have any file that contain alot many thousand of record. Does anybody have any idea? Hi see: http://www.contextures.com/xlautofilter02.html#Limits -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Roath Kanel" <012633023@mobitel.com.kh> schrie...

Excel 2000 #38
Hi - I use Excel 2000 and wish to display negative number, accounting and currency values in parentheses. However in the Format Cell function in Excel there is no option to use parentheses. The only option is to use the -ve symbol or to display the value in red. How do I display the value in parentheses. -- Mike from Australia Hi Mike Try Format>Cells>Number>Custom $#,##0.00;[Red]($#,##0.00) Regards Roger Govier Mike wrote: > Hi - I use Excel 2000 and wish to display negative number, accounting and > currency values in parentheses. However in the Format Cell functio...

Excel 2003 ODBC Add-in
Where can I download Excel 2003 ODBC Add-In from ? Hi MS no longer delivers this addin with Excel 2003. But check out: http://www.bygsoftware.com/examples/sqlrequest.html http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2002/xlodbc.aspx -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Excel2003User" <Excel2003User@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:687E3600-63A2-414E-A7B8-5366BE386667@microsoft.com... > Where can I download Excel 2003 ODBC Add-In from ? ...

DDE link error Excel freezes
Hi, I am using Excel 2003 and in one sheet I have a DDE link from anothe program. When I open the sheet I get a question wether I want to updat the fields or not. When I click YES the sheet normally opens and I ca view the data. But sometimes it seems like Excel freezes and I have t wait 3-5 minutes until it resumes. Anyone that has any idea why? The source program is always started first by the way. Kennet -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Excel 2003, Opening a file
Hello Everyone, I have this problem when trying to open a file in Excel. It takes along time to drill down down in the folder list. Any ideas? Thanks -Mark I suggest putting a shortcut to the file(s) or to the buried folder that your file(s) are in. The shortcut could be on your desktop or in some folder close to the "surface". To create the shortcut or your desktop you can navigate to the desired folder (using My Computer), right click and drag the folder to your desktop. When you release respond that you want to create a shortcut (rather than moving or copying...

can't save files in subfolders using Word #2
I'm running Word on a Mac running OS X. When I go to save a file in Word, it only gives me the option to save in the root files like "Documents" or "Applications." How do I save the file into a subfolder? On a PC, I would double click to open the folders until I got to the folder I needed. That doesn't work here. Can someone help? I'm sure this is something obvious I'm missing. Thanks - Taylor In article <1163740041.258317.226140@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, taylorgriffin@gmail.com wrote: > I'm sure this is something obvious I'...

Excel cell display
I want a text box to display when I click on a particular cell - how can I make that happen? Would Insert> Comment work for you? "slantt" wrote: > I want a text box to display when I click on a particular cell - how can I > make that happen? Yes, thanks - I found that after I posted of course (newbie to Excel). I was looking to see if there was a macro I could gen to do the same thing... "ufo_pilot" wrote: > Would > Insert> Comment > work for you? > > > "slantt" wrote: > > > I want a text box...