EXCEL FORMULAS #6

I WANT TO SHOW THE ANSWER TO A SUM TO SHOW IN A NONE RELATED CELL.IE:FORMULA SET IN C1=SUM(A1+B2) ANSWER TO SHOW IN D1.CAN THIS BE DONE,IF SO CAN ANYONE SHOW ME HOW.
0
anonymous (74722)

Wyn,

Not without using a macro.
You can't change a cell with a formula from another cell.
You could use
=C1
in
D1

John

"WYN BUNSTON" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I WANT TO SHOW THE ANSWER TO A SUM TO SHOW IN A NONE RELATED
CELL.IE:FORMULA SET IN C1=SUM(A1+B2) ANSWER TO SHOW IN D1.CAN THIS BE
DONE,IF SO CAN ANYONE SHOW ME HOW.

0
jwilson (359)
1/17/2004 6:35:24 AM
Hi Wyn!

A formula or function can only return a value to the cell it is in. A
formula can't change the Excel environment.

See:
170787 XL: Custom Functions Can't Change Microsoft Excel Environment

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;170787

To do what you want will require VBA.

You shouldn't use all upper case. It's more difficult to read
especially for those whose first language isn't the one used. It's
also considered to be shouting, which is rude.
--
Regards
Norman Harker MVP (Excel)
"WYN BUNSTON" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I WANT TO SHOW THE ANSWER TO A SUM TO SHOW IN A NONE RELATED
CELL.IE:FORMULA SET IN C1=SUM(A1+B2) ANSWER TO SHOW IN D1.CAN THIS BE
DONE,IF SO CAN ANYONE SHOW ME HOW.

0
njharker (1646)
1/17/2004 6:58:56 AM
When you say non-related, do you truly mean that in the way we understand it.
What you have outlined could be done by simply having =C1 in D1 (But would be
related in my understanding of the term), but if you can elaborate on what it is
you are trying to achieve, then we may be able to help.

Also, please don't type in Caps, as it makes it very hard to read, thanks.

--
Regards
                  Sys Spec - Win XP Pro /  XL 00/02/03

"WYN BUNSTON" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I WANT TO SHOW THE ANSWER TO A SUM TO SHOW IN A NONE RELATED CELL.IE:FORMULA
SET IN C1=SUM(A1+B2) ANSWER TO SHOW IN D1.CAN THIS BE DONE,IF SO CAN ANYONE SHOW
ME HOW.

---

ken.wright (2489)

Are there any household budget templates available in Excel?
Are there any household budget templates available in Excel? http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/default.aspx Do a search near the top for "Budget," and you should find a few of them. Looks like "Personal budget" is the most popular, followed by "Family monthly budget." (based on votes) HTH Dana DeLouis "nevinnh" <nevinnh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2C0B084E-954F-4CAF-8ACB-AF33C6F3F097@microsoft.com... > Are there any household budget templates available in Excel? Go to microsoft template site, on the sear...

Symbols in Excel 2007 Chart
Dear Group, Hello. I would like to use the greek mu symbol in an Excel 2007 histogram. I am able to convert the "m" into the proper "mu" symbol in the spreadsheet itself but this is not reflected in the resulting graphic. I need for my X axis label to be represented by the proper greek letter, not m. Does anyone know how to fix this issue? Thank you in advance. John McLaughlin In many fonts, holding Alt while typing 0181 on the numeric keypad produces �. This means you don't have to change the font for some of the characters in a text element (and many tex...

Excel 2000 tries to open unrecognizable file on startup
Hi, For the last couple of weeks, when I first open Excel I get a Microsoft Excel Error pop-up window that says "This file is not in a recognizable format....". I am uncertain what file it is trying to open, but when I click "cancel" it opens books1.xls. Which I usually ignore and go into "open file" and pick my excel file. Any idea what is going on? Win98 Excel 2000 -- Thanks - Jeff Jeff I suspect one of two things 1) Excel opens all files in it xlStart folder. Search for this and remove anything without an .xls, xlt extension 2) If you go to Tools&g...

"10th" on Excel
For the past few weeks, any time I enter the number "10", the Excel program automatically adds "th" making it "10th". This is also occuring on the Word program. I don't remember making any changes to either toolbar- HELP!!! I can think of one possibility, (and don't ask me how it may hav happened), but look in Tools - Autocorrect and see if you can find "10 shown as being replaced by "10th". My program once started replacin all lower case "p"s with upper case and I know it was nothing I did. If that isn't the problem, I ca...

combine multiple excel file in to one excel file and multiple worksheet
I am wanting to use the following code to combine worksheets from multiple files. However I would like to be able to select folder which contains files in a more automated way that having to change the code every time, and also copy all worksheets with links and formulas removed. Any help on this is greatly appreciated as I have limited code knowledge. Sub Copy_them() > Dim TargetWkbk As Workbook > Dim mrgWkbk As Workbook > Dim i As Long > Dim Wks As Worksheet > Dim fName As String > Application.ScreenUpdating = False > Set TargetWkbk ...

Automatic backup in excel with copy to hard drive and to cd-rw
How do I get Excel to either automatically backup to hard drive and cd-rw, or even when I hit save icon, go ahead and save to hard drive and cd-rw. I already have auto save setup but backup file goes to same hard drive folder as origianl copy. Kind of defeats the purpose of a system crash and wanting a copy on removable media. Thanks for your help! This Word macro auto-saves a copy to a floppy drive. You should be able to edit it to save to the hard drive and CDRW, too. You'll also change some stuff to make it an Excel macro: http://www.vbaexpress.com/kb/getarticle.php?kb_id=203 *...

Fixing a formula
I have the following equation, it is looking up in another worksheet an pulling through information when it finds a match in second file fro cell d in first file. =VLOOKUP(D10,'C:\New Code Se up\[gcodenewsetupcopy.xls]Sheet1'!C4:O81,4,FALSE) This is working but when i copy the equation down a few rows th equation changes to this and it should still be looking at Sheet 1 C to O81. =VLOOKUP(D14,'C:\New Code Se up\[gcodenewsetupcopy.xls]Sheet1'!C8:O85,4,FALSE) I know i need to fix part of the equation but don't know how or whic bit. Please help -- Boethius -----------...

Replacing part of a formula
Currently I am working on a project that uses formulas to referenc another sheet in the workbook. I plan to use the newly created shee monthly. However I am in need of changing part of the cell formula. Example one cell says =Nov!D12 and I am needing to change it to rea =Dec!D12 or =Jan!D12 etc.... Any help -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com One way is to use the INDIRECT function when creating your formulas, eg:- Assuming your month was in say A3 then =INDIRECT(A3&"!A1") will give you the data from cell A1 on whatever sheet is listed in A3. Another option i...

How to add 6% to entire sheet?
I have a spreadsheet and I want to add 6% to whatever value is already in each cell. How does a guy do this? --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Hi "skeetley" Make sure that you save a backup. To my mind it's probably best to copy your table of data to a new sheet. Put 1.06 in a cell Select that cell Copy Select the data to be uplifted Paste Special > Multiply > OK -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au Excel and Word Function Lists (Classifications, Syntax and Arguments) available free to good homes. "s...

Why does Excel ask to save when no changes were made?
This does not pertain to a new document. I open an existing document just to look at it, and when I go to close it, Excel asks if I want to save the document. No changes were made, so it shouldn't have to be saved. It's annoying. Mike One explanation could be that there is a time formula in a cell that has updated on openeing so the worksheet will have changed. -- Mike When competing hypotheses are equal, adopt the hypothesis that introduces the fewest assumptions while still sufficiently answering the question. Occam''''s razor (Abbrev) &...

My excel file is too large (5 mb) when it shouldn't be, why?
I have an excel file has ballooned in size for some reason. I have tried to copy all the cells and then used "paste special" to paste just the values and the file size doesn't reduce. I am copying numbers from an investment website into my spreadsheet and there don't appear to be any issues with the pasted cells but I suspect it is causing the file size expansion and very slow performance. I then deleted all the cells around by spreadsheet and it didn't help at all. All suggestions as to how I can fix this problem appreciated. Kenview If you do a Ctl-End, does...

Excel & Word auto selection from menus
Ok, I'm a keyboarder, not a mouser. I use quick commands like the letter code or arrows on menus to speed along without the grab, aquire, click business. Excel & Word seem to be periodically (not always) automatically selecting menu items based on prior selections if I use arrow selectors. How do I turn this off? I get no help from "Help". Please reply to my e-mail address: legreenwood@hotmail.com. Thanks! Would love to get rid of this nuisance & keep speeding along. ...

Formula Help #23
If I have a number in cell A1 like 5 and another number in cell A3 like 6 I want the number in A7 to show -1 and if cell A3 was 4 to read +1 and if the numbers are 2 away from A1 then the numbers in cell A7 would be -2 or +2 depending on the number in cell A3. All help is appreciated. Thanks Karl You must be kidding! =A1-A3 -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit! ============================================== "Karl" <Karl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:21FB7D9E-DC79-42...

Creating Excel Invoice Template
I have been trying to customize a downloaded template but was frustrated so trying to create my own invoice. My question is once I input the formulas how do I keep/save them ???? when I enter the first calcualtions all is well, but if I go back and edit in the cell where the formula resides I lose the formula ??? I am a relative newbie to this so any help will be greatly appreciated. I have searched this site and cannot find a link to creating an invoice worksheet. Sasha ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions wit...

Sending Email in Excel
1.) I have a formula in a cell that when clicked, sends an email to recipients in the formula. I have pasted the formula below. What I want to do is put the date after the "End of Day: " part. However, when you click on the link, it gives the serial representation of the date if you use today(). Is there anyway to format so that is shows the date formatted correctly? In cell A1: =HYPERLINK(CONCATENATE("mailto:Person1@abc.com; Person2@abc.com?Subject=End of Day - ",A34,": Acc: ",AB1," for ","$",AA1," | Feats: ",'Enh Feats'...

Excel 2000: Regional date problem
We'e just upgraded from Excel 97 to 2000 and are having problems because dates in spreadsheets are showing in US (mm/dd/yy) format rather than in European (dd/mm/yy). This si true whether I use a standard date format or make a custom format. I've checked the regional settings in Windows 2000, and they are correct. I thought Excel picked up the default from here. Any other ideas where I might look? Thanks in advance Alan I wasn't able to duplicate your problem, Alan. I switched to UK settings through Regional Settings. Then I opened Excel 97 and entered =NOW() in two ce...

Percentage formula in Excel spreadsheet
Hi, In my spreadsheet cell E14 adds up E2 - E14 and cell C14 adds up C2 - C14. In G14 I have put a formula to show the difference between E14 and C14 as a Percentage ( formula for G14 is =SUM(E14-C14)/ABS(E14) ). When the Formula for G14 looks at E14 and C14 all it sees is a SUM formula to add up the column. Does anyone know how to solve this problem. Many thanks for looking. Rick Not sure I understand the problem; tell us what answer or error you ar getting. Also, don't you mean you are summing C2:C*13* in C14 and E2:E*13* i E14? Oh, and you can get rid of the Sum - this ...

Excel macro error msg..
Hi I get the following msgbox when I attempt to run a Macro - which is just a simple text string to be put into a cell. " 'xxx'.xls could not be found. Check the spelling of the file name, and verify that the file location is correct. If you are trying to open a file from your list of most recently used files on the file menu, make sure that the file has not been renamed , moved or deleted." (ok) 'xxx.xls' trefers to a file name that was on my disk - but I deleted - I can't find it after a search. All macros when run, exhibit the same thing..... Tried a goog...

Excel countif and
is there a "and" condition if you use countif or sumif? example; 1 c 1 1 c 2 2 < countif(b1:b4,"=c")and(a1:a4,"=1") Hi! Try this: =SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A4=1),--(B1:B4="C")) Biff "KEN" <KEN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:02a801c54ae1$3371a4f0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > is there a "and" condition if you use countif or sumif? > example; > > > 1 c > 1 > 1 c > 2 > 2 < countif(b1:b4,"=c")and(a1:a4,"=1") > ...

Excel #128
I have two excel workbooks I am working with. I am filling data from one workbook (lets call it wkb1) by finding a country name, taking the corresponding currency, and placing that data into an other workbook (wkb2). The common fields in both wkbk's are the country name, but the prices are missing in wkb2. Is there any way to quick fill the second wkbk by doing a mass fill, or by creating a function that will search wkb2 with the name of the country from wkb1, and fill in the corresponding data from wkb1? Does this require a macro or visual basic? Thanks, B B Have a read on VL...

Export Access pivot table to Excel
Hi, I am looking for a fix in below code, probably addition to it. I'm trying to export a query from ACCESS 2003 to EXCEL 2003. Default out put format of query is pivot table. I want to export same to excel. I do that each time with the export button which generates a temp file which I have to save all the time by naming it. So far I have managed to export only the data sheet. I'm stuck with the pivot table portion. These few lines I found while browsing and changed them w.r.t. my requirements. Code is below: ---------------------- Public Sub TransferReport()...

open a new instance of excel for each file ? (Vista / Seven)
Hi people, How under Vista & Win7 can we open a new instance of excel for each file ? thx a lot people. ...

How Do I specify where XML data gets imported into Excel
I have XML data that I would like to import up as fllows in a spreasheet: Cell A2: Job Number Cell A3: Customer Number A4 through A29 should recive the <AMOUNT> data B4 through B29 should receive the <QUANTITY> data etc etc Sometimes all the fields will be filled, sometimes not. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Regards, Diane Hi Diane! You should see therre: microsoft.public.xml Starwing ...

HTML link to a specified worksheet within a excel file
From an HTML page I would like to add a link to an EXCEL file but on a specific worksheet? I s this possible Thanks ...

How do I create a B&B reservation system in Excel?
Trying to create a reservation system for 6 room B&B in excel. Does anyone have template or know where to get one? ...