Excel Formula #25

I am looking for a formula that will allow me to apply one multiplier up
to a certain sum and then a different multiplier after it hits that
limit.

For example, I have a column of numbers 1, 3, 5, 7, 10.  For the sum of
the numbers until 10, I need to apply a multiplier of 2.  All sums after
10, I need to apply a multiplier of 10.

In this case, I would like the responding column to read 2 (2*1),
6(2*3), 10(2*5), 62(2*1+6*10), 100 (10*10)

Thanks.

--
ATK
ATK's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27662

Here is a shot

=IF(A1*2>10,A1*10,A1*2)

it doesn't work for the 7 in your example, but that one doesn't seem to
correspond to your description.

--

HTH

RP

"ATK" <ATK.1wwdmd_1129302311.972@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message

> I am looking for a formula that will allow me to apply one multiplier up
> to a certain sum and then a different multiplier after it hits that
> limit.
>
> For example, I have a column of numbers 1, 3, 5, 7, 10.  For the sum of
> the numbers until 10, I need to apply a multiplier of 2.  All sums after
> 10, I need to apply a multiplier of 10.
>
> In this case, I would like the responding column to read 2 (2*1),
> 6(2*3), 10(2*5), 62(2*1+6*10), 100 (10*10)
>
> Thanks.
>

> --
> ATK
> ATK's Profile:
http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27662
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=476252

0
bob.phillips1 (6510)
10/14/2005 3:26:16 PM
=IF(SUM($A$1:A1)<10,A1*2,A1*10)

Assumes your data is in column A1:Axx, formula entered in B1 and copied
down.  I am guessing you want to sum the range from A1 down to the cell
containing the active formula.  e.g. in cell B5, the formula will
read:

=IF(SUM($A$1:A5)<10,A5*2,A5*10)  and with your sample data will return:
100

However, B4 will return 70, not 62 (2*1+6*10), (how did you arrive at
that with a vaule of 7?)

Is this what you are looking for?

--
swatsp0p

swatsp0p's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=15101
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=476252

Hi

Your description doesn't match your example.
Going by the example, I guess you multiply by 2 for any value up to and
equal to 5,
any value between 6 and 9, is 6*10 plus (Value-6)*2 and any value of 10
and higher multiply by 10.
If so
=IF(A1>=10,A1*10,IF(A1>=6,(6*10+(A1-6)*2),A1*2))

Regards

Roger Govier

ATK wrote:

>I am looking for a formula that will allow me to apply one multiplier up
>to a certain sum and then a different multiplier after it hits that
>limit.
>
>For example, I have a column of numbers 1, 3, 5, 7, 10.  For the sum of
>the numbers until 10, I need to apply a multiplier of 2.  All sums after
>10, I need to apply a multiplier of 10.
>
>In this case, I would like the responding column to read 2 (2*1),
>6(2*3), 10(2*5), 62(2*1+6*10), 100 (10*10)
>
>Thanks.

0
roger1272 (620)
10/14/2005 4:15:30 PM

ATK wrote:

>I am looking for a formula that will allow me to apply one multiplier up
>to a certain sum and then a different multiplier after it hits that
>limit.
>
>For example, I have a column of numbers 1, 3, 5, 7, 10.  For the sum of
>the numbers until 10, I need to apply a multiplier of 2.  All sums after
>10, I need to apply a multiplier of 10.
>
>In this case, I would like the responding column to read 2 (2*1),
>6(2*3), 10(2*5), 62(2*1+6*10), 100 (10*10)
>
>Thanks.

0
roger1272 (620)
10/14/2005 4:55:04 PM
I guess my description was a little ambiguous.  When I say sum of th
numbers, I mean the sum of the numbers in the column.  So, for th
resulting value of 62, the sum of the first three numbers is 9.  Th
forth number in the column is 7.  So, 1 gets the multiplier of 2 and
gets a multiplier of 10 --> 2*1+6*10=62.

Make more sense now

--
AT
ATK's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2766
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=47625

number rounding in MS Excel

SpreadSheetML (XML for Excel)

Public Folder link to Excel File

Filters in Excel 2003

Excel Opens Without Displaying Workbook

Joining text with a formula in cell #4

Extending formulas
Subject: Extending formulas Hi, For my application that uses Excel for calculations. I need to be able to extend the forula base of Excell with complex scientifc functions. Is there a way to add new functions to the Excel function base? Thanks Spx. MS has provided Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) to customize Excel with new functions, commands, forms, menus, etc. Tools|Macro|Visual Basic Editor From the VBA editor Insert Module Then write your functions in VBA. Details of writting functions in VBA is a very big topic, http://www.fontstuff.com/vba/vbatut01.htm may help y...

printing imported gif files in Excel

ExCel programming

Need to add to current formula

Macro

Excel fun patch

Excel 2003

Need macro help to close excel

Excel Text Function (Right, Left)

copy chart from Excel to Powerpoint

Formula Problem?
I am using Excel 2000 with Windows XP. I am having a problem. I am on Sheet 2 of my workbook. I have SSN on a sheet named Employees in the same workbook. I need to take the numbers on the Employees Sheet and transfer it to the sheet 2. I know how to do this. It just won't work. This is a copy of my formula. =SUM(Employees!C3) This should take the SSN that is in the C3 cell on the employees sheet and place it at the cell where the formula is typed. When I put this formula in the cell I am getting just a "0". Please help. =Employees!C3 -- Kind regards, Niek Otten...

formula auditing/macro
Can anyone give me the sytax to goto - special - precedents so I can create a macro so I can assign to a hotkey and dont have to go through 4 steps ? Thanks, Yosef With A1=1 and D2=2*A1, and D1 as active cell: I recorded a macro for these steps: Edit|GoTo->Special->Precedence And the macro contained just one line: Selection.DirectPrecedents.Select best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "ynissel" <ynissel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DA544BDE-3717-4953-A5E3-06191BC28373@microsoft.com... > Can anyone...

Updating External Links Excel 2000 vs 2002/2003

How do I disable the handicapped feature in Excel?
Someone in my office turned the handicapped feature on and now you have to hold the key down for a couple of seconds or the letter never appears. Does anyone know how to reverse this? Duh! Nevermind. Not an Excel problem. Control Panel - Handicapped feature. Thanks. "TIrish" wrote: > Someone in my office turned the handicapped feature on and now you have to > hold the key down for a couple of seconds or the letter never appears. Does > anyone know how to reverse this? ...

SQL query / Formula for Reorder Point?