Excel Formula #12

I am trying to have text and a formula reside in teh same box with the
date in the format shown (23-May-04).  Here is as far as I get...

="Todays date is    "&TODAY()

and the results I get is

Todays date is    38131

Rick

Rick, here you go:

="Today's date is "& TEXT(TODAY(),"dd-mmm-yy")

--
DDM
"DDM's Microsoft Office Tips and Tricks"
Visit us at www.ddmcomputing.com

"Rick" <ricky.sather@si-intl.com> wrote in message
> I am trying to have text and a formula reside in teh same box with the
> date in the format shown (23-May-04).  Here is as far as I get...
>
> ="Todays date is    "&TODAY()
>
> and the results I get is
>
> Todays date is    38131
>
> Rick

0
DDMara (266)
5/24/2004 7:39:06 PM
Hi Rick,

Try,

="Today's date is "&TEXT(TODAY(),"d-mmm-yy")

Hope this helps!

In article <7c55e5aa.0405241127.3cebb0ab@posting.google.com>,
 ricky.sather@si-intl.com (Rick) wrote:

> I am trying to have text and a formula reside in teh same box with the
> date in the format shown (23-May-04).  Here is as far as I get...
>
> ="Todays date is    "&TODAY()
>
> and the results I get is
>
> Todays date is    38131
>
> Rick
0
domenic22 (716)
5/24/2004 7:42:18 PM
Or you could give that cell a custom format and just enter the date:

Try:
"Today's date is: "mm/dd/yyyy

As your custom format (Format|cells|number tab|custom category)

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

="This is a sample conversion - "&TEXT(NOW(),"dd mmmm yyyy")

Rick

Dave Peterson <ec35720@msn.com> wrote in message news:<40B28B65.A383C1EC@msn.com>...
> Or you could give that cell a custom format and just enter the date:
>
> Try:
> "Today's date is: "mm/dd/yyyy
>
> As your custom format (Format|cells|number tab|custom category)
>
> Rick wrote:
> >
> > I am trying to have text and a formula reside in teh same box with the
> > date in the format shown (23-May-04).  Here is as far as I get...
> >
> > ="Todays date is    "&TODAY()
> >
> > and the results I get is
> >
> > Todays date is    38131
> >
> > Rick
You had very similar solutions suggested, too:

http://google.com/groups?threadm=7c55e5aa.0405270707.b4c9ece%40posting.google.com
(one line in your browser)

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

Dan
"Rick" <ricky.sather@si-intl.com> wrote in message
> I am trying to have text and a formula reside in teh same box with the
> date in the format shown (23-May-04).  Here is as far as I get...
>
> ="Todays date is    "&TODAY()
>
> and the results I get is
>
> Todays date is    38131
>
> Rick

0
dchupinsky (19)

Very annoying behaviour of Excel 2003
Each time I am opening Excel, it is installing some component. This takes several minutes, and becomes very annoying. I recently had to reinstall XP and Office from the distribution CDs. I have the problem since then. It certainly has something to do with the install. Does anyone on this forum ever experienced such a behaviour. I am running Office 2003 on XP SP3. have you tried doing a repair in the help menu? -- Gary Keramidas Excel 2003 "Jean" <Jean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:020549D4-8070-46ED-8768-821EECD87C88@microsof...

My hide sheet option in excel is not working
My hide sheet option in Excel is not working. It is grayed out so I can not toggle nor use it to hide or unhide sheets. Security is at Medium - would appreciate any insight into how to fix this. Is the sheet protected? You cannot hide a protected sheet. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "arleen" <arleen @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D028B90F-6DDB-4DE6-9F5C-22C137FBE927@microsoft.com... > My hide sheet option in Excel is not working. It is grayed out > so I can not > toggle n...

Setting series values on Excel Chart

Excel template that lists each month's meetings w/ some detail
I'm looking for an Excel template that lists every month of the year with room to list weekly, monthly and quarterly meetings, including some detail for each meeting. Probably would need to be landscape oriented. The main intent is to give the person using it an idea of upcoming meetings, the intent of each and what prep is required. ...

How do I make a 'box and whisker plot' graph in Microsoft Excel?
I am in Year 12 and am doing a stats assignment. The project states that i MUST insert a box and whisker plot for some data, but i don't know how to do this. Does anybody know? Hi, Here are some sites on the topic of stats charting not just box and whisker. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/statscharts.html http://www.processtrends.com/toc_statistical_charts.htm http://tushar-mehta.com/publish_train/data_analysis/16.htm http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme/ExcelTips.htm Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "Year 12 student who needs help" &...

I've got a formula for stones and pounds
Hello, I've got a column that displays a series of weights in stones & pounds (both in the one cell). How do I get a chart to recognise and display in the same format? Regards, mikelenno What is the format of the cells with stone & pounds It is best to enter such values a 10 3/14 and format the cells with # ??/14 best wishes from one who is INT(275,14) stone & MOD(250,14) lbs -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "mikelenno" <mikelenno@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5AD608FA-5367-4CED-AD76-1F54228EFDBA...

Notes or comments in formula bar
Hello, I vaguely recall an article I read that mentioned I could insert a note or comment into the formula bar. Can someone tell me how to do that? I'm not talking about Insert-> Comment. Example: If I were to have A1+B1, there's a trick that will allow me to add a note within the formula bar such as "this formula adds apples and oranges." Thanks =A1+B1+N("Type Note Here") >-----Original Message----- >Hello, > >I vaguely recall an article I read that mentioned I could >insert a note or comment into the formula bar. Can >someone...

How do I set the number format to Base 12?
I would like to change the number format on my spreadsheet from Base 10 to Base 12, eg. 12 bottles makes up 1 case. Therefore, if I were adding up three different cells 9 bottles + 11 bottles + 6 bottles, my result should be 2 cases 2 bottles if possible 2.2 in a case column. See http://www.cpearson.com/excel/fractional.htm for details. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "Andrew Moore" <AndrewMoore@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:893CABE9-37D7-4E6B-8A7E-A5E679C8C824@microsoft.com... >...

Excel problem #3

IF / SUM
I have a spreadsheet with 17 rows, each representing a project name. In the columns, I have 2 cells for each week: Est and Actual. At the end of each row, I would like a row total for Est and another for Actual. As there are 20+ weeks represented, I cannot select the cells that have the criteria I'm looking for without using a more complex formula than SUM. Any ideas? The spreadsheet looks like this: Project Name Apr 3-9 Apr 10-16 Apr 17-23 Total Est | Actual Est | Actual Est | Actual E | A Project A 20 | 22 40 | 37 25 | 26 85...

Excel formulation to automate values
Hi there, I have a little problem on arranging a small multi-worksheet excel here. Let me explain in a short way then give some details on it. I am trying to make an offers recordsheet which has two worksheets in it. One for products(and their base prices) and an offer sheet. I would like to use a bit dynamic data here. So when I type the name of the product excel would give me the price from other worksheet. in details; Prices worksheet is something like: A B 1 Product BasePrice 2 mouse 5 3 keyboard 8 4 ... And the ...

Removing hidden mailto:s from Excel?
I received a spreadsheet attachment yesterday and found a mailto:(my address) embedded in a cell under a text string. It was evident in a tooltip that appeared when cell was hovered-over. I told the sender who now says that many of her spreadsheets - used to handle group memberships - have such hidden addresses. What terms would she use to search for these pests, either in My Docs or on opening each sheet? ...

Using Excel in Mac office 2004 with Microsoft/Mac 2008:Analysis toolpack
Although I am disappointed with Office 2008 for Mac because of the absent of Analysis toolpack, I figured things out quite recently that I can still install my Mac office 2004 and use the excel package that contains the Analysis tool pack. How? ...... let me show you: 1. Insert your CD for Mac office 2004 2. When it open on your desk top, two options will be given to you to download the software (a) Office set-up assistant, and (b) Microsoft office 2004. 3. CHOOSE MICROSOFT OFFICE 2004 (Drag the icon onto your desk top) and it will start to run/download. 4. When done, this will appear as ...

Script Errors 08-12-04
When launching CRM 1.2 through the web interface or through Outlook I am experiencing errors. This occurs on all the PCs on our network. CRM installed on Windows 2000 Advanced Server Client PCs running 2000 or XP Pro Browser IE6 with all updates. The main 3 I see are: Error #1 Line: 3 Char: 1 Error: Syntax Error Code: 0 URL: https://crm/home/home_home.aspx Error #2 Line: 104 Char: 1 Error: 'ORG_DATE_START_DAY' is undefined Code: 0 URL: https://crm/home/home_home.aspx Error #3 Line: 15 Char: 3 Error: 'ORG_DATE_FORMAT' is undefined Code: 0 URL: https://crm/home/home_home...

force excel to run in only one process excel.exe
force excel to run in only one process excel.exe, excel seems to want to make multiple excel.exe loaded into memory which causes mysheet.copy to fail so i have to close out the xls, kill all running excel.exe, then run the xls again and the macro works. i only have to do this when i am actively debugging a lot. if i just run my macro w/o opening the vba debugger, i can run it as much as i want, but if i run with break points it crashes a lot because of multiple excel.exe loaded into memory. perhaps there is a way i can force excel to only load one excel.exe? Daniel, Are you using Automatio...

Excel not displaying German characters correctly.
This is a real puzzler. Has our entire office and IT department stumped. We have two machines (M1 / M2) which are equal spec/ operating system, applications, versions, etc... The only difference that we can see between the two machines is that one (M1) has Internet Explorer encoding set to "UTF-8" with "Automatic" selected. The other (M2) has "Western European ISO" with no automatic selected. Now, when the machines log into a web application and choose to download a German Excel file, M1 and M2 get the file correctly if they have their encoding settings...

MS Excel Paste Special>Paste All
Using MS Excel 2003 Paste Special> Paste All, doesnt quite paste the 'Column Widths'. Am I always required to do the two step dance, Paste Special> Column Widths and Paste Special>All. >>Am I always required to do the two step dance Yes<g>. -- Jim "Excel User" <Excel User@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5D34ED9D-5BD6-43AD-8773-1EB7229309B2@microsoft.com... | Using MS Excel 2003 | | Paste Special> Paste All, doesnt quite paste the 'Column Widths'. Am I | always required to do the two step dance, Paste Special> ...

Formula for ageing debt
I'm trying to do a spreadsheet so that when I put a debt amount in the first column, after 10 days it will automatically move to the next column and move on every 10 days till a 60 days column where it gets added to any amount already there. Can anyone clue me up to a formula to do this? Thanks -- Barnie Gumble Esq You will have to devise a way to associate the date of initial entr with the entry itself, then it is relatively simple to do - could yo have a lookup table on a separate sheet that returned entry dates fo all amounts, BUT the amounts would have to be unique, ie n duplica...

formula to get sheet name
hi, can a formula retreive a worksheet name or does it need to be macro based? thanks, N.S. Hi Nigel, This formula that takes care of the possible situation whereby you have only one sheet in the workbook and its name is the same as the workbook's. Note: CELL("filename") will only work if the file has been saved at least once and if the file is opened in a different language system, the argument "filename" will need to be changed manually to the corresponding word (e.g. in Spanish "nombrearchivo"): =LOOKUP(REPT("z",255),SUBSTITUTE(MID(CE...

Personal.xls not hidden in Excel 2007?
Hi, When I open a spreadsheet in Excel 2007 my Personal.xls file opens too, in a separate window. (I get a separate "tab" in my task bar.) If I remember correctly from Excel 2003 the Personal.xls was actually hidden and didn't open, but the macros in it were made available to open worksheets. In any case, that is the behavior I would like. Is there a setting somewhere that makes the Personal.xls stay hidden? I've tried putting it in program files/.../xlstart and in application data/.../xlstart. I've also tried making it a .xlsb file. Thanks, Sam I haven't tried...

Why won't formulas obey vertical alignment commands?
I have a spreadsheet with numbers and text. Many numbers are derived from cell formulas. I can vertically align the text in all the cells in the numbers/text worksheet, but if I change the numbers to display formulas only, then the cell values automatically align at the bottom of the cell no matter what I have set the alignment to be. I just want to align the formulas at the tops of the cells so that I have room to write underneath them on a printed copy. Is this possible? Why not increase the Row height and write *above* them? -- HTH, RD =============================================...