Excel formatting #4

I am trying to sort a spreadsheet.  I want it to sort like this:

1112
1112a
1113

It will only sort:

112a

How do I fix this?
Thanks!
Lori

If you put an apostrophe in front of each number, it will allow you t
treat it as either text or a number when you sort (Excel will ask yo
how you want it treated)

Refresh Excel file
After refreshing an Excel file, does the record stay at the one you were working on or does it go back to the first record of the file? This doesn't seem like an Excel question. Maybe you could explain what you're trying to do. -- Jim Rech Excel MVP "excel dummy" <excel dummy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D3007EE5-7CC7-45F7-B6E0-BCAB71199012@microsoft.com... | After refreshing an Excel file, does the record stay at the one you were | working on or does it go back to the first record of the file? ...

Bar chart with a Percentage
I have a bar chart that has 4 vertical bars. On the 2nd and 4th bar I'd like to list the percentage it is of the 1st and 3rd bar, respectively. I already have labeled each bar with its numerical value and data name. Can I do this? If so, how? I've tried for about 2 hours now. Thanks in advance for any help! >-----Original Message----- >I have a bar chart that has 4 vertical bars. On the 2nd >and 4th bar I'd like to list the percentage it is of the >1st and 3rd bar, respectively. I already have labeled >each bar with its numerical value and data name....

tangent excel question
this isnt necessarily an excel question, but it is related in that i affects a spreadsheet im working on. ive been looking for a centerline symbol, but none of the fonts i hav installed seem to include this symbol. it is a blueprint / surveyin symbol that has a L superimposed by a c. i am using CL right now bu would like to use the actual symbol for aesthetics. is there a way i can make a custom symbol or does anyone know where can find a font that would include such a symbol? thank you. i lov excel. ^_ -- lsu-i-lik ---------------------------------------------------------------------...

How do I link Excel pages to a different master Excel workbook?
I am trying to take part lists from different assemblies and link them to a master part list. Ideally one sheet from the assembly part lists will have many pages and be linked to a sheet in the master part list with the name of that specific assembly. I am operating on Midrosoft Office Version 2003. open both the master and your part list on your master if you set a cell to (="name of part list book"!A1) you can do that by clicking any cell on the other workbook with them both open its just like a formula on the sheet only instead it has the workbooks name first i hope thi...

Graphing in Excel
Does anyone know any good graphing tutorials for excel??? I am havin difficulty graphing a dual line graph. I don't know the problem origin. Any help would be tremendous -- Mrinkli ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Mrinklin's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2536 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=38935 M, Get familiar with internet searches (like www.google.com). It's a good resource. A search for "excel chart tutorial" (w/o quotes) would find Jon Pel...

Excel 2007 Pivot Tables
1. How can I create a Pivot Table from a text file, downloaded from a mainframe database? I have been told this could be done in previous versions of Excel. 2. If I get a new text file each day, how can I refresh the existing Pivot Table, without the necessity of recreating Thank you very much Marsh Import the Text file into Excel. -- Regards Dave Hawley www.ozgrid.com "Marsh" <Marsh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1C480551-AE4D-4E31-B6DC-DF527E532091@microsoft.com... > 1. How can I create a Pivot Table from a text file, downlo...

Excel Function VLOOKUP
Hi, I'm having trouble looking up a table of "Names". The table deifene below is called ROL_IS and list hundred of other defined tables. Error where: =VLOOKUP(A33,VLOOKUP(CUR_MON,ROL_IS,3,FALSE),2,FALSE) but no errors where =VLOOKUP(A33,ACT_IS,2,FALSE) or =VLOOKUP(CUR_MON,ROL_IS,3,FALSE) ANS: ACT_IS The array function in VLOOKUP appears not to converting formula to NAME. If anyone knows or needs further details if would be appreciated. Thanks Elizabet -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com If I understand you correctly =VLOOKUP(A33,INDIRECT(VLOOKU...

Change the default color Excel 2007 uses to highlight selected cel
I'm using Excel 2007 and I'd like to change the default color Excel 2007 uses to highlight the selected cells in a worksheet. When selecting a range (ex. A1:D10). The selected range takes on a light transparent blue. Very hard to see when working in selected range. I've tried changing Office>Excel Options>Popular>Color Scheme - 3 colors to choose from (Blue, Silver, Black). This doesn't make a difference with the selection color at all. Also tried to change the Personalization>Appearance>Different Color Schemes with the Advanced option>Item areas, thi...

Have free download for Excel for viewing files only.
I have received a file in an email and I cannot view it because I don't have Excel. PowerPoint has a free download so that you can view a presentation. If Excel had this same option, people would be able to view a spreadsheet sent to them for free. If that person wanted to make any changes to the file, THEN they would need to purchase Excel. You can download XL viewer from here http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4EB83149-91DA-4110-8595-4A960D3E1C7C&displaylang=EN Watch for text wrap, Regards, "CJPrevette" <CJPrevette@discussions.microsoft.co...

Document Map Format Issue
I have a large document that has about 230 pages in it. As I built the document I would use the document map pane to help manage the document. As the document grew in size, I started to have problems with Document Map. If the Doc Map window was open when I attempted to open the my document, the document map would not contain the proper information with respect to my headings. All text in the doc map window is left justtified and it appears to be randomly including test in the document map that are not designated header styles. If I closed the doc map window then closed word, ...

Cell formatting behaviour question
Hey guys, I have 2 related cases that I dont understand how to get Excel formatting to work: 1. If I imported or copied rows of data (numerical) from another file (Word or Access) into Excel, the data is presented as raw numbers in each cell. Now I apply a formatting (i.e. I want comma separation for thousands, etc.) and it will not show up. However, if i then double-click inside a cell (as if to edit the contents directly), then hit enter the formatting I want shows up... but only that cell. I have hundreds of rows and I really need to force excel to display the formatting i want immediately...

Excel 2003 #4
Hope someone out there can help, I have lost the toolbars and menu bars in Excel, at first I thought it was showing full screen but it wasn't I then tried to Alt/V to bring up the view menu but again nothing. Have re-installed Excel but still not showing, can anyone help me with this please. And you're sure that the window isn't just too far up and off the visible viewing area--so all that you would need to do is resize that window? If you can see excel's application title bar, then this isn't the problem. If you want to reset all the toolbars back to factory default...

crm 4.0 mui packs performance question
does installing MUI packs on the server and office client affects the performance of the crm server? any review or document on this matter? While I have not seen any official data on the subject, I would be surprised if it had much effect. Installing (and provisioning) a MUI pack does essentially 3 things: 1. Installs the resource assembly 2. Adds strings to the database (LocalizedLabel) 3. Adds language specific templates for email and kb articles. 1 should have no effect, 2 and 3 above will have a small affect due more data in the tables, but it should not be much. "Benjamin ...

Accessing Excel pages using VB
Hi. I'm wondering if any of you can help me with a problem I'm having. It's likely a trivial answer, but I'm not seeing it at the moment. I'm using VB 6.0 and Excel 2002. I have an Excel workbook that has information about days of the month -- each day having an individual spreadsheet 'Day (1)', 'Day (2)', etc. as tabs along the bottom of the workbook. I want to be able to access information from individual "days" using a VB application and do some processing and then printing of the data in VB. First of all, when addressing data on spre...

Converting access report to pdf format
hi I wrote a database that, among other things, prints a variety of reports for my clients. Once each report is done, I run a program called pdfWriter to convert each report to a pdf file. (When this program is installed, I select the printer called pdfWriter then print the file. It doesn't actually print a physical copy but saves the file in pdf format.) Then I e-mail these pdf reports to the clients. What I'm looking for are ways that I could automate this process from Access. Can this be done? If so, could someone point me in the right direction. Any clues would be grea...

Distorted Print Preview in Excel 2007
All of the sudden Print Preview and printing is distorted as compared to the chart as displayed during design. Verticle grid lines are missing and the horizontal axis appears to be log. ...

Saving #4
Can someone please tell me the reason that if you save a 97 version spreadsheet as an (for eg) 2000 version that you cannot open the file on a machine that has Office 97 installed. Please don't worry about being technical. Many thanks Andy If you just save as an xls file you should be able to use of both versions except for any 2000 features not supported on 97. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Andy Gee" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ea8401c43d0a$0abf4110$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Can someone please tell me the reason tha...

Changing how Excel INTERPRETS dates
Anybody know how to change the way Excel interprets dates? For the lif of me I can't remember. I don't just mean reformatting a cell. I mean if one would typ "8/11/04" Excel would read this as November 08, 2004 and not August 11 2004. Any hope would be much appreciated, Dav -- dgreenfiel ----------------------------------------------------------------------- dgreenfield's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1629 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27689 Hi this is defined in your Windows - Region...

Outlook Connector #4
Will outlook Connector work with MSN set up as a POP3 account or will it only work as the HTML type? I am able to set it up as pop3 (incoming server: pop3.live.com, outgoing server: smtp.live.com) and it goes into my normal inbox. When it is set us as HTML, it gives me a whole other set of folders, so I have to copy contacts, calendar etc from my default "Personal Items" folder, over to my "MSN Account" folders to sync with OL-Connector. I suppose I could just try it out but I believe I would have to delete the current HTML style account first and I don't want to ...

Excel Formula 02-06-10
I Need a Formula which can tell me eg. on seperate wotksheet a report of which product is chipset and from which suppliers.Thanks for any help I get. A B C 1 Product 1 Supplier 2 £10.00 2 Product 2 Supplier 1 £8.00 3 Product 3 Supplier 2 £8.00 4 Product 2 Supplier 2 £6.00 5 Product 1 Supplier 2 £11.00 6 Product 3 Supplier 1 £7.00 Farid, I think you mean:- cheapest - and not chipset. "Farid" wrote: > I Need a Formula which can tell me eg. on seperate wotksheet a report of > which product is chipset and from which ...

Converting Publisher Files to PDF Format
When I try to convert Publisher files to PDF format I get a message that says "The size of the paper you have chosen is too small to show the printer markings", but when my commercial printing guy takes my same Publisher files and converts them, it works. What am I doing wrong. I've already talked to Adobe and they think that my Acrobat Distiller is set up properly. I have Adobe Acrobat 6.0 Standard, Windows XP Professional, Publisher 2003 and an IBM desktop with 260 gigabytes of memory ediejensen wrote: > When I try to convert Publisher files to PDF format I get a mess...

Excel macro deployment
Hi I have been deploying Excel macro to workstations using an MSI. The MSI creates a folder under program folders and drops the xla files in the folder. The installer also sets a registry value. When the user opens Excel, the macros begin. This works fine for Excel 2003. What do I need to do to properly install Macros under Excel 2007 and Excel 2010? Thanks ...

Importing to access from excel
I understand that access uses the first 15 rows of an imported excel sheet to determine whether the access field is numerical or text. I have a worksheet with a date column, and columns that contain both numbers and text entries (in the form of less than values e.g.<1). Therefore the date column cannot be changed to text or number otherwise it looses the correct format. And although the numbers can be changed to text in excel they are only recognised as numbers in access. The only way I have found to get the all the information across from excel into access without error values (e...

How do I change the category axis number formatting in a Pivot Ch.
I have created a Pivot Chart from Excel data (Excel 2000) and I need to figure out how to change the category axis number formatting. Currently, the dates in the chart are showing up in long form (01/01/2005) and I would like to change this to something shorter like 1/01. I changed the formatting of the data in the original raw data and then in the Pivot Table, but neither of these seemed to change the Pivot Chart formatting. When I right click on the category axis, I do not get the option the change the number formatting (I do for the value axis however). ...

Excel 2007
In Excel 2002 I built a simple line chart with 3 series, date bottom axis - the source date table was a huge worksheet of 1000 lines and 30 columns, but and my chart used 3 contiguous columns plus a non-contiguous date column. To update the chart daily, i simply added the new line to the worksheet, extended my selection box to cover that line and the chart was done. I had set up legend titles that were not the same as the related column titles. Now that I have converted to Excel 2007, none of this works - when I try to update the series data, the chart melts into one line and I lose ...