Excel fails to save properly

I have a daily exercise in which I copy a web-based datagrid and paste it
into an Excel workbook.  It's typically up to 6,000 rows +/- and 15 columns
wide.  It takes a while to paste.  After that I block format remove
text-wrap and adjust row height and column widths to fit, change the
worksheet tab to a description name, then attempt to SAVE AS
"XXXX_YYYY-MM-DD.XLS".

At this point the worksheet usually becomes unresponsive but not always.  If
I close Excel and then reopen it, the recovered file can eventually be
repaired and saved.

Is this a known problem?  I suspect that it may have something to do with
non-visible html.

Are there any techniques to do this process faster and reliably?

George - Houston

George,

I would use the Clean function and Trim functions on the data.
Remove all formatting, including any merged cells.
Save the file.
Then do your thing.

Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"Rolls" <BillyBubba@LittleRock.Gov> wrote in message news:426931e9$0$64583$a726171b@news.hal-pc.org...
> I have a daily exercise in which I copy a web-based datagrid and paste it
> into an Excel workbook.  It's typically up to 6,000 rows +/- and 15 columns
> wide.  It takes a while to paste.  After that I block format remove
> text-wrap and adjust row height and column widths to fit, change the
> worksheet tab to a description name, then attempt to SAVE AS
> "XXXX_YYYY-MM-DD.XLS".
>
> At this point the worksheet usually becomes unresponsive but not always.  If
> I close Excel and then reopen it, the recovered file can eventually be
> repaired and saved.
>
> Is this a known problem?  I suspect that it may have something to do with
> non-visible html.
>
> Are there any techniques to do this process faster and reliably?
>
> George - Houston

0
jim.coneXXX (771)

How do I create a sample in Excel?

Excel 97 Win XP calc problem?

Proper Table(s) Layout
I have created a couple of Dbs which the table structure seemed to simply fall into place, it was just logical in my head. That said, I am working on a new db and for some reason I am doubting myself and wanted a second opinion. The db is basically a contract db to input all the info, and there is a lot of info, for each contract. Where I am 'lost' is the fact that the contracts are broken into categories: clients, components,engineering, warantee... For all of the components (with the exception of clients) there are a number of fields but only 1 entry per contract....

Date display in Excel

Excel and some disappeared sheets

Errors saving to network drive

Saving toolbar changes

Excel 2007 PC damages Mac Excel 2008 Files

Publisher can not save file

SQL Server Connection Failed
Hi everybody, this is my scenario: 1. Windows Server 2008 2. WSS 3.0 + MOSS 2007 3. SQL Server 2008. i'm having this problem: "Login failed for user 'sa'. Reason: An error occurred while evaluating the password. [CLIENT: 72.55.191.137]". in this momment i can't see any application from sharepoint. somebody knows how can i do? i don't change the sa password. i don't change anything in the sharepoint configuration. since two days ago i'm having this problem. pls, is very urgent, because i have to deliver this server the next monday to the...

Saving #5
Is there a way of speeding up saves in excel or a way to condense the size of a workbook. Jason, This link can help with the size issue... http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlfaqApp.html#Unused Item 2d is the one you want. Regards, Jim Cone San Francisco, USA "Jason Zischke" <JasonZischke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:18CCEA1F-2479-4ED9-A5F6-21B781D0F403@microsoft.com... > Is there a way of speeding up saves in excel or a way to condense the size of > a workbook. ...

Excel error 1706

Mail merge from excel
I am trying to merge a list of names from excel into publisher. When using the mail merge wizard it wont let me load the names all it says is f1 and f2. what am I doing wrong? any help is greatly appreciated. ...

Excel Jululian 04-24-10
Good morning please help i have a lists of names and i want to separate each in a colum like You Light Up My Life197711 You Light Up My Life (in one colum "A") 1977 (in one colum "B") 1 (in one colum "C") 1 (in one colum "E") regards First many thanks on your reply the text are different in length regards "מיכאל (מיקי) אבידן" wrote: > 'Data' > 'Text to Columns' > 'Next' > mark/un-mark the vertical separators as > shown in the picture > 'Finish' >...

Opening Excel email attachments
When downloading excel files AOL says cannot find suitable program.I then go online to find Excel but only get Uopdates. PC is XP version with Works Suite 2002. A fe months back my dear wife was downloading Excel an got board with waiting and shut down the PC! Any suggestions. Thanks Karl Hi there's no legal way to download Excel!! You have to buy< an Excel version and install it on your PC (or try to open the file with MS Works - but live with the restricted functionality) >-----Original Message----- >When downloading excel files AOL says cannot find >suitable progra...