Excel enters date as a text format

Hi, I have Excel 2003 and have been working with 2000 for a while (hate that
new feature with error checking,etc.)

Anyways, I have a problem when trying to enter a date (ie. entering as
2/15/2005 or 2-15-2005) it's always entering it as a text format (ie.
'2/15/2005).

Well, this is leaving a problem with me because I can't change it to a
different date format now because it's recognizing it as a text instead of a
date.

I never had this problem with Excel 2000, I just entering the date and it
automatically enters it as a date.  What the heck is going on with Excel 2003
(so far I'm not impressed that even a little thing as entering a date
Microsoft manages to complicate it)
0
Kane (153)

Hi Kane

Look if the cells are format as Text
Select the cells and use Ctrl-1

Change it to general

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"Kane" <Kane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E1D57371-9FC6-4E76-8617-B2CA96B4C7E4@microsoft.com...
> Hi, I have Excel 2003 and have been working with 2000 for a while (hate that
> new feature with error checking,etc.)
>
> Anyways, I have a problem when trying to enter a date (ie. entering as
> 2/15/2005 or 2-15-2005) it's always entering it as a text format (ie.
> '2/15/2005).
>
> Well, this is leaving a problem with me because I can't change it to a
> different date format now because it's recognizing it as a text instead of a
> date.
>
> I never had this problem with Excel 2000, I just entering the date and it
> automatically enters it as a date.  What the heck is going on with Excel 2003
> (so far I'm not impressed that even a little thing as entering a date
> Microsoft manages to complicate it)

0
rondebruin (3790)
3/22/2005 5:24:40 PM
And to fix the ones already done, select it, hit Ctrl-Shift-#, then hit F2
end Enter.

--

HTH

RP

"Ron de Bruin" <rondebruin@kabelfoon.nl> wrote in message
> Hi Kane
>
> Look if the cells are format as Text
> Select the cells and use Ctrl-1
>
> Change it to general
>

> --
> Regards Ron de Bruin
> http://www.rondebruin.nl
>

> "Kane" <Kane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi, I have Excel 2003 and have been working with 2000 for a while (hate
that
> > new feature with error checking,etc.)
> >
> > Anyways, I have a problem when trying to enter a date (ie. entering as
> > 2/15/2005 or 2-15-2005) it's always entering it as a text format (ie.
> > '2/15/2005).
> >
> > Well, this is leaving a problem with me because I can't change it to a
> > different date format now because it's recognizing it as a text instead
of a
> > date.
> >
> > I never had this problem with Excel 2000, I just entering the date and
it
> > automatically enters it as a date.  What the heck is going on with Excel
2003
> > (so far I'm not impressed that even a little thing as entering a date
> > Microsoft manages to complicate it)

0
bob.phillips1 (6510)
3/22/2005 6:21:02 PM
Kane

Perhaps your Regional Options Short Date setting is dd/mm/yyyy.

If that is the case then 15/2/2005 would be a date and 2/15/2005 is text.

Either learn to enter dates in that format or change the Regional Options to
mm/dd/yyyy

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 09:11:04 -0800, "Kane" <Kane@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Hi, I have Excel 2003 and have been working with 2000 for a while (hate that
>new feature with error checking,etc.)
>
>Anyways, I have a problem when trying to enter a date (ie. entering as
>2/15/2005 or 2-15-2005) it's always entering it as a text format (ie.
>'2/15/2005).
>
>Well, this is leaving a problem with me because I can't change it to a
>different date format now because it's recognizing it as a text instead of a
>date.
>
>I never had this problem with Excel 2000, I just entering the date and it
>automatically enters it as a date.  What the heck is going on with Excel 2003
>(so far I'm not impressed that even a little thing as entering a date
>Microsoft manages to complicate it)

0
Gord