Excel Document of 2.5mb takes up to 20min to open up

Finally I have found the cure, basically it was caused by a corrupted
EMF file which used up to 100% of a CPU and the Spooler is in a never
ending loop.

Fix:

1) Do a search for *.emf files (they will be found in the Temp
directory)
2) If there are any then this is probably the cause - delete them all
3) Boot to an alternate install of NT and delete the *.shd and *.spl
file from the Spool folder.
4) If you have a multi-processor, you can pause the printer and delete
the files.

After deleting all the *.emf files, which took me almost 15min (20000
files) I tested the Excel doc and it opened up within 10 seconds as
opposed to 20-25min

Reason:

A corrupted enhanced meta file (EMF) record embedded within the print
stream can cause the Spooler to enter an infinite loop. This uses all
the CPU time for a single processor machine and prevents the print job
from completing - or in my case cause an Excel doc of approx 2.5mb,
25min to open up and causing all other apps to run very slow or hang.
0
mossop (1)

You can also just go to Start -> Run -> %TEMP%, and delete all of th
files there.  You don't really need any of them.  A good clean up ca
be found here. . .

http://www.theofficeexperts.com/cleanyourpc.ht

--
firefyt

firefytr's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=664
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26566

formatting dates by year #2
I would like to know if there is a way to format dates so that they are formatted by year only. For example, if I click on Format -> Cells, there are a bunch of options, but none of them list to show the year only, just mm/dd/yy or mm/yy, etc. I am trying to create a chart so that only the year shows up. Also, I have tried doing Custom->and "yyyy" in type, but only 1 specific year shows up (i.e. 1905) for all the values. I would like to keep my values. Thanks much! ...

More Columns #2

Looking for Excel Help

New to excel

owa cant open ppt attachments

Excel button problem

Excel 97 #9

Linking files 2 ways

cannot open hyper links in outlook

learning Excel #3

Goal Seek #2

Contacts in Exchange #2

Document Template question
It's legal for a document to have multiple views into it's data, but when CMultiDocTemplate is created, it is only passed one runtime view class. How are multiple views handled in the document template context? Should all views of your document be derived from the class passed to CMultiDocTemplate? This is confusing me because MDI AppWizard did the work of setting up a document view class for me, but now I'm just using a child window with an imbedded static splitter window to show two different views of my document, and these views have nothing to do with CMyProjectView that...

Offline Synchronization Problem #2

Document Viewer installer error

Excel VBA