Excel docs won't open from clicking file

I have a strange issue us Excel 2002.  When I double-click on an excel
document it only open the excel program and not the doc.  I can then
go to file|open and open it just fine and work on it etc.  Excel seems
to be OK other than this strange issue.  Word and the other office
programs don't do this at all???
I have checked and verified all folder options | files types, their
associated open commands etc.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks-

Hi

Have a look at Tools/Option/General and uncheck 'Ignore other applications'
if it's checked.

Andy.

"jayman" <jay.montana@dciinc.org> wrote in message
> I have a strange issue us Excel 2002.  When I double-click on an excel
> document it only open the excel program and not the doc.  I can then
> go to file|open and open it just fine and work on it etc.  Excel seems
> to be OK other than this strange issue.  Word and the other office
> programs don't do this at all???
> I have checked and verified all folder options | files types, their
> associated open commands etc.
>
> Any ideas would be greatly appreciated,
>
> Thanks-

0
andyb1 (494)
4/8/2004 2:32:29 PM
Hi Jayman!

Double clicking on files from within Explorer or attached to e-mails
should cause Excel to start and to load the file. Often this fails.
Excel starts but the file is not loaded. However, with Excel open the
file may load with a normal double click and / or it can be opened
from within Excel by the normal File > Open method.

Most likely fix for this problem is from within Excel:

Tools > Options > General

Uncheck "Ignore other Applications"

OK

Close Excel and try again

If this doesn't work try to re-register Excel in the Registry using
the following routine.

Close Excel
On the Windows Taskbar
Start > Run

Type the following exactly including the space between exe and /

excel.exe /regserver

OK.

You might have to designate a full path to the excel.exe file

You�ll have to locate the Excel.exe file using

Start > Search > For Files and Folders

Search for the excel.exe file and note down its location

Then

Start > Run

Type the regserver command using the path you found.

C:\yourpath\excel.exe /regserver

If you have multiple versions of Excel installed you will have a
choice of which version to use as the default.

--
Regards
Norman Harker MVP (Excel)
"jayman" <jay.montana@dciinc.org> wrote in message
>I have a strange issue us Excel 2002.  When I double-click on an
>excel
> document it only open the excel program and not the doc.  I can then
> go to file|open and open it just fine and work on it etc.  Excel
> seems
> to be OK other than this strange issue.  Word and the other office
> programs don't do this at all???
> I have checked and verified all folder options | files types, their
> associated open commands etc.
>
> Any ideas would be greatly appreciated,
>
> Thanks-

0
njharker (1646)
4/8/2004 2:34:07 PM
Hi
try the following:
goto 'Tools-Options-General " and uncheck "Ignore other Applications"
Exit Excel and try again

If this doesn't work try to re-register Excel

1. Close Excel first and
2. On the Windows Taskbar
2.1 Start>Run "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)>OK.
2.2 Start>Run "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)>OK.

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

"jayman" <jay.montana@dciinc.org> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> I have a strange issue us Excel 2002.  When I double-click on an
excel
> document it only open the excel program and not the doc.  I can then
> go to file|open and open it just fine and work on it etc.  Excel
seems
> to be OK other than this strange issue.  Word and the other office
> programs don't do this at all???
> I have checked and verified all folder options | files types, their
> associated open commands etc.
>
> Any ideas would be greatly appreciated,
>
> Thanks-

0
frank.kabel (11126)
4/8/2004 2:35:29 PM
Try this jayman

Tools>Options>General  uncheck "Ignore other Applications"
Exit Excel and try again

If this doesn't work try to re-register Excel

Close Excel first and
On the Windows Taskbar

1 ) Start>Run "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)>OK.
(unregserver is not always needed)
2) Start>Run "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)>OK.
See the space between exe and /regserver

You might have to designate a full path to excel.exe.
In that case Start>Run "C:\yourpath\excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)>OK.

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"jayman" <jay.montana@dciinc.org> wrote in message news:405053ea.0404080629.4d595e5c@posting.google.com...
> I have a strange issue us Excel 2002.  When I double-click on an excel
> document it only open the excel program and not the doc.  I can then
> go to file|open and open it just fine and work on it etc.  Excel seems
> to be OK other than this strange issue.  Word and the other office
> programs don't do this at all???
> I have checked and verified all folder options | files types, their
> associated open commands etc.
>
> Any ideas would be greatly appreciated,
>
> Thanks-

0