Excel cell problem #2

I have a workbook I have created (I am a novice), which for some reason, when 
I want to add or delete a cell in ANY column, I no longer have the option to 
shift cells up or down, it will only allow me to shift the entire row up or 
down. Anyone have any idea what I am doing wrong here? I have some formulas 
set up to keep counts for me, nothing real special. Thanks in advance.
-- 
Thanks Steve 
0
Steve3367 (862)
10/4/2005 8:30:01 PM
excel.misc 78881 articles. 5 followers. Follow

5 Replies
232 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 25

Have you applied Data|filter to that worksheet?

Try data|filter|show all
(to see everything)

then try it out.

Steve wrote:
> 
> I have a workbook I have created (I am a novice), which for some reason, when
> I want to add or delete a cell in ANY column, I no longer have the option to
> shift cells up or down, it will only allow me to shift the entire row up or
> down. Anyone have any idea what I am doing wrong here? I have some formulas
> set up to keep counts for me, nothing real special. Thanks in advance.
> --
> Thanks Steve

-- 

Dave Peterson
0
petersod (12004)
10/4/2005 9:44:00 PM
Hi Dave,

Show all is grayed out. I tryed it highlighting the worksheet and just one 
column, both of which have "show all" grayed out. Any other options you can 
think of?
-- 
Thanks Steve 


"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> Have you applied Data|filter to that worksheet?
> 
> Try data|filter|show all
> (to see everything)
> 
> then try it out.
> 
> Steve wrote:
> > 
> > I have a workbook I have created (I am a novice), which for some reason, when
> > I want to add or delete a cell in ANY column, I no longer have the option to
> > shift cells up or down, it will only allow me to shift the entire row up or
> > down. Anyone have any idea what I am doing wrong here? I have some formulas
> > set up to keep counts for me, nothing real special. Thanks in advance.
> > --
> > Thanks Steve
> 
> -- 
> 
> Dave Peterson
> 
0
Steve3367 (862)
10/4/2005 10:11:03 PM
Is the worksheet protected?

If you're using xl2002+, the worksheet can be protected, but still allow the
users to delete/insert rows or columns.

Tools|Protection
If you see "Unprotect sheet"

Then maybe that's it!


Steve wrote:
> 
> Hi Dave,
> 
> Show all is grayed out. I tryed it highlighting the worksheet and just one
> column, both of which have "show all" grayed out. Any other options you can
> think of?
> --
> Thanks Steve
> 
> "Dave Peterson" wrote:
> 
> > Have you applied Data|filter to that worksheet?
> >
> > Try data|filter|show all
> > (to see everything)
> >
> > then try it out.
> >
> > Steve wrote:
> > >
> > > I have a workbook I have created (I am a novice), which for some reason, when
> > > I want to add or delete a cell in ANY column, I no longer have the option to
> > > shift cells up or down, it will only allow me to shift the entire row up or
> > > down. Anyone have any idea what I am doing wrong here? I have some formulas
> > > set up to keep counts for me, nothing real special. Thanks in advance.
> > > --
> > > Thanks Steve
> >
> > --
> >
> > Dave Peterson
> >

-- 

Dave Peterson
0
petersod (12004)
10/4/2005 10:24:20 PM
Nope, checked that too. There is no protection on the workbook or worksheet. 
I am stumped.
-- 
Thanks Steve 


"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> Is the worksheet protected?
> 
> If you're using xl2002+, the worksheet can be protected, but still allow the
> users to delete/insert rows or columns.
> 
> Tools|Protection
> If you see "Unprotect sheet"
> 
> Then maybe that's it!
> 
> 
> Steve wrote:
> > 
> > Hi Dave,
> > 
> > Show all is grayed out. I tryed it highlighting the worksheet and just one
> > column, both of which have "show all" grayed out. Any other options you can
> > think of?
> > --
> > Thanks Steve
> > 
> > "Dave Peterson" wrote:
> > 
> > > Have you applied Data|filter to that worksheet?
> > >
> > > Try data|filter|show all
> > > (to see everything)
> > >
> > > then try it out.
> > >
> > > Steve wrote:
> > > >
> > > > I have a workbook I have created (I am a novice), which for some reason, when
> > > > I want to add or delete a cell in ANY column, I no longer have the option to
> > > > shift cells up or down, it will only allow me to shift the entire row up or
> > > > down. Anyone have any idea what I am doing wrong here? I have some formulas
> > > > set up to keep counts for me, nothing real special. Thanks in advance.
> > > > --
> > > > Thanks Steve
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> > > Dave Peterson
> > >
> 
> -- 
> 
> Dave Peterson
> 
0
Steve3367 (862)
10/4/2005 10:51:08 PM
I'm out of ideas.

Steve wrote:
> 
> Nope, checked that too. There is no protection on the workbook or worksheet.
> I am stumped.
> --
> Thanks Steve
> 
> "Dave Peterson" wrote:
> 
> > Is the worksheet protected?
> >
> > If you're using xl2002+, the worksheet can be protected, but still allow the
> > users to delete/insert rows or columns.
> >
> > Tools|Protection
> > If you see "Unprotect sheet"
> >
> > Then maybe that's it!
> >
> >
> > Steve wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Dave,
> > >
> > > Show all is grayed out. I tryed it highlighting the worksheet and just one
> > > column, both of which have "show all" grayed out. Any other options you can
> > > think of?
> > > --
> > > Thanks Steve
> > >
> > > "Dave Peterson" wrote:
> > >
> > > > Have you applied Data|filter to that worksheet?
> > > >
> > > > Try data|filter|show all
> > > > (to see everything)
> > > >
> > > > then try it out.
> > > >
> > > > Steve wrote:
> > > > >
> > > > > I have a workbook I have created (I am a novice), which for some reason, when
> > > > > I want to add or delete a cell in ANY column, I no longer have the option to
> > > > > shift cells up or down, it will only allow me to shift the entire row up or
> > > > > down. Anyone have any idea what I am doing wrong here? I have some formulas
> > > > > set up to keep counts for me, nothing real special. Thanks in advance.
> > > > > --
> > > > > Thanks Steve
> > > >
> > > > --
> > > >
> > > > Dave Peterson
> > > >
> >
> > --
> >
> > Dave Peterson
> >

-- 

Dave Peterson
0
petersod (12004)
10/4/2005 11:52:21 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Store Operations crashes when viewing journal (F4) on register 2.
We have two registers, register 1 is the main machine where the database is located and register 2 is networked into it. Whenever you try to view the journal (F4) on register 2, the program crashes and gives this message just before closing: Run-time error '-2147417848 (80010108)': Automation error The object invoked has disconnected from its clients. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem may be? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Install a default windows printer on register 2 - even if it's just something like the print to fax or MS Office Document...

if cell starts with characters formula
Hi I need to count cells in a column starting with certain characters. each cell's data varies in length. I have tried with @countif( but does not work if the cell contains other characters after the "prefix". eg. row 20 cell 5 apples row 21 cell 5 apples red row 22 cell 5 apples green row 23 cell 5 plums green row 23 cell 5 plums purple totals required for apples = 3 (regardless of colour) total required for plums = 2 (regardless of colour) @countif(C20:c30,"plums") gives answer of 1 require answer of 2 @countif(C20:c30,&quo...

How to export Notes to Excel
Hi all, I would like to export notes contacts with their associated notes. How do i do this in crm 4.0 as i dont see the notes column to add on my view? Thanks -- phumulaniluyandacollinlembede Navigate to Advanced Find and select 'Notes', then export as necessary/appropriate.... -- Fortis www.webfortis.com "Phumulani" wrote: > Hi all, > > I would like to export notes contacts with their associated notes. How do i > do this in crm 4.0 as i dont see the notes column to add on my view? > > Thanks > -- > phumulaniluyandacollinlembede ...

Rollup 2 and Office 2007
I already have Roll Up 1 and the Office 2007 compatibility patch installed. If I now install roll up 2 will I have to reinstall the office 2007 compatibility? yes -- Regards, MS CRM Certified Professional http://microsoftcrm3.blogspot.com Chat with me on MSN / Gmail / Skype : ID Is :.. mscrmexpert@gmail.com "LLoyd" wrote: > I already have Roll Up 1 and the Office 2007 compatibility patch installed. > If I now install roll up 2 will I have to reinstall the office 2007 > compatibility? ...

Microsoft POS #2
I have a group of customers that I am working on setting up A bundled POS system for. I have looked at RMS and Microsoft POS. The customer's are small bulk food stores. They package all of the bulk food in various containers and weigh it with a Hobart scale producing a label with an system 2 price enbedded barcode. These are UPC A formats. They are for the most part simple single store installs and donot require the complex RMS system. I have setup the Microsoft POS version 2.0 and found it will work perfect for these customers. The only problem when you programed the system you l...

Outlook 2003 keeps crashing #2
I get this message when I look in System information. Outlook keeps crashing quite often. I cannot for example delete two messages without outlook crashing. My colleagues do not have this problem. We are using the Microsoft mail exhange server. Faulting application outlook.exe, version 11.0.5510.0, stamp 3f1380f0, faulting module mso.dll, version 11.0.5606.0, stamp 3f334cce, debug? 0, fault address 0x003b6e16. Does anyone has a solution?=20 Best regards/ Bj=F6rn 1) I would definitely apply Service Pack 2for Office 2003 + applicable critical security updates. 2) Have you tried starting O...

Lookup based on criteria in 2 columns
Hi, I am trying to use a vlookup or other function to return the value in the amount column based on the location and date. Here is a sample of my data: Location Date Amount 101 9/15/8 10 101 9/16/8 20 101 9/17/8 15 102 9/15/8 50 102 9/16/8 75 102 9/17/8 67 For example if I wanted to return the amount for location 102 on 9/15/8, what formula would I use? I tried using variations of vlookups but had no luck. Thanks, =SUMPRODUCT(--(A2:A50=102),--(B2:B50=DATE(2008,9,15)),C2:C50) -- Regards, Peo Sjo...

Auto-format in Microsoft Excel.
Each time i try to enter a number range, for example, 8- 10, in Excel, it constantly re-formats it to a date. If I change the formatting to "General" it turns it into a random number, usually 38209. I would like to turn off ALL auto-formatting, but that's probably asking too much. How do I disable this frustrating feature? thanks. Hi Paul When you enter "8-10" in a cell, that's not strictly a number but Excel thinks you mean a date so converts it as such. A date is a number and in your example the number 38209 represents August 10 2004 which is not a ra...

move cell contents
Is there a way to move a cell contents to another cell with a formula. ex: if a5="Name" then move g5 to j5? Also, I am using =INDEX(Sheet1!B3:B12,INT((RAND()*10)+1),1) to pick random names from a list. I have the formula in different place pick random names from different list. This does work, but I have different list with some of the same names and with the random pick I do not want the same name to appear. -- Thanks for any and all help. Davidl Hi David a formula can only affect the cell it is in, it can't move or change another cell for this you need some code ...

Excel not Access
I have designed an Access database that holds records relating to my stores audit results going back for about 5 years plus a load more information relating to these stores. This was used to produe a pack once a month, however a change in senior management means that I have got to shelve this and prodce a similar pack in Excel. The idea would be that the user could select a month or a 12 mnth date range that would produce data that could then be used to populate a number of excel templates that have been designed. Having not used excel for years I would be grateful for any suggestion...

How to keep format when importing Excel into SQL.
Can anybody help me please? When I import Excel file into SQL, a field that formated as 0000000000 (custom), loosing leading zeros. I tried to change data type in SQL after importing. No luck. I appretiate any help. See if using IMEX=1 helps: http://pratchev.blogspot.com/2007/10/importing-excel-data-into-sql-server.html -- Plamen Ratchev http://www.SQLStudio.com Plamen, I tried this, but got an error: "The OLE DB provider "Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0" has not been registered." Thank you very much for looking into this. "Plamen Ratchev" wr...

Exchange update problem
I have tried to upgrade exch2k3 sp1 to sp2, but the update fails with "the file pcproxy.dll is in use, and setup cannot identify the app or srvc. setup cannot continue" Any clues/ideas/suggestions? Please. -- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This message has been checked for all known viruses. The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments is confidential and may be the subject of legal, professional or other privilege. It is intended for the named addressee only and may not ...

visible cell only
I'd like to use the PERCENTILE function in a list that has been autofiltered and get the results based only on the visible cells. I've used SUBTOTAL in order to get count, average, min and max. But I need to get the .25 and .75 percentile figures for the filtered data (visible cells only). I've scoured these forums. I've scoured the web. I've found some vba code that was supposed to select only visible cells but it doesn't work for me. I posted last week in the programming section of these forums (and again this morning) but got no reply. I figure...

Using part of a cell in a chart title
I have a chart which should get a title. However, this should be partly be used from a cell e.g. "counted with 5%" 5% should be taken from the cell and used in the title. Is this possible? Hi, Yes it's possible but all of the chart title needs to be in the cell. So you may need to use a helper cell and concatenate text and value. http://www.andypope.info/tips/tip001.htm Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "Nicole" <Nicole@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5CB7A971-AA7F-4C34-BB42-7DC283AA2958@micro...

Input Excel 'Password to Open' through control in access form
Hi All, We know,Excel has prompt password to open it files. Is it possible to create a code that can supplies the excel prompt password?.So that when we open the excel file through our access control in a form, the excel files can be opened automatically.But when the excel files opened from its default icon,it will prompt a password first. ...

Excel 2007
When I select cells to copy as a picture in Excel 2007, the resolution is terrible. Text and objects with shadow's are very blotchy when pasting the picture. How do you change the resolution of a 'Copy Picture'? ...

SQL deadlock problem
I am currently having a big issue with sql deadlocking on the PrincipalObjectAccess table. The last few months I have been working on a synchronization process using a Biztalk orchestration. The sync uses the crm webservices to create and update account and contact records in CRM. But now deployment to the production environment gives me some problems. It seems that when trying to update account records (which is one of the first actions in the sync process) the webservice gives me Generic SQL errors and SQL timeouts. After extensive profiling and tracing in SQL I found that there are...

what's the formula for adding symbols in cells?
I have a chart that has blank info in the legend. I want to add an * to indicate something, but just inserting a symbol doesn't work. Any ideas? Thanks. Debi - To add information to the legend, you need to add to a series name. Right click on the chart, select Source Data from the pop up menu, click on the series tab, select a series, and either type something in the name box, or click in it and select a cell with the mouse. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services http://PeltierTech.com/Excel/Charts/ _______ Debi wrote: > I have a chart tha...

docmd.transfertext problem
Hi, I am using access 97 and tried to import a csv file to the mdb table. I run a code as following: DoCmd.TransferText acImportDelim, "Specification4", "input", DEFAULT_PATH & "online.txt", 1 In online.txt, there is a field which is 10 digit number and I specified it as a double datatype in the specification4. After the import, I found out that the 10 digit number data in the field get empty in the destined table while other fields are all right. Therefore I import manually using specification4 instead of running code. This time the 1...

multiple Domain name delivery problem
hi, I currently have Exchange Server 2003 Build 7638:2 SP2,. We have multiple domain names being delivered to the exchange store. I have nothad any problems, but i currently have one user that is not receiving emails with attachments from one certain "internet" sender to one of her email addresses, but the other address works fine & if they send emails without attachments, everything works fine from either address. I have had the user send them message with attachments to me & the user with the problem & i get the message, but not the other user! I even use message...

How do I use traffic lights in excel
I am wanting to use traffic lights in excel that change colour based on the result of a variance cell, ie if the result of the cell is 10 make the traffic light green, if it is 20 make the traffic light amber, if the result is 30 make the traffic light red. How do I do this? Shorty Format>Conditional Formatting>Cell Value is: Note: you can add up to 3 conditions(4 if you count default) Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 16:35:03 -0800, Shorty <Shorty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am wanting to use traffic lights in excel that change colour based on the &g...

How To Copy MS Word mailing labels into Excel
I have a word doc that I want to put into Excel. I want to add some more fields to the names and addresses. Is this simple or do I have to learn how to program? Michael Rodriguez City of Grand Prairie Michael, have you tried to copy and paste the data into excel? -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2000 & 97 ** remove news from my email address to reply by email ** "Michael Rodriguez" <mrodrigu@gptx.org> wrote in messa...

Opening Excel Workbooks
I'm running into an issue where if I click on an Excel file through My Documents, it doesn't automatically bring it up. I get the toolbar but the actual spreadsheet doesn't appear on the screen. I have to click on the taskbar to get it to pop up. If I already have Excel active and I open a file through Excel, this doesn't happen. Any ideas? Here is a similar thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=237195 Rolli -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi, Take a look at Tools-Options-General tab- uncheck ignore other application...

How to change font size on formula bar in Excell 2007
I don't find Tools>Options>General (as suggested in other post answers) in Excel 2007. On the Office button there is an Excel Options but it doesn't provide a method of changing font size on the office but. My font is so small I can barely see it. Office button>ExcelOptions>Popular tab>in the "When creating new workbooks" section, choose font and font size -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "jimwillie" <jimwillie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:588AAC05-0F52-404E-AA01-128E70E02D0B@microso...

help with simple maths in excel
I want to do a simple arithmatic excercise in excel for my grand daughter. It is stuff like 2+2 =4 Smart me has hit a problem at the first hurdle... I need to put 2 in one cell the + in another cell and then 2 in another = in another and then she puts the answer in the next one. So the above would have 4 cells completed and she would put the answer in the 5th one. When I use the + or = sign in a cell of its own it (excel) thinks I am doing an equation, is there a way around this? I will work on the answer like if she gets it correct or wrong how I will do that...a sound or som...