Excel aficionado wants to learn Access

Hi,

I have learned a decent amount about Excel stuff with the help of
colleagues, Newsgroups and websites of Excel Gurus. Till now I was working in
an environment where Excel was used, hence I could post problems in Excel or
ask people around and see the logic behind solutions. Consequently I could
learn Excel faster. (I didnt know a single thing about VB, but newsgroups
folks and their sites taught me VBA in Excel)

In my job there is no use of Access and I want to learn Access desperately.
I did buy a Primer book on Access but couldnt get anywhere;partly may be the
book wasnt interesting enough or may be I couldnt have the chance to learn
its application in a real life project .

Could someone be kind enough to recommend Access book/s which are as good as
John Walkenbach's/Stephen Bullen's Excel book. Im posting this in a Excel
group because I thought you people could understand better how Lucid and
informative John's book and recommend Access books of similar authority and
standing.

Thanks a lot
Hari
0
Hari1 (36)

Global Footers in Excel
Does anyone know how to take an Excel workbook that has multiple worksheets and create a footer (say one that lists the page number, the tab name, and the file name), and make that footer a "global footer" such that I don't have to set the footer for some 10 to 20 worksheets when they're practically identical? Thanks. DTP David Right-click on one worksheet tab and "select all sheets". Set up your footer on the active sheet and these settings will be replicated on all sheets. DO NOT FORGET to right-click and "ungroup sheets" when done. What you ...

Strange Excel Problem.....
Hi there, We are facing one very strange excel problem in our organization.We have purchased new IBM thinkcenter 851 desktops for our Managers.We have installed Windows 2000 professional as operating system and Office 97 as office in that pcs.Now we are facing one very strange problem....Normally when you click on "New" shortcut( I mean right click anywhere and select "new" option),you will find "Microsoft Excel Worksheet" as shortcut listed in that option and when you select it new excel worksheet will be opened.But here,whenever i click on "new"...

Excel remembers! How?
I type in "FRENCH"(no quatos) in cell A1 The I type in ENGLISH in cell b1 When I get back to cell a2 and type in the letter F the etxt is completed and it says FRENCH How does this happen/what is it called/how do you turn it OFF Thanks for the help Ian, It is called "AutoCompletion". To turn it off, go to the Tools menu, choose Options, then the Edit tab. There, uncheck the "Enable AutoComplete for cell values" options. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com chip@cpearson.com "ian&qu...

Excel Jululian 04-28-10
Good morning please help can i create an index sheet for all my excels files (XLS) regrads yes george, if thats what you want to do. RegMigrant "George A. Jululian" wrote: > Good morning > > please help > > can i create an index sheet for all my excels files (XLS) > > regrads oh, go on then two ways - build an excel macro what gets the information from windows so can (kind of) keep itself up to date. I am guessing you have no macro background so i offer the much cheaper way:- got to Start, run type "cmd" wi...

Cursor highlights the wrong rows in excel?
I find that I have to select 3 rows above the row I want to highlight in excel. This carries forward when selecting multiple rows. My mouse is always about 3 lines above the cells being acted upon. ...

excel 2007 installation
Hello: I used to have Excel XP and I install Excel 2007. Problem: I want to ger rid of the personalized features I have in XP and install Excell 2077 with the default parameters as it come from the manufacturer. Please help. Elitor Did you try just uninstalling the Excel XP version first? If so, did that not help? I've not tried this so I'd like to know! "Elitor" <Elitor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8C1B1E5E-0EAA-42EB-8CC2-5A228ADF8578@microsoft.com... > Hello: > I used to have Excel XP and I install Excel 2007. > Problem: I want to ...

[P2007]
Hi, I have a PM user who has just changed the login account password in AD and after that he is no longer able to login to PWA, an access denied message will show up instead. Even if I assign him as an administrator, he is still getting the same problem. He has no issue using Project Professional (with his account) to connect to the project server, it is just the PWA that he is unable to access. Did anyone encountered the same issue before? Regards Godrid Godrid: Most likely his desktop is sending the incorrect credentials. Verify that the user didn't save the passw...

PDFs and Word Documents in Access Report
I'm trying to give the users an option to insert documents or PDFs into the report. I added an oleobject to the report. However, only page one will be displayed. Is there a way around this? I'd like to just store the filename in my table, then load the document into the OLE Object when the report is loaded. Thanks Vayse There is no method available to display more than the first page of the document. You simply cannot combine an Access report with an external document. The only workaround would be to programmatically: Print all/portion of the Access report Print the external...

Excel Caused Error in VBE6.dll. Excel will Close
When trying to open Excel 2000 (Office Professional) / Windows ME the above message appeared and Excel would not open. Renaming the VBE6.DLL file and then repair and then reinstal Office did not work as the original dated VBE6.DLL file reappeared Has anyone had the sme problem? If so did you find a workable solution? ... and what was it? ...

Can't give access to new Test Company on GP10
I created an additional company on GP10 which I called TEST. Through SQL Server, I restored a backup file of our production database to test. Then I went into GP > User Access Setup, and tried to assign access to the TEST company to users, but it would not allow it. The message read, "The user could not be added to one or more databases." I created the new company as sa, and sa does have access to the TEST company. I would appreciate any help with this. Thanks! Have you tried going into SQL server and removing all the permissions from the Test database before going into...

How do I copy a chart made in Excel to Powerpoint?
I have created a number of charts in Excel that I need to export to Powerpoint for a presentation. I also want to turn each graph into a jpeg or pdf file for publication. How do I do this? For sharing charts in Office 2003 or earlier: Using Excel with Other Office Applications http://peltiertech.com/Excel/XL_PPT.html Office 2007 throws some wrenches into the gears. To export charts as image files: Enhanced Export Chart Procedurehttp://peltiertech.com/WordPress/2008/06/09/enhanced-export-chart-procedure/ Use PDF or GIF, which are optimized for line art, not JPG, which is optimized fo...

Excel 2007 Chart SeriesCollection(1).Interior.ColorIndex
I thought I had posted this already, but can't find it. Sorry if it's a duplicate. I have the following code that was written in Excel 2003. Every time I run it in Excel 2007 it crashes. I can't find anything about changing the colors of a series in an Excel 2007 chart. Also, when I try to record a macro to change the chart colors to gain insight, nothing gets written to the macro regarding the color change. Help! Sheets("Chart1").SeriesCollection(1).Interior.ColorIndex = 5 ...

saving excel file with it's add in
Hi, I have an Excel file that uses a formula from an add in installed in m computer (*.xla). How can I save the project including the add in in order to use it i another computer that doesn't have the add in. thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Do you really mean that your workbook uses a function that's in the addin? If yes, I think you have two choices. #1. Take the addin with you (and install it on the other pc). #2. Extract the code/procedure for that function from the addin and put it in your workbook. (If the addin's project is protected, then thi...

Pie Chart (excel 2003)
How do I hide the 0% of the pie chart so that they only show the relevant %? If you mean on the pie then double click the data labels and choose the Number tab, choose Custom and enter the following code on the Type line on the right: 0%;[=0]""; -- Cheers, Shane Devenshire "Xueling" wrote: > How do I hide the 0% of the pie chart so that they only show the relevant %? Thanks! It does look better. But is there a way to not show the data lable of those 0% as well? "ShaneDevenshire" wrote: > If you mean on the pie then double click the data labels ...

Access database locked.
Hi, I am facing an issue with access database.I have a web page that creates reports by pulling data from aparticular access database. This web page fails to create complexreports that returns lots of data. Once such a report is run, the webpage keeps on processing but never gives any result. But after this,when I try to run simple reports on the page, it fails to connect tothe db. This does not give any error, but the web page keeps onprocessing but never stops and never gives any result.It seems that the access db gets locked, a ldb file is created at thelocation of the mdb file. When th...

Access 2000 to Access97
I am trying to convert a Access 2000 database into Access97. When I try this I receive a message saying 'The size of a field is too long'. Does anyone know how this database can be converted Thanks Paul ...

Graphic features of EXCEL..........
Hi, I want to display the table data on Pivot GRAPH from two different sheets. How should we do that? Any advice will be great. Bill ...

Access 2003
Hello, I have two different Access 2003 databases, one has a problem with showing options when the right mouse button is clicked on a table, query or anything, the other one does not. This started happening out of the blue ... I checked tools, options thinking I had inadvertly set some sort of option, but there is nothing that I can see that would affect the mouse in one data base and not the other .. very strange. It is the same on my computer at home and at the office ... Any help on this would be much appreciated. Abay Is there anything else running that could interfere? The ...

Excel 2007 sorting problem
In Excel 2007, every time I change ranges, and even sometimes when I move away from a range and then come back to an old range, I have to re-enter the sort parameters every time. In Excel 2003, and for some versions before, if I sorted a selected range (say A4:Q54) by Col A Asc, Col G Asc, and Col C Desc then Excel would remember the sort parameters so that if I changed ranges to say A60:Q100 it would keep those same parameters loaded and I could just simply sort my data without having to re-enter the sort parameters all over again. Please direct me to where I can get some help on this issue...

Problems getting rid of "..Program is trying to access your e-mail addresses.."
I am trying to complete a migration to Exchange 2003 Outlook 2003 from an Exchange 5.5 Outlook 2003 environment. I have all of my clients configured so that the HKey_Local_Machine value of CheckAdminSettings is set to 1 or 2. I have identical security group documents in the Outlook 10 Security Settings and Outlook Security Settings folders. Unfortunately Some of my users are still seeing the Outllok security prompts. I have checked the permissions on the Security Settings folders and everything seems to be correct. What am I missing and why can't I make the prompts disappear. Everything...

Re: Excel Problem
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0046_01C5D5BA.E1DDCCD0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I have some sheets 1;2;3;4; ETC................. I would like the new page list release with one botton: A1-Nome de sheet(1;2;3;4; ETC) A2-Date(C50:C80) A3-Import (D50:D90) Best regards Marcello "Bob Phillips" <bob.phillips@notheretiscali.co.uk> ha scritto nel = messaggio=20 news:uk86X7v0FHA.3188@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > Marcello, > > I am not absolutely clear as to what you...

How can a set an alarm in Excel?
I don't know if this is possible, but I figured I would ask: I have a spreadsheet that I work with that shows the schedules of my students; each different place my student goes has its own row, so a student may have many rows if they have many activities. currently, i auto filter the day column to the current day so i can see what students have activities on that day, and when/where they are. i was wondering if i could set an alarm on the column labeled 'start time' that would pop a window up when any value in that cell matched the system time... is this possible?? thanks, -...

Access 97: InputBox to pass arguments for generating reports
I am a newbie when it comes to VBA and MS-Access. I have created areport for my database using the Report Wizard. Currently the reportprints all the contents in my database in columnar format. I wouldlike to pass some arguments (through an input box) that will allow meto print only selected rows from my database in the report. Forexample, my database has a date field and if I provide beginning andend dates in the InputBox, I would like only rows for which the datefield lies within the specified range to be printed. Can someone tellme how to go about it?BTW, Northwind Traders database, tha...

Excel text to Word text
How can I copy Excel text, then paste it into MS Word without carrying over the grid lines? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Ed English I don't believe you can copy and paste without the gridlines. However, in Word, select the data and Table>Convert>Table to Text. -- Greeting from the Gulf Coast! http://myweb.cableone.net/twodays "Ed" <ee15803@att.net> wrote in message news:3f7e21e9.53324199@netnews.worldnet.att.net... > How can I copy Excel text, then paste it into MS Word without carrying > over the grid lines? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks &g...

Excel Calculations Open in Manual Occasionally
MSOffice 2003, WinXP. When I open Excel, the Calculation Option defaults to Manual instead of remaining on Automatic. Is this a bug in Excel? I never set it to Manual. Thoughts can be posted or sent rich32822(Remove this)@hotmail.com. Regards, If the first workbook you open is set to manual it will change the setting for other workbooks as well meaning that if someone is sending you a workbook with this set, you open it by opening the attachment and Excel opens. Then you close this particular workbook and you open a new workbook, this workbook will now be set to manual -- Regards,...