Excel 97 - Trying to compress data by clicking on + and -

Hi ExcelForum,

First time aboard!

Something that I have seen in the past, but just cannot figure out ho
to do.  Problem is what I recall involved the plus and minus sign
being off to the left of the worksheet.
I have a spreadsheet with months in merged cells above the days of th
month below i.e. C2 is a merged cell "January" and cells C3 to AG3 ar
individual cells with the days of the month 1,2,3, etc.  This goe
along the width of the worksheet for 6 months or so. February begins a
AH2 and the days are AH3 to BJ3.
What I am trying to do is compact all of January by clicking on a minu
sign (above the worksheet?) to compact all the data that is relevant t
January and then click on the plus sign to view data.
I know that I could simply highlight the columns and hide the data, bu
the plus sign option is much more impressive.  I suppose another optio
is to group the months and create individual hyperlinks, but wouldn'
that involve the creation of a 'master' worksheet?
Sorry to have gone on at length with my first request on this forum
so anticipate some blahs in any reply.
Thank you

Make sure the data in Col A is sorted, select it all and then do Data /
Subtotals

For individual groupings at any time, sleect a range and use data / Group and
outline

--
Regards
                  Sys Spec - Win XP Pro /  XL 00/02/03

"mday36 >" <<mday36.12npws@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi ExcelForum,
>
> First time aboard!
>
> Something that I have seen in the past, but just cannot figure out how
> to do.  Problem is what I recall involved the plus and minus signs
> being off to the left of the worksheet.
> I have a spreadsheet with months in merged cells above the days of the
> month below i.e. C2 is a merged cell "January" and cells C3 to AG3 are
> individual cells with the days of the month 1,2,3, etc.  This goes
> along the width of the worksheet for 6 months or so. February begins at
> AH2 and the days are AH3 to BJ3.
> What I am trying to do is compact all of January by clicking on a minus
> sign (above the worksheet?) to compact all the data that is relevant to
> January and then click on the plus sign to view data.
> I know that I could simply highlight the columns and hide the data, but
> the plus sign option is much more impressive.  I suppose another option
> is to group the months and create individual hyperlinks, but wouldn't
> that involve the creation of a 'master' worksheet?
> Sorry to have gone on at length with my first request on this forum -
> so anticipate some blahs in any reply.
> Thank you.
>

> ---

---

ken.wright (2489)

Strange Excel Problem.....
Hi there, We are facing one very strange excel problem in our organization.We have purchased new IBM thinkcenter 851 desktops for our Managers.We have installed Windows 2000 professional as operating system and Office 97 as office in that pcs.Now we are facing one very strange problem....Normally when you click on "New" shortcut( I mean right click anywhere and select "new" option),you will find "Microsoft Excel Worksheet" as shortcut listed in that option and when you select it new excel worksheet will be opened.But here,whenever i click on "new"...

Excel remembers! How?
I type in "FRENCH"(no quatos) in cell A1 The I type in ENGLISH in cell b1 When I get back to cell a2 and type in the letter F the etxt is completed and it says FRENCH How does this happen/what is it called/how do you turn it OFF Thanks for the help Ian, It is called "AutoCompletion". To turn it off, go to the Tools menu, choose Options, then the Edit tab. There, uncheck the "Enable AutoComplete for cell values" options. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com chip@cpearson.com "ian&qu...

Global Footers in Excel
Does anyone know how to take an Excel workbook that has multiple worksheets and create a footer (say one that lists the page number, the tab name, and the file name), and make that footer a "global footer" such that I don't have to set the footer for some 10 to 20 worksheets when they're practically identical? Thanks. DTP David Right-click on one worksheet tab and "select all sheets". Set up your footer on the active sheet and these settings will be replicated on all sheets. DO NOT FORGET to right-click and "ungroup sheets" when done. What you ...

Problem sending an Excel file as an attachment in Outlook Express
I can receive Excel files as Outlook Express Attachments but when I send one it changes to an .dat file and can not be opened. I use MS Office 2000. Any suggestions? Hi this is more a Outlook related question. So you may post this in the Outlook NG -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Olgolfer" <Olgolfer@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:E98CE6AD-0649-411F-9D1D-2B93AC5C4729@microsoft.com... > I can receive Excel files as Outlook Express Attachments but when I send one > it changes to an .dat file and can not be opened. I use MS Office 2000. ...

Try on this critical update which comes from M$
--lmvvnpoaocxmmys Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="wdjlerbkk"; type="multipart/alternative" --wdjlerbkk Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="sojjlqivgyqt" --sojjlqivgyqt Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Consumer this is the latest version of security update, the "September 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which eliminates all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express. Install now to maintain the security of your computer from these ...

Macro
Hi all!!! I am trying to get my macro to run a sort in a non specific cell for column D.....there are many steps up to this point, I will include the last couple in the code...here is what I have so far.... Columns("C:C").Find(What:="x").EntireRow.Insert Columns("C:C").Find(What:="x").EntireRow.Select Range(Selection, Selection.End(xlDown)).Select Range(Selection, Selection.End(xlToRight)).Select Selection.Sort Key1:=Range("D63"), Order1:=xlAscending, Header:=xlGuess, _ OrderCustom:=1, MatchCase:=False, Orientati...

How do I copy data from one workbook to another whilst retaining formulas on original
I'm looking to run a macro from workbook SWT (sheet CLT) which will cu and paste data from a range of cells (A2,C2,E2,F2,G2,I2,K2.. A3,C3,E3,F3,G3,I3,K3... A4,C4,E4,F4,G4,I4,K4.... until end of data from workbook SWT (Sheet CS) to rows A to G in Workbook SWTS (Shee Stats). I have vlookup formulas (eg =IF(B2="","",VLOOKUP($B2,'Data Field'!$A$7:$B$12,2))) in place in columns A,C,E,F,G,I,K on sheet CS and I'm looking to keep the these formulas in place (unless someone ca think of better alternatives). When I paste the data on sheet Stats i must paste onto the...

excel 2007 installation
Hello: I used to have Excel XP and I install Excel 2007. Problem: I want to ger rid of the personalized features I have in XP and install Excell 2077 with the default parameters as it come from the manufacturer. Please help. Elitor Did you try just uninstalling the Excel XP version first? If so, did that not help? I've not tried this so I'd like to know! "Elitor" <Elitor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8C1B1E5E-0EAA-42EB-8CC2-5A228ADF8578@microsoft.com... > Hello: > I used to have Excel XP and I install Excel 2007. > Problem: I want to ...

Data Analysis
Hi, In Excel 2000 I used a feature called Data Analysis. Now I have Excel 2003 and I cant find this feature anywhere?? Any help appreciated. thanks, Paul Load the Analysis Toolpak Add-in (Tools/Add-ins...). In article <070401c4d7f5$3f64da70$a401280a@phx.gbl>, "Paul" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hi, > > In Excel 2000 I used a feature called Data Analysis. Now I > have Excel 2003 and I cant find this feature anywhere?? > > Any help appreciated. > > thanks, > > Paul ...

Data fill question
Hi all, How do I do an auto fill on a certain amount of cells in a range of numbers but at the end of the number there is a dash s. For example: 343-s, 344-s,345-s and so on. I tried to do the auto fill but it is just repeating the sequence of numbers? You could use a formula. With the first cell filled in (like A1), put this in A2 and fill down: =(LEFT(A1,FIND("-",A1)-1)+1)&"-s" HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message----- >Hi all, >How do I do an auto fill on a certain amount of cells in a range of numbers >but at the end of the number the...

Excel Caused Error in VBE6.dll. Excel will Close
When trying to open Excel 2000 (Office Professional) / Windows ME the above message appeared and Excel would not open. Renaming the VBE6.DLL file and then repair and then reinstal Office did not work as the original dated VBE6.DLL file reappeared Has anyone had the sme problem? If so did you find a workable solution? ... and what was it? ...

Excel Jululian 04-28-10
Good morning please help can i create an index sheet for all my excels files (XLS) regrads yes george, if thats what you want to do. RegMigrant "George A. Jululian" wrote: > Good morning > > please help > > can i create an index sheet for all my excels files (XLS) > > regrads oh, go on then two ways - build an excel macro what gets the information from windows so can (kind of) keep itself up to date. I am guessing you have no macro background so i offer the much cheaper way:- got to Start, run type "cmd" wi...

Cursor highlights the wrong rows in excel?
I find that I have to select 3 rows above the row I want to highlight in excel. This carries forward when selecting multiple rows. My mouse is always about 3 lines above the cells being acted upon. ...

How do I copy a chart made in Excel to Powerpoint?
I have created a number of charts in Excel that I need to export to Powerpoint for a presentation. I also want to turn each graph into a jpeg or pdf file for publication. How do I do this? For sharing charts in Office 2003 or earlier: Using Excel with Other Office Applications http://peltiertech.com/Excel/XL_PPT.html Office 2007 throws some wrenches into the gears. To export charts as image files: Enhanced Export Chart Procedurehttp://peltiertech.com/WordPress/2008/06/09/enhanced-export-chart-procedure/ Use PDF or GIF, which are optimized for line art, not JPG, which is optimized fo...

Put data rows per sheet
I have an Excel workbook with 2 sheets. One of them is for data entering (e.g. rows: employee's name, ID#, working dates, fee etc.) and the other presents that data among other constant value cells (e.g. name of company, titles of columns, place for signatures etc.). What I want is when data in the presentation sheet reach at 22 rows to be automatically continued to the next page of the sheet. So, each printed page will always shows 22 rows of data with the constant data ABOVE and BELOW of these 22 rows. Thanks, Hi not fully automatic but try the following two macros (assumption: row 1 ...

Pie Chart (excel 2003)
How do I hide the 0% of the pie chart so that they only show the relevant %? If you mean on the pie then double click the data labels and choose the Number tab, choose Custom and enter the following code on the Type line on the right: 0%;[=0]""; -- Cheers, Shane Devenshire "Xueling" wrote: > How do I hide the 0% of the pie chart so that they only show the relevant %? Thanks! It does look better. But is there a way to not show the data lable of those 0% as well? "ShaneDevenshire" wrote: > If you mean on the pie then double click the data labels ...

How can a set an alarm in Excel?
I don't know if this is possible, but I figured I would ask: I have a spreadsheet that I work with that shows the schedules of my students; each different place my student goes has its own row, so a student may have many rows if they have many activities. currently, i auto filter the day column to the current day so i can see what students have activities on that day, and when/where they are. i was wondering if i could set an alarm on the column labeled 'start time' that would pop a window up when any value in that cell matched the system time... is this possible?? thanks, -...

graph data from multiple worksheets
I have about 10 worksheets with data in them, I would like to put it all on one chart, how do I do it? I cannot fit it all in one worksheet. Produce the chart from the data from your first workshet. Go to your second worksheet, select the relevant data, copy, go to your chart, edit/ paste special, and accept the relevant option to add a new data series or add data to an existing series. Alternatively having produced your original chart, go to Source Data, and either adding data to an existing series or adding a new series will allow you to select the relevant data from whichever work...

Graphic features of EXCEL..........
Hi, I want to display the table data on Pivot GRAPH from two different sheets. How should we do that? Any advice will be great. Bill ...

Segrigation of different datas from one colum
Hi , I am trying to segrigate and pull data from one colum to different colums. For this I want to created a macro . Also I want this data to be pulled from a word document and to be pasted on an Excel template.Is it possible ??then How can we do it . Hi Roy- Providing a sample of the type of data you are working with (whatever you want to segregate, also called "parsing") would be helpful in order to provide you more direction. You can definitely extract data from a Word document, but how efficient it is will vary depending on how your Word document was set up...

Excel 2007 sorting problem
In Excel 2007, every time I change ranges, and even sometimes when I move away from a range and then come back to an old range, I have to re-enter the sort parameters every time. In Excel 2003, and for some versions before, if I sorted a selected range (say A4:Q54) by Col A Asc, Col G Asc, and Col C Desc then Excel would remember the sort parameters so that if I changed ranges to say A60:Q100 it would keep those same parameters loaded and I could just simply sort my data without having to re-enter the sort parameters all over again. Please direct me to where I can get some help on this issue...

Excel text to Word text
How can I copy Excel text, then paste it into MS Word without carrying over the grid lines? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Ed English I don't believe you can copy and paste without the gridlines. However, in Word, select the data and Table>Convert>Table to Text. -- Greeting from the Gulf Coast! http://myweb.cableone.net/twodays "Ed" <ee15803@att.net> wrote in message news:3f7e21e9.53324199@netnews.worldnet.att.net... > How can I copy Excel text, then paste it into MS Word without carrying > over the grid lines? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks &g...

Re: Excel Problem
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0046_01C5D5BA.E1DDCCD0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I have some sheets 1;2;3;4; ETC................. I would like the new page list release with one botton: A1-Nome de sheet(1;2;3;4; ETC) A2-Date(C50:C80) A3-Import (D50:D90) Best regards Marcello "Bob Phillips" <bob.phillips@notheretiscali.co.uk> ha scritto nel = messaggio=20 news:uk86X7v0FHA.3188@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > Marcello, > > I am not absolutely clear as to what you...

Excel Calculations Open in Manual Occasionally
MSOffice 2003, WinXP. When I open Excel, the Calculation Option defaults to Manual instead of remaining on Automatic. Is this a bug in Excel? I never set it to Manual. Thoughts can be posted or sent rich32822(Remove this)@hotmail.com. Regards, If the first workbook you open is set to manual it will change the setting for other workbooks as well meaning that if someone is sending you a workbook with this set, you open it by opening the attachment and Excel opens. Then you close this particular workbook and you open a new workbook, this workbook will now be set to manual -- Regards,...

Access 97: InputBox to pass arguments for generating reports
I am a newbie when it comes to VBA and MS-Access. I have created areport for my database using the Report Wizard. Currently the reportprints all the contents in my database in columnar format. I wouldlike to pass some arguments (through an input box) that will allow meto print only selected rows from my database in the report. Forexample, my database has a date field and if I provide beginning andend dates in the InputBox, I would like only rows for which the datefield lies within the specified range to be printed. Can someone tellme how to go about it?BTW, Northwind Traders database, tha...