Excel 97 Autofilter

Is there a maximum number of lines that can be displayed
using AutoFilter?  In a list of >8000 items only 600 or so
are displayed.  How can I get around this?
0
al33 (1)

An AutoFilter dropdown list will only show 1000 entries. If your column
has more than 1000 unique items, they can be filtered, but they can't
all be displayed in the dropdown list.

To AutoFilter for an item that doesn't appear in the dropdown list, you
can choose Custom from the drop-down list, and type the criteria. Also,
there are a couple of workarounds here:

      http://www.contextures.com/xlautofilter02.html

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd (439)
8/26/2003 11:57:12 AM
Alan,

Do you mean "maximum number of lines" in the Drop Down list or in the Actual
Filter?

The one thing that prevents a filter from working properly is a blank row.

Before selecting "Data - Filter - Autofilter" select the whole range of data
& everything should work correctly.

If it's the list you're talking about, that's a limitation of Excel. Someone
else may know more there.

regards,

John

"Alan Lyon" <al33@westyorkshire.pnn.police.uk> wrote in message
> Is there a maximum number of lines that can be displayed
> using AutoFilter?  In a list of >8000 items only 600 or so
> are displayed.  How can I get around this?

Insert spinning button with time format in Excel 2000?
I am making a form template in Excel 2000. Every time I try to enter a spinner button I can't get it to work with time format. I want the time to be between 00:00 and 24:00 with 15 minute increments. I've tried with and without the colons but nothing is working. I put a spinner from the Forms toolbar on a worksheet. I rightclicked on it and chose format control. On the control tab, I used: Minimum value: 0 maximum value: 96 Incremental change: 1 And cell link A1 Then in B1, I put: =a1/96 and formatted as time: hh:mm 96 is the number of 15 minute increments in a day (4*24...

problem starting excel 2003
Whenever I start Excel 2003, it tries reinstalling the program. Yet, I have no problem opening up Excel from a saved document. Also, it is only Excel I am having trouble with, no other Office program. What can I do to solve this dilemma? Thanks. -Victor ...

Excel 97 Chart Sub-types are black and white (no color)
Some of the Chart sub-types are black and white. Two of the column sub-types are in color and the rest are black and white. User was upgraded from Windows NT 4.0 Workstation to Windows 2000 Pro. I can format the objects in the chart to give them color. Any body seen this before? ...

HELP:- Excel working out binary
I want to know if it would be possible to have excel be able to work ou the binary codes and convert them to different forms. For example, me being able to give excel a base 10 code and it works i to base 2. or base 2 to base 16 or base 10 to base 16, etc. Any help Please Thanks a lot, Anthon -- Anthony2oo ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Anthony2oo5's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1553 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27100 On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 17:06:53 -0500, Anthony...

Change all data markers (excel chart) to triangles in one command
There must be some command which tells a new chart to randomize colors and symbols- this can look junky. I would llike to find a way to change all symbols simultaneouly to various shapes until I find what makes the chart most read-able. thankyou It's not a single command. You need to loop through the series in a chart and apply colors and symbols as you see fit. This procedure cycles among the marker shapes in a line or XY chart: Sub RotateMarkers() Dim srs As Series Dim NewMarker As Long Select Case ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(1).MarkerStyle Case xlMarkerStyleCircle ...

sending e-mail with Excel macro
I want to send e-mails automatically with Excel's macro, but Outlook asks me each time before sending the e-mail whether I want to allow Excel to send it on my behalf. How can I skip this security procedure, so that no human interaction is required? After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on his new PC, Ed reads a message from Mihkel <mihkel.oja@mail.ee>... > I want to send e-mails automatically with Excel's macro, > but Outlook asks me each time before sending the e-mail > whether I want to allow Excel to send it on my behalf. > How can I skip this security procedu...

Excell deletes 0 when its the first number in a string
Anyone know how I can turn off the option that deletes 0 when its the first number in a string? everytime I tyoe in a number such as 0987 it deletes the 0 at the begining. Either pre-format the cell as TEXT, or type an apostrophe before the leading zero...........the apostrophe will not be seen in the cell or printout, but will format that cell as TEXT.......... Vaya con dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "dustin1138" <dustin1138@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9735B714-8BD5-4D7C-A913-D6D39017FE66@microsoft.com... > Anyone know how I can turn off the option that dele...

"Publishing" excel file to peer to peer network
We have a schedule in a small excel workbook maintained regularly throughout the day by one workstation. Want three or four PCs in a peer to peer network to view it in read-only mode for information at any time. Network is pretty slow if forced to do any real work OSs for viewing PCs are W95/W98/XP Pro - machines correspondingly slow to OK. Office 97 Not sure of best way to go about it - shared excel workbook with password to restrict to read-only? another excel way to view display read-only? save excel file as html page on a shared drive and open in browser on viewing PCs? 'Refresh...

Excel Desktop Shortcuts take long to open up
Whenever i open a Excel shortcut from the desktop, it takes a long time to open up, 20+ seconds, but when i open it straight from excel it opens up straight away. Does anyone know why this is, i'm in a office enviroment and we are using Microsft Server 2003. All other programs open up fine from the desktop except for excel. ...

Why does my excel program create a .xls:1 extension?
The :1 does not show on my documents, but when the file is open it shows ..xls:1 in the file name. Laura This means you have created two windows of the same file. If you go to Window you will see filename.xls:2 Close one of the Windows using the "X" at top right. Save the workbook. The two windows were created using Window>New Window. Handy feature if you want two or more windows open with different views. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 12:32:21 -0700, "Laura" <Laura@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >The :1 does not show on my documents, ...

excel.exe has generated errors and will close down. Restart progr.
I have been trying to run the Tracking Changes function in excel. I then used the pop up box, select which changes should be highlighted. When I say ok, I get the following error message: Excel.exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows. You will need to restart the program. An error log is being created. ...

Microsoft Graph 97 Chart
We've upgraded our app from Access 97 to Access 2003. The app crashes (compiled version only) whenever a user opens a form containing the Microsoft Graph 97 Chart control. It works in the uncompiled development version. I only have Access 2003 on my machine, so I am wondering A) Why does Microsoft Graph 97 Chart appear in the OLE Class of the control's Property page; B) Is there an updated version of this control I should be using (and what is it called?); and C) Do I need to distribute a separate DLL/OCX with my app for it to work properly? Thanks! Hi, Check your project re...

Convert Excel table into Word
I want to convert Excel table into Word. Is there way to do that? Thank You Try .. Copy table in Excel In Word, Click Edit > Paste special > Formatted Text (RTF) -- Rgds Max xl 97 --- GMT+8, 1� 22' N 103� 45' E xdemechanik <at>yahoo<dot>com ---- "Harjinder S. Purewal" <HarjinderSPurewal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:43779B5B-6E73-4FF2-A250-86264454ECA9@microsoft.com... > I want to convert Excel table into Word. Is there way to do that? > Thank You ...

Excel opens gibberish on startup -- Please Help
Hello, I am running excel 2002 on a client machine in a domain environment. When ever I open excel, it automatically opens several workbooks full of junk text, one of which looks like an old backup listing of my IE favorites. I don't know this happens, I've tried restalling the entire office suite and then running office updates again with no change. However, if I log in as a different user on that machine, excel opens normaly with a blank spreadsheet ready to go. I'm hoping at least somebody has experienced this before. Any help is much appreicated. thanks. First plac...

excel 2003 stop rounding and decimal places
I have tried number formats of General and Number - I get slightly different results but both are not what I want. If I enter 180556 I want it to display exactly like that. I don't want it rounded to the nearest two decimal places, I don't want it truncated, etc. I want it to be a number because I need to graph the column. Any help? Thanks, John Kilgo, john.kilgo@dotnetjohn.com ...

How do I use Access forms to input excel 2002 data?
I have downloaded and installed the Accesslinks option from the MS website. The Excel help feature tells me that I should see a couple of 'MS blahblahblah' options on my "Data" menu once I have this installed and have checked off the appropriate "Add-in" option. I do not see this on my "Data" menu, so I am wondering what is wrong. ...

"broken" y-axis in Excel charts
I often need to graph two parameters on the same bar graph whose high values differ by a great deal - sometimes by a factor of 10 or 20 - which makes the lower values almost disappear. I could use a second y axis but sometimes it's inconvenient to do so. I have seen charts in scientific journals that "break" the y-axis to indicate that the scale has been compressed and partially hidden. Is this possible in Excel? It would really come in handy sometimes. Mike -- burnsbyrne ------------------------------------------------------------------------ burnsbyrne's Profile: ...

Excel Quiz
Has anyone else seen those Excel quiz worksheets being passed around? I saw a couple at work and was wondering if anyone had any links to more of them, they are a fun way of passing the time! Any help is much appreciated! Thanks, Geordie A Google search (www.google.com) for "Excel quiz" turns up quite a few. My crystal ball is cloudy as to which ones have been passed around in your circles. Jerry Geordie wrote: > Has anyone else seen those Excel quiz worksheets being passed around? I saw > a couple at work and was wondering if anyone had any links to more of them, &g...

Excel 97 SR-1 / Set date in a cell-have day track in another cell
In Excel 97/SR-1, how can I set a day or date in a cell, and have the other cell track the other and in another cell, sequentially increment a number ... i.e.: Page 1 Date: 29 September 2005 Day: Thursday Number: 6899 Page 2 Date: 30 September 2005 Day: Friday Number: 6900 Page 3 Date: 01 October 2005 Day: Saturday Number: 6901 Thank you...- You could use a formula that points back to the date. If Page 2 is a worksheet sheet2 and Page 1 is sheet1, you could use: =sheet1!a1+1 (and format it nicely)....

Excel 2003 colour
I have the following problem with Excel I have seen that a simila question was asked some 18 months ago but am unable to find th solution I am using Office 2003 Pro and my Excel 2003 will not "fill" cells wit any colour nor allow fonts to be shown in color. But the print preview shows the colour and infils correctly. When clicking on the cell to edit it the colour is shown. When opening an imported worksheet the colour is shown until I make an change to the book and all the colour disappears. No colour is displayed on imported worksheets created in earlie versions either. Th...

Excel Protection problem
Hi, I have a chart with a button on it. The button is used to evoke userform that can be used to change parameters on the data sheet an see how the graph varies. I have code in both the userform an worksheet modules. I now want to protect the data sheet. Since protecting the sheet woul prohibit any change on the sheet, I am unprotecting the data sheets i the userform_initialise and protecting them back i userform_terminate. I want the user to change the parameters both via the sheet and th userform. However the worksheet module code will not run properly whe change is made via sheet cos t...

Why won't Excel start up without asking for a printer?
My wife can not start Excel on the laptop without selecting a printer. The printer has to be on to work. This laptop is not always used near a printer or a network. Is there a way to disable this "feature"? I think excel needs to know how to render the screen images. It uses the printer driver to show you what you should expect. But I've never seen excel force you to have a printer on--mine is off right now and I have excel open. In fact, all excel needs is the printer driver--it doesn't actually need the physical printer. If your wife starts excel in safe mode, d...

excel contents cells on different worksheet like a comment
I am using excel as a database with multiple worksheets containing different data some of which is related. I would like to view the contents of a range of cells on one worksheet in a different worksheet such as a comment function. Worksheet (a) would contain a name and serial number [a range of four cells] and worksheet (b) would contain the same serial number but not the name. So as I look at the serial number in a cell on worksheet b if I place my cursor on that cell then a visual link or comment would appear showing me the name on worksheet a. Any chance you can just use anothe...

How to determine programatically if Excel is installed
Can anybody tell me what is the best way to determine programatically from VBA or VB6 whether Excel is installed on the current machine and, if so, what version. -- Peter "PeterH" <PeterH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote... >Can anybody tell me what is the best way to determine programatically >from VBA or VB6 whether Excel is installed on the current machine and, >if so, what version. There's always Registry scanning. Search for the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office Then within this key search for the highest subkey of the form 8.0, 9.0, 10....

How do I create a Excel bar chart with 3 variables?
I'm trying to create a bar chart with the width of each bar representing a third variable. This is similar to the Bubble chart but using bars. On Mon, 20 Aug 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, RAnd <RAnd@discussions.microsoft.com> said: >I'm trying to create a bar chart with the width of each bar representing a >third variable. This is similar to the Bubble chart but using bars. There is a way to do it if you cheat a bit. You can create an Area chart with a Time-scale axis that follows a rectangular pattern, up, across, down, across, and so on. Because the Time-...