Excel 2003 - Rounding Up

How can I tell Excel NOT to round up when it calculates?

Click Tools menu,
choose Options
Choose Calculation tab
Check "Precision as Displayed"

"Peppermint" wrote:

> How can I tell Excel NOT to round up when it calculates?
0
chanin (1)
1/4/2006 7:10:03 PM
Excel does *not* round up, unless you tell it to so in the formula, like
with the ROUNDUP() function.
It may seem that it rounds (not UP, just plain round); because no more
digits fit in the column width or because you told Excel (via Formatting)
not display more than a certain number of digits.
"In the background" there is still an unrounded number.
If this does not solve your problem or answer your question, post again in
this same thread.

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten

"Peppermint" <Peppermint@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How can I tell Excel NOT to round up when it calculates?

0
nicolaus (2022)
1/4/2006 7:40:00 PM
"chanin" wrote:
> Click Tools menu, choose Options
> Choose Calculation tab [;] Check "Precision as Displayed"

That does __not__ cause Excel "not to round up when it
calculates", as the OP requested.

For example, suppose B1 contains 0.0025 formatted as
Number with 4 decimal places, and A1 contains =2*B1
formatted as Number with 2 decimal places.  A1 will
display 0.01, which is the rounded value of 0.005 (2*0.0025).

Of course, who knows what the OP truly wants.  But to me,
"not round up when it calculates" means the equivalent of
ROUNDDOWN(2*B1,2) -- 0.00 in this example.

"Peppermint" wrote:
> How can I tell Excel NOT to round up when it calculates?

Your words are ambiguous since, for example, Excel does
__not__ round "up" automatically.

I suggest that you post some specific examples; that is,
what cells or numbers are involved in the calculation, and
what result would like to see.  Be sure to include some
"corner cases" so that your intent it clear.

Generally, you can force Excel to round the result down,
up or to the nearest decimal place.  Use the Help to read
about ROUNDDOWN(), ROUNDUP() and ROUND().  If
those do mean your needs, take a look at some functions
in the See Also list.

force Excel to treat numbers as text
Sorry I searched this and no one seems to have a solution. I trie pre-defiming columns as text but it gets over-riden by the paste. Past Special doesn't do the trick.. paste special as text on tabular data coming from a web site puts mos of the data in the first column. It no longer spreads the columns o pasted data into its own excel columns the tabular data, tab delimited, I want to 'copy&paste' looks lik this: 1) OGRODOWICZ MARK M47 6306 BROOKLYN NY 533 446 41 24:00 23:25 7:3 20:58 2) CHAO DUSTIN M35 3738 NEW YORK NY 534 447 155 24:02 23:47 7:40 23:1 The paste should...

Protection of check boxes in excel 2002
Hi I have a form set up in excel with check boxes, and I wish to protect the sheet but allow users to be able to select and deselect the check boxes. When I protect the sheet and then use the sheet, an error mesage lets you know the sheet is protected and read only, I have tried in format control for the check box to deselect the locked option and lock text option. Its bound to be simple but help is always welcome. Try unlocking the cells that are linked to the checkboxes. You can hide the columns/rows that contain the link (or move them to another (hidden???) worksheet. Newbeetle wrote...

Outlook 2003
Hi, I have to go through three Deleted Items folders in order to delete all the cr*p. Is there an Outlook option or a rule that someone can suggest to set up, in a step-by-step fashion, that will combine these three into one? Thanks, Feedscrn By default Outlook only has 1 deleted items folder. What are the other 2? Are they in 2 other personal folders? "feedscrn" <feedscrn@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1193150667.085940.208790@q5g2000prf.googlegroups.com... > > Hi, > > I have to go through three Deleted Items folders in order to > de...

Outlook 2003 won't download E Mail
I have been using a spam filtering program called Mailwasher Pro (recently upgraded to version 6) for many months now with no problems. My ISP is Tiscali. A few days ago, something (I suspect Outlook) crashed while I was viewing E Mail in Outlook and I finished up having to reinstall Outlook completely. Fortunately I do back up Outlook so all I lost was recent stuff - bad enough, but I can live with it. The problem now is that, although the Mailwasher program is working properly, and Outlook will (apparently) connect and download E Mails, nothing appears in the Inbox, or anywhere else...

can't restore 2003 into 2002 Money?
Wow, what a hassle with no results from Compaq nor Microsoft/Gates conspiracy. Is it NOT possible to transfer simple money files between my new notebook w/ Money 2003 to my PC that has Money 2002? Give us a break Bill! There is very little if any software that is backwards compatible. How on earth do you imagine that at the time M2002 was coded they could predict what changes might be made to the file format in M2003. -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money Hints/Tips http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny UK Wishes/Suggestions mnyukwsh@microsof...

Doex Excel do this?
Hi everone, Say I have a workbook of 30 worksheets, each a worksheet has tab name and table. I want to create additional sheet that lists each tab name and its table's column names! Is this doable? Thanks, Mike Assuming Table column names are in A1:J1 on each sheet. Sub CreateListOfSheets() Dim WS As Worksheet Worksheets.Add(After:=Worksheets(Worksheets.Count)).Name = "List" For I = 1 To Worksheets.Count With Worksheets("List") Set WS = Worksheets(I) If WS.Name <> "List" Then .Cells(I, 1).Valu...

How do I add a floating text box in Excel?
I have a shared workbook with several huge spreadsheets. There are certain things that other users/viewers would readily want to know without parsing to the end of the spreadsheet. How can I create a floating text box in Excel and include totals of certain cells from the same worksheet? MS has lots of templates at: http://officeupdate.microsoft.com/TemplateGallery And there's always google! Prashant wrote: > > I have a shared workbook with several huge spreadsheets. There are certain > things that other users/viewers would readily want to know without parsing to > the...

Excel Help Please quick question
i want to have a cell automatically fill its self in when another cell says a certain thing. eg - if i type "blue" into D5 i want D6 to automatically change to "yes" Is this possible Thanks In Cell D6 put this formula =3DIF(D6=3D"blue","yes","") On Nov 15, 7:13=A0pm, Tom Jacques <Tom Jacq...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > i want to have a cell automatically fill its self in when another cell sa= ys a > certain thing. > > eg - if i type "blue" into D5 i want D6 to automatically change t...

Excel 2007 error when opening program
"The INI file containing the temp chart file name could not be found" What does this mean and how can it be corrected. Recently upgraded from 2003 to 2007 ...

stop rounding in cell
i want the numbers in my cells to show as they are without being rounded but to show in thousands. I want to maintain integrity. Eg. 97,654 should just show as 97. i don't want it to round up or down. is this possible? Hi Try =INT(A1/1000) but note anything less than 1000 will show as 0. Regards Roger Govier Lady112017 wrote: > i want the numbers in my cells to show as they are without being rounded but > to show in thousands. I want to maintain integrity. Eg. 97,654 should just > show as 97. i don't want it to round up or down. is this possible? Try this formula: ...

Sharing a calendar with outlook 2003
High, I need to share a calendar among users using outlook 2003 under ms xp home edition ( 4 computers with local pst files). I tried to create a shared pst file on the server ( windows 2003 server workgroup mode). But everytime a user opened the shared pst file, it blocked the access for the other users (users have full security access to the file). Is there any other way to share a calendar other than installing exchange ? Thanks in advance Try this page for suggestions: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/share.htm --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the gro...

Outlook 2003: Can you arrange mail by Company
I need to determine all mail sent from a company (different users within the company). Any ideas how I could split the sender address username@company.com into two part/fields ? Thanks Uri ...

Windows 2003 64 bit and memory question
I have a windows 2003 64 bit server with 12 gb ram.. my question is how can I tell if a process , any process is using physical ram and paging file. I have an Oracle.exe that is using 5gb ram.. is that all physical ram or partly paging ram. ...

Read Text File into Excel Using VBA
Hi All, I'm a new VBA programmer. I know how to pull an entire text file into an Excel Spreadsheet, but I only want specific information from the text file not the entire text file. What I have is about 25 text files stored in a folder, let's say C:\test. Each file is named by a property address as follows: 209 MAIN ST.txt 213 MAIN ST.txt 111 ELM ST.txt 2356 WOOD AVE.txt On the 11th row of each file is as follows: Property Address:209 MAIN ST On the 31st row of each file is as follows: Total Value:30500 What I would like to do is read each file located in the "C:\test folder...

How to disabel "Excel" button in CRM
Hi, Dose anybody know how to get rid off the EXCEL button in lots of form in CRM, we don't want user can export company's data to EXCL file and take it away. Thank you ...

updating money to 2003
I just bought the MSMoney 2003 and I want to resotre my file from MSMoney 2000. Everytime I try to resotre the file, it gives me an error message stating that my file can't be opened due to a possible read only file or I don't have permission. I went to the support site and tried their methods even using a program called "salvage". still no luck. Can someone help me please??? Thanks for your help. Oh I am using this program on both Windows 2000 and XP. In microsoft.public.money, CKK wrote: >I just bought the MSMoney 2003 and I want to resotre my >file fr...

Excel 2000
Is there a limit to the number of slices in an Excel 2000 pie chart. I can only get (9) to work using the wizard. As soon as I add (10) the last one gives an error readin and it sits there incomplete. Hi, There are limits but it's not 10. What data do you have in those 10 cells? Cheers Andy Bob wrote: > Is there a limit to the number of slices in an Excel 2000 pie chart. I can > only get (9) to work using the wizard. As soon as I add (10) the last one > gives an error readin and it sits there incomplete. -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info I a...

excel multilple sheets
Need to branch to another sheet in the workbook and then return to the sheet that the branch was started from! Now for the kicker The user can change the name of the sheet that the program runs from!! ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Chip Pearson just posted some code (you wanted code???) that works very nicely. http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=utf6mffiDHA.620%40TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl It works if the sheet has been renamed, too. Arr wrote:...

2007 version of Excel
How do I create a password so that the password is required upon opening the workbook? Take the following action in EXCEL 2007:- 1. Launch EXCEL so that it has a new file in it. 2. Click on the Office Button (top left hand corer). 3. Prepare / Encrypt Document / enter the password that you want to use (for example test). - OK - enter the password again (test) - OK - Save the file in the normal way (Ctrl-S) 4. Close the file in the normal way (Office Button in top left hand corner / Close). 5. Now open the file once more. To get into it you will ha...

Changing chart background color in Excel 97 SR 2
I am fairly new to this so please bear with me. I have a chart based on numbers in a spread that has a grey background (The chart) but I would like the background to be white and can not get it to change. I right clicked on the chart and went to Format Chart Area, Patterns, Fill Effects, Patterns and changed the background to white but the ok button is greyed out. Am using Excel (Office) 97 SR 2 TIA http://members.aol.com/larrystark/ Right click (or double click) on the gray region, which is the Plot Area. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tut...

My Outlook 2003 follow up flags don't pop up as reminders?
I have used ollow up flags extensively before on previous laptops and previous server systems, but for some reason when I set a reminder on an outgoing email on my current system it doesn't pop up at the set time and go into the reminders task schedule - any ideas? For Outlook 2003 and previous, flags only work for items in the Inbox. Outlook 2007 fires reminders for flagged items in any folders. You can make it work for previous versions of Outlook by using this add-in; http://addins.howto-outlook.com/slovaktech_extendedreminders -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coautho...

How to start the default mail program using Excel VBA? #2
From Excel (using VBA) I want to click a button and start the default mail program installed on the computer. After this I want to prepopulate the TO line in Outlook Express or Outlook (depending on what's installed on the machine) with a few e-mail addresses (stored in my spreadsheet). Any sample code for this please? Thanks in advance Michalakis Michael michalakis_michael@hotmail.com ...

Calculated measure problem (OLAP) in Excel Spreadsheet
G'Day all I am having trouble with a calculation that on the surface seems to be working until it is opened up in excel The measure calculates the Actual Value as of last year and is as follows - ([Measures].[Act Val],ParallelPeriod([Time].[Year],1) This works fine until I look at the totals within EXCEL 2002/200 1)If I choose to view a whole year then the total shows me a whole year. That is fine and as expected 2)If I choose part of the year the total shows me the whole year. This is wrong and am wondering if it is an Excel probem or my calculation? But here is the weird part - 3)I...

Excel Save As Options
I am using XP Pro SP3 and Office 2007 Enterprise. I am using a third party retailing WWW page development tool to update a database of various item information on a WWW page. My boss is a reseller (at a lower price than the manufacturer of course). The update takes place via an import function built into their tool and the import function will take as input a flat file and you can specify if the field separator is a tab or some other character. I can't change this part. I am encouraged to use the tools that are available since I do not have direct access to the DB (and probably don...

cannot access excel spreadsheet
I have a received an excell spreadsheet attachment which I have saved in >my documents> but try to open it and nothing happens. what do I do to open it successfully? I am using micsrosoft windows XP No technical terms please as I am very new to computing Do you have Excel installed? In order to open an Excel workbook (file) you must have the Excel program installed on your computer. Excel is not a part of WindowsXP and you cannot download it for free from anywhere. There is a free Excel viewer with which you can view the contents of the file. You can download it at this ...