excel #159

How do I prevent 2 files from opening up when I click on one file?
0
Brian8214 (439)

What two files are opening?

If it looks like:

book1.xls:1
and
book1.xls:2

Then you actually only have one workbook open--but you have two windows to that
single workbook opening.

Click on the window you don't want anymore and hit ctrl-w to close that window.
Then save the workbook.

========
If that's not it, maybe you have another workbook in a folder named XLStart.
Use windows start button and search for XLStart.

Then look in each of those folders for a workbook file (*.xls).  Move it or
delete it if you're sure you don't need it.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Do the two files have a :1 and :2 appended to the filename?

If so, you have two windows open with the same file in each.

Close one of them using the "x" then save.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 08:26:02 -0800, "Brian" <Brian@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>How do I prevent 2 files from opening up when I click on one file?
0
Gord

Excel '97
Is it possible to purchas an original install copy of Excel '97 anymore? Hi try ebay -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Jeanne" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:003401c4f287$24f9e480$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Is it possible to purchas an original install copy of > Excel '97 anymore? I've tried Amazon and Ebay, and they both have UPGRADES available, but the original Office package wasn't part of the 97 OS was it? >-----Original Message----- >Hi >try ebay > >-- >Regards >Frank Kabel >F...

Excel 2003-provide feedback with sound
Trying to set in the options of MS Excel 2003 "provide feedback with sound", a message appears, that I have to download the Microsoft Sounds Add-in from the MS download page. But there is a hint, that this Add-in is only up to Excel XP and so it is not possible to install this feature. Is there any other version for MS Excel 2003? I installed Microsoft Office Sounds and it works in all versions from Excel 97 to Excel 2003. I didn't have to do anything special beyond selecting it under Options. So it "should" work. -- Jim Rech Excel MVP "Dirk" <Di...

Export Access Record to Specific Cells in Excel
I'm looking for suggestions on how to export data from an Access table or Query into specific cells of a Worksheet. The table I'm importing will always contain a single record only. For example, I'd like to export data from Field1, field2...etc in an access table to Sheet2!A3, Sheet2!B3...etc. Any sugestions would be most appreciative. ...

Excel to publisher import
How can I import an excel spreadsheet to publisher doc.? If you want to insert the actual spreadsheet, you can go to Insert > Object > Create from file and browse to the Excel file. If you want to merge the contents of the cells, you can use the Mail Merge feature in Publisher. -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.publishermvps.com This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "Bill" <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:80F32E78-1710-40E9-8922-CE4EBD69F5C2@microsoft.com... > How can I imp...

Excel 2007 and Word 2007 Hangs when using the File -> Open command
I have a couple users that when they have Excel 2007 or Word 2007 open, and click the File -> Open option, and choose a file, it either takes about 3 minutes to open the file or the program will crash. If they were to double click on the documents or spreadsheets, the doc or sheet will open right up. This is happening on the user's Hard drive as well as network drives. Once you get a file opened in Word or Excel, however, the next time you go to File -> Open, it's really fast to open the file. ...

Analysing data from several excel workbooks
Hi, I'm totally new to excel and i need to analyse the changes in a funding position across several years in a seperate excel sheet. As in, submissions are made year on year showing the amount of revenue spent on several different services. I need to be able to compare how those have moved over the last 5 years in a single spreadsheet. I appreciate any help. Thanks To give a clear answer we would need a bit more detail of the data layout Give us a simplified version of what the data looks like Your 'subject' talks about different workBOOKS but the text of the ...

Excel document changes format
Hi, I have an Excel document that changes format unexpectedly. It seems to change the format of the document eventhough i saved it. I have to resize the windows of the bar graphs, etc. It just doesn't save it the way i want. I re-installed MSOffice and re-did the NT profile, but still persists. Any ideas? Thanks. Excel does seem to have problems if the screen zoom is anything othe than 100%. Usually changing to 100 and back resets he screen display -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Too Many Excel Apps running
I recently installed Excel 2010. My operating system is XP Pro. Ever since I installed Excel 2010 I find that every time I open an Excel file it opens a new Excel. It is not unusual for me to have 5 different Excels open even after I close a file. My bottom ribbon is full of Excels! I previously used Excel 2003 and did not have this problem. I know these are different Excels operating because I am unable to open a split window to show two different files. Note - I usually open my files via Explorer. Is there a setting that I can use to require that my single open Excel can open any new Exce...

Linking Word and Excel #2
I have a Word document with a large number of tables linked to cells in an Excel spreadsheet. The tables in the worksheet are in the same order as those in the Word document. I would like to insert a new table between other tables linked to the Excel spreadsheet but when I insert the new table between the others in the Excel spreadsheet, it invalidates all the other linked information. I take this to mean that the links are not absolute references. Is there any way to do this without having to reconstruct the links? Thanks ...

can you date time stamp entries in excel
is it possible that when someone puts an entry on a shared worksheet in excel it can automatically date and time stamp their entry. Private Sub Worksheet_Change(By Target As Range) On Error GoTo ws_exit: Application.EnableEvents = False If Not Intersect(Target, Me.Range("A1:H10")) Is Nothing Then With Target .Offset(0, 1).Value = Format(Now, "dd mmm yyy hh:mm") End With End If ws_exit: Application.EnableEvents = True End Sub 'This is worksheet event code, which means that it needs to be 'placed in the appropriate ...

Excell 2007 messing up graphics
I have an invoice Excel sheet setup with my company logo on it. For some reason Excel 2007 messes it up during printing. It prints it about 10 times the size. I tried to re create the work sheet and it still will not print the graphic. It show it ok but will not print it. When I go to Print Preview the logo (JPG graphing) is not seen at all. Any Ideas what is going on? ...

how do i report a bug in excel
how do i report a bug in excel Hi Dave well if you'ld like to post here what you've found we can (probably) tell you if it is a known one already and maybe even suggest a solution or workaround. Cheers JulieD "dave" <dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DF36F937-24C7-4E2C-A4FF-D743A4E9AAC0@microsoft.com... > how do i report a bug in excel Or, as is often the case, not a bug at all but "just the way things work". -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "JulieD&q...

Excel & PDF
With Excel 2000 there was a PDF conversion function. Now I have Excel 2003 and there is no PDF converter. Is this right? I don't have a PDF conversion at work (xl2k). You sure your conversion software didn't come separate and installed itself as an option in excel (maybe with your Scanner/OCR???). Bob Purcell wrote: > > With Excel 2000 there was a PDF conversion function. Now > I have Excel 2003 and there is no PDF converter. Is this > right? -- Dave Peterson ec35720@msn.com ...

How do I change the inverse colour in an Excel chart?
I want to have blue bars when the values are positive and yellow when they are negative. I have checked the box for "invert if negative" when choosing the colour in Format Data Series, but I still get blue for both. David, The concept described here should work: http://www.pdbook.com/index.php/excel/conditional_column_chart/ ---- Regards, John Mansfield http://www.pdbook.com "david_hutton.NO_SPAM" wrote: > I want to have blue bars when the values are positive and yellow when they > are negative. I have checked the box for "invert if negative" wh...

open excel 2007 refresh query from batch file
Hello all, I have a simple script saved as "C:\refresh_excel.vbs" that opens an Excel file, and does a refresh for a query on Sheet 1. I created a scheduled task to run this every day. It worked fine for previous versions of Excel, but since I have upgraded to Excel 2007 it doesn't work. Any help it helping me figure this out would be appreciated. /*contents of refresh_excel.vbs*/ Set objExcel = CreateObject("Excel.Application") objExcel.Visible = True Set objWorkBook = objExcel.Workbooks.Open("C:\reports\UPS.xls") objWorkbook.Sheets("...

how do you chang language in excel
I have a swedish version of office 2003 it is in swedish but i speak english, can anyone tell me how to change it to english, other than having to go out and buy the english version. "peter curran" <petercurran17@eircom.net> wrote >I have a swedish version of office 2003 it is in swedish but i speak > english, can anyone tell me how to change it to english, other than having > to go out and buy the english version. That's a good way. In fact, it's the only way. -- Bob http://www.kanyak.com ...

Quit Excel problem
Hi, Can anyone tell me what's wrong with this macro? Its meant to save the spreadsheet (which it does), shut down the worksheet (which it does) and quit excel (which it doesn't!) I wondered whether it had something to do with the worksheet containing the macro shuting before excel executed the quit, but if I take out the ActiveWorksheet.Close, whilst excel closes I get a Dr.Watson application error. Sub Exit_Save() ' ' Exit_Save Macro ' This macro saves the current work and quits the application Application.DisplayAlerts = False ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs _ FileN...

excel #18
I have works 6.0 instaled on a xp system but i want to upgrade to excel because i have save document as save type formated text(space delimited)(*prn)and works does not have this format. First, I don't use MSWorks. But if that's the only reason for your upgrade, you might want to try this to see if it works in MSWorks: In excel, you can concatenate a bunch of cells into one cell. You could use the =concatenate() function or the & operator: =a1&b1&c1 will join a1, b1, c1 in one cell. But if you're shooting for .prn file (fixed width), you could see if you have t...

Catalog & Excel formatting
I am using Excel as a data source for a catalog. One of the price fields in Excel is a 'currency' format and is the result of a formula. Publisher imports the field but only displays the figure as 45 instead of £45.00. Anyone know of a solution to this problem ? I can get around it by re-formatting the field as a 'number' format but as most catalogs will involve lists of products with prices I think the 'currency' format should work. Thanks. The best thing to do is do a SAVE AS in CSV (Comma Separated Values) and add a � to the figures and then copy and paste th...

Hierarchical Worksheet Tabs??? New Excel feature?
I do not know if newer versions of Excel than I have have this function, but in working with a budget in Excel, it sure would be a nice feature to be able to "stack" in a hierarchy the worksheet tabs at the bottom, instead of scrolling horizontally for hundreds of feet! In other words, I want to have a Worksheet "Travel Budget" and instead of having each month's in a horizontal tab, I could scroll up and down from a "Master" worksheet to sub-worksheets ties to the master...instead of just adding worksheet after worksheet in an ever growing hard to mana...

Extra Rows in Excel 2007
I recently upgraded to Excel 2007 from 2002, and a lot of the spreadsheets seem to have something extra in the rows below the end of the data. Two examples: 1) I went to the bottom of the data in a spreadsheet and made a new entry. As soon as I hit enter, the spreadsheet started scrolling down and wouldn't stop for a couple of thousand rows. 2) I saved a spreadsheet as a csv file and another application that uses the file started having problems. So I opened the csv file in WordPad and saw a couple of hundred rows of commas. That never happened with Excel 2002. I opened the ...

Dynamically titling Excel charts
I am creating a spreadsheet tool that will be distributed as a template. The output will be a chart that will graphically show the performance of a particular quote. I would like the title of the chart to be driven by the contents of one of spreadsheet cells. Is that possible? TIA Henry Boyd In article <Xns96AF736AA4A59lhboydlhbcocom@130.81.64.196>, purchasing@lhbco.com says... > I am creating a spreadsheet tool that will be distributed as a template. > The output will be a chart that will graphically show the performance of a > particular quote. I would like the t...

Select tab to import from excel spreadsheet in Macro
I have one excel file that contains multiple tabs. Is it possible to select a specific tab to import in a Macro? I have static labels on these tabs that can be referenced. If so, which function would that be? Your help is appreciated! Kanley Just to clarify, I just need to import one tab at a time, but when i specify the worksheet name in the range field as WORKSHEET!, it wouldn't take it. Please help! On Oct 30, 11:29 am, KT <kan...@rocketmail.com> wrote: > I have one excel file that contains multiple tabs. Is it possible to > select a specific tab to import in a Mac...

convert .123 format to Excel?
Does anyone know how to convert Lotus files in .123 format to Excel? I'm working with Excel XP. Thanks Hi Doug- Open the file in Excel the same as any Excel file, although you may need to change the file type (bottom list in the Open File dialog box). If you don't know the specific Lotus version, just choose "All Files". Once you open the file in Excel go to File>Save As and open the bottom list for Save As Type. Pick the format you want. Hope this helps|:>) "Doug Rainville" wrote: > Does anyone know how to convert Lotus files in .123 format to E...

Converting MS query from Excel 2003 to Excel 2007
I have a master spreadsheet that I want to convert to xlsm format. However, I have two other spreadsheets that utilize MS Query to pull data from my master spreadsheet. How can I convert my master spreadsheet without losing the MS queries I have built in the other two spreadsheets? Is there a simple conversion process? I have tried to update the individual ms queries but I keep on getting error messages when I point to my master spreadsheet with the xlsm extension. Thanks. The "problem" with MS-Query and Excel 2007 is that instead of downloading the query to a data...