Every cell is highlighted

This is a new one for me.  Afer opening up Excel '98 and go to a cell, every
cell is highlighted when I move the mouse.  I can not put any information in
any cell.  The only way to quit Excel is control, alt, delete and then it
gives me "can not quit excel".  It does though after a while.  Wherever I
move the mouse, the cells are highlighted.  What gives?

Thanks
0
5hulses (2)

f8 key

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software
"5hulses" <5hulses@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This is a new one for me.  Afer opening up Excel '98 and go to a cell,
every
> cell is highlighted when I move the mouse.  I can not put any information
in
> any cell.  The only way to quit Excel is control, alt, delete and then it
> gives me "can not quit excel".  It does though after a while.  Wherever I
> move the mouse, the cells are highlighted.  What gives?
>
> Thanks

0
Don
3/3/2005 1:10:59 AM
A common cause of this is that you are in "Extended" or "Add" mode.

If you see "EXT" or "ADD" down on the status bar try hitting F8 key a couple
of times.

F8 will will toggle you in and out of Extended mode.  SHIFT + F8 will put you
in "ADD" mode.

With the "ADD" mode you need to re-click the mouse.  This is used to select
non-contiguous cells and ranges without using the CTRL key.

With the "EXT" mode you just click once and drag.  All cells will be selected.

If you are using a wheel-mouse tap the wheel a couple times.

Also see David McRitchie's "Ghosting" at

http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/ghosting.txt

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 16:55:04 -0800, "5hulses"
<5hulses@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>This is a new one for me.  Afer opening up Excel '98 and go to a cell, every
>cell is highlighted when I move the mouse.  I can not put any information in
>any cell.  The only way to quit Excel is control, alt, delete and then it
>gives me "can not quit excel".  It does though after a while.  Wherever I
>move the mouse, the cells are highlighted.  What gives?
>
>Thanks

0
Gord
3/3/2005 1:24:07 AM
what does the f8 key do?

"Don Guillett" wrote:

> f8 key
>
> --
> Don Guillett
> SalesAid Software
> donaldb@281.com
> "5hulses" <5hulses@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > This is a new one for me.  Afer opening up Excel '98 and go to a cell,
> every
> > cell is highlighted when I move the mouse.  I can not put any information
> in
> > any cell.  The only way to quit Excel is control, alt, delete and then it
> > gives me "can not quit excel".  It does though after a while.  Wherever I
> > move the mouse, the cells are highlighted.  What gives?
> >
> > Thanks

0
5hulses (2)
3/3/2005 1:27:01 AM
I have this same problem.  F8 does nothing for me.  There is no EXT or ADD at
the bottom of the spreadsheet.  It only happens on my laptop and not on my
desktop.

It's killin' me.  Everytime it happens, I lose any data I've keyed and not
saved.

"5hulses" wrote:

> This is a new one for me.  Afer opening up Excel '98 and go to a cell, every
> cell is highlighted when I move the mouse.  I can not put any information in
> any cell.  The only way to quit Excel is control, alt, delete and then it
> gives me "can not quit excel".  It does though after a while.  Wherever I
> move the mouse, the cells are highlighted.  What gives?
>
> Thanks
0
Ross (104)
5/1/2005 9:58:04 PM
Then join the crowd of those who have also been plagued by this "anomaly".

Check out this link of David McRitchie:

http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/ghosting.txt

--
HTH,

RD

"Don Ross" <Don Ross@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have this same problem.  F8 does nothing for me.  There is no EXT or ADD
at
> the bottom of the spreadsheet.  It only happens on my laptop and not on my
> desktop.
>
> It's killin' me.  Everytime it happens, I lose any data I've keyed and not
> saved.
>

> "5hulses" wrote:
>
> > This is a new one for me.  Afer opening up Excel '98 and go to a cell,
every
> > cell is highlighted when I move the mouse.  I can not put any
information in
> > any cell.  The only way to quit Excel is control, alt, delete and then
it
> > gives me "can not quit excel".  It does though after a while.  Wherever
> > move the mouse, the cells are highlighted.  What gives?
> >
> > Thanks

0
ragdyer1 (4060)

finding the password to unlock a protected cell/chart
I'm trying answer a survey in an excel sheet and everytime I try to type in an answer a message comes up saying I need to remove protection.When I head up to tools and follow the prompts,I need a password to complete the procedure . Can anyone tell me what that password is ? Thanks P Hi, Have you contacted the original author of the survey? Cheers Andy Pizza wrote: > I'm trying answer a survey in an excel sheet and everytime I try to type in > an answer a message comes up saying I need to remove protection.When I head > up to tools and follow the prompts,I need a p...

Concatenate multiple rows and columns into 1 cell
I have a spreadsheet using 3 columns and n number of rows worth of data. I am trying to create one long string of this data by concatenating in the following order: A1,B1,C1,A2,B2,C2,A3,B3,C3, etc. The only way I know how to do a large range is to individually click on each cell and that will take a very long time. Is there an easy way to concatenate a range such as (A1:C500)? Thank you. You are aware that a cell can take in limited number of characters. Any more than that number, the result will be truncated please. "mj44" <mj44@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in ...

Excel 2007
In Excel 2003, one could select a cell, highlight a part of the contained text string and then right-clidk and format text. I could get underlining, bold, font, color, etc. For some reason, with Excel 2007, I can do the same, but when I hit the enter button, the formatting disappears. It reappears if I select the cell and press F2. Is there some setting that I have missed? ...

Excel Cell Protection not Working
Hi All, I am experiencing a problem with Excel cell locking / sheet protection. When I format a range of cells to be locked and then protect the sheet. Only the very first cell selected out of the wider selection becomes read-only. If I unlock this cell then select all the other cells then protect, none of them become read-only. Therefore the protected cell is not moving but instead becomes just one cell on the sheet every time if it is locked. Any ideas? Regards, Sean Usual procedure is.................. CTRL + a to select all cells. Format>Cells>Protection.........

Excel 2003
My spreadsheet has auto filter set and has therefore created lists at the top of each column within my specified range of cells. I would like to retain the first 3 lists but delete the rest. Is this possible? Cheers. Deselect autofilter, then select the 3 consecutive columns which you wish to cover with the filter, then reselect autofilter. -- David Biddulph "Champ" <Champ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F942A84F-1EE0-42E7-97A3-E75FD8845905@microsoft.com... > My spreadsheet has auto filter set and has therefore created lists at the >...

Space within cells
How do you create a space between sentences within one cell? Use Alt + <Enter> to add a carriage return to your cell. -- HTH... Jim Thomlinson "J" wrote: > How do you create a space between sentences within one cell? Hit the space bar? If you mean you want to force the next sentence onto a new line within that cell, hit and hold the alt key when you hit Enter. If you see a little box where that alt-enter is, then you have to change the wrap text property. Rightclick on that cell Format Cells|Alignment tab|check "Wrap text" J w...

Repeat Rows but not on every page!
Is it possible to set the repeat for just a certain number of pages, not all? Example: I want to repeat $2:$2 on page 1 through 6 but I don't want the repeat on pages 7 through 10. Is there a way to define this? Setup a custom print macro that prints pages 1-6 with the repeated row, and pages 7 - 10 w/o repeat? (You can record this macro yourself) -- Best Regards, Luke M "AndreaW" <AndreaW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6BD8310D-2369-4C64-A4CC-04E16F50CFDD@microsoft.com... > Is it possible to set the repeat for just a certain numbe...

selecting cell problem
when i open excel and click once on a single cell, the cursor starts to select everything when i move the cursor as if im holding down the left click button. anyone know how to fix. Hi check if hitting F8 helps -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany jason wrote: > when i open excel and click once on a single cell, the > cursor starts to select everything when i move the cursor > as if im holding down the left click button. anyone know > how to fix. i see what your saying about F8 but thats not it. the cells are selected as you move your cursor not by clicking one cel...

field highlight
i have an account spreadsheet. with a column heading reading status. How can i tell excel to highlight all cells containing status "I" fo inactive in red, and status "A" for active in green -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com You would use Format>Conditional Formatting for this. Select the column in question(I'll assume A). Format>Conditional Formatting>Formula is: enter =A1="I" Format>Pattern Red>OK Add =A1="A" Format>Pattern Green>OK Note: you can use up to three conditional formats(four if you count...

Reference different lines in the same cell
Hi all, I have an excel sheet were in some cells there are multiple lines created by pressing "Alt + Enter". Is it possible to reference each individual line within these cells separately in a formula? Thanks a lot To a certain extent yes. E.g. if A1 contains one Alt+Enter then =LEFT(A1,SEARCH(CHAR(10),A1)-1) returns the content before Alt+Enter, =RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-SEARCH(CHAR(10),A1)) after Alt+Enter. -- Regards! Stefi „Panos” ezt írta: > Hi all, > > I have an excel sheet were in some cells there are multiple lines created by > pre...

How can I change the color/type of the borders I put on cells?
When I use the "Cell Border" button on the toolbar to put borders around selected cells, is there a way I can change the color/type of the border lines (for the whole worksheet)? Tools>Options>View and change the colour in the Color dropdown. -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Tourkow" <Tourkow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:72EDA2CE-6739-434F-A7EA-AF83C7BA9F12@microsoft.com... > When I use the "Cell Border" button on the toolbar to put borders around > selected cells, is there a way I ...

How format cells ?
Hi I want format money for example '12,35 z�' - i want to show this as '12.35 z�' How i may write fiormula to this work ? Fantom ps. Soory but my english is poor Fantom Format>Cells>Number>Custom #,##0.00"z then hit ALT + 0179(on numpad) then add another " Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 15:30:51 +0100, "Fantom" <szczukot@skasujto.poczta.onet.pl> wrote: >Hi >I want format money >for example '12,35 z�' - i want to show this as '12.35 z�' >How i may write fiormula to this work ? > >Fantom >...

remove bold from cell ref headers
On one of my worksheets it has put the cell headers ie A B C D across and 1 2 3 4 etc down in bold but other worksheets are ok how do I change this to remove bold? Many thanks in advance Angie Format|style|Normal|Modify|Font Tab|remove the Bolding (make it regular) Angiew wrote: > > On one of my worksheets it has put the cell headers ie A B C D across and 1 2 > 3 4 etc down in bold but other worksheets are ok how do I change this to > remove bold? > > Many thanks in advance > > Angie -- Dave Peterson ...

Make Cells Diagonal
How do I make the top "label row" of the columns diagonal (45 degree angle) instead of horizontal. I have seen it done but don't know how to do it. Thank you. ...

How can I search a worksheet for content matching a specified cell's content
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I want to search a worksheet for a value that matches the value in a specific cell then returns the contents of a cell related to the matched cell. Something like: <br> If B is the cell whose contents (a number) is equal to the contents of cell A, return the contents of C(B), where C(B) specifies a cell relative to B. You want the VLOOKUP function. Read its entry in the help very carefully: it's tricky. Make sure you set range_lookup to FALSE, so you know when you did NOT find something. Cheer...

How to record every purchase payed with cash
In MS Money 2004, how to record each purchase payed by cash? For example, I withdrawed $200 from my checking account and I want to record every purchase payed with this cash. Thanks. Ian Can you tell me more detail about where to find this Q6? Thanks. Ian >-----Original Message----- >In microsoft.public.money, Ian wrote: > >>In MS Money 2004, how to record each purchase payed by >>cash? For example, I withdrawed $200 from my checking >>account and I want to record every purchase payed with >>this cash. Thanks. > >Read "Q6): How do other u...

Finding first cell
Could someone please advise how to bring the first cell to view (using VBA) when the following conditions are in play. 1. The first cell to view starts at row 26 2. Row 25 and above are frozen and locked 3. Some of the rows/cells below 25 may also be locked 4. All locked cells are set as unselectable I locked some cells in a test worksheet and then protected it in code: Option Explicit Sub testme01() Dim wks As Worksheet Set wks = ActiveSheet With wks .EnableSelection = xlUnlockedCells .Protect Password:="hi" End With End Sub Then...

Increasing a number by one every month
Hi Could someone please help me, I have a tab that has data in a column ie 100100010 100200010 100300010 100400010 100500010 100600010 Is there any way I can increase the 7th and 8th digit which is 01 to 02 the following month and then to 03 the following month without doing data entry. Thanks for your assistance David -- david72 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ david72's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=7980 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=520360 Hi David With 1...

Keeping cells colored
I have an XL2003 spreadsheet in which i want cells a11:b15 to always be red, and c16:c20 to always be blue. Problem is, i have to copy data into these cells from cells that have no color. Sometimes the range i copy from will have 1 row only, sometimes 2, sometimes 3, up to 5, so sometimes i copy into a11:b11, sometimes a11:b12, etc. After i copy i would like the cells copied into to return to red, or blue. Thanks, Tonso Tonso explained on 3/18/2011 : > I have an XL2003 spreadsheet in which i want cells a11:b15 to always > be red, and c16:c20 to always be blue. Problem is, i have to c...

Cell Colour Change
Hi, I have this code With Sheet1.Range(Runinfo1.ComboBox2.Value) If .Range("b2") <> "" And .Range("b7") = "" And OptionButton2.Value = True Then ..Range("b9").Interior.ColorIndex = 5 End If I'm trying to change the colour of the cell if option2 button is selected (after my command button is pressed) but it doesn't work. I'm assuming it is the ".Range("b9").Interior.ColorIndex = 5" part... Any ideas? Cheers... You may want to look at ths construction of this: I'm not sure about this with sheet1...

How do you tab in a cell?
i want to tab the text over in a cell. If i push Tab it goes to next cell...i dont' want that .....help!!! Hi I don't believe you can do this within a cell If you want to create a new line within a cell, press Alt + Enter Otherwise , use the space bar to create your Tab distance HTH Michael Mitchelson "Dastik" wrote: > i want to tab the text over in a cell. If i push Tab it goes to next > cell...i dont' want that .....help!!! Dastik, I'm hoping I understand what you are trying to do. If you have text in a cell and simply want to indent the text withi...

unwanted formula in cell instead of calc
I have numerous formulas in the cells of my spreadsheet that return correct results. Suddenly some of the cells I am entering formulas into display the formula instead of the result and I can't get rid of it. I have tried toggling Ctrl+~. The formulas appear identical to adjacent ones that work fine. I have tried pasting the format from working cells into the malfunctioning cells. No help. Any idea what's going on? ...

more than 4 color choses for cell/colum
I an new to excess so please show me how this is to be done I would like to put a letter in a cell but all in the same colum. "A" and get a color ( dont matter what color ) "B" and get a color ( dont matter what color ) "C" and get a color ( dont matter what color ) "D" and get a color ( dont matter what color ) "E" and get a color ( dont matter what color ) thanks jladika@millenniumimagingfl.com jo -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi only possible with VBA as conditional formating only supports 3 conditi...

Tab key don't work in unprotected cells in a protected sheet
I have a work book with multiple sheets. One of the sheet that is protected with some unprotected cells when i tried to use the tab key it does not work. However other sheets in the same work with the same situation work ok ...

Strange cell behaviour
We are trying to type a number range in a cell in an excel 2002 spread sheet, ex. '10-20' (without the quotes). When we leave the cell, it defaults to date format, '20-Oct'. When we change the format of the cell to number or general, it fills in with '40471'. What can we do to get the cell to display literally what we type in it? Thanks. Pre format as text -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett@gmail.com "capitan" <me69@privacy.com> wrote in message news:hr9ie0$qlm$1@speranza.aioe.org... > We are tr...