Error Message #9

Hello !

I am receiving an error message, "File format is not
valid" when trying to open an excel file located on the
network.  This file was created to reserve equipment
and/or boardrooms within the organization.  What must I do
to correct this problem?

Hmmm... does the message say anything else?  what version of Excel are
you using?  can other users in your company open that file?

Sean

Sometimes excel workbooks get corrupted.

One cause is opening them from a floppy and saving to that floppy.  (Instead you
should use windows explorer to copy to your harddrive/LAN drive), work on it
from there, save it there and use windows explorer to copy it back to the
floppy.)  <<this doesn't sound like a fit for your situation.>>

Another is opening the workbook in MSWord and saving it as an MSWord document
(with a .xls extension).

If someone did the MSWord thing, you maybe able to recover a little bit of your
data by opening it in MSWord and copying and then pasting to excel.  (But tons
of stuff will be lost.)

And sometimes the workbooks just get corrupted.

You might be able to recover more by using another program--both xl2002 and
OpenOffice have better reputations for opening files that earlier versions of
excel couldn't.

(http://www.openoffice.org, a 60-65 meg download or a CD)

If the file is really important, there are commercial recovery services.  I've
never used it, but you might want to check into:
http://www.officerecovery.com

Do you have a backup?  Any chance you emailed a version to someone who could
email it back?

and one last ditch effort:
Start excel in safe mode and try opening your file.

Windows start button|Run
excel /safe

now file|open to see if your workbook will open.

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

I keep getting and error on start of Office x.v
I just purchased Office X.v and installed it onto my Mac. I also removed Office Test Drive before installing the full Office X.v, but i didn't empty my trash. So after I installed the full version i keep getting the error "An unexpected error occurred while trying to load Microsoft Framework X library" on all office programs. I read on mactopia that this could be caused by "lock" identities in the microsoft identity file, but all of mine are unlocked. When i tried to empty my trash, it would not empty a few microsoft file because it says they are in use. Framework ...

save sent messages without attachment
Hi. Does anybody know how to save sent messages without the attachment? Thanks, Candee ...

MSVCRT.DLL error...
Recently, when starting Outlook 2000, I started getting the message: "OUTLOOK caused an invalid page fault in module MSVCRT.DLL at 0167:7800d4fl." & Outlook quits. I have tried the following: Making sure I had the latest service packs & updates Ran the repair office option from the install disk Completely removed & re-installed Office 2000 Replaced the MSVCRT.DLL file from the Win98 disk Ran the MS Libraries update And am still getting the same results! Can anyone help? Thanks- FYI, I'm running Win98 on a PII 500MHz with 64MB Ram. (I know, it's a dinosaur!) ...

Window Mail losing saved message content
In some folders whatever message I click on the same message opens regardless. If I try to move a message back to the Inbox then all messages in the folder show as "cannot find content" I have not deleted these messages but saved them in folders. Where did they go? How do I get them back? This has happened since my last backup so I cannot get them from the external backup file. Plus, this sho7uld not happen. I checked another folder, first it worked, then later it went bad as well. How do I get my emails restored, and how do I prevent this crap from happening ag...

Post Exchange SP2 install outgoing messages not being delivered
I have just finished installing SP1 for Windows 2003 Server and SP2 for Exchange 2003, since the install mail being sent to specific servers i.e aol.com, yahoo.com, and a few others is not flowing, it is being queued and not being delivered as before. I need to find a fix for this issue fast, Any and all help with this would be greatly appreciated. OS: Windows 2003 Server Standard w/ SP1 and all updates Exchange Server 2003 with SP2 Thanks in advance. That usually indicates that the server cannot resolve the target domains in DNS. I have seen similar problems caused by the virus scann...

Outlook 200 messages all contain attachments
Just in the last day or so every message I have received has had attached a text file with the text of the message. This is in addition to the message itself. I don't know what I might have done to change an option and can't find anything in the options menus that might affect this. Any ideas? Bob Weinheimer Charleston, WV Have you tried rebooting? I had that happen once a long time ago and a reboot cured it. "Bob Weinheimer" <rmweinheimer@ntelos.net> wrote in message news:2DjXe.20694$tc7.18573@fe03.lga... > Just in the last day or so every message I have r...

WMP 11 error C00D1163 (after update KB971513)
Windows Media Player 11 will not play DVDs. I always get error C00D1163 "Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because there is a problem with digital copy protection between your DVD drive, decoder, and video card. Try installing an updated driver for your video card." DVDs I have owned for years are now impossible to play (so are rentals). I am having the same problem as others in this forum, although my system configuration is different -- which indicates this is a widespread problem. It is an interesting coincidence that my problem started immediately ...

"You forwarded this message" icon
Is there anyway of removing the icon that shows that a message has been forwarded? Thanks for any help on this! No. Busted. "Tractorhead" wrote: > Is there anyway of removing the icon that shows that a message has been > forwarded? > > Thanks for any help on this! Sure, reply to it. Jacob "Tractorhead" wrote: > Is there anyway of removing the icon that shows that a message has been > forwarded? > > Thanks for any help on this! good one "Jake" wrote: > Sure, reply to it. > > Jacob > ...

clicking TOOLS/OPTIONS gives me error msg "cannot access dir D:/"
I need to change settings in the TOOLS/OPTIONS menu. But when I click on any tab in the OPTIONS menu it gives me the error message "cannot access dir D:/documents" I may have changed the name of that directory at some point and I suspect that is the problem. However I still need to change settings in the TOOLS/OPTIONS menu. How do I fix it? Hi Lori Close Excel Add this directory D:/documents and try again And try again -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Lori Rossi" <Lori Rossi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:34A25E1A-D...

How to set Recipient Limits option under Message Delivery for certain users
Dear All, Quick Question: under Global Settings --> Message Delivery , under the properites of Message Delivery there is an option called "Recipient Limits" which will limit the number of recipients per single email, the defaul number is 5000 recipient per single email. now, if i applied this settings and i mentioned 30 recipients, these settings will be applied to all the users under my exchange server, becasue it is under the Global Settings of Exchange. Now, how can i exclude some VIP users from such settings ? i don't want this Global Settings for recipient limits...

Outlook Web Access error
Got this error message when trying to access my mailbox from Outlook Web Access. "Unable to get renderer" This happened on a particular machine but work fine on other machine. Anyone know what going on? ...

GP 9.0 Password Issues
After you upgrade to 9.0, the first time a user logs in, the user is forced to change his password. GP encrypts the password (it encrypts all user passwords other than sa). After this stupid encryption, none of the other programs such as SQL Query Analyzer, Crystal Reports, Access etc can recognize this password. Unlike in 8.0, an user who was able to login to Crystal before can't login now with GP credentials. Has anyone experienced this ? What is the resolution to this if any. Thanks Girish It should have encrypted it in 8.0 as well. AFAIK, it's done that the entire time ...

Error in code exportin tables to excel
I'm tryin to export a table to excel with the code: Private Sub Command4_Click() On Error GoTo Err_Command0_Click Dim stDocName As String stDocName = "F01_UT" DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet acExport, acSpreadsheetTypeExcel9, F01_UT, "C:\TRY\Tbls", True Exit_Command0_Click: Exit Sub Err_Command0_Click: MsgBox Err.Description Resume Exit_Command0_Click End Sub However, Access displays the message: Compile error : Syntax error What I'm doing wrong? If I want to export more tablas do I have to write more lines (DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet acExport, acSpr...

automatic warning message
Hi, Is it possible to add an automatic enterprise warning message in bottom of each email sent by Exchange 2003 Thanks Marc There are a number of 3rd party tools that do this. The easiest native way to do this is with an event sink. The following KB will step you through setting this up: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;317327&Product=exch2003 "Marc D" <asdasdasd@asdasd.com> wrote in message news:%23nJ75lxpFHA.1260@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Hi, Is it possible to add an automatic enterprise warning message in > bottom of each email...

Help with
I am currently in the process of migrating exchange 2000 to exchange 2003 on new hardware. I have transfered the RUS role, offline address book role and replicated the public folders ect. and now am beginning to move maiboxes. I noticed 3 very repetive errors in the application event log however. I was wondering if someone could tell me whether these messages are somthing I should be concerned with. See them below. So far I have no user complaints about outlook. Thanks. Event ID: 9320 Source MSExchangeSA Type Warning Description OALGen could not generate full details for some en...

Disabling Unicode Messaging
Apparently Exchange 2003 uses Unicode Messaging which previous versions of Exch did not. Now that we have migrated all of our users from Exch 2000 to 2003 their OST files will not work. We have no need for Unicode messaging so rather than rebuilding all of our User's Outlook Profile we would rather simply "disable" Unicode Messaging on the Exch Server. Does anyone have any idea how to do that? Can it be done once the server is in use and has 150+ mailboxes on it Thanks for any input Michael ...

Exchange 5.5 message.txt
Hi, I have problem. I got email with error message: This message uses a character set that is not supported by the Internet Service. To view the original message content, open the attached message. If the text doesn't display correctly, save the attachment to disk, and then open it using a viewer that can display the original character set. <<message.txt>> Anyone knows the solution? ...

Sent Mail Error Outlook Express
IN OUTLOOK EXPRESS WHEN I SEND E-MAIL I GET AN OUTLOOK EXPRESS MESSAGE BOX THAT SAYS Some errors occurred while processing the requested tasks. Please review the list of errors below for more details. BUT THERE ARE NO DETAILS. THE EMAILS ARE NOT GOING TO THE SENT MAIL FOLDER. THE EMAILS ARE BEING DELIVERED AND RECEIVED BUT ON MY END THEY REMAIN IN THE OUTBOX AND ARE NOT GOING TO THE SENT MAIL FOLDER. I MUST CLEAR THE OUTLOOK EXPRESS ERROR BOX THEN DRAG THE SENT? MESSAGE OUT OF THE OUTBOX SO IT WON'T BE SENT AGAIN. ALSO YESTERDAY ALL PREVIOUS EMAIL IN THE SENT MAIL FOLDER DI...

Headers for internal messages
I've been asked to find a way to display message headers in Outlook for our local Exchange communications, IE employee to employee message. I'm aware that you can go into Outlook and view a message's full header under Message Options, but this only works for internet based messages. We'd really like to be able to see the originating client IP address for our Exchange messages in that Options box. Is something like that possible for Exchange? I've seen it with other systems. Thanks! TxKevo wrote: > I've been asked to find a way to display message headers i...

Errors after I installed SP4
I installed SP4 to Windows 2000 server. I am running exchange server 5.5. The users cannot access their mailbox. I made all the users administrators to enable access to their mailbox. I cannot create a new mailbox. I get an error when I create a new mailbox. Error: Event Type: Information Event Source: MSExchangeSA Event Category: General Event ID: 5011 Date: 8/31/2004 Time: 2:49:43 PM User: N/A Computer: RCI2 Description: Error You do not have the permissions required to complete the operation. occurred during address generation. Please help me. 1. Verify that the Exchange Service Ac...

VBA type mismatch error
Hello all, The following line is in an Excel function: j = Application.Find(v, Cells(cnt, 1).Value) When watched, v has a value of "s" with type variant/string. cells(cnt,1).value has a value of 2 with a type of variant/double. I assume that the type mismatch occurs because the character "S" can't be found in an integer. How do I get this to work? TIA. Pierre. -- Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com VBA has its own version of =find(). Take a look at VBAs help for InStr. =find() will return an error if there isn't a match. Dim j...

outlook 2000
running on home computer, no exhange or server. when I open an inbox message and close it, the message disappears, it isnt in other folders or in delteld files folder. If I move the message to another folder before opening it, then open the message in that folder, I am fine I can open and close it without losing it. I have been running everything fine for a couple of years now, only in the last moth did this start happening. I have reformatted and reloaded my computer, it doesnt help. I have taken mirosoft outlook express off the computer, that doesnt help either. I only have o...

Changing mind about sending message
How does one cancel a sent message? I changed my mind about one that I sent and now I want to cancel it. I can do this with Internet Explorer, but can't seem to find the option in Outlook Express. Thanks. Shari Next time, post in an Outlook Express group - this is not one of them. This group supports Outlook from the MIcrosoft Office suite - Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer. AFAIK, Outlook Express does not have support for message recall and only Outlook when using an Exchange server has a somewhat flaky message recall function. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlo...

opencurrentdatabase error/help
dears, im opening an access03 database with vb6 like application.opencurrentdatabase("c:/documents and settings/admin/folder/database.mdb",true,"password") application.docmd.open"myform" application.docmd.maximise docmd.maximise included in form open event also in the database kindly help me with (1) after this code runs access opening with small rectangular window(half of screen vertically) even all access databases are opening this way (2) if the above said path changes for the database error 7866 occuring in error event i would like to include some c...

Error importing Quicksell 2000 data
I've followed the instructions exactly as indicated in the help file. When I reach the final step where the actual import is to take place I get the error: Invalid Object Name 'VersionHistory' SELECT TOP 1 Version FROM VersionHistory ORDER BY ID DESC It appears that it's having a problem with the Access database when it tries to retrieve the latest version number of Quicksell 2000 (which is 3.01 on our system) I've used the QS2000 doctor to compact and repair the database, but the problem still exists. Any suggestions are appreciated. If you can ZIP the datab...