Equations and Text in same Cell

I am using Excel to write a program.  I would like to incorporate text within
the same cell as the result of an equation but the I cannot control the
number of decimal places that the output displays.  I've tried using the
Number tab in the Format Cell feature but nothing changes.

Is there a way to control the number of decimal places when you are
combining text with the results of an equation?

yes. you could incorperate the round() funciton.
post your formula

regards
FSt1

"Eric" wrote:

> I am using Excel to write a program.  I would like to incorporate text within
> the same cell as the result of an equation but the I cannot control the
> number of decimal places that the output displays.  I've tried using the
> Number tab in the Format Cell feature but nothing changes.
>
> Is there a way to control the number of decimal places when you are
> combining text with the results of an equation?
Something like this?

="You now owe us " & TEXT(A2,"$#,##0.00")

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 13:28:01 -0700, Eric <Eric@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I am using Excel to write a program.  I would like to incorporate text within
>the same cell as the result of an equation but the I cannot control the
>number of decimal places that the output displays.  I've tried using the
>Number tab in the Format Cell feature but nothing changes.
>
>Is there a way to control the number of decimal places when you are
>combining text with the results of an equation?

0
Gord

Text Box hide & unhinde with mouse?
How do i Attach th text box on the right hand side corner of the sheet and hide it their and when i take mouse their it comes out. Cannot be done in Excel with just a 'mouse-over'. Could be done with VBA (macro) using Worksheet_SelectionChange() event. You would have to click on a particular cell to make it come out (become visible). "Anand vijay" wrote: > How do i Attach th text box on the right hand side corner of the sheet and > hide it their and when i take mouse their it comes out. how do i do that with the help of cell "JLatham" wrote: > C...

find column with text data in row 1
I have the following macro which bounces me back and forth between b:k and m:u Private Sub Workbook_SheetBeforeDoubleClick( _ ByVal Sh As Object, ByVal target As Range, Cancel As Boolean) If Not Intersect(target, Range("B:J")) Is Nothing Then target.Offset(0, 11).Select If Not Intersect(target, Range("M:U")) Is Nothing Then target.Offset(0, -11).Select End Sub Now I would like to build on that. My K Column is my delimiter with the static text 'Totals'. I would like to be able to have the functionality of the above without have the number of columns static, so...

text flow
Is there a way to have text flow around the outline of a graphic so the text takes the form of the image? A small child turns to Ed, and exclaims: "Look! Look! A post from Brian Lubroth <blubroth@communityschool.us>!"... > Is there a way to have text flow around the outline of a > graphic so the text takes the form of the image? Use the "Tight" wrapping option? -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://www.mvps.org/the_nerd/ Before reading this message, view the disclaimer: http://mvps.org/the_nerd/disclaim.htm I'm not really looking to wrap the...

Email in plain text?
Does anyone know if CRM can send emails in plain text? HTML seems to be the default. Thanks ...

When I am in one cell highlight another
Hello, When I am in one cell highlight another. Lets say that if my cursor is in A1 I want D1 highlighted or with another cursor on it. Then if I move to A2, D2 should be the one with another cursor or highlighted. Thank you for your help, Jose Juan Diaz hi, Jose Juan ! > When I am in one cell highlight another > ... if my cursor is in A1... D1 highlighted or with another cursor on it. > ... if I move to A2, D2 should be the one with another cursor or highlighted. 'put' a cursor on non-active-cell... [I don't think it's possible] :( to highlight 'D' wh...

Cell shading not working in Excel 2003
Anyone run into this bizarre behiour ?... When editing spreadsheet using Excel 2003 (Student Teacher Ed.)in normal view mode, the cell shading (and patterns) do not display on the cell. Black and white patterns do not show and colors do not show. The cell remains default white background. The shading patterns and colors selected **do** however, display perfectly when view sheet in print preview mode..I'm not using conditional cell formatting or anything that would otherwise affect the cell shading. Running on Windows XP Home. marty Hi Marty, Sound like a video problem. I can add border, f...

typing text onto two lines (one above the other) in one cell
What is the command and syntax to do the above? Thank you. Will, Press the Alt-Enter keys at the same time in a sentence to go to a different line within the same cell. ---- Regards, John Mansfield http://www.pdbook.com "Will Naylor" wrote: > What is the command and syntax to do the above? > > Thank you. > ...

Moving rows from one sheet to another based on a particular cell v
Here's what i am trying to do - Create a status report of multiple worksheets. The first sheet will include all items in an "open Status" - Status column. I would like to have seperate reports for deferred, closed and pending. When I change a status on the first sheet to closed. Is it possible to have the entire row moved to the closed report worksheet. I am not great at this so if this is possible - i'll need some step by step help. ...

Use a picture as text
I recently saw a brochure made with MS Publisher that had text that was made from a photograph. Does anyone know if this was done in publisher and if so how it's done? It was a picture of a truck on the road seen as several letters to form the picture. The letters looked like word art. Thank you "KathySam" wrote: >I recently saw a brochure made with MS Publisher that had text that was >made > from a photograph. Does anyone know if this was done in publisher and if > so > how it's done? It was a picture of a truck on the road seen as several > letter...

How do you change the size of a range of cells in a column/row
without changing all cell sizes in those rows or columns You can't, width and height are properties of columns and rows, not cells. You can merge cells in two columns or rows to combine their width or height. In article <0F00CD03-E47C-44AD-9185-89BEEF4D3FEB@microsoft.com>, SOkoll <SOkoll@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > without changing all cell sizes in those rows or columns ...

Display text as date
Hey guys :) I use this formula =">="&DATEVALUE(Files!D3)+TIMEVALUE(Files!D3) to display and use as filteroption. (Dont ask why I have to do this exercise....) However the formula works all right but the display appears as decimalnumber in this text expression: Actual displayed: >=40170,6145833333 Wanted displayed: >=23.12.2009 14:45:00 I KNOW that there is some way to transform the expression displayed, but have not found anything useful on the web - so far. Are there anybody called to give me a hand on this one? Best regards Snoopy (Wish you a Happy ...

summing cells of Time
I got an answere to my other message but the trouble is it did not work -- --when summing a group of cells that have time in then the help says use this formula =Sum (cell:cell) if it is to be more than 24 hours the formula is =sum(cell:cell)*24 the trouble is nomater how I format the cells it still comes up either 0 or 0:00 Hi format your target cell with the custom format [hh]:mm to prevent the rollover after 24 hours -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Don Scarbrough wrote: > I got an answere to my other message but the trouble is it > did not work -- --when summing a ...

Number Stored As Text 11-18-09
What property of a cell should I check to determine whether that cell contains a number stored as text? I have some cells which Excel 2007 tells me, via the office assistant, are numbers stored as text. I want to loop through all the cells in the used range testing for and correcting this. Paul Smith On Nov 18, 12:11=A0pm, "Paul W Smith" <p...@NOSPAM.twelve.me.uk> wrote: > What property of a cell should I check to determine whether that cell > contains a number stored as text? > > I have some cells which Excel 2007 tells me, via the office as...

Move to next cell problem
I am a very rare Excel user. Should I be able to move the cursor with the arrow keys? Thanks, Robin Chapple Hi Robin yes you should. what happens when you try? does the tab key work, what happens when you press the enter key? Cheers JulieD "Robin Chapple" <robinski@melbpc.org.au> wrote in message news:0rcrp0dstl4avdqben0t4c6137n0o32ql1@4ax.com... >I am a very rare Excel user. > > Should I be able to move the cursor with the arrow keys? > > Thanks, > > Robin Chapple Robin Also, what mode are you in? If in Edit mode in a cell the arrow key ju...

zeros in cells with formulas
when I enter a formula in a cell it displays a 0, when there is not an answer to the formula. Is there a way to keep the formula but get rid of the zeros any help is greatly apperciated! Thanks, Darrell Two ways, In Tools>Options>View, uncheck the zero values checkbox - that hides them Other way is to trap it, like =IF(formula=0,"",formula) -- HTH Bob Phillips ... looking out across Poole Harbour to the Purbecks (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Darrell" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D4B48DFF-...

copy a cell value not its function
Excel question: ce11 A1 value=500 Cell B1 value=600 Cell C1 value=2000 Cell D1 value=50 Cell E1 value=C1-D1-B1-A1 use contrl+D to copy cell E1 value all the column down to cell E100 What I wnat is to use contrl+D to copy E1 value not its fuction. Please if someone could help. Hi KC, To copy down the snapshot value of E1: Select E1 | Copy | Select E1:E100 | Paste Special | Values | Ok -- OR -- To copy down a value which wll equal E1 and reflect any change in E1: Select E1 | Select the entire formula in the formula bar and hit F4 to convert to an absolute formula | drag down --- Reg...

Shapes/Text
How can i make words in the shape of a heart (for example) I want my words to illustrate a shape. Please help. You really can't, Publisher can add text to a shape, but only as a rectangle. If you have patience I have a method on my web page that shows how to do text in shape of a heart. Takes some work. Scroll way to the bottom of the page. http://msauer.mvps.org/more_graphics.htm -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "ShapeUser" <ShapeUser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CABE22F7-82BF-40C9-8125-09E088C090C6@microsoft.com... ...

Text print size
Hello, here is my problem, when printing an excel sheet, the size of texts seems to be bigger than on the screen. The effect is that some of them are cutted : they fill in the cells only on the screen. On the printed page (or on the print preview) the text is bigger, and does not fit anymore. I do not understand why the text size is not the same on the screen and when printing. I tryed with True Type or not / I tryed qith auto-scale of the page or not / always the same result. What's the matter ? How to change that ? -- dc any idea ? any one ? Are you writing about text in...

Copy range to different columns depending on cell value
What I would like to do is look at a range (A6:IXXX), where XXX is the last row of the range, and if there is NOT an "X" in I6, copy that row to another range (K6:S6), this would look at each row and copy to the new range if "I" is empty. Is this possible to do? Try this Sub MoveRange() Dim I As Long Dim aLastRow As Long Dim dLastRow As Long Dim ws As Worksheet Dim aRange As Range Dim dRange As Range Set ws = Worksheets(2) aLastRow = ws.Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row For I = 6 To aLastRow Set aRange = Range(&q...

format for two rows of text
Is there a way to enter two rows of text in a single cell or row of cells? To start a new line in a text, press Alt+Enter Charlie wrote: > Is there a way to enter two rows of text in a single cell > or row of cells? -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html ...

skipping blank cells in dynamic chart
I am creating a dynamic chart that captures 24 months of data. I'm using a vlookup to put data into the cells and it goes out 5 years. It looks like the dynamic chart code picks up the vlookup code 5 years out and tries to chart it. It also picks up months where no production accured. Is there away to ignore the vlookup if no data is in the cell? Here is a sample of my data: Dec 05 700 Jan 06 725 Feb 06 720 Mar 06 695 Apr 06 710 "blank" "blank" Jun 06 720 Jul 06 700 "blank" "blank" Aug 06 ...

Need VBA code to enter text into a textbox !!!!
Does anybody know one line of code that will allow me to enter a number into a textbox on a worksheet. when I record a macro I get.. Sheets("venn").Select ActiveSheet.Shapes("Text Box 27").Select Selection.Characters.Text = "123" I thought this implies I could code this like so... Dim sht as sheet set sht = activesheet.shapes("Text Box 27") sht.characters.text = "123" set sht = nothing But this does not work !! what is the correct way of doing this ? How about: Option Explicit Sub testme() Dim sht As W...

How do I multiply the content of a cell by a number
I need to multiply the content of a cell by a number (e.g. 2) but have been receiving the error message saying that there is a circular reference. Is there a way out? EXCEL 2007 In cell A1 I type the number 1. In cell B1 I type the number 2. In cell C1 I type:- =(A1*B1) This gives a result of 2 in cell C1. Hope the above helps. If it does please hit Yes. Thanks. "KTK" wrote: > I need to multiply the content of a cell by a number (e.g. 2) but have been > receiving the error message saying that there is a circular reference. Is &g...

VBA: move to the next cell down from anywhere in the sheet
I am deleting rows based on a value in a column (< 16) and if the valu is 16 or greater I want to move down to the next row and check tha value and so on. i am using a Do Until value = "". What is the code for moving down to the next cell below ActiveCell -- jm ----------------------------------------------------------------------- jmp's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2903 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=48770 Activecell.Offset(1,0).Select I would not recommend this though. If you want to dele...

Border lines on the side of the date cell partially missing
Outlook 2003 (version 11.8118.8107) on XP SP2 Pro. As of few days ago my Calendar appears with the border lines on the side of the date cell partially missing. They are white or gray roughly the height of the adjacent date number, while the rest of the line is OK (black). Any ideas? I'm trying to picture this...can you give me a little more detail? What view are you using? (monthly, daily, etc) Which side? (right, left) Could it be that you have an appointment booked during that time? Nikki Peterson "Jerry" <duncan_jeremy@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:...