Entering text in a cell.

I have an employee who is used to using Quartro Pro, and we just switched over to Excel. In Quartro, she could enter numbers using the -130. format, that is minus, 130, dot; and press the right or left arrow keys to change cells. In Excel, when she does that, it wants to enter an formula, -130.B3 , the B3 is what ever cell she goes to. Can this be turned off, if so how

Garling
0
anonymous (74722)

I have Excel 2002, so this may not be exactly right, but you can go to
the Tools menu and select Options.  Then select the Transition tab and
check Transition Formula Entry.

That did it for me.

---

Hi,
Don't put the dot (.) in.  XL will do that for you.  Just
put in minus, 130, then press the appropriate arrow key.
Or you can set the options to either go to down, right,
up, or left when hitting the enter key (Tools-Options-Edit-
check the Move Selection after Enter, then select the
direction)

HTH

0
mmzehr (177)

Cell formatting behaviour question
Hey guys, I have 2 related cases that I dont understand how to get Excel formatting to work: 1. If I imported or copied rows of data (numerical) from another file (Word or Access) into Excel, the data is presented as raw numbers in each cell. Now I apply a formatting (i.e. I want comma separation for thousands, etc.) and it will not show up. However, if i then double-click inside a cell (as if to edit the contents directly), then hit enter the formatting I want shows up... but only that cell. I have hundreds of rows and I really need to force excel to display the formatting i want immediately...

Hide multiple rows when particular cell is zero
Hi All, Can anyone tell me how I can hide multiple rows when a particular cell is zero? It has to go automaticly, so no buttons... When D37=0, hide rows 37-48 When D49=0, hide rows 49-58 When D59=0, hide rows 59-68 When D69=0, hide rows 69-78 When D79=0, hide rows 79-88 etcetera. How can help me with this macro?? Thanks in advanced. Best regards, BL Hi, What should happen if e.g. D38 = 0? Maybe this applied to the desired sheet: Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range) Dim a, rng As Range Set rng = Range("D37:D1000") For Each a In rng ...

How to enter output range for Descriptive statistice #2
Hi I'm trying to get Descriptive statistics summary, and couldn't enter output range. what is the formate? Hi, You just need to click on (or enter) the upper left cell where you want the data to appear, usually to the right of, or below, your data. Dave url:http://www.ureader.com/msg/10296114.aspx ...

Referencing only certain cells in a table
Hello, I posted this question earlier in the execl.worksheet.functions group, but did not get an answer. I apologize for the repost. I need some help referencing certain cells from one worksheet in another. Here is an example of what I am trying to accomplish: Worksheet 1: Item # Name Value 1 item1 100 2 item2 0 3 item3 0 4 item4 54 5 item5 0 6 item6 0 7 item7 70 I need to create a separate table in Worksheet2 that as only the NON ZERO values from the table above in Worksheet 1. S...

parsing and importing a text file with records through a VBA macro
Hi all, I'm really stuck in a problem in parsing and importing a text file into an Excel sheet with a VBA macro. I strongly need to do it by a VBA macro in order to postprocess the resulting data through Excel. I searched a lot into the network and I found something useful but I can't achieve the final solution actually. Can you help me please? Your help is really appreciated. My text file is containing several records formatted like this: REC1_FIELD1 REC1_FIELD2 REC1_FIELD3 REC1_FIELD4 REC1_FIELD5 REC1_FIELD6 REC2_FIELD1 REC2_FIELD2 REC2_FIELD3 REC2_FIELD4 R...

Calculations based on 4 possible text strings?
I have this formula that goes into E2 in the first line: =IF(C2<>"",IF(D2="PST+GST",SUMPRODUCT(C2*0.13),"")) which works if the text string PST+GST is found in D2. But I don't know how to branch out from there. There are 4 possible answers to go into D2 which will affect outcome of E2. They are, and I'll list them all including the PST+GST case above: if D2 = text string "PST+GST", E2 = SUMPRODUCT(C2*0.13) if D2 = text string "PST", E2 = SUMPRODUCT(C2*0.06) if D2 = text string "GST", E2 = SUMPRODUCT(C2*0.06) [c...

Why doesn't my original message text show in the reply message?
When I send out e-mails, sometimes the reply back to me does not include my original text. Why? I know they are just hitting the reply button because the Re line has "exactly" what I originally typed. This has happened on several occasions. There is an option in Outlook and Outlook Express to include the original message in a reply. If they have that option disabled, then when they reply to you, the original message will be removed from the email. In order to enable or disable this option in Outlook 2003 (I believe 2007 and Outlook Express are similar) please do...

adding number only if CDN is displayed in next cell
I have a list of sales for Canadian and US Customers. I marked in the column besides the sales amount if it is CDN or US. How can I add the CDN or the US Sales only. Thanks for your help. Use SUMIF() See HELP for details -- Kind regards, Niek Otten "ED" <ED@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7B61595A-17DD-4254-A46F-A8D26BF0D9AB@microsoft.com... >I have a list of sales for Canadian and US Customers. I marked in the >column > besides the sales amount if it is CDN or US. > > How can I add the CDN or the US Sales only. > > Thanks for y...

Text style reverts on save
I am using Publisher 2003 SP2. I have a document that has a few text styles I have defined. When I modify a style the document appearsw properly, but when I save the file, close Publisher, and re-open Publisher the changes are lost. If I delete the misbehaving style and re-create it all is well, except that the change to another style vanishes. help! ...

Color changing text for blue to red
I want to take a part of a form I am making and have the title line only go from blue on the left side to red on the right side. I tried word art but did not get the desired results. I want each letter to be a different soled color from the one beside it. If there is no automatic way of doing this then what is the easiest way of doing it manually I an using Pub XP on a W2K box. If it is in word art then I missed and would like to know for future reference. Highlight one letter at a time and change each one manually. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Brady" <sp...

How do I get text effects in excel like those available in word
In MS Word you can get text effects under "Format" "Font" I want to do the same in excel - any suggestions please? I would also like to conditionally format an excel formulae to give an "effect" if it did not meet a given criteria - Conditional formatting does not provided "Text Effects" Thanks It does. Condiitional formatting providet COLOR effects. Conditional Formatting > click Format Button > select Color for formatting. -- Manatee ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Manatee's Profile: http://www....

Quering and entering data through a form
Hello, I have 3 tables: PatientDetails, ReferralDetails and EnvelopeDetails PatientDetails and ReferralDetails are linked by ReferralCode. ReferralsDetails and EnvelopeDetails are linked by SentEnvelope field. I need a form that only shows those patients who do not have SentEnvelope against their ReferralCode (and hence PatientID). This I have managed to do by using a query and then the form wizard. However, what I need to do now is to be able to update everyones SentEnvelope field with relevant envelope id. Every patient that is referred will have a referral details in the ReferralDe...

Get text from anather application
want to get to copy or get the selected text from internet explorer i use this code to get the hWnd HWND FgHwnd=GetForegroundWindow(); DWORD lpdwProcessId; DWORD td=GetWindowThreadProcessId(FgHwnd,&lpdwProcessId); AttachThreadInput(td,GetCurrentThreadId(),TRUE); HWND awnd=GetFocus(); and then i use SendMessage to copy the text char buffer[256] = {0}; SendMessage(awnd, WM_COPY,255, (LPARAM)&buffer); its works fine if the application has a simple edit or rich edit box. but i when i want to get the text from internet explorer it doesnt work. Please help me natanr123@vfem...

checking input in a cell and return by copying info from a other c
What I want to do is the following. I have a worksheet in which I have created the following; Name-Column , select-Column. I now want to created a formula in a new sheet which check if the are "x" in the select column and copy the names of the name-columns to cells in that new sheet. (which is in the same workbook) is that possible? If so please let me know. Thanks in advance. To find a single "x" you would use VLOOKUP(). For all the "x"'s, see: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/HA012260381033.aspx -- Gary''s Student - gsnu20...

Averaging List with Blank Cells
Hi, Someone gave me this formula to average the most recent five items in a column of numbers: =AVERAGE(OFFSET(B2,COUNTA(A:A)-5,0,5,1)) It works great unless the list has blank cells. In that case it does not work. 1. 6 2. 3. 7 4. 9 5. 6. 2 7. 8. 1 9. 23 10 4 How can I make it work when the columns have some blank cells? Thanks, Frank Try =IF(count(A1:A10)=0,",Average(A1:A10)) >-----Original Message----- > >Hi, > >Someone gave me this formula to average the most recent five items in >a column of numbers: > >=AVERAGE(OFFSET(B2,COUNTA(A...

Pivot table overwrites neighbouring cells #2
Hello, I have multiple pivot tables on the same worksheet to allow for easy comparison of data. The source data is based on the week and expected to be refreshed daily. As the week progresses the size of the pivot tables will grow and overwrite data below it. I am looking for a workaround to this problem or if there is a way to set the pivot table to insert a new row below it if the size will increase and before data is updated. Thanks in advance, Anissa Hi, There is no feature of pivot tables to do what you wish. You pretty much have two options that I can think of: 1. Prepare e...

Splitting Text from single cell in column across multiple Columns
Text To column wont work because I have name and address info in a single cell in this format. Each cell has different data representing different addresses. Name St # St Name Phone Number City, State zip I want a formula or something to take first line and put in one column, the 2nd line in another column and the 3rd line spread across 3 columns. Although if you could just find a way to split each line into a column, that would work. Once again, Text to colun won't work, I have multiple cells with diffeent addresses, they are not all the same and there are no deli...

Duplicating text in Word 2007
Hi, I've got a template I previously did for Word 2003 where I basically had several {macrobutton nomacro Type something here} fields. Now, in Word 2007, I see I have the option to actually add a Text content control, which looks fantastic :) BUT, is there a way of making it so that if I type something in one content control, the same text value is automatically added into the second one as well? Or even a third? How can I do that? Found out that if I insert a comment field and copy that field, they both work as I want! Yay! But, the comment field I insert via the Insert...

Is there any way of calculating a running total within a single cell in a column
Can anyone help with this query? e.g. I want to work out how many people are working at any time in a 24 hour period. The number of people rostered on differs each day of the week. Monday Time No. rostered on 6.00 2 7.00 2 8.00 2 9.00 2 10.00 (and so on) Can I add additional staff number in my 'no. rostered on column' by just entering the number into the cell. Say, if there were an extra 2 staff starting their 8 hour shift at 9. am. is there a way of just typing in '2' into that cell and getting '4'? What I do at the moment ...

Comparing two columns of text data
I'm working with copies of someone else's SAP files. Machine operators enter "Notifications" into SAP, which schedulers turn into "Work Orders". After the job is complete, there is a row of data for each time anyone - operator, scheduler, mechanic, etc. - made a change to the record. Notifications have distinct numbers, as do work orders. So you may have: NOTIFICATION | WORK ORDER | ACTIVITY 0001 | 2985 | Notified pump out 0001 | 2985 | Scheduled work 0001 | 2985 | Calibrated pump 0001 | 2985 | Caliper post on first grid armature adjusted to thr...

Custum Cell Format
I have an array formula which automatically summarizes all available values of a certain column, in ascending order. The summary is fixed to a maximum of 8 cells and in many cases it uses less than the available 8 columns. Is it possible to format the cells by showing a 0 when the result/cell is empty In other cells in the sheet the cells show empty instead of a zero by using the custom format of 0;-0;"" Now I want an empty cell to show 0 Thanks, W -- willemeulen Blink1 *Willem van der Meulen* BSc Soil & Water Eng (Netherlands) ----------------------------------------...

Cannot insert pictures in Pubisher. Text also disappears!
I have worked for several hours on a newsletter, now everything changes. Photos overlay on print and print disappears. Read the third FAQ here http://ed.mvps.org/Static.aspx?=Publisher/FAQs -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/FX100649111033.aspx "Disgusted" <Disgusted@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:421A5715-4D0A-4EC9-8C94-941B4B9DBA9F@microsoft.com... >I have worked for several hours on a newsletter, now everything changes. > Photos over...

How do I draw a circle around a cell I want to highlight
How do I draw a circle around a cell I want to highlight - I want to see the text within the cell and colour the circle red. I tried inserting a circle from the 'drawing toolbar' but I couldn't see the text in the cell. i have seen Excel worksheets with this feature and would like to emulate it. Thanks, Janev See Tools/Formula checking/Display Formula checking Toolbar/Circle unvalid values Regards, Stefi „Janev” ezt írta: > How do I draw a circle around a cell I want to highlight - I want to > see the text within the cell and colour the circle red. I tried > ...

Dynamic cell references in cube functions
What is the syntax to make for instance the cubevalue function pick up parameter values from the spreadsheet so my report becomes dynamic? I have the following statement: =CUBEVALUE("datasource";"[Measures].[Volume]";"[Time].[YM].[YM].[2007].[200710]") I want to make a dynamic report so that the year [2007] and the month [200710] changes according to dates I put into the spreadsheet (for instance today()) so the report automatically updates the query to current time periode. Thanks in advance! I don't know cubevalue and it isn't in Excel help on ...

All cell contents within a range of cells turns white if Sheet1!A1 = 1
If the return of Sheet1!A1 = 1, I need all fill, font and line colors to turn white from A1:E10. If the value of Sheet1!A1 changes to 0, all colors must return to normal. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks for any suggestions. Michael If your range to format is on Sheet1............. Conditional Formatting Select A1:E10 Format>CF>Formula is: =$A$1=1 Format to suit If range to format is on a sheet other than Sheet1 Select Sheet1!A1 and give it a name..............insert>name>define On other sheet select range A1:E10 and Format>CF Form...