ENTER button

Isn't there a way to make it so that if you're entering data and tabbing over several columns as you go, that after you hit ENTER the box moves down one row and to the first column that you began entering data into

Thanks!
0
anonymous (74722)

Here is one I use that goes back to the original column and one row down. I
use the right arrow key.
right click sheet tab>view code>insert this>modify to suit.

Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Excel.Range)
If Target.Row > 5 And Target.Column = 8 Then ActiveCell.Offset(1, -6).Select
End Sub
--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software
"RAWLEY" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Isn't there a way to make it so that if you're entering data and tabbing
over several columns as you go, that after you hit ENTER the box moves down
one row and to the first column that you began entering data into?

> Thanks!

0
Don
6/7/2004 6:08:20 PM
You really *don't* have to make *anything*, because that's how it *is*!

Click in a cell and enter data, and then <Tab> to the next cell to enter
data.
Keep on entering and tabbing as necessary.
Then hit <Enter>, and the focus *automatically* moves to the next row,
directly under the cell where you started your first entry (wherever that
might have been).
--

HTH,

RD

"RAWLEY" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
Isn't there a way to make it so that if you're entering data and tabbing
over several columns as you go, that after you hit ENTER the box moves down
one row and to the first column that you began entering data into?

Thanks!

0
ragdyer1 (4060)
6/7/2004 10:59:35 PM
Hi Rawley,
You can use an Event  macro such as the following to make
things easier.

Option Explicit
   If Range("b2").Value <> "" Then Exit Sub       'escape clause
   If Target.Column < 6 Then Exit Sub        'okay until column F or later
   On Error Resume Next  'MUST reenable events...
   Application.EnableEvents = False
   ActiveCell.Offset(1, 2 - Target.Column).Select   'return to column B instead of A of next row
   Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub

More information on Event macros and for the above macro in
    Worksheet_SelectionChange (#ws_sc)
        Example: Worksheet_SelectionChange to prevent entry past a column
         http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/event.htm#ws_sc
be sure to read the top of the article as well.

To install this event macro,  right click on sheetname then view code, and
insert your code.      So if you have a lot of these to do you can actually
change your Enter key to go to the right instead of Down.   Easy enough
to change in your tools, options, Edit.     And this just reminded to
put mine back to "Down" since I was doing this yesterday.

RagDyer,   with default "Down"  the cursor normall goes straight
down after entry, not to first column of next row.
---
HTH,

"RagDyer" <ragdyer@cutoutmsn.com> wrote in message news:uXCepOOTEHA.240@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> You really *don't* have to make *anything*, because that's how it *is*!
>
> Click in a cell and enter data, and then <Tab> to the next cell to enter
> data.
> Keep on entering and tabbing as necessary.
> Then hit <Enter>, and the focus *automatically* moves to the next row,
> directly under the cell where you started your first entry (wherever that
> might have been).
>
> "RAWLEY" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote  ...
> Isn't there a way to make it so that if you're entering data and tabbing
> over several columns as you go, that after you hit ENTER the box moves down
> one row and to the first column that you began entering data into?
>
> Thanks!

0
dmcritchie (2586)
6/8/2004 12:16:56 AM
<<"RagDyer,   with default "Down"  the cursor normall goes straight
down after entry, not to first column of next row.">>

If you'll re-read my post David, you'll see that I stated, just as the OP
described his use of <Tab>, when you tab after data entry, for however many
entries, and *then* you hit <Enter>, the cursor *will* automatically go to
the *following* row, right *under* where you *started* with your first
<Tab>!

In fact, for this to occur, the default cursor movement *must* be set to
down.

If it's set to default "Up", then the focus will automatically shift to the
starting column, one row above the original first data entry cell.
--

Regards,

RD

"David McRitchie" <dmcritchie@msn.com> wrote in message
Hi Rawley,
You can use an Event  macro such as the following to make
things easier.

Option Explicit
   If Range("b2").Value <> "" Then Exit Sub       'escape clause
   If Target.Column < 6 Then Exit Sub        'okay until column F or later
   On Error Resume Next  'MUST reenable events...
   Application.EnableEvents = False
   ActiveCell.Offset(1, 2 - Target.Column).Select   'return to column B
instead of A of next row
   Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub

More information on Event macros and for the above macro in
    Worksheet_SelectionChange (#ws_sc)
        Example: Worksheet_SelectionChange to prevent entry past a column
         http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/event.htm#ws_sc
be sure to read the top of the article as well.

To install this event macro,  right click on sheetname then view code, and
insert your code.      So if you have a lot of these to do you can actually
change your Enter key to go to the right instead of Down.   Easy enough
to change in your tools, options, Edit.     And this just reminded to
put mine back to "Down" since I was doing this yesterday.

RagDyer,   with default "Down"  the cursor normall goes straight
down after entry, not to first column of next row.
---
HTH,

"RagDyer" <ragdyer@cutoutmsn.com> wrote in message
> You really *don't* have to make *anything*, because that's how it *is*!
>
> Click in a cell and enter data, and then <Tab> to the next cell to enter
> data.
> Keep on entering and tabbing as necessary.
> Then hit <Enter>, and the focus *automatically* moves to the next row,
> directly under the cell where you started your first entry (wherever that
> might have been).
>
> "RAWLEY" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote  ...
> Isn't there a way to make it so that if you're entering data and tabbing
> over several columns as you go, that after you hit ENTER the box moves
down
> one row and to the first column that you began entering data into?
>
> Thanks!

0
ragdyer1 (4060)
6/8/2004 12:41:43 AM
So that's how that works.   I always wondered how it knew to
return to column B instead of column A.   Thanks for not making
me reread -- I'd probably have skipped right over that distinction
again.

"RagDyer" <ragdyer@cutoutmsn.com> wrote in message news:%23L%
> [...]
> HTH,
> David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel    [site changed  Nov. 2001]
>
> "RagDyer" <ragdyer@cutoutmsn.com> wrote in message
> > You really *don't* have to make *anything*, because that's how it *is*!
> >
> > Click in a cell and enter data, and then <Tab> to the next cell to enter
> > data.
> > Keep on entering and tabbing as necessary.
> > Then hit <Enter>, and the focus *automatically* moves to the next row,
> > directly under the cell where you started your first entry (wherever that
> > might have been).
> >
> > "RAWLEY" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote  ...
> > Isn't there a way to make it so that if you're entering data and tabbing
> > over several columns as you go, that after you hit ENTER the box moves
> down
> > one row and to the first column that you began entering data into?

0
dmcritchie (2586)
6/8/2004 12:59:09 AM
Do I understand you to say that when you hit your <Tab> key, the selection
(focus) moves *DOWN*?

So there is no distinction between the <Enter> key and the <Tab> key?
--

Regards,

RD

"Daen" <Daen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
  Greets, RagDyer... do you happen to know why a worksheet would STOP
behaving this way? My sheet used to do as you describe below but now it is
only going to the cell below no matter how I have the "Move selection after
Enter" (which is set to down now).

   It is really slowing things down for me now. Any help is greatly
appreciated!

   Cheers,
   Daen

"RagDyer" wrote:

> You really *don't* have to make *anything*, because that's how it *is*!
>
> Click in a cell and enter data, and then <Tab> to the next cell to enter
> data.
> Keep on entering and tabbing as necessary.
> Then hit <Enter>, and the focus *automatically* moves to the next row,
> directly under the cell where you started your first entry (wherever that
> might have been).
> --
>
> HTH,
>
> RD
>
> "RAWLEY" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Isn't there a way to make it so that if you're entering data and tabbing
> over several columns as you go, that after you hit ENTER the box moves
down
> one row and to the first column that you began entering data into?
>
> Thanks!

0
ragdyer1 (4060)
8/27/2004 1:22:44 AM
I'm afraid I can't duplicate this, so I can't offer a suggestion.

However>>What exactly do you mean by this?>>

<<"but somehow I've done something in my updating that has killed this nice
feature.">>

What updating ???
--

Regards,

RD

"Daen" <Daen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
     Not quite. The problem lies in that though I can tab through the fields
as normal (to the right when tab is hit), when Enter is pressed the focus
goes to the cell below rather than the first cell of the next row in the
first column. I did start data entry with that column to be sure and it
still
went to the cell below.

 It used to work as a carriage return (or at least would jump to the next
row on Enter), but somehow I've done something in my updating that has
killed
this nice feature.

    Thank you for the quick reply, I hope that was a bit clearer. I'm sorry
I didn't explain better the first time.

     Cheers!
"RagDyer" wrote:

> Do I understand you to say that when you hit your <Tab> key, the selection
> (focus) moves *DOWN*?
>
> So there is no distinction between the <Enter> key and the <Tab> key?
> --
>

> Regards,
>
> RD
>
> "Daen" <Daen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>   Greets, RagDyer... do you happen to know why a worksheet would STOP
> behaving this way? My sheet used to do as you describe below but now it is
> only going to the cell below no matter how I have the "Move selection
after
> Enter" (which is set to down now).
>
>    It is really slowing things down for me now. Any help is greatly
> appreciated!
>
>    Cheers,
>    Daen
>
> "RagDyer" wrote:
>
> > You really *don't* have to make *anything*, because that's how it *is*!
> >
> > Click in a cell and enter data, and then <Tab> to the next cell to enter
> > data.
> > Keep on entering and tabbing as necessary.
> > Then hit <Enter>, and the focus *automatically* moves to the next row,
> > directly under the cell where you started your first entry (wherever
that
> > might have been).
> > --
> >
> > HTH,
> >
> > RD
> > Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit!
> >
> > "RAWLEY" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Isn't there a way to make it so that if you're entering data and tabbing
> > over several columns as you go, that after you hit ENTER the box moves
> down
> > one row and to the first column that you began entering data into?
> >
> > Thanks!

0
ragdyer1 (4060)
8/27/2004 8:38:03 PM
You never mentioned "protection" before ... did you?

"Tab" doesn't work on a protected sheet!

That is, unless you *unlock* the range of cells that you wish to be able to
accept data input.

--

HTH,

RD

"Daen" <Daen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
  Just stating that it used to work and even though all I have done is
"protect" the sheet it no longer does this for my users. What if you turn
the
"Move Selection after Enter" off?

"RagDyer" wrote:

> [...]
> > > Keep on entering and tabbing as necessary.
> > > Then hit <Enter>, and the focus *automatically* moves to the next row,
> > > directly under the cell where you started your first entry (wherever
> that
> > > might have been).
> > > --
> > >
> > > HTH,
> > >
> > > RD
> > > ==============================================
> > > Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit!
> > > ==============================================
> > >
> > > "RAWLEY" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Isn't there a way to make it so that if you're entering data and
tabbing
> > > over several columns as you go, that after you hit ENTER the box moves
> > down
> > > one row and to the first column that you began entering data into?

0
ragdyer1 (4060)

Regarding button on CRM e-mail form
I ha ve a fresh installation of microsoft CRM 1.2 on two separate servers: web and database. Everything went fine and I can browse the web application just fine. Then I installed the Microsoft CRM Sales for Outlook on two client computers running Office 2003. The crm functionality works fine from one of the computers, but on the other one, when I click on the regarding button from the CRM e-mail form, the window to select the contact/opportunity/... does not appear. I have tried re-installing but no luck :-( Any ideas? ...

Excel closing down when I attempt to enter = in one file and then
I have two files and when entering = in a cell in one file and then I attempt to access another excel file to select a cell to complete the = calc, excel closes down with standard error message. Have recently converted to SP3. Can anyone help ? hi what is the "standard" error message? regards FSt1 "GrahamH" wrote: > I have two files and when entering = in a cell in one file and then I attempt > to access another excel file to select a cell to complete the = calc, excel > closes down with standard error message. Have recently converted to SP3....

Money 2004
In the past, I've been all for Autobudget, but for some reason it's totally screwing me up now. I've just set up a new budget (finally getting organized), and autobudget did it's thing and pre-populated most categories. I made changes where necessary, and when finished it took me to the "Review your current budget status" screen. I was very surprised to be over budget in almost EVERY category that Autobudget touched. It seems that every single item that was pulled from the Bills/Deposits screen with a red icon (i'm guessing these are withdrawals...that's what ...

Cancel Button on Category Maintenance Dialog Box
No Name Dialog Box: Text: Do you want to save changes to this record? Options: Save Delete Cancel You’re in a Cost Category making changes. Something happens and you don’t want to save them. If you click the ‘Cancel’ option on the dialog window you return to the changed status of the cost category. If you don’t want to Save and you click Delete (thinking the window will Delete the changes) one of two things happens: A) If there are no posted costs the Cost Category itself will be Deleted from the Project, or B) If there are posted costs you get a 'Cannot Delete due to poste...

Printing button in excel 2003
Hi all, is it possible to create a button to print to a certain printer? Please bear in mind this is not my default printer? Help would be much appreciated. 'Why not leave this with user to select Application.Dialogs(xldialogprint).show OR ActiveWindow.SelectedSheets.PrintOut Copies:=1, ActivePrinter:= _ "\\server\prntername:", Collate:=True -- Jacob "Neil Holden" wrote: > Hi all, is it possible to create a button to print to a certain printer? > Please bear in mind this is not my default printer? > > Help would be...

selecting more than one option button
I have set up a worksheet in Excel with numerous option buttons. My problem is now it will only let me select 1 option button. How can I select multiple option buttons? Thanks, Katie You may not want option buttons. You can only have one option button in any given grouping selected. You might want to use Check boxes instead. "Katie-Baughman" wrote: > I have set up a worksheet in Excel with numerous option buttons. My problem > is now it will only let me select 1 option button. How can I select multiple > option buttons? > > Thanks, > Katie If you ha...

One Command button for different reports
How do I call up a specific report based on 2 fields on a form with a command button. To explain myself. I already have the form made, and on the form are the fields ContactID and ContractType. I would like the create a command button on this form and when clicked it would open the report based on the ContactID and Contracttype (on the report will be the contacts mailing info, and the correct contract will be chosen because of the Contracttype) there are 5 report possibilities. The ContactID and Contracttype are fields on two different tables. I have 5 reports, each design is diffe...

Macro button in View tab?
I am wondering why MS put the Macros button on the View tab in Word and Excel 2007. I don't think of viewing when I want to create or edit a macro. If anything, I think Macros should be on the Insert tab. Whatever Microsoft's thinking on this; I have simply put the macro button on my Quick Access Toolbar. Maybe that was the intention all along. I'm only guessing... but, for users who work with macros a lot, we enable the Developer tab, and that's where we go to access macros. For other users, someone at Msft must have thought "Oh... users will want to see/v...

Customize Outlook today button does nto work
Our company uses Outlook 2000. In the Outlook Today area, when a user clicks the Customize Outlook today, nothing happens. I have no idea what to do to resolve this. Ay help would be appreciated. Thanks. Robert wrote: > Our company uses Outlook 2000. In the Outlook Today area, > when a user clicks the Customize Outlook today, nothing > happens. I have no idea what to do to resolve this. Ay > help would be appreciated. Thanks. http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=820575 A tip- PLEASE do a google search before posting - this has been asked and replied to at LEAST *7,200*...

removing tooltip from maximize button
I'd like to remove the tooltip label "Restore down" from the Maximize button in my MainFrame. I tried and failed with: void CMainFrame::OnNcMouseMove(UINT nFlags, CPoint point) { if(nFlags != HTZOOM) CWnd::OnNcMouseMove(nFlags, point); } Do I have to use a WM_MOUSEHOVER message, perhaps in combination with the above? Thank you. "Steve Russell" <srussell@innernet.net> wrote in message news:eFupmc91DHA.2060@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > I'd like to remove the tooltip label "Restore down" from the Maximize button > in my MainFrame. > >...

Formatting buttons & drawing shapes.
Morning! I wonder if someone could please help me with what I guess is a formatting problem. I want to run a macro from a 'forms' button, but I can't format the button to any other colour than grey, although the font can of course be changed to any colour. However changing the font colour doesn't give me enough contrast for certain colours of font against the grey background. An aternative method is to apply a macro to a drawing shape, which would allow me to use any colour of background and any colour of font. Excellent, except that it doesn't have the benefit of the 3...

Send/Receive Progress Button
In order to receive mail I have to click the Send/Receive Progress button. I want to know how I can just have messages pop into my inbox without having to press that button everytime. I will forget to do it and this can end up becoming a huge problem when waiting for an important email? Thanks. Just configure an automatic Send/Receive interval You'll need to figure out on your own how to do that since you failed to post your Outlook version. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "HELP" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:209af01c4596b$b04ff7a0$a10...

Outlook 2003

Code help needed for Option Buttons to control Subs
I have a User form with (20) option buttons on it. It does what I want by only being able to check 1 option button. Option Button Names: OB_601 OB_602 - OB_619 OB_620 What I need help with is when user checks the correct option button, that button exicutes code located in a module. Code in Module: There are (20) Subs named like below Sub String_01() Sub String_02() - Sub String_19() Sub String_20() I think the code for each Option button is something like this, because there default position is False and they only show true when selected. If OB_601 = True the...

Record Selectors & Navigation Buttons: Set BackColor?
Anybody know how to coerce the colors of a form's RecordSelectors section and NavigationButtons? I'm guessing there's an API call somewhere, but don't have a clue beyond that. -- PeteCresswell "(PeteCresswell)" <x@y.Invalid> wrote in message news:mlqgr318v13atugcricjmnhbd7fhq4i1qa@4ax.com... > Anybody know how to coerce the colors of a form's RecordSelectors > section and NavigationButtons? > > I'm guessing there's an API call somewhere, but don't have a clue > beyond that. You can replace the standard navigation buttons with...

Adding "button" to click to sort updated data?
I'm using Excel 2003 and need to add a button that users can click to sort new data. Once a row has been updated with new data, I want the users to simply be able to click this "button" in order to sort the new data in descending order. I have several different sets of data that I want to add these "buttons" to. One for example is found between rows R5-R16. I have results from each row's data in column R. I then users to be able to simply click this new "button" to sort those results. How can I do this? Thanks in advance for any help !!! Turn...

Can't use the Send/Receive Button in Outlook 2002
The button used to work fine! I then imported my .pst file from outlook 2000. The import went on fine. The problem seem to have started when I imported my rules and now, each time a click on the Send/Receive Button, I get the message "Operation failed" and no other clue as to what may be wrong. Any ideas! I have tried doing away with the rules but with no joy and I am not suspecting them anyway. It was just because of the coincidence. My email comes at the set interval when outlook automatically checks the server. I am on a LAN and running Windows XP on a Compaq Evo (228...

enter network password? why?
I recently tried to enter a new email address for my POP Mail server settings. Now, I try to send/receive messages and a box pops up to enter my network password. I have never set up this password and just want it to go away...I can't send or receive messages til I do. (Using Outlook 2003) "=?Utf-8?B?QmVybiBUWA==?=" <Bern TX@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:790E61F0-0F00-4B13-A874-DB29BCE49018@microsoft.com: > I recently tried to enter a new email address for my POP Mail server > settings. Now, I try to send/receive messages and a box pops up to >...

How do I add a macro to a menu button?
using windows XP professional and excel 200 -- mhilli ----------------------------------------------------------------------- mhillis's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=464 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26205 Place the button on your sheet. Right Click on the button and select "View Code". This opens the VB editor to the module for the button. Enter your macro here. If you have recorded a macro elsewhere, cut and paste works well, too. "mhillis" wrote: > > using windows XP p...

About wrapping style, inlineshapes,shapes, and command buttons
Hi, I have 2 commandbutton controls ,one with an inLineWithText wrapping style , the other with a different wrapping style, say behind text.Why is one missing the top and left properties?..i know wrapping style has something to do with the inlineshape and shape control but in object browser both commandbutton-s show up as being of commandbutton type thus belonging to commandbutton class; how come they have different properties since they are objects of the same class? what am i missing here? Because one is an Shape, and the other is a InlineShape. The one with BehindText is a Sha...

error entering numbers
Entering numbers in Excel 2000, they are all 100 times too small. For example 1 displays as 0.01, 2 as 0.02 etc. I have been using the software for about two years without a problem. I have reinstalled the software, I have clicked detect and repair in Help. All with no effect. Hi Peter! Use: Tools > Options > Edit Uncheck "Fixed decimal places" -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au "Peter P" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:f86b01c43e3d$d74fe0c0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > Entering nu...

Ability to enter a invoice due date.
Why doesn't Great Pains allow for the entery of a due date for invoices? Currently you have to trick GP with an invoice date in the future. Also, why doesn't Great Pains have an Invoice Date field that isn't used to drive the posting period. The date keyed should drive the period that an invoice is posted too, while the invoice date should drive when the invoice is paid. Great Plains is the worst accounting system that I have ever seen. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for...

Be able to enter UPC Codes on the inventory card
-- HK ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=fea181b3-023c-48d0-aa8a-ac0926980706&dg=microsoft.public.greatplains I asked for this in an earlier post. The s...