enter # 12.00 for examples and excel use 12.00000028434000

This happens (frustratingly - because I cannot proof footing and crossfooting.  It seems that Excel just adds in the extra #'3 after the .00.  I will delete the number and rekey it and the extra decimals come again (albeit different #'s).  I will delete the row and rekey the 12.00 again and yet I get something like 12.00000658745000 (different decimal number but same problem).
0
anonymous (74722)

Hi Bill
Looks like you've taken the wrong option in format cells. Select all ( Ctrl - A ) if you wish to keep the same for the whole document or select those particular cells only, right click, format cells, number category, Set the Decimal places to 2
Hope that solves your problem
Regards
Pinky Variava
0
pinkamol (2)
4/14/2004 12:16:06 PM
I have decimal places set to two.  However, Excel still stores 16 places after the decimal.  My problem is that for example I enter 12.42 (with decimal places set to two) and excel stores (for example) 12.42000574654000

Sometimes in adding columns with 2 decimals for example 12.00 and 11.50 excel will store 23.500000549329000

This happens very randomly.
0
anonymous (74722)
4/14/2004 10:56:09 PM
I've never seen excel be off by this much.  And I couldn't duplicate when I
typed in 12.42000000000 or 11.5000000.

Does this happen in all your workbooks?

Does it happen if you start excel in safe mode:

Close excel
windows start button|Run
excel /safe

File|Open your workbook and see what happens.

(I used xl2002 for my testing.  What version are you using?  Maybe someone with
that version can chime in.)

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

xl2002 worked ok for me when I typed in 12.0000000 and 11.50000000

Does it happen on all your workbooks--even a worksheet in a new workbook?

Maybe trying it with excel in safe mode would shed some light:

Close excel
windows start button|Run
excel /safe

File|Open your workbook and see what happens.

What version of excel are you running?  Maybe someone can chime in.

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

You can't duplicate because this happens so randomly - This has been happening to me for several years on different versions of excel, different networks and different CPU's.  It is very confusing and frustrating.  A few years back I called MS Excel and they said to delete the cell and reenter.  This solution has never worked.  I asked several other people about this and they never saw it happen.

If would not know except I am a CPA and work with spreadsheets where I foot and crossfoot the columns e.

Columns A - E and rows 1 thru 80 with various numbers in eac
Column F is the cross foot (Sum(a:e) total
Row 81 is the downfoot totals (sum(1:80

I then proof the final totals down and accross in Column F row 81 as follows

if(sum(a81:e81)=sum(f1:f80),sum(f1:f80),"error") - The result is normally okay - However occasionally is get the result of "error" which means the sum down does not equal the sum accross.  I manually proof the down and accross and they are okay.  I then expand the 2 decimal point format of the cells to 16 decimal points and low and behold I find a number something like 93.000002346323000 in one of the cells

Amazing...
0
anonymous (74722)
4/15/2004 10:31:03 PM
And these cells are not the results of calculations?  Or even dragging down a
column?

Excel can do strange things with data entry, but I've never seen it do anything
with something simple like 93.

Numbers Ending in .848 Appear Incorrectly
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q161234

I didn't see your version of excel.  If you post it, maybe someone can offer a
better suggestion.

And starting in Safe mode didn't help??

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

Excel if statement help
I have a valid, working excel formula that states: =IF(BL17>=1,1,0) However, I need it to say If bl17 (or bl19) are greater or equal to 1, than 1, else 0 The or bl19 is really the only new part. How can I add that in with correct syntax ? Just look in the help index for OR -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com <cegarbage@gmail.com> wrote in message news:df47d203-0fc7-4b73-ae96-662b900f835b@x41g2000hsb.googlegroups.com... >I have a valid, working excel formula that states: > > =IF(BL17>=1,1,0) > > However, I need it to ...

CEP chart in excel.
Hi. I 'd like to know how to set a CEP chart with excel; in specific, how to set a line as objective,as well as upper limit and lower limit, using date data as x axis and {} . I don´t want to use a columns data to set objective ans limit. Can you help me? x axis a4:a40 y axis { } ????? how Maybe some words are wrong. I should said Target instead of objective. "Logan" wrote: > Hi. I 'd like to know how to set a CEP chart with excel; in specific, how > to set a line as objective,as well as upper limit and lower limit, using > d...

VB Toolbar in Excel 2007
Hi, I'm new to excel 2007, i have created a vb command button on excel sheet but that button is by default in design mode (if i click on button it takes me to code). I want the button in run mode, normally in excel 2003 there is vb tool bar and from there we can change the status of any vb control. appreciate your response. Thanx. Click the Office Button (the round one in the upper left corner, click the Excel Options button at the bottom of the dialog box that appears and, in the Popular option, put a check mark in the item labeled "Show Developer tab in the Ribbon" locat...

Excel Timesheet
Hi all Im trying to set up a new timesheet for use at work but dont know much about formulas etc, i need to put a start and finish time e.g. start 8.30, finish 12.30, then i need to calculate in a column at the end telling me how many hours ive worked between 8.30 and 12.30 then the same for the afternoon from 1.30 until 5pm with another column at the ending adding the hours worked in the morning to the hours worked in the afternoon giving me total hours worked that day and the same everyday for the week with a box at the bottom giving me total hours worked for the week, please help. T...

Scanning into Excel #2
Recently, my hard drive died and I lost a lot of files. Is it possible to scan a printed Excel file into Excel? (I know...I should have backed it up!) thanks in advance john g You will need some OCR software (which is often supplied with scanners) to convert the graphical image to editable text. Many OCR packages have the ability to recognise columns and produce a file in Excel format, but you might still have to do some manual changes depending on how good your printout is. The process can only convert what is on paper, so you will have to re-instate any formulae yourself. Hope thi...

Slow Opening Excel Files
I have a computer that is very slow when viewing files to open from excel(and word for that matter). The files can be accessed very quickly from My Computer or explorer but when doing an open in Excel the list takes forever to generate what files are in the network shares. This does not happen when logged in as administrator, only as a standard user. Any idea's on how to fix it? Its a optiplex 280 with 512 memory so its plenty fast enough Jerod ...

CRM 3.0 export to EXCEL error
Hi, On the clients with Vista and office 2007, when we tried to export to EXCEl, got the following error: Connect failed: SQLState 2800 SQL Server error 18452 Login failed for user null. Reason: Not associated with a trusted SQl server connection. With this user, it works well under Xp and office 2003. Any suggestions? Thank you very much! Cindy, Have you installed latest updates for CRM 3.0? If not pls. Here is the latest. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=D5B1FBBE-DFC2-4A33-B5FD-CAE99E8E9DAB&displaylang=en Venkat. http://venkatbendalam.blogspot.com/ "Ci...

want to link specific records in access to cells in excel
I have a database of client information that I would like to export into excel spreadsheets for different purposes, ie; I need to track utilization of service, create transportation schedules, and track service plan dates in seperate workbooks. So, what I am hoping I could do is link a group of records (LName, FName, ID and Available Hours) to a section of the predesigned worksheet limited by the entry in another record related to the entry (Service Type). Basically running an if/then fuction based on information from the access records (if record "x" equals "PRG&q...

want euro currency choice when formatting cells in excel 97
when formatting cells in excel 97 you have choices of most currencies but not euro. How do you get ? added to this list? "carl" <av@arbetetsvanner.com> wrote in message news:24dc01c37928$a61b8520$a601280a@phx.gbl... > when formatting cells in excel 97 you have choices of most > currencies but not euro. > How do you get ? added to this list? > You can set up a custom format with any currency symbol. To get the Euro symbol, assuming you have a Euro-enabled Arial font installed, hold down ALT whilst typing 0128 on the keypad at the right of the keyboard (not the n...

Can I open an OpenOffice .sxc file with excel?
Someone sent me a spreadsheet created in OpenOffice with the .sxc file extension. How can I open the file in Excel 2003. It does not recognize the file. Ask them to resave it as .xls or get your own copy of OpenOffice: http://www.openoffice.org, a 60-65 meg download or a CD target 107 wrote: > > Someone sent me a spreadsheet created in OpenOffice with the .sxc file > extension. How can I open the file in Excel 2003. It does not recognize the > file. -- Dave Peterson Microsoft Excel does not and probably never will open (or save in) OpenOffice.org (.sxc and .stc), OpenD...

use of "from" field
I just noticed that the new message form in Outlook allows you to specify what address the message is coming from -- and when you press the button marked "from..." it opens up the address book, allowing you to pick any address in your address book. My possibly dumb question is, what is the purpose of this feature? I can't imagine that it would fool an internet listserv into allowing me to post on a list to which I am not subscribed. I suppose if I am using somebody else's computer, I might want to send a message this way so that, for example, people wouldn't think they ...

question about using the offset function
Is there a way to use the offset function (or another function) as a way to supply an expanding range to other functions like 'average'? For my purposes, there may be multiple series of numbers within say a column, with each 'series' (i.e. set of contiguous rows) separated by a few blank cells. The objective of the function would be to supply a limited set of numbers (which can expand) to the function whose result is the main interest. For example, within column D, I might have rows 5-10 representing adult male fish weights, rows 15-20 representing adult female fish weights ...

Excel charts copied to powerpoint
I have a chart in excel that we copy and paste as an enhanced metafile into powerpoint. There are multiple data series in the chart. One data point within one of the data series it does not show up once copied into powerpoint. This has never happened to me before and this process has been used for about a year now. Any suggestions or help is appreciated!! Thanks!!! Meg Partridge, Sounds like it is truncating it for you. Did you try and resize the area of insertion (make bigger) to capture all data series? Dennis "Meg Partridge" wrote: > I have a chart in excel that...

Excel help on line ~ A general muse.
Just a general query on help, We are dipping our toe into Excel after outgrowing MSWorks with regards to bulk querying, we are involved in the thoroughbred industry and hence deal with records around 65,000- 100,000 We can scrabble around by ourselves, and get by no doubt, but if we need a spreadsheet refining process, is it within accepted practice of this NG, to be able to email a SS to obliging parties for assistance and improvement? I should imagine our requests to be bordering on the "easy" to those with reasonable experience. Of course we would be willing to pay, but recompen...

preventing Excel from changing number formats
When displaying charts, I make a point to select the particular display format (dates as MM/DD/YYYY, numbers with comma separators, etc.). However when I copy the charts from one spreadsheet to another, or send the charts via email, the formats sometimes change back to the way it was represented originally (dates as numbers, no comma separator, etc.) What's weird is that this doesn't happen consistently (only some charts get affect). Is there any way to prevent this, reverting of formats, from happening? It's becoming really annoying. Thanks for your help. ...

excel sheet all caps and needs to be only the first letter caps..
I have an excel shhet that is all caps and I would like to change only the first letter to caps without retyping the whole sheet...is this possible? There is no built in way to do this. You can use the following macro to do this. Sub AAA() Dim Rng As Range For Each Rng In ActiveSheet.UsedRange.SpecialCells( _ xlCellTypeConstants, xlTextValues) Rng.Value = UCase(Left(Rng.Text, 1)) & Mid(Rng.Text, 2) Next Rng End Sub -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "kroberts" <kroberts@discussions.microsoft...

Non Excel Postings
Will the people who post non excel information as below, refraining fro doing so, start your own forum somewhere if you want to save the world. Thanks Thie -- Thie ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Thiem's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2747 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=49342 Please don't add to the level of noise in these groups! These ngs (if read via msnews or MS web portals) are remarkably free of spam and off-topic material due to MS's filters. Occasio...

Column width and pasting sections in excel? Formatting questions
I am trying to make a spreadsheet in which I need to have varied column widths in different sections, one under another. (they don't need to relate directly, and no major equations going on) for example: xxxxxxxxx|xxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxx|xxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxx|xxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxx|xxxxx|xxxxxx xxxxxxx|xxxxx|xxxxxx How do I go about splitting the sheet or whatever I need to do so I can manipulate columns differently based on the row I'm in? Thanks! Rich Column widths apply to the whole column. You may be able to use merged cells to give the appearance that you want, but I try to stay...

Excel 2000 HTML/XML format Question
Hi everyone, I have a question about the HTML/XML format of Excel 2000 when you sav a workbook as a web page. I have a requirement where I generate the HTML/XML structur programatically and save it in seperate files (one .htm file for eac worksheet). Everything works fine. However, I was trying to cra everything in one single file and experimenting with various options. For example, I have the following xml structure that creates the tw sheets. Code ------------------- <xml> <x:ExcelWorkbook> <x:ExcelWorksheets> <x:ExcelWorksheet> <x:Name>Sheet1&...

Making report in WORD file by using information from Excel
I have got a huge database of around 100 countries in an excel file. I created a Pivot table to get the related data pertaining to a particular country. Now, need to prepare each country's report in WORD file separately (100 WORD files) wherein text contents, format, layout of the WORD report for all the countries remains the same however the data presented in tabular form in the required section need to be extracted from the Excel. I am sick of doing copy/paste so many times from Excel to word. Is there any solution to automate the process? Also, is there any Add ins...

Excel 2000: Can I display more than one curve in a single chart
Hi All, Can I display more than one curve (i.e., more than a single set of data points) in a single chart? I am using Excel 2000. tia Avraham Makeler. Sure. Select more than 2 columns when you create the chart. Alternately select the chart and follow the prompts at Chart|Add Data Jerry Avraham Makeler wrote: > Hi All, > > Can I display more than one curve (i.e., more than a single set of data > points) in a single chart? > > I am using Excel 2000. > > tia > > Avraham Makeler. ...

Help requested for an Excel Toolbar command
I am seeking help in creating a custom command for a MS Excel XP toolbar. In MS Word XP, I added a “Next Window” button to my standard toolbar, by going to the Tools menu, selecting Customize, Commands, Window & Help & then dragging the “Next Window” command to my toolbar. I open several documents, then simply click on “Next Window” to go to the next open document (sort of like scrolling between documents). I want this same "feature" in Excel, but when I get to the Window & Help section, there is no “Next Window” command to chose. I have tried a macro, but can’t g...

cant use word as email editor
I have Office XP Small Business edition installed on my computer... Since a few weeks I cant use Word not anymore as email editor. I used it before and it worked out good... I guess when I tried to customize my templates I messed it up... I am getting now the message Word is either busy or cannot be found How can I restore Outlook and or Word to use it again? I did already de- and re-install Office complete... and use the repair option... it all doesnt help... I posted a message 2 Days ago but it didnt got shown up ...

suggest excel template to calculate monthly attandence and paymen
suggest excel template to calculate monthly attandence and paymen ...

using LDIFDE to export/import proxyaddresses
Hello, Here is my question. We are installing a software that might affect users' proxyaddresses. To be on the safe side, I did an ldifde export of all the users' proxyaddresses so we can import them if needed. The problem we are having is that eventhough when using logparser to modify a csv and convert it to an ldf file to format the file, we run into the issue that proxyadddreses is a multivalued attribute. Does anyone have a way to do this. Are you trying to add proxyAddresses, or simply export them? -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Exchange www.zenprise.com NEW blog location: www.e...