End Cells - File Size

I am trying to reduce the file size of a file I am
creating.  It is currently at 3.6MB, with about 10
worksheets.

I posted earlier and someone recommended hitting Ctrl-End
on my sheets to see where it was that Excel thought the
end of the data was.  I did this with a few of the
workbooks and the end appears to be out in the middle of
nowhere.  They then recommended that I delete all the
columns and rows past my actual data and then save the
file.

I tried this but when I hit Ctrl-End on those sheets it
still takes me way past my data ranges.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Jeff
0
anonymous (74722)

Don't use the delete key, do exactly as follows

Select the first row below your data that is empty ( click the row header)
then press ctrl + shift + down arrow then do edit>delete, then save the
workbook, select the first column to the right
that is empty, do ctrl +  shift + right arrow, do edit>delete. Save the
workbook (on some earlier excel version I believe you had to close and
restart excel as well.

--

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"J Donahue" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am trying to reduce the file size of a file I am
> creating.  It is currently at 3.6MB, with about 10
> worksheets.
>
> I posted earlier and someone recommended hitting Ctrl-End
> on my sheets to see where it was that Excel thought the
> end of the data was.  I did this with a few of the
> workbooks and the end appears to be out in the middle of
> nowhere.  They then recommended that I delete all the
> columns and rows past my actual data and then save the
> file.
>
> I tried this but when I hit Ctrl-End on those sheets it
> still takes me way past my data ranges.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Jeff

0
terre08 (1112)
1/9/2004 3:28:23 PM
Dear J Donahue,

You may find your answer here :

http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlfaqApp.html#Unused

There is a deleteUnused( ) macro in this page that worth trying, but make
sure the file is not shared.
Run the macro and do a save, you should see wonder. I have successfully
trimdown one of my share file which grew to 16MB in size down to 4MB....

HTH

"J Donahue" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am trying to reduce the file size of a file I am
> creating.  It is currently at 3.6MB, with about 10
> worksheets.
>
> I posted earlier and someone recommended hitting Ctrl-End
> on my sheets to see where it was that Excel thought the
> end of the data was.  I did this with a few of the
> workbooks and the end appears to be out in the middle of
> nowhere.  They then recommended that I delete all the
> columns and rows past my actual data and then save the
> file.
>
> I tried this but when I hit Ctrl-End on those sheets it
> still takes me way past my data ranges.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Jeff

0
thuat (7)
1/9/2004 3:32:56 PM
Dear HJH,

specified goes through each worksheet in the workbook and
deletes unused rows. I only want to use this macro on one
specific sheet so do you know how the macro has to be
changed to run on only one sheet rather than the whole
workbook?

You help is greatly appreciated.

Robert

0
anonymous (74722)
1/12/2004 8:02:46 PM
You could replace

[For Each wks In ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets
  With wks]

with

[With Worksheets("name of sheet")]

and delete

[Next wks]

--

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"Robert" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Dear HJH,

> specified goes through each worksheet in the workbook and
> deletes unused rows. I only want to use this macro on one
> specific sheet so do you know how the macro has to be
> changed to run on only one sheet rather than the whole
> workbook?
>

> You help is greatly appreciated.
>
> Robert

0
terre08 (1112)
1/12/2004 8:38:11 PM
That worked! Thank you vey much

0
anonymous (74722)

combine the text or digit in different cells
how can i combine the characters in the different cells ? =A1&B1 -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "hande" <hande@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:25368A03-04AF-4B7E-A423-3A9B0522FCA6@microsoft.com... > how can i combine the characters in the different cells ? ...

Bad Restore Files
When i restore files only restore files from the last month (May) but the emails from june don't appears!!! I tried view all pst files that i found in my pc but i don't find anything. How did you restore and where from? Was your backup current? -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Backup and Restore -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 ----- "edward" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:214f701c45a72$722e8740$a401280a@phx.gbl... > When i restore files only restore files from th...

Lotus Organizer 6.0 calendar file conversion
How do I convert Lotus Organizer 6.0 calendar files to Outlook 2002? You have to get software to do this, I believ it's called Xtend Connect or something like that. There is an option in Outlook for import from Lotus Notes v4 or 5, try it with 5 and see if it works... >-----Original Message----- >How do I convert Lotus Organizer 6.0 calendar files to >Outlook 2002? > >. > ...

month end close out
during "close billing cycle" We get message "account receivable balance does not match closing balance". It tell us which account has the problem and says accounts will not be closed. What causes this and how do we fix it? Sam, Not exactly the same error message, but try this. http://tinyurl.com/8utdt -- = "sam" <sam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2ACF22EE-7377-421D-B985-F819E76C263B@microsoft.com... > during "close billing cycle" We get message "account receivable balance > does > not match closing balance&...

Conditional Comment using Cell value as part of it
What I'm trying to do is the following: if cell(a1) is different from 0(zero) then, cell(b1) should have a comment that say, the value of cell(c1) is the payment, next line the value of cell(a1) was refund, next line Total for today = cell(c1)-cell(a1) Example a1 = $10.00 c1 = $30.00 B1 (comment): $30.00 is the payment (c1) $10.00 was refund (a1) Total for today: $20.00 (c1-a1) can anyone help me on that? thanks in advance ...

Referencing using data in a cell? #2
thanks, that was perfec -- altitude2 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- altitude2k's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1506 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26685 ...

Problem creating formulas when exporting QuickBooks files to Excel
I am having a problem creating formulas in Excel files exportd from QuickBooks. When I copy a formula and paste to different cells, the resulting cells show the same value as the cell where the original formula was created. It is like I am using absolute cell references, but there are no $ signs in the formula. I can change the value in the copied cells to the correct the value by pressing F2 (Edit) key, buit was hoping on finding a better way to resolve this issue. Has anyone else experienced this problem? edpoz wrote: > I am having a problem creating formulas in Excel f...

Using VBA to create PDF
I am successfully using Ron de Bruin's Create and mail PDF files with Excel 2007. Here is the relevant snippet from his function: Myvar.ExportAsFixedFormat _ Type:=xlTypePDF, _ FileName:=Fname, _ Quality:=xlQualityMinimum, _ IncludeDocProperties:=True, _ IgnorePrintAreas:=False, _ OpenAfterPublish:=OpenPDFAfterPublish My questions is, where can I learn more of the above settings? Specifically, I would like to set the paper size to Legal. It's defaulting to Letter...

Saving file to a differant name
In Excel 2003, I have a spreadsheet which i fill in for differant items. I then save a copy with the item number which is in Cell C:3. Is there a way to automate this process, Ie to-do a save as with the contents of cell C:3, from a button click of the toolbar. Thanks Garry Assign this macro to button on your Toolbar. Sub New_Name() Application.ScreenUpdating = False Application.DisplayAlerts = False With ActiveWorkbook .SaveAs Filename:=ActiveWorkbook.Path _ & "\" & ActiveSheet.Range("C3").Value & ".xls" ...

PDF file in Access Runtime 2007
I am trying to save a report as a pdf file in Access 2007. I have previewed the report and clicked pdf or xps. When using the full version of Access it works fine. But when I am running this in a runtime version I get the error "can't save the output data to the file you've selected" The file is not open, I am not using a templete, I have enough free space and I have permisions to write to the folder it is saving. This also happens if I try to email the report. Any Idea? Take a look at this article: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/access/HP051889881033.aspx -- ...

Exporting specific cells then import to access
I have a folder of about 500 excel files. I dont care how many steps it takes to have this done. BUT is it possible to export specific cells out of excel and then import them into access. For example cell b5 = $##,### in all my excel documents. I need to export that specific number in that specific cell. Then I need to insert just those numbers into a table in access. Thanks for the help in advance, Matt >is it possible to export specific cells >out of excel and then import them into access Yes, it is possible.You have to loop on all excel files in that folder, open it one by one,...

How do I fill (copy) nonadjacent cells to adjacent cells?
I have data that is 22 cells apart which are related which has data between them which are 22 cells apart also, i.e. 1's are related, 2's are related data, etc. I have currently: 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 I want: 1 1 1 2 2 2 3 3 3 etc. Thanks Here's the quick and easy on this one. Select your top row that labels your data and then turn on the auto filter feature Data --> Filter --> Auto Filter. You'll then see a drop down on the row above your first column. Click on it and you'll see you can sort ascending/descending. This should put all your data in the format you...

Removing a drop down list from a cell
How do I remove a down list from a cell? Click the Clear All button. -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Cindy" <Cindy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F4F7D078-0FC2-4140-8035-A2D43FFCAC27@microsoft.com... > How do I remove a down list from a cell? Click on Data--->Validation Under the Settings Tab--> Field Allow = Any Value. That should solve it >-----Original Message----- >How do I remove a down list from a cell? >. > Sorry Bob, I am new to Excel spreadsheets. Where do I find the Clear all but...

pausing macro while cells update
I have a spreadsheet with some Reutes Wealth Manager formulas. I wish to change the RIC code in some of these cells and then check if the code is valid. For this i need to pause the macro while the cell/s update. If i use Application.wait then everything pauses and the cells do not update. I guess i need to find out what the code is to refresh the Reuters links Any ideas will be gratefully recieved -- with kind regards Spike You can insert this snippet in where you need to pause. It will operate on tenths of seconds as well as whole seconds. i.e. 1 for whole, 0.1 ...

File level AV in addition to gateway?
On your typical exchange box behind a firewall w/owa access, do you guys consider it a requirement to run file level anti-virus (excluding exchsrv mdbdata folder) as well as Gateway/smtp? Any other folders I should be excluding other than the exchange stores? Thx. tsc if you're going to run file-level AV on an Exchange server (not usually recommended), exclude ALL exchange directories... "TheSingingCat" <meowmeowmeowmeow@meowmeowmeow.com> wrote in message news:419e7504$1_1@news.nucleus.com... > On your typical exchange box behind a firewall w/owa access, do you...

Unable to load saved file
We recently had our laptop stolen. I have a copy of the MS Money file take a few days before hand. The Version being used is Ver 14.0.120.805 2004. When I try to load the copied file onto our new computer I am getting the following message. " Money cannot locate [file name] or cannot open it, possibly because it is a read-only file or you do not have permission to change it or your disk is write protected. If you have chosen the correct file and it cannot be accessed, you will need to click OK and open your most recent backup file. If the file is being used by another application...

TLB in Chunk file problem
Hi, i create dll using Vb.net and i make it TLB using REGASM tool then i add it to my development dic as LIB, in test mode it is working probably but when i create chunk file ,"Extract from development dic then Auto Chunk " and put the chunk file in GP folder , when i try to test my dll it raise the following error "Unhandled object exception: The system cannot find the file specified." your answers is really appreciated ...

a cell's bounding border is not visible
Hi, When selecting a cell usually you see a heavy black border around it and has a light grey background, but this time when I tried to select a cell (or a range of cells) this bounding is not visible. Can anyone help? Is the worksheet protected? To unprotect it, choose Tools>Protection>Unprotect sheet Budweiser wrote: > Hi, > > When selecting a cell usually you see a heavy black border around it and has > a light grey background, but this time when I tried to select a cell (or a > range of cells) this bounding is not visible. > > Can anyone help? -- Deb...

Merge cell & Copy Data from different cell
Can data been copy from a merge cell, if possible pls explain. How to copy word from another cell. Thank you ...

Formatting a cell for the computer's system date
I've set up a monthly expenses spreadsheet to track my payments, due dates, paid dates, balances, etc. I need to have A1 accept the computer's system date when I make changes and print it out. Help!! ...

how to auto copy excel cells to outlook email
hi, great site. not sure if this is the right place to post this: here's what i'm trying to do: i have to send daily emails to a list of people. the info on the email is in an excel doc (eg cells A1 to e5) i manually copy-paste the cells on my daily emails. (not as attachment just ctrl C crtl V) is there a way to automate this process? i.e. a form to get the info from the excel sheet and display it on th email template? hope someone can help, thanks -- asdfasd ----------------------------------------------------------------------- asdfasdf's Profile: http://www.excelforum.co...

How can I retrieve this file: ~WRD0954.doc
I have lost one of my .doc files , I find the file ~WRD0954.doc, however when I tried to open it, it changes to some characters that are not recognizable. That is a temp file, not an actual document file. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "Abbas" <Abbas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:84E8C72C-994C-4D21-BDC2-2C5AD0E71318@microsoft.com... >I have lost one of my .doc files , I find the file ~WRD0954.doc, however >when > I tried to open it, it changes to some char...

Convert a PDF file newsletter to a publisher newsletter
Hi, you guys are great at helping me with so many things, thanks, does anyone know how to convert a pdf newsletter file, created in Indesign by someone else, into a publisher newsletter, thanks for any help, it is much appreciated. One way would be convert the PDF file into an image file and then Insert it into a Publisher page. -- Don Vancouver, USA "k" <k@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7EBEE553-87F5-4EC1-9A84-0331D8493381@microsoft.com... > Hi, you guys are great at helping me with so many things, thanks, does > anyone > know how to conv...

Great Plains, Report to Screen output defafult to maximum size
Have Great Plains the capability of having Report Screen Output to be defaulted to maximum instead of pressing the "maximize" button all the time. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/...

Changed directory for Outlook 2000 pst file
Something happened where my Outlook 2000 now thinks the pst file is on my desktop, yet it is really where it should be- Docs and settings/local settings/applications data/microsoft/outlook/mailbox. How can you change where it looks for the pst file with emails,contacts and calendar. Can you have more than one master pst file like one for work and one for business? How do you switch between them? clif <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Something happened where my Outlook 2000 now thinks the > pst file is on my desktop, yet it is really where it > should be- D...