Enabling outline and level functions on a protected worksheet?

Is there a was to preserve the outline/level functions on a protected
worksheet?

None of the "allow all users to..." elements seem to affect this feature.
When protecting a worksheet is necessary for locking certain formula cells,
the outline/level functions become inoperative. I have been unable to find
the answer in help screens, etc.

Does anyone have the key to this mystery?
0
eanndem (1)

More than likely, you will need to make a VBA Solution. This will require
making macros to unprotect the sheet, perform the action, then reprotect the
sheet. You will want to provide a custom toolbar from which the users can
perform those actions. You may want to re-word and re-ask your question in
the excel.programming newsgroup.
**** Hope it helps! ****

~Dreamboat
Excel VBA Certification Coming Soon!
www.VBAExpress.com/training/
www.Brainbench.com Word Test Developer 2000,2002,2003
********************************
"eanndem" <eanndem@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there a was to preserve the outline/level functions on a protected
> worksheet?
>
> None of the "allow all users to..." elements seem to affect this feature.
> When protecting a worksheet is necessary for locking certain formula
cells,
> the outline/level functions become inoperative. I have been unable to find
> the answer in help screens, etc.
>
> Does anyone have the key to this mystery?

If you protect the worksheet programmatically, you can enable outlining,
and you will be able to use the groups that you have created.

Copy the following code, and paste it in the ThisWorkbook module
(Alt+F11 will open the Visual Basic Editor).
Change the sheet name to refer to the sheet in your workbook:

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
With Worksheets("Sheet1")
    .EnableOutlining = True
    .Protect Password:="password", _
      Contents:=True, UserInterfaceOnly:=True
   End With

End Sub

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)

Calling javascript functions from isv.config button 07-26-05
Hi! I added a button to a menu bar of the opportunity section. My problen is that I don't know how to call a javascript function that exists at the aspx page. For instance: .... <Button Title="test" Tooltip="Test" Icon="" Url="javscript:functionAtAspx()" PassParams="0" WinParams="" WinMode="1"/> .... Any idea? Thanks in advance. Nac. There's no supported way you can do this directly, as all buttons are assumed to navigate to a separate window. How it does this depends on the value of WinMode: -1: Use ...

Naming sections of a worksheet for reporting
I have a somewhat long worksheet. I now highlight and area of the worksheet and call it a print area. What I would like to do is have one section of the worksheet called Revenue, another maybe Costs, and another All which I could refer to before printing. Is there a way to do this? Thanks. Michael Check out Custom-Views, under Menu-View One-at-a-time, set up the Print Area the very way you want it, then go to View, Custom-View, and NameIt1 Then go to the next Print Area and set it up the way you want it, then go to Veiw, Custom-View, and Nameit2 Do all you want,, When you want to Print a...

(User Defined) Function for Copy&Paste?
Dear Excel Power Users, I have a problem with copy of formated text to another sheet. Cell contains multiple fonts and sizes but copies only the first font and size as format for the whole contents example: Sheet1!A1 : mahIgGABEI (a=alpha) (ABEI=superscript) using the " =A1 " function in for example Sheet2: Sheet2!A1=Sheet1!A1 becomes mahIgGABEI (all normal Arial) using Copy&Paste works fine ! Can this be solved using a function instead of Copy&Paste specific cells to other sheets by hand, I cannot vindt the function doing what Copy&Paste does. I've found th...

Protect worksheet but still be able to use Data Filter and Data Sort
I worksheet that I want to protect but I would like the users to still be able to use Data Filter and to be able to sort the Data. Is this possible in Excel 2003 without using macros? When I select Tools/Protection/Protect Worksheet I have notice there are check boxes which allow exceptions to the usual total protection. I have ticked the following boxes: Allow all users of this worksheet too: Select locked cells Select unlocked cells Sort Use AutoFilter However I am still unable to apply autofilter or sort the data. Have I missed a step? Or am I asking for the impossible? Any hep with this ...

Help with Subtotal Function
I have a small database consisting of dates and sales amounts. I would like to subtotal the sales amounts for each month. However, no matter what I do, Excel subtotals for each day. Is it possible to break this down by month? I would appreciate any help. Thank you. I'm not sure what you're using to subtotal, but if it's dates, then maybe you can add a helper column to your data: =text(a2,"yyyy-mm") and drag down (assumes that a real date is in A2) David Portwood wrote: > > I have a small database consisting of dates and sales amounts. I would ...

Hello, can someone tell me how to password protect my Publisher f.
How to Compose a Good Newsgroup Post http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm How to Act Smart on Usenet http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html Getting Your Post Noticed - and Answered http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2001/Mar01/Mar27pmvp.asp How Not to Get Help in Newsgroups http://users.tpg.com.au/bzyhjr/liszt.html Otherwise, you might as well try here: Psychic Friends Network (800) 592-7827 -- Facon - the artificial bacon bits you get in Pizza Hut for sprinkling on salads. "Publisherman" <Publisherman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8A...

DestroyWindow function-help
hello, I have created a dialog based application.I have drawn a menu in it through which i plot another modeless dialog.I have created a class for the dialog called midialog.On in the menu handler i create pointer of this class and by allocating memory using new and using the create() function i create the modeless dialog.Do i need to explicitly call destroywindow in OnOk() and OnCancel()of my dialog?if yes how? coz i am creating dialog in the project's main dialog(thru menu) and then i will i have to pass a handle to destroy the dialog and its object in the OnOk() of my di...

Email from Excel Function
Set oOMail = oOApp.CreateItem(olMailItem) With oOMail .Display .Body = eBody .To = eTo .CC = ecc .Attachments.Add eAttach, olByValue, 1 .Subject = eSubject .Send End With How do I add my signature? Thanks Hi Crazyhorse See http://www.rondebruin.nl/mail/folder3/signature.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm "Crazyhorse" <Crazyhors...

create a new worksheet when a cell has a date entered
I am trying to create a new worksheet when a cell has a date entered into it For instant in Worksheet 1 you type into cell B11 a date I would like to automaticly create a new worksheet and call it that date entered to B11 Then if I type a Date into cell B12 a new worksheet would be created and named the date entered into B12 and so on Is this out of the question See response in your other post. "Zane" wrote: > I am trying to create a new worksheet when a cell has a date entered > into it > > For instant in Worksheet 1 you type into cell B11 a date > I would l...

Adding wizard functions?
Hi, I created a calendar from a template but with substantial changes. How can I modify this document so that the "calendar options" function works with my new document? Keyboardhead wrote: > Hi, > I created a calendar from a template but with substantial changes. > How can I modify this document so that the "calendar options" > function works with my new document? You can't add calendar wizard functions to a custom publication. Wizards are proprietary and require you to use existing templates. -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.publi...

IE8: How do I get Protected Mode to be on?
No matter what Security or Internet Zone settings I select, including the defaults, every web page (at the bottom) says Protected Mode: Off. I'd like to know how to turn it on. Thanks. KJS schrieb: > No matter what Security or Internet Zone settings I select, including the > defaults, every web page (at the bottom) says Protected Mode: Off. I'd like > to know how to turn it on. Thanks. As it's name microsoft.public.dotnet.framework says, this group is about the .Net (dotnet) Framework: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/netframework/default.aspx Try aga...

How to use the Wild Card Function
How to use the Wild Card Function in search? It seems to me it's not working. For ex, if I search for part # like *text* I have no results. Well, GP doesn't support wild card searches so that may be your problem. If you're using SmartList or the Navigation Lists, you can use the Contains operator to search for text within a word. -- Charles Allen, MVP "icc" wrote: > How to use the Wild Card Function in search? It seems to me it's not working. > For ex, if I search for part # like *text* I have no results. My problem that I need to see qty on ha...

Filter Switches vs Sheet Protection?
Excel 2000 ... TabSheet contains "Filter" Switches ... However, when I "Protect" TabSheet "Filter" Switches appear to deactivate ... That said ... is there a way to set TabSheet Protection so "Filter" Switches will still work??? Thanks ... Kha I believe with XL2000 you need to use: With ActiveSheet .Protect Password:="hello", UserInterfaceOnly:=True .EnableAutoFilter = True End With With XL2003 you have the option of setting it when you protect the sheet, or you could use: With ActiveSheet .Protect Password:="hello&qu...

All of my Publisher 2000 files are write protected
Every day I work in a file, I need to save a new version because they are write protected. Once I've made a new version for the day, I can continue to work in and save that file just fine, but the next day I'll get the write protected message again and have to save to a new version. This just started happening recently, I never changed my settings or set anything up to write protect. How do I turn it OFF? Its annoying to have so many versions of the same thing and too easy to start working in the wrong one. Are you saving your files to a removable disk? Do you mean your files are rea...

Outlook client functionality turned off by CRM Outlook client
Since I have installed the new CRM 3.0 Outlook laptop client the following is happening in Outlook. I have my preferences in Outlook set up open the previous email when an email I am reading is deleted. (Tools->Options->Email Options) That way I can quickly go through my mail without returning to the Inbox screen after every email. Now after installing the CRM client this is not happening. I am returned to the Inbox after deleting the current email. My options are still set as before and I even tried to turn this feature off and back on but still it doesn't work. This is ...

Macro to Protect cells
Total Excel virgin here (and proud of it - LOL). I'm putting together a sheet that will have a lot of cells that a client will enter the values in, and then send to HIS client to fill in the rest. What I need to do, is pull up this sheet, allow my client to fill in the fields he needs to, then run a macro to protect (password or another variant) those cells. As I will know each and every time which cells need to be protected, what would the process be to create this? If someone would at least point me in the right direction, I'd greatly appreciate it. Proud, Cells are protected w...

formula in different worksheets
If I have the following formula in a worksheet to bring up a message box =IF((F4-E4)>=15,PromptPayment()+F4-E4,F4-E4) How can I transfer some information from different cells to a new worksheet if the formula above works? Thanks Monty Hi formulas can't change other formulas. If you need such things maybe the following is interesting for you: http://www.dicks-blog.com/archives/2004/12/22/functions-that-do-things/trackback/ -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Monty" <Monty@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:30A14E15-4B1D-47AA-8DDE-7969...

Summarizing data from one worksheet to another
This is (hopefully) an easy question (with an easy answer), but I'm not having much luck figuring it out on my own. I've got a workbook that consists of two worksheets: Data and Summary. Column A of Data is a user-enterable column called "Date" Column B of Data is a user-enterable column called "Task" Column C of Data is a user-enterable column called "Total" The user will enter the data in any order, and there will be many repeats of each "Task" they enter. On the second worksheet, I want to be able to display a list of each unique Task t...

Nested functions in conditional formatting formulae
I am trying to format a range of cells as a function of cell value compared with other cells. My attempts have failed so far. For e.g.: =OR(ADDRESS(ROW(),COLUMN())=$B$18,ADDRESS(ROW(),COLUMN())=$B$17) =OR(INDIRECT(CONCATENATE("R",(ROW()+1),"C",COLUMN()),FALSE)=B17) I do not wish to write VB code. Thanks in advance for any ideas. Maybe you could post what you are trying to achive it's hard to guess what you are trying to do -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Joseph" <Joseph@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3331CF9E-E84E-44D0-8186-6F9E19DEE2...

When saving a worksheet in excel message "document not saved"
When saving a worksheet that I use every day and changing data everyday today I am getting a message saying "document not saved" and it will not save the new information either through the icon or File Save as. Any suggestions what is going wrong. Can you save it as a new name in the same folder? If no, can you save it as a new name in a different folder? Bailey wrote: > > When saving a worksheet that I use every day and changing data everyday today > I am getting a message saying "document not saved" and it will not save the > new information either th...

Exchange 2003 function level
Hi, I run SBS 2003 and plan to do the 2008 migration. I noticed my Exchange 2003 function level is mixed mode. I understand I need to rise to native mode prior to the migration. My question is if it is safe to do it? Have everyone seen any problem? what should I concern? Thanks in advance! Lisa Hi Lisa, afaik there have not been any issues with raising the functional levels. But, as always, be sure you have a tested backup before making any changes. - Larry Please post the resolution to your issue so others may benefit - Get Your SBS Health Check at www.sbsbpa...

Is there an "Execute" worksheet function?
Is there a way I can get Excel to "execute" an expression that is stored in a cell as a test string? Say C4 contains "3+4". Can I put some expression in C5 that will execute that expression and result in "7"? I tried =calculate(C4) and a few other things, but no joy. in the absence of putting = in front of c4, try this =LEFT(C4,FIND("+",C4)-1)+RIGHT(C4,LEN(C4)-FIND("+",C4)) -- Don Guillett Excel MVP SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "LurfysMa" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message news:o5fn83thi0g5tivf55abvhv...

Recovering the outlook password from a non functional windows installation HELP !
Already posted: someone can help me ? Hi ! I've a problem: one of our customer bring us his own computer with a non functional windows xp installation for data recovery. This computer have a windows xp SP2 with office 2003. The only one thing we can't recover was the mail pop3 password: the customer can't remember it and we are totally unable to recover ! :( This customer told us that is impossible contact the mail provider and reset the mail password, maybe it's something statal or the mail is overseas. We know this customer from years, and trust him absolutely, we al...

is it possible to Hide certain worksheets from certain users?
is it possible to Hide certain worksheets from certain users? if Yes which version of Excel offers this option? there is no built-in facility, you would have to build it all (and it is no simple). -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Admin" <Admin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E10B3C1B-9E53-4927-BE3B-BE5C1AFFA223@microsoft.com... > is it possible to Hide certain worksheets from certain users? > > if Yes which version of Excel offers this option? > It requires using macros, which may or may not work for y...

Sheet Protection Problem
Hello All, Using Excel XP. I have 100 worksheets in a workbook where I have a range in each one that I have the cells protected. I am using VB code to protect and unprotect the worksheets. (see below). The problem that I am having is after unprotecting the sheets and then protecting them again using the VB code I can go to the protected cells and change the data (which I don't what to happen). I looked at the Protect Sheet Box where it says "Allow all users of the worksheet to:..." the first box in the group, Select Locked Cells is checked. I don't...