Email addresses in a comma-delimited (CSV) file

I am trying to create a csv from another application to be imported into
Excel. One of the columns will contain email addresses. Is there a way that I
can format the data in the column to have the addresses be 'links' when
brought into Excel.

First, hyperlinks are not just formatting.  The Insert|hyperlink style of
hyperlinks are objects in excel.

Second, CSV files are plain old text.  They don't hold these kinds of objects.
(And they also don't contain any formatting properties, either.)

But third, you may be able to cheat a bit.

Can you go back to the other application and have them change the way the email
field in the CSV file is created.

If you can get them to create a text field that looks like:
"=hyperlink(""mailto:emailaddresshere@domain.com"")"

like:

1234,"=hyperlink(""mailto:emailaddresshere@domain.com"")","another field",...

For me, xl2003 (with my USA function names) sees this field as a formula.  The
cell isn't formatted to show a hyperlink (in my simple tests).  But when you
click on one of those cells, the default email program starts up correctly.

============
Alternatively, instead of opening the .CSV file by just double clicking on it or
using File|open (in xl2003 menus), you could open the file using a macro in a
workbook dedicated to opening these CSV type files.

Then the macro could open the file and even convert the values in the fields to
hyperlinks.

--

Dave Peterson
0

SBS 2003 and Email Not Receiving

Emails #8
i am recieving my emails ten minutes after everyone else in the company and it is started to effect urgent matters, i havegone into outlok tools to see if i could change anything but that doesnt seem to have worked, can someone please help What version of Outlook are you using? If Outlook 2003 do you have the Junk Mail filter turned on? Is this an Exchange Environment? If so, what version. "Kim" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:fb2901c43e6f$d095b2a0$a501280a@phx.gbl... >i am recieving my emails ten minutes after everyone else > in the co...

Retrieve Lost Email

can't send or receive emails

Here is fix for Windows file problems

Fax Icon on my File menu and toolbar

multiple email identities

Outlook 2007 addresses
How can I find the list of addresses I have sent emails to? When you start a new email you can put a letter in the To line and list will come up. Where is that list? How can I print it out? Thanks Matt that is the autocomplete cache. You would need a utility to print it out. http://www.outlook-tips.net/archives/2004/20040621.htm http://www.slipstick.com/problems/nicknamecache.asp -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Out...

Outlook receiving zip files

Re: teach me how to send friends email

unable to read file #7

Importing AOL Email File Cabinet