Edit box - Excel 2002

Hello NG,

I'm amazed, I do a lot with VB and sometimes use Excel but I can't figure
how to create a simple 'edit box' or 'text box' that modifies the content of
a cell.
When using the 'Form' toolbox, the spinner works but the 'Edit box' is
disabled.

Thanks for your ideas.

Carl

Carl,

As I understand it, those controls that are disabled are not intended as
worksheet controls, but are for dialog sheets.

There is a textbox on the Drawing toolbar that could be used, or you could
use the textbox on the ActiveX Control toolbar.

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"Carl Kasper" <kaifareast@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello NG,
>
> I'm amazed, I do a lot with VB and sometimes use Excel but I can't figure
> how to create a simple 'edit box' or 'text box' that modifies the content
of
> a cell.
> When using the 'Form' toolbox, the spinner works but the 'Edit box' is
> disabled.
>
> Thanks for your ideas.
>
> Carl

0
bob.phillips1 (6510)
2/23/2004 9:15:01 AM
Bob, the 'Text Box' on the Drawing toolbar does not have a link property so
that the result is transferred to a certain cell. The same seems the case
for the TextBox of the Control Toolbar.

Because of macro security, I can't use any VBA code within the workbook but
dialog forms seem to build on VBA.

Some background:
I use one sheet that includes all number data. All other sheets reference
this sheet as a base for calculations. At some occasions this data needs to
be modified. Important is that the modification should not directly take
place on this data sheet but from a different more user-friendly sheet.
As mentioned, so far only the spinner control from the Forms toolbar was
able to serve this purpose. But, it just allows up/down increments instead
of actually entering a number.

Any idea.

Carl

"Bob Phillips" <bob.phillips@notheretiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> Carl,
>
> As I understand it, those controls that are disabled are not intended as
> worksheet controls, but are for dialog sheets.
>
> There is a textbox on the Drawing toolbar that could be used, or you could
> use the textbox on the ActiveX Control toolbar.
>
> --
>
> HTH
>
> Bob Phillips
>     ... looking out across Poole Harbour to the Purbecks
>
> "Carl Kasper" <kaifareast@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hello NG,
> >
> > I'm amazed, I do a lot with VB and sometimes use Excel but I can't
figure
> > how to create a simple 'edit box' or 'text box' that modifies the
content
> of
> > a cell.
> > When using the 'Form' toolbox, the spinner works but the 'Edit box' is
> > disabled.
> >
> > Thanks for your ideas.
> >
> > Carl

Try the textbox from the control toolbox toolbar.

Place your textbox in the worksheet and make sure you're in design mode (icon on
the same control toolbox toolbar).

Then rightclick on the textbox and select properties.   Look for LinkedCell.

Depending on what you need, you may want to play around with these, too:

EnterKeyBehavior to True (enter key moves to new line within the textbox)
MultiLine to True
Scollbars to 2-fmScrollbarsVertical
WordWrap to True

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

"Dave Peterson" <ec35720@msn.com> wrote in message
> Try the textbox from the control toolbox toolbar.
>
> Place your textbox in the worksheet and make sure you're in design mode
(icon on
> the same control toolbox toolbar).
>
> Then rightclick on the textbox and select properties.   Look for
LinkedCell.

> Depending on what you need, you may want to play around with these, too:
>
> EnterKeyBehavior to True (enter key moves to new line within the textbox)
> MultiLine to True
> Scollbars to 2-fmScrollbarsVertical
> WordWrap to True
>

> Carl Kasper wrote:
> >
> > Bob, the 'Text Box' on the Drawing toolbar does not have a link property
so
> > that the result is transferred to a certain cell. The same seems the
case
> > for the TextBox of the Control Toolbar.
> >
> > Because of macro security, I can't use any VBA code within the workbook
but
> > dialog forms seem to build on VBA.
> >
> > Some background:
> > I use one sheet that includes all number data. All other sheets
reference
> > this sheet as a base for calculations. At some occasions this data needs
> > be modified. Important is that the modification should not directly take
> > place on this data sheet but from a different more user-friendly sheet.
> > As mentioned, so far only the spinner control from the Forms toolbar was
> > able to serve this purpose. But, it just allows up/down increments
instead
> > of actually entering a number.
> >
> > Any idea.
> >
> > Carl
> >
> > "Bob Phillips" <bob.phillips@notheretiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> > > Carl,
> > >
> > > As I understand it, those controls that are disabled are not intended
as
> > > worksheet controls, but are for dialog sheets.
> > >
> > > There is a textbox on the Drawing toolbar that could be used, or you
could
> > > use the textbox on the ActiveX Control toolbar.
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> > > HTH
> > >
> > > Bob Phillips
> > >     ... looking out across Poole Harbour to the Purbecks
> > > (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct)
> > >
> > > "Carl Kasper" <kaifareast@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > figure
> > content
> > > of

> --
>
> Dave Peterson
> ec35720@msn.com

Why does [group] appear after the filename in Excel 2003?
I upgraded from Office 2000 to Office 2003 this morning. An Excel document I created yesterday in a shared network location that has never been touched by anyone but me is now opening with [Group] status. I need to activate Autofilter, but it is unavailable (greyed) on the Tools --> Filter menu. I also can't locate a definition for this setting or how to turn it off, nor do I have any idea why it is in this "group" mode. It is definitely not a shared workbook. Please help! You may have more than one sheets selected simoultaneously. Righclick a sheet tab and select ...

Outlook 2002 question #4
Hi. My Outlook 2002 used to show whether I had replied to a message and on what date in a yellow bar across the top part of the preview pane. I can't seem to find out how to get that to show again. Does anyone know how to set this option up? I have looked all around in the menus and such but cannot see where to do this. Thanks Robin Anyone know the answer to this problem? Robin "Robin" <me5@privacy.net> wrote in message news:W8qdnXfkXPysoUPeRVn-rw@comcast.com... > Hi. My Outlook 2002 used to show whether I had replied to a message and > on > what date in...

hyperlink to existing excel file
When I create a hyperlink to an existing excel file and then click on it, explorer opens to the folder that the file is in instead of the excel file opening. Just to test I pointed it to a word document and the doc file opened fine. How do I get a hyperlink to open the excel file? Thanks. Are you sure it isn't to the folder instead. Only way I can reproduce that is if I select the folder instead of the file when I create the hyperlink. As expected if I use a hyperlink to a particular file it will open.. -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "purplehaz" <software@for.me> wrote i...

Show Excel in two separate instances/two monitors?
I've recently been upgraded to two monitors (one of the few things IT has done right around here!). But try as I might, I can't get two Excel (2003) workbooks to show in two separate instances so I can put one on each monitor! Any solutions? Ed Hi Ed, open 2 workbooks -- click the Maximize button (so you are in resize mode) --- drag a workbook by the titlebar to the second monitor... Warm Regards, Crystal * (: have an awesome day :) * MVP Access Remote Programming and Training strive4peace2006 at yahoo.com * Ed wrote: > I've recently been upgraded to t...

How can I asign a number value to a text line in Excel?
tI have a Backgammon Club with Internal Club Rankings that are in Text. I want my members to report their wins - 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place - in tournaments to my web site . I would like them to imput: their nickname, date of tournament, tournament Room #, tournament points played for, and host of the tournament. I would further like the calculation to display any change in Ranking as a text cell. Additionally, I want to show for the member, how many more points are needed to get to the next levle and what that (Text)level is. If there is a "what if" for this please advise. Ri...

Hours and Minutes in Excell working with 5 digits hhhhh:mm
I use a spreadsheet at work to record aircraft flying hours in the hours and minutes format i.e 8475:45 if then i fit a component with a life of 3000:00 hrs and then want a figure of when the component is due to be changed then excell has a major problem with adding the two values together how can i use 5 digits for the hours any ideas ? Hi AFAIK the maximum for Excel is 9999 hours. Above that you can't use Excel's date/time values -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Dougie -b-" <Dougie -b-@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:C5BAA72...

Plot area of embedded charts unexplainably shrinks in Excel 2003 S
I am working on a large spreadsheet full of numerical data. It contains several dozen bar and line graphs embedded across several worksheets. I have a decent understanding of Excel and Excel graphs but do not use VBA. The problem I have with Excel is that it sometimes – and unpredictably – (vertically) shrinks the plot areas of the embedded graphs. This can happen between opening the document and printing it. Other times, the plot area would shrink if I click on the plot area with my mouse, and then click off on to a cell in the same worksheet. The chart area remains the same siz...

Is there a way to setup excel to prompt for a backup copy upon ex.
I want to automatically create a backup onto a disk each time I exit program. "sonny" wrote: > It depends on which version of Excel as to how. It is also preferred that the content of you request not be typed in the Subject field. Please take advantage of the Message area, even for short inquiries. Thanks |:>) "sonny" wrote: > I am currently using 2000. Thanks "CyberTaz" wrote: > It depends on which version of Excel as to how. > > It is also preferred that the content of you request not be typed in the > Subject field. Ple...

Outlook 2000 Starts with Information Box
On some computers running NT4 and Exchange 5.5 with XP pro Clients A message box appears about macros added to additional files, why does this box appear? and how do I stop it from appearing every time I sart Outlook 2000? Please state the full error you get. You can control macro's in Outlook by Tools-> Macro-> Security -- Roady [MVP] www.sparnaaij.net Microsoft Office and Microsoft Office related News Also Outlook FAQ, How To's, Downloads and more... Tips of the month: -Create your own fully customized Toolbar -Creating a Classic View in Outlook 2003 Subscribe to the new...

Control can't be edited; it's bound to a replication system column 'TableName'.
I have an Access 2007 accdb database. It hast a table in it with field names TableName and FieldName and a bunch of others. This table has had a small number of records added to it (37) over the life of the database. Suddenly, the two fields TableName and FieldName cannot be edited. That is even if the table is open as a table and you try to type a new record. When you do that an error message is briefly displayed in the left hand end of the Access main window's status bar. For example if you try to input anything into the TableName field you will be blocked and you will briefl...

Combo Box from data in another tab
Is it possible to create a combo box from data that's in another tab? I have a combo box that's from data in hidden columns. But now I need to move all that hidden data to another tab in the same file. But when I go into properties and go to the ListFillRange option, it won't let me enter another tab name. -- Message posted via OfficeKB.com http://www.officekb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/ms-excel/200508/1 I have called data from another tab with a combo box by doing th following: First - name the range of the data on the other tab. This can be don with the shortcut on the toolbar (l...

Sounds with Excel
Hello Friends Is it possible and how can I do this task with ExcelXp: If the value of cell A1 on "my worksheet" in "my workbook" is "1"-play any sound, If cell A1 is empty-don't play sound. For the next cell on the same sheet B1: if B1=1- play sound different than the sound for the cell A1, if B1 is empty-don't play sound. If both cells A1=1 AND B1=1 play sound different than the sounds for cell A1 and cell B1. I'm running WindowsXP. Thank you. Hi Tim have a look at http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/tips/tip87.htm Frank Tim wrote: > Hello Friends...

cannot download updates for office mac 2004 student/teacher edition
Hello, I have not been able to download office updates for my 2004 version of Office Mac student/teacher since 2005/2006 at home. I first had it on my iBook G4 and received updates no problem until late 2005 early 2006. Then I could only get the updates when I used the open internet connection at the Apple store or another open connection not in my house. When I bought my new iMac G5 and installed the second of three licenses on this computer, I could not get updates for this one either. However, my friend, who is using the third license, had no problem getting the updates for his Macbook...

display countdown timer in Excel
I'd like to display (in Excel 2003) a countdown timer in a worksheet (either in a cell or a textbox or other control). I want the user to be able to see the clock tick down from say 20 seconds to 0 in one second increments (or decrements, I guess). Is there a function that will do this? If this is somethingVBA can handle better, I can post this question in the programming newsgroup. Thanks, Bert It has to be done through VBA. You could write code or have someone do it for you. That someone would be Bob Phillips who has a free downlaodable workbook with a Timer setup. http://...

Excel 2000
Hi! *First off:* I have created a spreadsheet that has a dynamic range an data validation. *Next:* i know i can add options to the 'dynamic range' and my dro down menu will add the option to its list. *Problem:* How can I make it so the user can add data into th validated data list/drop down menu rather than having the user addin it into the dynamic range? *Example:*this drop down menu indicates how often a system is updated weekly, monthly, etc. etc... i don't want to restrict it, so i want t make it so they can indicate their own time on how often those update occur. TIA -...

Publisher 2002 #15
I am tyring to print an 8 page newsletter but am only able to print one side of the page. I am using 11X17 size paper and have made sure all settings are correct. Is there anything else I can do? Are you saying you have a duplex printer that will not duplex? If you do not have a duplex printer, then you have to do the pages manually. -- ...

Preventing Excel files from being moved or deleted
What permissions setting is used to prevent users from moving or deleting an Excel file on a network? This is more of an network operating system setting question. I would think putting the file on a share that the users only had readonly access would be enough. But this would mean that the users could still copy (not move) the file. And they wouldn't be able to update the workbook. bg500 wrote: > > What permissions setting is used to prevent users from moving or deleting an > Excel file on a network? -- Dave Peterson All explained in Start>Help and Support "p...

Old home page in website view FrontPage 2002
I have FrontPage 2002. I reworked my whole website although the home page had a few changes. Everything seemed to remained linked correctly, the browser preview was perfect, published fine, but now my online website view shows the old home page. If I navigate to the other pages, they are the new versions. If I navigate back to home page from any of the other pages, I get the new home page. Where is this old home page coming from? It's not to be found in the navigation view. I've attempted some things like publishing the whole thing (rather than separate pages), emptying t...

Excel or Access?
I have server data that is about 200-300 rows/records and includes abou 25 columns/fields. Coworkers have suggested that this data shoul reside in a database, such as Access, and then import/link to it fro Excel for reporting purposes. Does anyone have a recommendation/comment/suggestion on this? I a comfortable using Excel as my "database" for this data that will no grow much larger than it already is, and is easier for me to perfor the reporting in Excel simply on another sheet. Thanks! Ric -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi, Why fix what's not broken? ...

Editing tasks.... how??
I have outlook all set up and am excited about getting it rolling but when I went in today to update a task it would allow me to click in the body but not type anything. It did not give any warnings it just did not type. Text box would not work... nothing. I do have it linked to my blackberry so I went to my blackberry and made the change but to be honest that is NOT going to work, if I have to do that EVERY time I want to update a task. I dont have anything assigned to anyone and other than it being linked to my blackberry it is linked to someone else. Any ideas on how to fix this??...

Starting a macro by editing a cell
I would like a macro to be initiated whenever someone edits a particula cell, does anyone now how this can be done? Many Thanks, Yianni -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Yiannis You would need on change macro in the worksheet module Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Excel.Range) If Target.Address = "$A$1" Then my code gets actioned here if target.value = "" then exit sub end if End If End Su -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Editing field properties
Hi everyone, I need to change the properties of a lot of StyleRef fields, but am not sure how to go about it. Where a StyleRef refers to "Heading 1" I need it to refer to "Heading 2". The fields are mainly in headers and footers, but could be anywhere in a document. -- Stephenc The first step is to press Alt+F9 to display all the field codes in the document. The StyleRef field codes will probably look like { STYLEREF "Heading 1" \* MERGEFORMAT } although the keywords may be lower case or mixed case if some of the fields were created manu...

can't edit or delete rules in Outlook 2002
Hi All, In the Rules Wizard, some rules are shown, but I cannot Edit Modify or Delete them or see the conditions for them. Nor if I click the RUN NOW button do the rules show in the rules list box. Other rules are OK. Why does this happen? Can this be fixed? Does it make a difference that this pst file was viewed in Outlook 2003 (but not converted to Outlook 2003)? Many thanks in advance ...

Automatic open locked excel file through access control
We know,Excel has prompt password to open it files. Is it possible to create a code that can supplies the excel prompt password?.So that when we open the excel file through our access control in a form, the excel files can be opened automatically.But when the excel files opened from its default icon,it will prompt a password first. On Jul 10, 8:43 pm, "shiro" <s...@play.com> wrote: > We know,Excel has prompt password > to open it files. > Is it possible to create a code that can > supplies the excel prompt password?.So that when we > open the excel file throu...

Typing text is impossibly slow in text boxes when in publishing layout
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel When I try to type or edit text in a text box in a template document (a newsletter template) the typing, editing, deleting, backspacing or what ever, is absolutely impossibly slow. Am I doing something wrong or do I have something set up wrong. If it remains this way I will not be able to work in this program. Apart from using Publishing Layout View, I suspect you are not doing anything wrong. Publishing Layout View requires very powerful hardware, and even then it tends to crash a lot. If I were you...